*OFFICIAL* Benq PE7700 Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 5110 Old 04-20-2005, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got mine yesterday. And all i can tell you right out of the box its perfect for me. This is my first PJ, i am no expert in this but i know enough to tell what pic looks good. I tested it with component video signal, as my sony NS975V HDMI output did not work (brand new dvd player i got yesterday too, grrrr).

I am attaching the projection image size table, i know its similar to MT700 but it belongs here too.

I projected the image on plain white wall in my family room and it was awesome, for a second i tought do i really need a screen. I might go with dalite high contrast (< $200). Oh, my screen size was 92' projected on the wall.

Here is my list of equipment:
1. PE7700
2. Sony NS975V (HDMI did not work)
3. 30" HMDI cable from pccables
4. Used 6" monster component
5. Plain white wall

People who want a quality home theater under $3000 can do this.

I have been researching sony hs51, MT700 but finally pulled the trigger on this. i am happy, except my sony dvd player. I think i am going to go to CC and by the LG for now and then pre order panny s97s on the web.

temp.pdf 99.419921875k . file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5110 Old 04-20-2005, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HiHoStevo
Art...........

I have just that problem... a proliferation of remotes, such that I and my son are the only ones that can run the theater... (not necessarily a bad thing).

However, do you have any experience with single remotes that will run everything... to the point where the Wife can just push a button for what she wants and go.... Oh Yeah... it cannot cost as much as the silly projector!!

You should check out some remotes in Logitech Harmony line. They are made to do exactly this.
post #273 of 5110 Old 04-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by presenter
Greetings checklst,

Hey thanks, that's really nice to hear. I'm glad you love it. BTW, as to the wife "problem", you can never actually make that go away until you can hand them a single remote control that they can actually easily use to do anything they would want. Good luck with that! -art

LOL, LOL
post #274 of 5110 Old 04-20-2005, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My Sherwood P-965 Preamp/Tuner/Processor has a remote (RNC-500) that has memory macros that can be programmed to set the operation of 3 source units. http://sherwoodamerica.com/prod_rnc500.html

Could solve your one-remote needs.

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #275 of 5110 Old 04-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys I do have a question about the Remote on/off. Does it hurt just to use the remote off, as compaired to a total hard power down. I ran a clean power line to the PJ and did not put it on a switch. I am Ceiling mounting the PJ so it's a little hard to get to the hard switch.

The dry wall is going to be installed in a few days and I still could add a switch, if you guys thing leaving the PJ on will damage or wear it out quicker.

What do you think? Wall Switch or no switch?

Thanks Dave
post #276 of 5110 Old 04-20-2005, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

There's not much of a difference between hard and soft on/off. Ideally you'd use the switch on the projector, but convenience usually trumps the possible slight advantage, especially in your case. Just clean the filters a little more often than recommended since a fan is probably running all the time (can't confirm as I don't have this projector, but it does on the X1, for example).
post #277 of 5110 Old 04-20-2005, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by HiHoStevo
Art...........

I have just that problem... a proliferation of remotes, such that I and my son are the only ones that can run the theater... (not necessarily a bad thing).

However, do you have any experience with single remotes that will run everything... to the point where the Wife can just push a button for what she wants and go.... Oh Yeah... it cannot cost as much as the silly projector!!

First allow for an abject apology for not asking this question of Mike, who is the guru of SurfRemote.com.... bow, scrape, beg forgiveness............

In Nevada I am running the BenQ 8700, a Denon 3805, an RCA DTC-210, an X-box, a Gateway 901X, a Gefen 4 port DVI switch, and a Replay 5040. The Denon and RCA came with Multi remotes, but I was more interested in something like I see at CES, which of course I cannot afford! It would be so cool if my wife could simply come in and push a single button "DVD" let's say and the projector powers up, then the Denon Powers on, then the DVD player, then after a little time the remote would have to tell the projector that it wants to use the DVI or Component as necessary, switch to the anamorphic setting, and use memory #1 for color.

Then with one more button push everything powers down.

Is it possible to do this without breaking the bank??

I have been using a "one for all" remote that has a JP1 input. I paid a nice person to program it to work with my Denon ... as Denon receivers do not use "normal" IR codes... so I used to be able to use that remote when I had a rear projection TV to do all the above (well not switch to anamorphic). Now I just use it to turn on the Denon, adjust volume, select the appropriate source (DVD, PVR, etc)... it is set up so that you can just push a single red button and it turns everything on you want on..., but I would really like something a bit more "user-friendly" for the wife.

I have not picked the components for Utah yet.......... that is why I am spending so much time on these forum's instead of playing Mercenaries or Halo2! But I am going to need another receiver (thinking of Denon 2105, I like having the ability to switch three component in's... would love the Marantz 8500 with it's DVI switching capability... but oh well you can't have everything), upconverting DVD player (probably Bravo D-2 or Panny S-97), projector... (7700, MT-700, H31, H77), HD Receiver (used LSS-3200) and speakers.

Thanks,

Steve

Oh, if you did not get the PM, the offsets for 7 feet, 9 feet, and 11 feet, should have been... 10.9", 14", & 17.2"...... from lens center to top/bottom of image. How did this compare to what you had??

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #278 of 5110 Old 04-20-2005, 10:44 AM

Remotes are a subjective thing. I can only echo what was said above in recommending the Harmony remote. You use it exactly as you say, push a button labeled DVD and it changes everything to the right setting, including the lights and popcorn machine (well maybe not).

Allen
post #279 of 5110 Old 04-20-2005, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't want to turn this into a remote discussion (that's what the "Remote Control" forum's for), but there are many possiblities for a single, wife-friendly, universal remote, ranging from $100-1000. For a hard-button remote, look at the PC-programmable URC remotes (MX-700, 800 or 850) or the Harmonys. For a touchscreen remote, look at the Pronto TSU-3000or 7000, or the URC MX-3000.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #280 of 5110 Old 04-20-2005, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Mike I will do a search around the web for more info.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #281 of 5110 Old 04-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Alas, remotes,

I haven't really screwed around with them, but I have a friend I recommended one of the Harmony's to. He got it, and got it programmed. What is interesing about it, is that it is "activity" based. Which I figure is perfect for "wives".

Properly set up, you can have a button that - turns on the projector, the receiver, switches the receiver to cable TV, lowers the screen (if you have an IR capability for your screen) etc. Hit a different button, and it could be the same basic sequence but turns on and kicks the DVD player into play, and selects DVD as the source on your receiver, etc.

Thus it avoids people getting "confused" by hitting the wrong button, and then starting to screw up everything else. Since it can effectively turn off, back on, each devide it tends to avoid that situation where something on - that you want on, gets turned off, etc. visit remotecentral.com for good remote reviews. -art

-art

Reviewing projectors sure beats selling them...
---but then, watching The 5th Element
-----for the hundreth time sure is getting old.
ProjectorReviews.com
post #282 of 5110 Old 04-21-2005, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Ordered my 7700, along with a iScan HD+ today. Our grateful hosts just got them in stock. Art, thou art a good salesman. I was considering building a HTPC instead of getting the iScan, but the wife factor came in there too. Also it will be nice to have one cable to the projector for many inputs.
Warren.
post #283 of 5110 Old 04-22-2005, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rana1224
Just got mine yesterday. And all i can tell you right out of the box its perfect for me. This is my first PJ, i am no expert in this but i know enough to tell what pic looks good. I tested it with component video signal, as my sony NS975V HDMI output did not work (brand new dvd player i got yesterday too, grrrr).

I am attaching the projection image size table, i know its similar to MT700 but it belongs here too.

I projected the image on plain white wall in my family room and it was awesome, for a second i tought do i really need a screen. I might go with dalite high contrast (< $200). Oh, my screen size was 92' projected on the wall.

Here is my list of equipment:
1. PE7700
2. Sony NS975V (HDMI did not work)
3. 30" HMDI cable from pccables
4. Used 6" monster component
5. Plain white wall

People who want a quality home theater under $3000 can do this.

I have been researching sony hs51, MT700 but finally pulled the trigger on this. i am happy, except my sony dvd player. I think i am going to go to CC and by the LG for now and then pre order panny s97s on the web.

Congrats Rana on your purchase... I was kind of hoping that all those zeroes on the image offset was just someone that was too lazy to measure it. I do find it a bit odd that BenQ went with zero offset on this piece ... I am hoping to get in a demo unit within a week to do some testing and hopefully before I send the sencore unit back so I can get some additional information and charts to post. It will be tight. I got a chance to see the 8720 albeit in a Runco unit at the Montreal Audio show and it looked stunning.... I am getting a bit too impatient to wait till August for the 8720 and it will likely be in a much different price point.

On the lack of 3:2 pulldown that was reported... the specs show differently..and I swear when I saw it at CES it did in fact have 3:2 pulldown capabilities. Rana ... have fun with your new toy..

Robert
post #284 of 5110 Old 04-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Pip

Quote:
originally posted by rana 1224

Rana:

Have you test your 975 with another display to make sure that the player is the problem? My Toshiba MT700 was very picky with HDCP handshake. With both a Zenith and a Samsung DVD player, commercial DVDs would not play on the MT700. The HDMI input synced, Avia played fine, as did all of my burned DVD-Rs, but with all commercial DVDs, it lost sync with an "unsupported" message. Both of these machines worked fine with my RP HDMI display.

I went out and bought the cheap Toshiba HDMI player. This one works fine on the 700.

Pip
post #285 of 5110 Old 04-22-2005, 01:33 PM

pip,
I don't have access to another HDMI display source. You are right about --> it detects the HDMI (525p) (i can see that on bottom right of my screen ) but then it goes black. or sometimes it says "unsupported"

I got LG 418 and that is working fine.

So looks like this PJ is very picky, i did not try dvd-r on sony, i will try it tonight and will let you know.

If you want to talk please PM me and lets see if we can resolve this or atleast draw a conclusion. Luckly i have not returned my dvd player , i was going to do that tomorrow, i will now. let me know
post #286 of 5110 Old 04-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Pip

rana:

Check out the 975 with a DVD- R. If that plays, it provides more evidence for an HDCP hasndshake problem with the projector.

I think we need more input from other owners, and some HDCP experts.

Pip
post #287 of 5110 Old 04-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

That is a huge downer in my opinion. I really don't get all these problems with DVI and HDMI. Can't companies do a little experimenting before they release these things. I would hate to get a new pj then find out it won't work with 5 different DVD players because it has some sort of HDCP peculiararity. I know there are standards for HDMI, DVI and HDCP. Why can't these manufacturers get it straight.
post #288 of 5110 Old 04-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

I've asked this question in the MT700 thread, but will ask it here as well, in case they are different. Does the Benq support letterbox zoom with all inputs and in all resolutions? Are there any exceptions? I'm wondering how it will work with an anamorphic lense without using an outboard scaler.
post #289 of 5110 Old 04-22-2005, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Looking at the MT700 manual it doesn't have the mode needed. I can answer next week about the 7700 since I bought a panamorph lens and the 7700 and the DVDO iScanHD+. They are supposed to be here early next week. I will try to get it to work without the iScan first, but I am not hopeful. What we need is a vertical stretch mode, which some Optima projectors have to vertically stretch the image to full height of the chip. A zoom doesn't help, since it expands the image in all directions as far as I know. I am no expert by any means, but hope to be next week. I figure the iScan saves me money on cables, and simplifies installation, plus it looks pretty cool.
Warren.
post #290 of 5110 Old 04-22-2005, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wnielsenbb
What we need is a vertical stretch mode, which some Optima projectors have to vertically stretch the image to full height of the chip. A zoom doesn't help, since it expands the image in all directions as far as I know. [/b]

I posted three pictures in the MT700 group. You can clearly see that the ZOOM mode does only stretch vertically not horizontally. The problem is that I am wondering if it zooms enough. For further explanation see my post in the MT700 group.
post #291 of 5110 Old 04-22-2005, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Kjelt -- Your right. If my math is correct, it should be almost too much (makes it 2.38:1 with an anamorphic lens to stretch the width). Does that mean that you'll loose a little on the right & left sides on a 2.35:1 screen?

PS -- I just re-read your MT700 post, we agree. However, your comment about still seeing top & bottom black bars confuses me. I guess I don't really understand what the anamorphic lens is doing. Is your observation due to the fact that you can't get the lens close enough to the PJ front lens?

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #292 of 5110 Old 04-22-2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mandarax

On the lack of 3:2 pulldown that was reported... the specs show differently..and I swear when I saw it at CES it did in fact have 3:2 pulldown capabilities. Rana ... have fun with your new toy..

Robert

Mandarax,

Don't trust the spec, real testing counts.

I just read the Widescreen Review on SHARP Z2000, everyone would have thought that SHARP should put 3-2 pull down in Z2000. But Widescreen Review reports that Z2000, too, is lacking 3-2 pull down.

Since there are cheap HDMI DVD out there on the market, maybe this becomes not so critical?
post #293 of 5110 Old 04-22-2005, 07:40 PM

Thankfully those of us in PAL countries don't need toworry about this.... however it does make me think that this new unit may not handle the other kind of motion judder well either....

Hmmmm I am told BenQ Aus have them in stock ready to ship, though they are not releasing it here in Aus untill the last of the 7800's have been shipped out and they have 26 units left....

26 units in the states would be nothing, but here in Aus, thats probably a significant number as the market for FP is yet to take off in Aus....

Ahwell.... waiting is tough though hehehe so going to go check out the Mits HC900 after all :-)

May as well do something while I wait :-)
post #294 of 5110 Old 04-22-2005, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wnielsenbb
since I bought a panamorph lens and the 7700 and the DVDO iScanHD+.

hi may I know which panamorph u get ? I have the similar setup, but I thought the lens couldn't work well for short throw PJ like the 7700.

Also when u get the IScan, could you see if the Benq can do 48/72hz ?

thanks.
post #295 of 5110 Old 04-23-2005, 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CT_Wiebe

1)Does that mean that you'll loose a little on the right & left sides on a 2.35:1 screen?
2)I guess I don't really understand what the anamorphic lens is doing. Is your observation due to the fact that you can't get the lens close enough to the PJ front lens?

Ok first of all , the ZOOM mode seems to be correct I was distracted with the 1:1.66 number BELOW the 1:2.39 number, this is however some other silly professional testpattern thing I didn't understand. The number above the 1:2.39 number says 1:2 so the 1:2.37 which is needed for the anamorphic lens seems to be correct.

To answer your questions:

1)no it means that you still have some little black bars on top and bottom. Think of it that the width is constant (panel width) then a 1:2.35 picture would be less high then a 1:2.37 picture. So the 1:2.37 zoom mode still gives small black bars on 1:2.35 material. Since LOTR was even less as 1:2.35 the bars were bigger.

2) The ISCO lens, stretches the picture horizontally. So the height of the picture remains the same before or after i put the lens in front of the projector. This means that the picture should be horizontally compressed. So if the film should display a circle then the picture before the lens should look like an egg shape and after the lens ofcourse like a circle.

Now the reason there was a distortion in the picture is probably due to the short throw of the projector and perhaps also with the gap between the lenses. It all has to do with optical physics which unfortunately I have no degree in. If you really want to know I might ask some PhD colleagues of mine but I am unsure if I can understand them . What I can guess
(I might totally be wrong here, this is just my understanding of the subject) is that a longthrow projector has light that is more parallel and that a short throw projector has light that still comes from a point of origin (difficult to explain for me since english is not my native language, so I included a picture for clarification, where you can see that I am also not a great artist ).
If you look at the picture you can see that for a given distance the lens should have different properties for the different types of PJ. Probably much bigger lens (more expensive) for the short throw PJ. Anyway what I learned from another thread here on AVS the ISCO-III might handle it better then the ISCO-II I have, but since it is 2 to 3x more expensive
and comes close to the price of the MT700 it is not much of an option for my budget.

Oh by the way, there is now a pricesetting for the Benq7700 in Holland, it is almost 400 euro's ($500) cheaper then the MT700, weird huh? (end price from a dealer)
LL
post #296 of 5110 Old 04-23-2005, 04:41 AM

pip,
I tested with sony 975v again and dvd-r still did not work. I think there might be a issue with HDCP handshake problem with the projector. Its working fine with LG 418 dvd, it runs both commercial and dvd-r.

I am retuning sony dvd player today. So i will not be able to do do more testing on that one.
post #297 of 5110 Old 04-23-2005, 06:04 AM

Ok, my first post here.
Visiting this forum a load, and find loads of information.
Now i think it's time to register .
I'm looking for a projector and think about the Sony HS50 or a DLP like the Benq PE7700.
Only the placement with a non lensshift pj could be a problem in my situation.
Ceiling mounted, i can only place the pj as high as about 5" just below the top of my screen. Is this projector then throwing the image to low, or won't i have a problem. Can't place the pj higher (roof ), only hanging the the screen lower could be an option.

Sorry for the weak English, i'm from the netherlands, speaking Dutch normaly
post #298 of 5110 Old 04-23-2005, 06:45 AM

Hello fellow-dutchie (mede-nederlander),
if english is a problem for you then you can always go to the dutch hometheater forum: www.htforum.nl

To answer your question, with the Benq7700 the projector will throw the picture to low on the screen. The middle of the lens is gonna be the top of your picture in that case, so you have to lower your screen so the top matches the middle of the projectorlens.

groetjes ! (greetings )
post #299 of 5110 Old 04-23-2005, 06:59 AM
Pip

rana:

If your 975 is not playing anything throught HDMI, it is quite possibly a problem with the player. These HDMI problems can be difficult to diagnose without multiple displays and multiple sources.

Pip
post #300 of 5110 Old 04-23-2005, 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kjelt
Hello fellow-dutchie (mede-nederlander),
if english is a problem for you then you can always go to the dutch hometheater forum: htforum

To answer your question, with the Benq7700 the projector will throw the picture to low on the screen. The middle of the lens is gonna be the top of your picture in that case, so you have to lower your screen so the top matches the middle of the projectorlens.

groetjes ! (greetings )

Ah, thank you. Yes i know that forum, i think i'm going register there also.

Hm, then i have to break the roof , lowering the screen is a bit to low for watching i think after i did some messuring. Then i have to look further . Probable going for the Sony HS50 LCD or another DLP that fits my environment, still have to look at projectors at the stores, but doing some homework to get a nice list of PJ's to compare later for the final selection.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq Pe7700
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page