post #181 of 5110 Old 04-07-2005, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by TCroly
This may be the spec that eliminates this projector as my next purchase.

These are the exact words I forgot to add at the end of my post...

I have a ceiling mount, but given that it's not a long throw (nor do I really want one), the projector will get in the way of a back row of raised seats, if no (or very little) keystoning is used.

Hmmm, I guess I'll be waiting even longer for my next PJ...

-Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5110 Old 04-07-2005, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Personally, I don't like the zero offset either (as I have a high ceiling in my theater room), but I've read so many posts bemoaning the normal 10-12" offset usually found that I'm sure that there are a lot of people that will love this. If you have an 8' ceiling, you'd only be dropping down a foot or so for screen sizes of 100" and up.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #183 of 5110 Old 04-07-2005, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I am one of those who need the 0 offset. I have a low ceiling and with this 0 offset I can mount it flushed with the ceiling with the 132" screen. It's much nicer. Without the 0 offset I must get a PJ with vertical lens shift.
post #184 of 5110 Old 04-07-2005, 08:05 PM

Quote:

But for a projector that should be selling for at least $300 less than the final close out pricing on the 8700+, it looks like BenQ will remain the low cost champ for 720p DLP's. I think that many folks (who don't need lens shift) that would buy the Panny AE700u, will seriously look at moving up to this one instead, considering the difference in price between the AE700 and 7700 is not much more than 1/2 the price difference between the Panny and the 8700+ back in December.

That's the thing, isn't it? The Panny's flexibility is going to kill the competition. The fact that it has lens shift and has a long throw means it has something no other projector in it's class has, not to mention that the price is killer.

I'd love to have one of the 720P DLPs, but the lack of options of where to put it is a deal killer for me. Right now, I'd have to raise up the projector a couple feet over where my LT150 is currently sitting to have it clear the speakers. Ceiling mount would be difficult, and incures an additional cost.

Jason
post #185 of 5110 Old 04-07-2005, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I was set on the Panny for awhile and its ease of placement was fantastic, but I am one of the people for whom zero offset *could* work, even if its a royal PITA. IMHO its worth the trouble for the superior picture...in my case...

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #186 of 5110 Old 04-07-2005, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
How is the picture superior to the AE700U? I started a AE700 VS MT700 thread (of course the 7700 would be basically equiv to the mt700) but haven't found an anwser. What is worse about the AE700 than the 7700? The stats are the same (lumens, constrast, resolution)
Inquiring minds want to know.
Warren.
post #187 of 5110 Old 04-07-2005, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wnielsenbb
How is the picture superior to the AE700U? I started a AE700 VS MT700 thread (of course the 7700 would be basically equiv to the mt700) but haven't found an anwser. What is worse about the AE700 than the 7700? The stats are the same (lumens, constrast, resolution)
Inquiring minds want to know.
Warren.

Eight letters: DLP vs LCD

That'd be my guess anyway... no first hand comparison experience here, but especially at the same resolution, I'd guess the DLP would be significantly better. Again, I haven't seen these side-by-side.

-Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #188 of 5110 Old 04-07-2005, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

DLP vs LCD doesn't really mean anything if the stats are the same. Old days LCD = poor constrast ratio, but the projectors have the same CR.

On the zero offset problem, a visit to the panamorph site brought about a good point. With the 2.35 vertical compression lens you get a .069 * distance offset or almost 12 inches at 14' throw. That really helps out my install.
post #189 of 5110 Old 04-08-2005, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by wnielsenbb
DLP vs LCD doesn't really mean anything if the stats are the same. Old days LCD = poor constrast ratio, but the projectors have the same CR.

I don't want to turn this into a DLP vs. LCD war, but for those that haven't seen both in action, this statement is untrue. I would suggest to anybody who is on the fence to audition both. For those who are unsensitive to rainbows, it's no question that the HD2+ DLP is superior to any 720P LCD on the market, PERIOD. If you're senstive to rainbows, the Panny AE700U is a great alternative. But in terms of sheer contrast and picture quality, forget it!

The point is that I don't see the Panny AE700U or even the Sony HS51 to be a direct competitor to these newer "lower priced" HD2+ machines. If you haven't noticed, the price of the AE700U has recently dropped significantly (if you throw in the $200 rebate from Panasonic). This will be the case as time goes on. I doubt you'll ever see the same price for 720P LCD vs. 720P DLP. In order for LCD to compete, it must always be at a lower price point. The Sony HS51 is having a tough time right now. Don't get me wrong, those two 720P LCDs are good projectors (as is my Sanyo Z2), but this Z2 is the last LCD product I will ever own!

In the end, we all win!

Steve
post #190 of 5110 Old 04-08-2005, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin R. Anderson
Here is a link for information on BenQ's Senseye technology: http://benq.us/senseye/

Check this out. Go to Google and search on the string below.

http://www.ocheaven.cn/article/0504/...le.asp?id=4112

Then click on the translate button on the hit that is returned by Google.

I found the translation puzzling but there are some interesting nuggets in the article none-the-less.

Cheers,
Mark
post #191 of 5110 Old 04-08-2005, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I found the translation puzzling but there are some interesting nuggets in the article none-the-less.

I don't know what you mean. How could the following sentence be anything but clear...

"No matter in the dark night crow feather gloss or the horizon white clouds level feeling, all may lifelike present in you at present"

(Actually, I initially tried translating from Japanese instead of Chinese. You think the translation from Chinese is confusing... )

Don
Professional Geek, HT Novice
post #192 of 5110 Old 04-08-2005, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"No matter in the dark night crow feather gloss or the horizon white clouds level feeling, all may lifelike present in you at present"

Well, this obviously means that...umm...the crow is of an even mind when the clouds are low, and his dark mood makes him feel even more alive than the color of the clouds themselves - and you....you are but a feather....

...yeah...

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #193 of 5110 Old 04-08-2005, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

One of my employees is from China, and I had her look at this. She said the translation is surprisingly accurate, but that the Chinese language is simply not very adept at discussing hi-tech topics, so they have combined old words to make new ones, which, when translated literally, result in some odd word combinations.

However, I get the jist of it -- the PE7700 makes big, bright, colorful, pretty pictures. What more do you need to know?

ISF Certified
post #194 of 5110 Old 04-08-2005, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin R. Anderson
One of my employees is from China, and I had her look at this. She said the translation is surprisingly accurate, but that the Chinese language is simply not very adept at discussing hi-tech topics, so they have combined old words to make new ones, which, when translated literally, result in some odd word combinations.

However, I get the jist of it -- the PE7700 makes big, bright, colorful, pretty pictures. What more do you need to know?

Yup. Example: Magnet, when translated into chinese language is, "rock that sticks."

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

post #195 of 5110 Old 04-08-2005, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Ja Phule............

Then Politician must translate into Butt that talks............

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

- Use Password = AVSForum
post #196 of 5110 Old 04-08-2005, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Then Politician must translate into Butt that talks............

Wow!

You speak Chinese!!!

Don
Professional Geek, HT Novice
post #197 of 5110 Old 04-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Greetings,
Boy, I go away for 24 hours and the thread turns into a discourse on languages. Have fun.

Anyway, I have posted a large chunk of review on my site for those interested. I will have to finish when I get back from vacation, but I can tell you from side by sides with my 8700+ etc. This seems to be the better projector - equal or better in almost every area.
I will be working with DVI/HDMI sources when I get back, but so far everything is off of component input.
I also received a long powerpoint document on Sense-eye, which I have barely scanned. It looks like it has some insights, and if I can get permission from BenQ I will post it.
One problem. None of the pictures I posted appear. I've emailed my webmaster, and so, hope the images will all appear sometime tomorrow.
Feedback appreciated, of course, but keep in mind I try to write for people who are not as fanatical as some of you.
enjoy -art

-art

Reviewing projectors sure beats selling them...
---but then, watching The 5th Element
-----for the hundreth time sure is getting old.
ProjectorReviews.com
post #198 of 5110 Old 04-09-2005, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Originally posted by TheLongshot
That's the thing, isn't it? The Panny's flexibility is going to kill the competition. The fact that it has lens shift and has a long throw means it has something no other projector in it's class has, not to mention that the price is killer.

Jason

Even the Panny isn't perfect. from a lens shift standpoint, it can sit anywhere between only slightly above top of screen, or below bottom, but just barely.

Those with higher ceilings still have to hang the projector down a ways. By comparison Sanyo's Z3's lens shift has more range - I can't recall the specifics, but with a 100" screen it can probably be mounted a good foot higher than the Panny.

Hey, I have a 19.5 foot ceiling and my 8700+ hangs down just over 5 feet (my 140" screen surface starts about 6 inches below the lens center.

Most people I talk to don't worry to much about it. I'd rather have the performance of the BenQ than the lens shift flexibility of the Panny.

Hey when we watch in our theaters, its dark anyway, so why worry if the projector hangs down an extra few inches or foot. (OK if someone has a really low ceiling and tiered seating I can see that as a possible problem).

-art

-art

Reviewing projectors sure beats selling them...
---but then, watching The 5th Element
-----for the hundreth time sure is getting old.
ProjectorReviews.com
post #199 of 5110 Old 04-09-2005, 01:00 AM

art, the images in your review are not showing up because you are missing a '/' between your images-articles directory and the jpg name, see below:

images-articlesBenQ7700frontLensFeet.jpg

post #200 of 5110 Old 04-09-2005, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Can I use your projector while you are on vacation?
I would love if you put a panny 700 beside the 7700 and compared the images.
Warren.
post #201 of 5110 Old 04-09-2005, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Warren

Stephen Francis's comments about the DLP versus LCD are quite accurate.

Unless you are one of the people that has a "problem" (and there are folks for whom this is a real issue) with rainbows....... I would not even consider an LCD. While LCD technology has improved it still is not even close to the picture that you will get from DLP. That is not to say that it might not catch up one of these days... just that it is not there yet.

I have viewed the AE700 several times and while it does an excellent job for an LCD... it is just that .. excellent for an LCD! Do not believe specifications that are written by the projector manufacturers ... at least they cannot be used to pick a projector... those spec's are taken for "marketing" purposes and do not represent a projector calibrated for Home Theater use.

Use your eyes... find people in your area that have the type of projectors you want to consider.. then go take a look at them with your own eyes.. that is the only way to make a choice. What you see is what is important.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

- Use Password = AVSForum
post #202 of 5110 Old 04-09-2005, 02:15 PM

Quote:

IMHO its worth the trouble for the superior picture...in my case...

I agree
post #203 of 5110 Old 04-09-2005, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I have seen the Mitsubishi HC900U in fry's and was impressed, so I would have to think the 7700 would be much better. Life expectancy seems to be another big advantage of DLP. Also the sealed light engine really does it for me. I live in Arizona and dust is a major problem here. Now to just decide between the 7700 and the MT700. I am thinking the 7700 is the one. The only bad thing is the extra price sucks up my budget for a 2.35 lens. That is all I plan to watch (I hate TV,) but it sounds like the blacks are good enough the black bars won't be too much of a bother.
Warren.
post #204 of 5110 Old 04-09-2005, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

wnielsenbb -

I am curious what you have found the differences between the 7700 and the MT700 to be. So far all I've heard is:

1) Name
2) Faroudja Chip in the Tosh, BenQ in-house chip
3) BenQ has Senseye Auto-Gamma-Tracker-thingamabob (which probably won't do anything a proper calibration won't do right?)

Is there anything else?

(To remove bias note I did just order the MT700 but I am still interested in knowing the differences)

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #205 of 5110 Old 04-09-2005, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think there is a huge difference.
The BenQ has another year of warrenty, another 100 lumens. I Don't care about the MT700's chip since I will be feeding it 720p only. It sounds like the Senseye thing really works, and yes it can work better than calibration. Calibration affects the whole image, where Senseye affects just what the programmers wanted. Look at art's attempt to calibrate the 7800 to get as many stars as the 7700 was displaying. The whole image was brightened making the blacks grey. On the 7700 just the stars are brightened, space is still black.
Course, I don't really know, I don't suppose anyone will till the two are compared side-by-side. Art really picked a bad time to go on vacation.
post #206 of 5110 Old 04-09-2005, 06:05 PM

so I am understanding right, the lightpath on the MT700 also is sealed?
post #207 of 5110 Old 04-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Nice review by Art on the BQ7700 it looks like the BQ people have a winner on their hands. I have been ready to pull the trigger on a Sharp 2000, or MT700 and waited for the BQ7700 sense my room is not quite done yet.

I really feel between the three unit's, ONE could not make a bad decision. I have seen the Sharp and it was impressive and have set up my HT for it but the 1 year warranty has been a thorn in my side, and the BQ has a 3 year and its a few bucks less.

I still have a month before I need to throw the on switch and watch a DVD so I will do a little more thinking (that can be dangerous sometimes) LOL
post #208 of 5110 Old 04-09-2005, 09:08 PM

Quote:

Most people I talk to don't worry to much about it. I'd rather have the performance of the BenQ than the lens shift flexibility of the Panny.

Well, it is more than just the lens shift, but also the long throw capabilities. It means that I could put the projector in the back of the room.

I know that the 720P DLPs probably kill the LCDs, but don't dismiss the flexibility of the AE700.

Jason
post #209 of 5110 Old 04-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Jason - I'm with you. I was seriously considering the 7700, but the lack of placement flexibility made it undesirable in my room. My basement HT isn't ideal, as the laundry room is through a side door - thus I have to be able to cross the room easily. Hanging a projector would be a pain in this situation. Plus, the zero offset means that I have no flexibility in how high/low I hang it.

No matter how you cut it, the Panny is a very good image (DLP/LCD debate aside), can be improved with a cheap filter (now how does the LCD/DLP debate go???), has no screen door, and give you a nice flexible range of mounting options. Panasonic seems to have gotten it pretty much right with this product. Why couldn't BenQ/Tosh have followed suit!?!
post #210 of 5110 Old 04-10-2005, 05:41 PM

Quote:

has no screen door

but does have Vertical Banding
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq Pe7700
Gear in this thread