Toshiba TDPMT700 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2005, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some other thoughts before I catch some sleep- The internal scaler seems excellent- even ratty old analog cable tv via s-video looks great- I even watched something letterboxed on cable and zoomed up to fill the screen- sure there is some noise but it's very watchable, and looks much better than the Z2.

I also love the picture in/out picture mode. I have been waiting for a projector with this feature since it makes sense on a such a large screen that you can watch multiple sources- Can't wait to get my mac and PC hooked up.

I also just discovered the Dynamic mode has the color temp set to high. Bringing it back to med (6500) looks much better.

I also really like the remote- every button is backlit, there is direct access to each input- a brightnes, contrast and color button- very well thought out - especially for a product at this price level.

BTW I am watching on a 70" wide screen from a 10 foot viewing distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2005, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
emailists,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your initial impressions. Enjoy the new projector.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:21 AM

Quote:

Many thanks for taking the time to share your initial impressions. Enjoy the new projector.

Ditto on that one emailists. I've been chomping at the bit since late December to pull the trigger on the Sharp 2k. Since January, I've been waiting for the MT700. Thank you for jumping on this and providing the feedback, especially the screenshots.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

many thanx emailists !
just a question abt the build: any light leakage? "halo" like the Z2000 ? and the noise ?

(yea I'm very keen on this. I like short throw PJs)
Old 03-16-2005, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for your thoughts. I have to run right now, but I'll be back later with some calibration info. I will say that the MT700 greyscale is very good right out of the box. Very little adjusting necessary. Also, I did confirm that the mounting screws are 6 mm (M6).

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
Old 03-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

thank you both, will be watching this thread for more of your impressions
Old 03-16-2005, 12:06 PM

Can you please comment on SDE with the MT700?

Thanks
Steve
Old 03-16-2005, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DLP projectors don't suffer from SDE because of the mirrors producing the image. Only LCD projectors have that problem.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by stephenfrancis
Can you please comment on SDE with the MT700?

Thanks
Steve

Pretty much a non-issue. You would either need a very big screen or be sitting very close.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Old 03-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by FiveMillionWays
DLP projectors don't suffer from SDE because of the mirrors producing the image. Only LCD projectors have that problem.

SDE is definitely less on a DLP, but it's still there. I personally can see SDE on 720p DLP's from about 1.2x screen width on bright white areas (such as credits). My vision is 20/15 so I may be a little more sensitive then most.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by FiveMillionWays

SDE is definitely less on a DLP, but it's still there. I personally can see SDE on 720p DLP's from about 1.2x screen width on bright white areas (such as credits). My vision is 20/15 so I may be a little more sensitive then most.

To moderater. Sorry for the double post, please delete.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MikeSRC
It's using the 23XX chip which includes scaling, so I don't see why they'd use something else, but who knows. HBO HD looked pretty good scaled last night. Wish I still had a 7205 around to compare.

Darn...that would've been great, because it's gonna come down to either the MT7700 or the SP7205 for me. Waiting on impressions with brightness, contrast and overall picture detail especially with DVDs
Old 03-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Boweryboy
Well after after exchanging several emails with Dave G from Carada, I pulled the trigger on the Brilliant White 102. Dave said I could have it as early as Friday. I just hope the 700 arrives this week also.

PLEASE keep us updated on how the picture quality looks when coupled with a Carada screen. That is the screen I am seriously considering pairing with either the MT7700 or the SP7205...
Old 03-16-2005, 03:24 PM

I've gotten my MT700 tracking number and now just have to wait for 2nd day air. Sigh. On Friday or Saturday expect some impressions vs. the 4805.

I'll also be trying out 1:1 mapping on my HTPC. At some point I'll give 48hz a shot. Does anyone have a good test scene to look for improvements in judder?
Old 03-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by FlyingGimp
I've gotten my MT700 tracking number and now just have to wait for 2nd day air. Sigh. On Friday or Saturday expect some impressions vs. the 4805.

I'll also be trying out 1:1 mapping on my HTPC. At some point I'll give 48hz a shot. Does anyone have a good test scene to look for improvements in judder?

if your hooking up your htpc download the judder test software
Old 03-17-2005, 02:02 AM

I've had a chance to spend an entire evening looking at the MT700 hooked up the momitsu v880 via DVI/HDMI. First what I noticed was that the Full and Through settings were exactly the same, which is good. Via component, the full filled the screen but looked soft, and the Through (pixel mapping) looked correct and sharper, but it was reduced in size, similar to what the HS51 does in 720 HDMI before the fix. I think this is a real problem for component video users. HDMI is correct and looks great. I wonder what is happening in component?

I made all observations in high lamp mode, since I usually like to run projectors in high, and this looked best. As mentioned I have a Gray Goo screen with variable masking. I don't currently have an HD source. I returned my OTA HD tuner since I couldn't consitently get stations.

With the V880 via HDMI I really felt like I was looking at a very neutral device. It almost didn't impress me with it's picture. It just seemed accurate to the source and very filmic. And for a display device (or loudspeakers for that matter) that is a very high compliment.

The great dynamic range made me want to try using this as video monitor for some of the TV shows, and video's I edit. I am able to see so many gradations of black and the color on mid (6500) looks accurate.

It's not as punchy looking as a CRT picture tube of course, but it seems very linear and seems to show whatever is in the signal.

Watching Carnivale and Deadwood on a slightly noisey analog cable feed via s-video looked quite good, and zoomed up to full screen.

Then I played with the Faroudja menu. This is incredible processing for cleaning up such signals. The Noise slider truly pulled noise out without affecting all of the detail. The True Color(?) slider, however actually restored the detail lost from cleaning up the noise, and only introducing a small amount of it;s own. I had each up 2-3 points, and it really made ratty old cable look fantastic.

Watching pillarbox 4x3, I didn't get up to slide my masking system in, and the outside pillars looked very dark on my screen. Actually not much brighter than the felt covered 4" masks. That was surprising.

There is some dither noise at times in dark areas if you look closely, even from 10 feet. But you have to be within a foot of the 70" wide screen to see any screen door. The lack of VB that was present on my Z2 is quite welcome, and I find the rainbows to be quite tolerable after two nights. I do find myself looking away from the screen every once in a while to give my eyes a rest. That really is once positive to LCD's I may miss.

Incidentally, I accidentally unplugged the AC from the projector due to a temporary setup. I figured "great, I just took 100 hours off my bulb." I plugged the unit right back in, and to my delight, the fan kicked in to complete the shut off sequence. Kudos to Toshiba for an intelligent design.

The unit is very quiet, and there sems to be no light spill at all.

I've seen quite a few mid range projector setups recently, the sharp 11k , and even recently the Qualia 004. Except for the qualia, I really can't remember seeing a better setup than what I'm seeing in my living right now- (though I think none of the other setups I saw were via DVI or HDMI to be fair)

I can't see anyone being dissapointed in this projector at this price point, or even quite a bit higher.

There are a few times in low contrast scenes I wish it had a liittle deeper black level, so I think even with this projector, a high contrast screen may still be in order for black level freaks like myself.

But all in all I think anyone looking for a projector in this price range will be quite happy buying it, even sight unseen. It's that good.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:07 AM

can someone tell me if firmware is user updatable?

i'm also looking for a screen size calculator for this proj., i can mount 13 or maybe 12 feet from screen.

i was amazed when i googled street prices on the MT700, this could be a very popular projector at that price.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

emailists,

Excellent writeup, especially considering the late hours!

BTW, I think it's actually BenQ the ones who deserve credit for intelligent design.

Speaking of which, is the PE8700 among the projectors you've seen? If so, how would the MT700 compare against it?

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
Old 03-17-2005, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
emailists or MikeSRC,

When you guys have a moment... can you check if it accepts 480i over HDMI?
Old 03-17-2005, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I've seen the 8700, but without a side-by-side, properly set up comparison to the MT700, it's hard to say which is better. I've had a 7205 in my home briefly and other than the obvious increased brightness of the 7205, I can't say which is better.

To add a few things, the medium color temperature is the closest to 65K, but it's still high (closer to 70K). The other settings aren't even in the ballpark. Primaries (RGB) are nearly right on the mark straight out of the box. Secondaries looked good too, with cyan the furthest off the mark.

There's something strange about the default brightness and contrast adjustments levels. I have to check into this further, but I believe the MT700 has a very small range of adjustment for brightness and contrast, which allows for fine adjustment, but may cause some surprise initially as you may need to change your DVD player from its default settings. As a result, blacks were crushed in the default setup, with everything the same below 20 IRE.

HD looked great either through component or HDMI, with an edge to the digital connection. Pixel cropping at 720p was non-existant through the HDMI input.

After calibration, perceived black levels do not seem as deep as my 4805, but I haven't compared the two with the ND2 filter removed from the 4805. For those using the TrueLife enhancement, increasing the level more than a click or two can add edge enhancement to the image.

I'll have more info and some comparisons with the 4805 and an H31 in the near future.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Old 03-17-2005, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
emailists & MikeSRC..thanks for the great feedback. I wonder how the MT700 compares with the Sharp XV-Z2000. It would be nice to see a shoot out of these two PJs .
Old 03-17-2005, 10:43 AM

So, I've had an InFocus LP-350 (once the darling of these forums) for the last 4 or so years and I think it may finally be time to upgrade.

Unfortunately, no one talks about the 350 anymore and I really have no idea how it compares to modern PJs like the MT-700. Can I expect a noticeable difference in clarity, contrast, brightness, artifacts? I've been very happy with my LP-350 for a long time and it has just never seemed like I'd be getting anything significantly better within my price range... i.e. under $3500 MSRP
Old 03-17-2005, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
emailists,

Based on your RBE impression, it seemed that the wheel is 4X, not 5X. I saw lots of RBE w/ the Benq 6200 at 2X, but rarely with the 5X PE8700+. My old panny ae100 LCD has no RBE, but got VB.

According to the Toshiba pdf, it's 4X. Can anyone else verify if it's user adjustable to 5X?

Thanks.

lenny
Old 03-17-2005, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

There's no adjustment for the color wheel speed that I've found. The PDF is not for the U.S. version, so we can't be sure it's the same, although it's likely that it is 4X. I seldom see rainbows (without trying to) on any projector over 3X anyway. YMMV

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Old 03-17-2005, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I can't believe the prices I froogled - only moderately more than the Pan 700. Lots of the hits say "6-segment 5X color wheel" FWIW.

Also, how high does the throw ratio go? I get 1.32:1 for the low end from the numbers previously given.

Thanks

Noah
Old 03-17-2005, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

MikeSRC, I look forward to your comparisons with the 4805 and an H31 in the near future. A shootout with the Sharp 2000 would be great.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

5x confirmed on an email sent by Toshiba Germany.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
Old 03-17-2005, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by noah katz
Also, how high does the throw ratio go? I get 1.32:1 for the low end from the numbers previously given.

Thanks

1.78:1 calculated from my previous post.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Old 03-17-2005, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by noah katz
I can't believe the prices I froogled - only moderately more than the Pan 700.

I know we aren't allowed to discuss actual pricing...but from what I see the premium is 50% more than the panny (after rebate.)
Old 03-17-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by broadwayblue
I know we aren't allowed to discuss actual pricing...but from what I see the premium is 50% more than the panny (after rebate.)

i google 33% more than lowest pan700 AR

let the 720p DLP revolution begin!

also, there is a price thread on ************** for MT700