AVS Forum banner

Toshiba TDPMT700

317K views 3K replies 202 participants last post by  JeremyMc 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about the Toshiba TDPMT700 front projector? It seems like it's coming in under the radar thanx to the popularity of the Panasonic AE700U. I for one held of my purchase of the 700 because of the buzz it's getting from CES held in early January.

#130 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeSRC
I've seen the 8700, but without a side-by-side, properly set up comparison to the MT700, it's hard to say which is better. I've had a 7205 in my home briefly and other than the obvious increased brightness of the 7205, I can't say which is better.

To add a few things, the medium color temperature is the closest to 65K, but it's still high (closer to 70K). The other settings aren't even in the ballpark. Primaries (RGB) are nearly right on the mark straight out of the box. Secondaries looked good too, with cyan the furthest off the mark.

There's something strange about the default brightness and contrast adjustments levels. I have to check into this further, but I believe the MT700 has a very small range of adjustment for brightness and contrast, which allows for fine adjustment, but may cause some surprise initially as you may need to change your DVD player from its default settings. As a result, blacks were crushed in the default setup, with everything the same below 20 IRE.

HD looked great either through component or HDMI, with an edge to the digital connection. Pixel cropping at 720p was non-existant through the HDMI input.

After calibration, perceived black levels do not seem as deep as my 4805, but I haven't compared the two with the ND2 filter removed from the 4805. For those using the TrueLife enhancement, increasing the level more than a click or two can add edge enhancement to the image.

I'll have more info and some comparisons with the 4805 and an H31 in the near future.

Mike

It sounds like you were able to calibrate it with a proper calibration tool. If so could you give us more info on post calibrated stats such as brightness and contrast. Also a little more info on the actual greyscale achieved and what it took to get it there.

Thanx in advance

Greg

#131 ·
Grubert,

The distance table you posted on the MT-700 includes a diagram indicating the PJ has "height offset". Any idea as to what degree? Am puzzled by the "0/0" in the chart.

#134 ·
This is the first PJ I have looked at that has neither offset or lens shift.

The top viewing surface of my fixed screen will need to be 19" below the 7'9" ceiling due to a window which I prefer not to cover. The bottom of screen would be about 12" from the floor or roughly 120" diag.

Had ceiling mount in mind, but looks like center of PJ lens will need to be 19" below ceiling. Are there any settings available on the MT-700 so I can bring PJ closer to the ceiling w/out affecting PQ? Any other ideas? If table mount 12" off the floor?

Wall mount not an option as room is 22' deep.

Thanks,

#136 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffcom
Are there any settings available on the MT-700 so I can bring PJ closer to the ceiling w/out affecting PQ? Any other ideas? If table mount 12" off the floor?

The only other option for ceiling mounting is tilting the projector and using keystone. You could always tilt up the bottom of the screen slightly to avoid or minimize the use of keystoning.

Table mount at 12'' would work as well if you have the spot for it.

#140 ·

Quote:
i was considering putting it on a shelf near ceiling....

I think you should still be able to do this. You just have to make rubber "feet" for the top of the projector to allow adequate airflow, I would think. I know I've seen pictures of people's setups where they did that.

Somebody else can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

#141 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by emailists
Mike can you post your suggestions for the best settings to use?

Sure, but after this weekend when I'm done checking out everything.

Quote:

Also what do you think is going with with component in and pixel mapping shrinking the image?

The "Through" setting does not do any scaling, so with an analog input, you just get the unscaled image in the center of the screen since it can't pixel map the analog input. With DVI, it's able to map the digital input and fill the screen without scaling.

#143 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffcom

Had ceiling mount in mind, but looks like center of PJ lens will need to be 19" below ceiling. Are there any settings available on the MT-700 so I can bring PJ closer to the ceiling w/out affecting PQ? Any other ideas? If table mount 12" off the floor?

[/b]

You can tilt the projector very slightly to get some "offset". If you do it too much you'll get an obvious trapezoid and need keystoning. However a slight bit is not noticeable. Even a little more can get lost in the black matte of the screen. I don't know that you'd get the full 19" you want, but it should at least give you a bit of it.

For reference doing this I got about the image ~5" higher on my floor mounted 4805 with no noticeable trapezoid distortion. This was with an 8.5' throw.

You can also go table floor mount. Either inside or underneath a coffee table or couch/futon might work depending on your layout.

#144 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by corba

i was considering putting it on a shelf near ceiling.... [/b]

You can also just drill holes in the shelf matching the mount screws of the pj. Stick a few 6mm bolts through and you've got a solid $15 mount.

I'm building a hushbox on top of a shelf. The the MT700 will be screwed to the top.

BTW: My MT700 = On FedEx vehicle for delivery

Sadly my FedEx guy tends to deliver to my house at ~6-7pm...

#145 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyingGimp
I'm building a hushbox on top of a shelf. The the MT700 will be screwed to the top.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, as I'd have to hang the projector down 3 feet from a 10' ceiling otherwise. I'm working on a way to provide some adjustibility in the design. What are you planning to use for the box and shelf?

#147 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I just checked on the Z2000 for comparison, a PJ costing hundreds more and note no lens shift and really no usable offset. So this is not unusual for PJ in this price range.

Mike, please check your manual. Does it have any details on ceiling mount extensions as I would need to have the PJ somewhere between 18"-24" from ceiling. Am interested in the Toshiba mount or is an aftermarket like the Chief a better option?

#148 ·
MikeSRC - You were dead-on on the early delivery. I think I normally get the Fed-Ex Saver ground which is why I get the early evening delivery. As I was posting that my wife was answering the door. BTW, thanks for double-boxing this.

First impressions: this is the only projector housing (including PLV-Z1, 4805, DT-300, XV-12000/10000) I've seen that I actually thought looked cool. I really like the white color, in fact I wish it was all white - it really blends in, while still looking techy and modern.

The remote looks like it has discrete buttons for everything: source, image settings, and wide/zoom modes. This is something that is missing on even some high-end pjs (H77 comes to mind), so I'm very happy it was included here. I was prepared to put up with no discrete codes , but this will make things much easier, especially for the wife.

Not that she cares. After I put this up on the shelf I asked her if she wanted to come up to the theater room and see smoothness. She came up and didn't have any idea what changed. When I pointed it out she said, "I thought you meant you'd cleaned the room up." Sigh.

Sadly I have relatives visiting tomorrow so I have to put in the appearance of getting the house ready. I will sneak away to hook this up and post impressions as soon as I can, but will likely need to wait until later tonight.

#150 ·

Quote:
What are you planning to use for the box and shelf?

I'm just using 24"x15"x5/8" pine planks from Home Depot. They do the cuts so I don't even have to worry about chopping off a hand or foot. I have it hung from the ceiling (bonus room, sloped ceiling) by chains now to adjust. Once I have the pj and screen aligned I'll screw the back of the shelf into the ceiling for added stability.

I also may eventually add foam insulation and some sort of upwards pointing fan baffle with exterior computer fans to reduce noise. The pj is roughly 2' above my head so sound may bug me a little.

BTW, for anyone else building a hushbox the pj exhausts from the front and has a single intake taking up most of the right side.

#151 ·

Quote:
First impressions: this is the only projector housing (including PLV-Z1, 4805, DT-300, XV-12000/10000) I've seen that I actually thought looked cool. I really like the white color, in fact I wish it was all white - it really blends in, while still looking techy and modern.

This is a funny comment to me, as it shows how different people's perspectives can be. (I'm not criticizing at all, just saying it's an interesting difference.)

I am very interested in this projector when I'm ready to buy one (probably 30-60 days from now), but one of the things I didn't like was the look of the projector. It's just too... WHITE.
We have a dedicated theater room that is going to have a black ceiling and dark grey walls. I think this projector will just stick out like a sore thumb in that room - to the point that I've been trying to figure out a way to hide it without adversely affecting heat dissipation if I decide it's a problem. I haven't seen it in person, but the pictures I've seen just looked very blocky and industrial-looking.

Quote:
Sadly I have relatives visiting tomorrow so I have to put in the appearance of getting the house ready. I will sneak away to hook this up and post impressions as soon as I can, but will likely need to wait until later tonight.

Somebody's gonna be sleepy when relatives come to visit...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.