AE700 - lamp brightness changing slow flicker...AE700 owners please read... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 101 Old 05-03-2005, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
pinkfreud55,

Honestly I believe you - even tried it myself to no avail with my non-flickering but waning bulb and I do believe I've a separate and likely unrelated problem, but this all seems like Voodoo to me. :D

don't be mad at me now,
ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 101 Old 05-03-2005, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys,

I posted in the AE700 tweak thread too.

No they did not reset the hours

I never had any dimming in the first place - only flicker.

60 hours later problem still all fixed. :)
post #93 of 101 Old 05-05-2005, 02:11 AM

Been away for a while.

Well, I had to try it myself. Just re-set my lamp hours, including the prompted shutdown, and have found (drum roll)... no increase in brightness.

It seems that my lamp is getting progressively dimmer, and I think it's now pretty well beyond credibility that this could be normal "break in" or aging.

Just reached 200 hours exactly, despite the new "0" on my lamp timer.

I'm well under the lamp's maximum warrantied hours, but well over the 90 day limit. This very early demise of the lamp is pretty unreasonable, though, and I'm hopeful I can get Panasonic to supply a new one, ideally not from the same run. Really hope I don't have to duke it out long-term with them to get this taken care of. We'll see.

Calling them in the A.M.

KongFan
post #94 of 101 Old 05-05-2005, 06:01 AM

Well guess I was fortunate with my Voodoo. No I'm not mad TvEd, just hurt. lol.

PF
post #95 of 101 Old 05-05-2005, 12:51 PM

Weeeeeeee... I love playing the "there's nothing we can do, call these people instead" game. :rolleyes:

What I know so far is that Panasonic says they won't exchange or replace any units, they will only fix the unit you have... and by that they mean you send it to a 3rd party company and have them fix it. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, but it seems an entire batch of bad AE700's were released and no one really knows what's wrong with them or how to fix them... so I'm apprehensive to send it in and have them simply upgrade the firmware and reset the connections like they did with aruz's unit... it may have fixed the flashing, but i'm skeptical that will fix the dimming problem.

Ideally, I can get my dealer to send me a new unit from a different production batch with the newest firmware already installed.

Worst case scenario, I'll have to send my unit to Heartland, wait a couple weeks to get it back, then cross my fingers every time I turn it on, hoping they really did fix the problem for good. :(
post #96 of 101 Old 12-31-2005, 06:52 AM

Well, I'm resurrecting this thread from oblivion ;). My AE700 just turned one year, and last nite was the first time I noticed the dreaded flickering, on a menu screen...:(
It has about 670 hours on the lamp, all low mode, auto iris on, fed 720p via HDMI mostly (some TV via composite), and I make sure to turn off the main power after using it, so I've never had a VB issue. I have the 1.07 firmware, which fixed the WF problem, and until last nite, it has run beautifully. I don't think this is a mains related problem, we have 220 Volts in Sweden and in my apartment it is quite stable, no lights ever flicker, even when I turn on the oven or any other large appliance.
Now, the flickering didn't actually affect the movie (Godzilla, kinda dark), but it worries me nonetheless. Is there anything to be done? I haven't noticed any dimming (DVE calibrated), should I just wait for 1) my bulb to die or 2) the problem to go away?
What about running it in high mode for a while, does that actually help?
So, any help will be greatly appreciated :).

/Mikael
--------------------------------------------------
- "Do you indulge in any form of worship?"
- "Life. I love life, very much indeed."
post #97 of 101 Old 01-02-2006, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaels
Well, I'm resurrecting this thread from oblivion ;). My AE700 just turned one year, and last nite was the first time I noticed the dreaded flickering, on a menu screen...:(
It has about 670 hours on the lamp, all low mode, auto iris on, fed 720p via HDMI mostly (some TV via composite), and I make sure to turn off the main power after using it, so I've never had a VB issue. I have the 1.07 firmware, which fixed the WF problem, and until last nite, it has run beautifully. I don't think this is a mains related problem, we have 220 Volts in Sweden and in my apartment it is quite stable, no lights ever flicker, even when I turn on the oven or any other large appliance.
Now, the flickering didn't actually affect the movie (Godzilla, kinda dark), but it worries me nonetheless. Is there anything to be done? I haven't noticed any dimming (DVE calibrated), should I just wait for 1) my bulb to die or 2) the problem to go away?
What about running it in high mode for a while, does that actually help?
So, any help will be greatly appreciated :).
Running in high lamp mode for a while (sometimes 10 min, sometimes an hour or more) usually gets rid of it for a while--say 50hrs. There is no permenant fix, though.

My bulb flickered from about 50hrs onwards. It's now at 525hrs and though it hasn't dimmed that much I got the opportunity to get a new cheap(-ish) bulb and I've replaced it, keeping the flickering bulb as a back-up.

The new bulb hasn't flickered yet, but it's only at 10hrs.

Dave
post #98 of 101 Old 01-02-2006, 03:16 PM

I am at about 900 hours now, and have noticed the "slow" flickering now as well, for say the last 50 hours. All my sources are componant, and they all do it. I have been in low bulb mode, ceiling mounted. It has also been powered on a dedicated circuit (well, the A/V built-in has it's own dedicated 20amp circuit with all the gear fed off of a furman line-conditioner strip). I shut the unit power off yesterday, and will see if that helps - I haven't done that for many months.

Optoma HD8200, Denon AVR-2309ci, PS3
post #99 of 101 Old 01-02-2006, 11:46 PM

OK, thanks for your answers, guess I'll try the high lamp trick and see what it does...

/Mikael
--------------------------------------------------
- "Do you indulge in any form of worship?"
- "Life. I love life, very much indeed."
post #100 of 101 Old 01-03-2006, 09:56 AM

As I said above, my PJ was turned off at the switch for most of a day, I watched a movie last night WITHOUT any brightness changes/flickering. I will keep testing.

Not sure how long the unit needs to be hard powered off/unplugged for to make a difference? A few seconds. minutes, hours?????

Optoma HD8200, Denon AVR-2309ci, PS3
post #101 of 101 Old 01-03-2006, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
just an fyi

changed my bulb last night at 1330 hours

wow, what a huge difference, i can actually see it again! ;)

seemed to really start to fade around 1000 hours

"the one who has the most fun wins."
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page