AE700 - lamp brightness changing slow flicker...AE700 owners please read... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 101 Old 03-26-2005, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so i posted this a couple weeks back, but i'm going to do it again

i've got about 420 hours on my ae700
lately, i don't know if i've just been super light sensitive or what, but i'm seeing the brightness on the 700 intermintently raise and lower quickly. it will shoot up just a tad for about 3 or 4 seconds, then drop down seconds later. there's no consistency and the timing is not static. the frequency changes. i see it accross all inputs, however vga (htpc desktop) appears to be the most noticeable. i have dynamic iris turned OFF on all inputs so that is not what i'm seeing (unless it's broken ;) )

in addition, at times (not very frequently though) i hear a similar sond coming from the PJ that it makes when it first starts up. that little "chunk" sound. there is no disruption to the picture though. it could be the plastic expanding or contracting possilbly, i don't know, but it does sound an aweful lot like that startup sound.

does anybody have any idea what may be going on here? i really don't think it's lamp flicker, but maybe it is. do you think there's something wrong with the pj? i can ignore it if i try hard enough, but it really pisses me off at times when i see it on my htpc desktop.

i guess the first thing i should do is take it down and try it in another setup and see if i still see it, but was just wondering if any of you other's are seeing this?

tia and have a great rest of the weekend

billy

"the one who has the most fun wins."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 03-26-2005, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by billymac
so i posted this a couple weeks back, but i'm going to do it again

i've got about 420 hours on my ae700
lately, i don't know if i've just been super light sensitive or what, but i'm seeing the brightness on the 700 intermintently raise and lower quickly. it will shoot up just a tad for about 3 or 4 seconds, then drop down seconds later. there's no consistency and the timing is not static. the frequency changes. i see it accross all inputs, however vga (htpc desktop) appears to be the most noticeable. i have dynamic iris turned OFF on all inputs so that is not what i'm seeing (unless it's broken ;) )

in addition, at times (not very frequently though) i hear a similar sond coming from the PJ that it makes when it first starts up. that little "chunk" sound. there is no disruption to the picture though. it could be the plastic expanding or contracting possilbly, i don't know, but it does sound an aweful lot like that startup sound.

does anybody have any idea what may be going on here? i really don't think it's lamp flicker, but maybe it is. do you think there's something wrong with the pj? i can ignore it if i try hard enough, but it really pisses me off at times when i see it on my htpc desktop.

i guess the first thing i should do is take it down and try it in another setup and see if i still see it, but was just wondering if any of you other's are seeing this?

tia and have a great rest of the weekend

billy
That sound on startup is the Iris going through its self calibration and your description suggested to me that it was an iris related issue, but you say it is OFF so the next thing would be a failing bulb.
If you do not disconnect the PJ from the mains I suggest you take it through a power cycle doing so - disconnect overnight. If that does not change anything I would suggest you call Panasonic and relate the issues with the sound as that would have to be mechanical and in my opinion related to the IRIS.

ted
post #3 of 101 Old 03-26-2005, 03:12 PM
JP
AVS Special Member

I know how you feel. I have the same problem right now on my NEC VT540. I have owned it for about 4 years. This is my second bulb. The first one lasted about 3000 hours. This one has only 800 hours but recently it started exhibiting an effect similar to what you describe. After watching for an hour or so the image will turn darker and the whites will look like there is a haze of brown over them. When this change happens you can see it and it is very significant. It is almost as if the projector has lost its ability to know how much light should be output and it is searching. The real strange thing is the issue hasn't come back in days. I have had it on for hours today and the image looks bright and the whites have a slight hint of blue to them as it should be on this projector. A few people have commented that this is due to a bad bulb. This might be the case but what I don't understand is why it changes so drastically. If it was the buld degrading prematurely I would expect it to go darker and then stay there, not mysteriously "fix" itself. I am worred there might be something electroncially that is amiss. I guess we'll both have to wait a bit longer to get more information to know what is going on here.
post #4 of 101 Old 03-27-2005, 06:10 PM

Chunk noise = Auto Iris. I get the same noise when chaning inputs/channels. Turned of the Iris, noise is gone.

I.
post #5 of 101 Old 03-27-2005, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

iris is off on all inputs though

and noise happens while watching single source

really starting to bug me bad

anybody have any ideas?

i've power cycled and left it off all weekend

watching six feet under episode and it drove me NUTS

post #6 of 101 Old 03-27-2005, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i should add though, that the iris noise isn't all the time, but the brightness going up and down is, and it is absolutely bugging the crap out of me.

post #7 of 101 Old 03-27-2005, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

and i should also add that if i turn the dynamic iris option ON it doesn't do it as bad, but it does still do it a little bit...i would say less frequently maybe, but still the same problem

post #8 of 101 Old 03-27-2005, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i should add though, that the iris noise isn't all the time, but the brightness going up and down is, and it is absolutely bugging the crap out of me.
Only things I can think of are Lamp, Iris, or Power Supply - I'd bet the supply is stable. Call Panasonic - the sound (which as Ilya pointed out is likely Iris if its the same sound that occurs when the unit powers on) though intermittent *is* a concern. If it requires shipping I understand your hesitancy.

ted
post #9 of 101 Old 03-29-2005, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

what about re-seating the lamp? would that do anything?

i'm reaching here, but i'm still getting it and if anything it's geting worse

iris on or off

ARRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

is it possible it could be power related? it's not a dedicated circuit

how could i correct that? the outlet is near the ceiling

is there anything that can "clean" the power that can hang from the outlet and then plug the pj into that? from what i've seen anything that offer's that type of functionality is big.

post #10 of 101 Old 03-29-2005, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

I doubt your problem is being caused by line current or voltage. What you can do to check this out is to connect the projector with a heavy extension cord plugged into to another branch circuit. Since the projector only consumes about 150 watts, the projector itself is not loading down the circuit.

Tom
post #11 of 101 Old 03-29-2005, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

what if the power wasn't "clean" per say though?

i guess i'll try re-connecting the lamp...

if it is the lamp, is there any chance that it could go away?

post #12 of 101 Old 03-29-2005, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
what if the power wasn't "clean" per say though?

i guess i'll try re-connecting the lamp...

if it is the lamp, is there any chance that it could go away?
I personally doubt that, as line ripple should be adequately filtered by the 700's power supply. You *could* try plugging it into a dedicated circuit as Thomas suggested and see if that helps. Have you consulted with Panasonic?

ted
post #13 of 101 Old 03-29-2005, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

no, i haven't tried calling panasonic yet, i'm very leary of sending it in just yet without fully trouble-shooting the problem. i don't want to live without it for 2 weeks only to have them tell me they couldn't figure out what is wrong it it. i've read that some projectors go through a phase of lamp flicker and that it often times "corrects itself". i'm kind of hoping this may be the potential problem, but i fear that may be wishful thinking.

post #14 of 101 Old 03-29-2005, 10:43 AM
JP
AVS Special Member

"projectors often times go through a phase of lamp flicker?" So there is a part of you that thinks this might be a normal part of the degradation process? I have never heard of lamp flicker ever being normal...can anyone confirm whether or not this is true?
post #15 of 101 Old 03-29-2005, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
no, i haven't tried calling panasonic yet, i'm very leary of sending it in just yet without fully trouble-shooting the problem. i don't want to live without it for 2 weeks only to have them tell me they couldn't figure out what is wrong it it. i've read that some projectors go through a phase of lamp flicker and that it often times "corrects itself". i'm kind of hoping this may be the potential problem, but i fear that may be wishful thinking.
I fully understand if you've to send it off, but you might speak to them. I personally think its the bulb though your description of the intermittent sound *would* concern me because by your description that would be the IRIS self-calibrating and you say it is off.

Do you think at some point in the life of this unit given your usage patterns that you might require a new bulb? If you do you might consider purchasing it now and using it for its lifetime, replacing it with the old one when the new one ends. This would at least allow you to confirm whether it is the bulb or not. using the new bulb would also allow you to at least use it within its warranty period so you wouldn't lose on that. I've no idea what else I could suggest.

ted
post #16 of 101 Old 03-29-2005, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks for the replies tvted. i'm going to try a couple things and will also be purchasing a bulb soon. i'm crossing my fingers it goes away and if i do have to send it in, they fix the cropping issue over hdmi on a new firmware rev and they can flash it.. :p :D :p :D ;)

post #17 of 101 Old 04-06-2005, 09:26 PM

I am going through the same phase with my AE700. When I hit around 400hrs I noticed the image start to dim or loose it's pop. Very slight at first. Now it has progressed even more. While I used to watch in "normal" mode, I now find myself having to use "dynamic" just to get the same punch out of the picture. Seems to be a loss of some shadow detail as well.

I am currently at 545hrs and now the other problem I have noticed is a very annoying brightness flicker. It occurs every 20-30 seconds or so. I never had this problem to begin with so I don't think it is voltage related. Actually, I am convinced it is my bulb starting to go which really p***** me off since they are so pricey. I have only had the unit for 5 months now so should I send it in for warranty?

If it's the bulb then it will be tough luck I guess. I really enjoyed the projector's image from the start and was hoping it would last at least 1500hrs before I needed to replace the bulb.

It's not the size of your subwoofer.....ok, yeah it is:)
post #18 of 101 Old 04-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds like the old macrovision copy protection where video brightness constantly shifts....

The Silver Screen Cinema
Co-Optimus (Co-Op Gaming)
The Weekly Release (Game, DVD, and Movie Release Dates)
post #19 of 101 Old 04-07-2005, 10:14 AM

So you don't think it is bulb related then?

I am thinking of sending it in for the firmware upgrade and have them check it over. Maybe we can figure it out.

post #20 of 101 Old 04-07-2005, 04:47 PM

I dont understand that nobody has this problem? I must be that they dont see it or something. My first AE100 flickered. I have had three new AE700 at my home, all had the same flickering. One guy said all the AE series has this problem because of cheap power supply. I just have to live with it. By the way i also tried a brand new lamp in my AE700.

Not waiting for a perfect projector anymore!
post #21 of 101 Old 04-09-2005, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by exsodius
I dont understand that nobody has this problem? I must be that they dont see it or something. My first AE100 flickered. I have had three new AE700 at my home, all had the same flickering. One guy said all the AE series has this problem because of cheap power supply. I just have to live with it. By the way i also tried a brand new lamp in my AE700.
Was this guy someone at Panasonic? I just started getting this flickering problem too, and thought it was the bulb going.
post #22 of 101 Old 04-09-2005, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

wow, i guess in a way, i'm glad to hear i'm not alone

when i first posted this, i was bummed because nobody had been seeing anything like it, now it turns out there are a few of us at least. has anybody logged a call yet regarding this issue with panasonic? if so, can you provide a ref# or case#? and your results?

mine has appeared to subside, but i still have other issues, like hearing the dynamic iris when changing channels or when going to commerical

enough that i may consider sending the unit in well before the warranty expires to ensure i get it back in satisfactory condition

post #23 of 101 Old 04-10-2005, 12:05 AM

Billymac, mine briefly subsided tonight for almost an entire movie before coming back. Now it seems intermittent. I am living with it at the moment but I think I will call Panasonic next week to see what they have to say. Keep you posted.

post #24 of 101 Old 04-10-2005, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone with flickering purchased a second bulb yet?
At least it would allow for a determination as to whether this problem lies in the quality of the bulb or in the voltage regulation feeding the bulb.

Anyone know whether this bulb operates at line or requires step up or down?

Also - does anyone know what a UHM bulb is?
On Google the reference I can find to this is only related to Panasonic PJ's. One source mentioned it as proprietary to Panasonic.

I'm currious as to how this differs from a UHP bulb used by other PJ's with respect to spectrum and voltage drive.

ted
post #25 of 101 Old 04-11-2005, 04:01 AM

Some bulbs with a flickering arc are really weird, rotate the projector 180 degree's and the flickering sometimes stops!, be it magnectic fields or solar flares?, my guess is the internal electrodes, ionic exchange varies between the cathodic variations due to the flux capacitance, or as one wiseman said "me thinks the lamp is problem" :confused:
post #26 of 101 Old 04-11-2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tvted
Has anyone with flickering purchased a second bulb yet?
At least it would allow for a determination as to whether this problem lies in the quality of the bulb or in the voltage regulation feeding the bulb.

Anyone know whether this bulb operates at line or requires step up or down?

Also - does anyone know what a UH
M bulb is?
On Google the reference I can find to this is only related to Panasonic PJ's. One source mentioned it as proprietary to Panasonic.

I'm currious as to how this differs from a UHP bulb used by other PJ's with respect to spectrum and voltage drive.

ted
Hello Ted

Yes i have tried a totally new bulb in my 700. But it is exactly the same. It must be the voltage regulation.

Listen to this you guys. My flickering is not bad at daytime, but every night at 1200 am it starts flickering. I found out that there is a big slaughter house nearby that starts working at 1200 am every night. This slaughter consumes a LOT of power from the same trafo that i am connected to. So in my case it looks like the 700 is very sensitive to crappy voltage lines.

Anyway, i just wanted to mention it.

post #27 of 101 Old 04-11-2005, 04:36 PM

Quote:
wow, i guess in a way, i'm glad to hear i'm not alone

when i first posted this, i was bummed because nobody had been seeing anything like it, now it turns out there are a few of us at least. has anybody logged a call yet regarding this issue with panasonic? if so, can you provide a ref# or case#? and your results?

mine has appeared to subside, but i still have other issues, like hearing the dynamic iris when changing channels or when going to commerical

enough that i may consider sending the unit in well before the warranty expires to ensure i get it back in satisfactory condition
I just love hearing my dynamic iris clicking at it's peak position. Why? Because it will always tell me that its working. Don't worry about it. It is totally normal :)

Hehe, i found a chapter on a dvd that wil get yours dynamic iris to click 7 times in one second!!!! World record?

post #28 of 101 Old 04-11-2005, 04:43 PM

Hmmm, I wonder if putting it on a battery back-up device would smooth out the voltage dips?

The company I work for sells them to hospitals and clinics to put their x-ray scanners and computer equipment on in case of power failure. I may have to bring one home to test this idea out:)

The problem was not as bad the past couple days. It is still there though, as well as the dimmer picture.

post #29 of 101 Old 04-11-2005, 04:50 PM

Those of you with this problem:
how many hours do you have on your projector?
post #30 of 101 Old 04-11-2005, 04:59 PM

About 550hrs now. First noticed the picture dim at about 350-400 a bit. Flicker just started around 450hrs.

Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page