post #91 of 99 Old 06-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel_ht
Off Topic: Eh...$330K for 3BR rancher (on the small side - 1500 sq ft) on a 1/3 an acre in Columbia last year. Probably worth $400K now. 45-50 mins from Columbia to Anacostia/Blue Plains area in normal rush hour (ie no accident on 95 or the parkway).

33 mins when I drive like a maniac around 10am. I was...er...late for a meeting.

You can live in the DC area for $150K annual family income in a good (more or less) school district. At the time we could have purchased in the covetted Centennial school district with a bigger (about 2000 sq ft) albeit older and wierder house.

On Topic: My brother in law is probably buying the X3...I'll set it up next to my ancient M20X and see how well it works in comparison.

Nigel

Not that this is a r.e. thread (or board) but 45-50 min to anacostia/blue plains is 60-65 to downtown - which was my point. And as you said, that's a "normal rush hour" which we have maybe 60% of the time around here. Call me a wimp, but spending more then 2 full hours in the car every day just to commute when I work around 11 just doesn't seem like a life. Nice area Columbia though.

I'm sure the x3 will outrun the old pj - it seems (there's one other thread with a mini review) that it is a nice move for those folks (like me) who need to replace the x1 bulb and use primarily hd and upconverted dvd and want something to tide them over for 18-24 months.

I have been half kidding on this ae800 thread, but it does sound like some market segment shifting pjs will be coming out this fall - the D5s, whatever IF is going to do to respond (the 4810? - x3 based? - 1024x576? - do they confront the d5 with a 720p dlp move - 1999 list, hold the street price tight) and the possiblity that you find unsold ae700s sitting on the x3 price by xmas if a ae800 comes out.

I'm going to clench regarding my lazarus of a bulb and wait for the sept announcements and then see where everything falls - a 300 bulb will make more sense for football season if I'm going to give myself a chrismas present of something new.

then again, if they lay a big goosegg, hopefully the two months will have saved me a hundred or two and the x3 will be christened with some HD football.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 09-10-2005, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdon
Why is that? I've found that the Faroudja in the X1 is a much better deinterlacer than what is found in almost all progressive scan players - short of the really expensive ones (that I want!). Feeding a 480i signal into the s-video (with component adapter) with very few exceptions will provide a superior picture than feeding a 480p into the VGA. Plus it makes non-HD X-Box games look great. The DCDi alone is what makes the X1 far more desirable than the X1a (or X2 for that matter).
Hi Itsdon,

I have a 4805. In my tests of S-video versus component connection, using THX video tests, the component connection was far more superior in almost every video test. The S1 connection did not display the whites clearly, colors were not as good, clarity was bad compared to the component.

I used a shielded 30" S-video cable and a 25" component cable. DVD player was the Philip DVP-642.

Has anyone experienced the S-video to be better than component using a test like the THX video test?

Thanks!
post #93 of 99 Old 09-10-2005, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnqst
Hi Itsdon,

I have a 4805. In my tests of S-video versus component connection, using THX video tests, the component connection was far more superior in almost every video test. The S1 connection did not display the whites clearly, colors were not as good, clarity was bad compared to the component.

I used a shielded 30" S-video cable and a 25" component cable. DVD player was the Philip DVP-642.

Has anyone experienced the S-video to be better than component using a test like the THX video test?

Thanks!
In your situation you are completely correct. The difference between the X1 and 4805 (amongst other things) is that the S-Video on the X1 is 'special' in that it has two extra pins for color. As I mentioned in my post, using S-Video 'with the component adapter' is MUCH better than simply running s-video straight to the PJ. The component adapter takes the full 480i signal from your DVD player and routes it through the S-Video port of the X1, thus enabling the Faroudja which can do it's magic on the full blown component signal. Your 4805 bypasses all this by simply providing component inputs from the get go.

"Life is a toy, play with it"
post #94 of 99 Old 09-10-2005, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
not trying to ruin the thread or anything

http://www.optomausa.com/optomausa/p..._bproj_719.jsp

seems to be, for the most part, the same projector. Same chip, same contrast, etc...

most of the optoma business projectors we sell at bestbuy seem to have 4x color wheels instead of 2x.. so that may impact some people's purchases. This one is also a bit cheaper than the x3... we have a non functional display so i've never seen it in person. Optoma doesn't say how fast the wheel is either. I know i saw some serious rainbows with my x1 before i exchanged it
post #95 of 99 Old 09-11-2005, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2
the faroudja on the x1 is a mute point for most people
I've X1 and I'm using it with both S-video adapter as well as VGA adapter for Computer-in. I want to know is there any advantage using S-video over VGA ? I pass my video signal from Toshiba DVD player (RSTX20 - Tivo with built in hdd) using component cable. Is there any setting which I need to use to enable faroudja or when I connect using S-video it automatically use faroudja chip ?
Most of my viewing is reular TV, DVD & HDTV. So viewing HDTV using S-video makes any difference compared to VGA ? Also I cannot send progressive scan output from DVD player if I connect to S-video.
post #96 of 99 Old 11-16-2005, 12:55 PM

So I have been staring at my X3 now for 500 hours and can share some of my findings.

Setup is:
Infocus X3
Comcast 6412 HDTV via HMDI to X3
Panasonic S77 DVD via S Video
Goo Screen!

I upgraded from an X1 when i purchased a new home. So I was struck by the additional brightness and resolution. I tried out an Z3 in this same room and it was no contest with the ambient light.

This setup looks great even when the room has some ambient light. I could never do that with the X1. The settings are mostly stock with some tweaks of the brightness.

The HDTV just rocks on the X3. Great color saturation and MNF never looked this good.

I have had some interesting experience with the DVD. The picture looks better NOT upconverted via HDMI. It looks best letting the deinterlacer on the X3 take over. I don't watch a lot of 4:3 content and drive the 4:3 content via HDMI at the same resolution as 16:9. It's the non 4:3 override on the 6412. I find I can tolerate the SDTV content better when it's smaller.

I watched the Harry Potter flicks this week with those tough dark scenes and it looked grand in a completely dark room. I thought the screen had great contrast on the Film settings and rendered a great picture for SDTV content.

I had the same Harry Potter flicks in HDTV off the cable box and it just got better and better.

Sorry if all the comments are for the Z4, 4805, ect. I think these people are not looking at the X3 alone and thinking this is just a juiced up X1. It's not and stands well on it's own.

Bang for buck at around $1k is the kicker and I doubt spending another $1k would make anyone that much happier. You will probably upgrade in 2 years anyway and it would be easier to kiss $1k goodbye than $2k and wait 4 years to upgrade next time.

I have seen the rainbows but very rarely on a 110" screen.

I do have concerns about the color wheel noise once again but for now, it rather quiet at about 4 feet above my head at viewing distance.

I hate the ambient light leaks out of the vents. This is the same problem I had on the X1. It is nice not to see any screen blobs once again.Maybe I'll do a better job of cleaning it this time.
post #97 of 99 Old 02-02-2006, 07:23 AM

What a bummer that the color buzz is back in full force at 1000 hours.

Guess I will review the latest on Infocus X1,X2, and X3 threads to see what is the latest fix. I will probably have to send it in for replacement like I did for the X1. Wish they would correct this design flaw!!
post #98 of 99 Old 02-02-2006, 07:31 AM

Liked: 90
I got a buzz at about 1.5k hours with our X1. I ignored it and I have not noticed it since. We're at 2100+ hours now. I do hope it doesn't return.
post #99 of 99 Old 02-12-2006, 07:12 PM

I want to buy a proyector to watch television , use my playstation 2 , to watch dvd and to see computer images what do i buy ????? X3 or a 4805???????
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page