Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 98 Old 04-27-2006, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Or... freckleface.com if all else fails.

Bobby

Bobby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 04-28-2006, 08:38 AM

Well, Home Depot has it but my store was out... I called a glass shop and they had some but they were further away then the other home depot that says they have it in stock (and $7 more for a smaller sheet, but would be cut to my specs.)... Guess I will decided how much I want to drive to do this...

Ben
post #93 of 98 Old 04-28-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben98gs
I will try home depot then... Lowes near me only had the thickest of .125

This is the last step to having my theater up and running (then hopefully the AVIA disc comes soon so I can calibrate).
Both HD and Lowes only had huge sheets of ~0.23" plexiglass ($40) near me.
So I used 0.25" compressed board. Got a 1.5' x 3' sheet for free from HD. I found it in the scrap pile in the wood section, but it was not marked with spray paint, so they gave it to me for free at the register! Even if it were marked, it would probably only have run a $1 or $2 since it was scrap.

I spray painted it white to match the wall color. Looks fine if you ask me. I was also able to cut a hole in the pressed board where the center of the flange went over - thinking that I'd feed some cables through. I opted not to do that since I will have multiple mounting points in my basement. But the hole adds extra ventilation.

In addition, I may use my jigsaw and "customize" the shape (around the location of the mounting screws) to allow for even more ventilation. I think that the pressed board may be easier to work with for shaping and also add a little more support than the 0.22" plexiglas for a "customized" shape.
post #94 of 98 Old 05-01-2006, 10:03 AM

Well I found some... 1/4 Lexan 10 in. x 8 in. sheet custom cut with radiused corners for $5 out the door :eek: . I bought it from www.meyerplastics.com

They were REALLY nice and I am sure, if I would have thought about it, they would have even polished the edges (I didnt think about it until I walked out the door). Might be worth trying to contact them. I cannot imagine shipping being more than $5 on that (just slide it in a padded envelope, it does have the protective covers on it and the guy told me the 1/4 Lexan I could take a hammer to and it would be fine). Could be worth a try to contact them and find out if they would do it and ship it to anyone looking for a small sheet and can only find the $40 Home Depot sheet...

I even thought about getting a bunch cut for different projectors and selling them (for little to no profit) to people on here if they wanted.

Ben
post #95 of 98 Old 05-01-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinControl
In addition, I may use my jigsaw and "customize" the shape (around the location of the mounting screws) to allow for even more ventilation. I think that the pressed board may be easier to work with for shaping and also add a little more support than the 0.22" plexiglas for a "customized" shape.
I think the 1/4" plexiglas would be fine for support... I cannot even bend the piece I have... Although as you cut out holes and corners for ventilation, I dont know how much it would affect it (I dont think enough to cause any problems, but definitely probably gets "weaker"). As for cutting... I am sure if I had the dimensions I could get it cut however anyone would choose at the place I got mine from (charge would probably be a little more though, but I only paid $5).
post #96 of 98 Old 07-06-2006, 08:25 AM

I am looking at making one of these mounts, but what concerns me is that with my projector (Optoma H31) the mounting holes are 3 tiny ones near the center of the projector. There is also a fairly large hole in the center of the projector, but I am not sure if that is also used for mounting. May main concern is that with the weight concentrated more in the center, not spread out like the one in this thread, it will put to much pressure on the plexiglass and cause a failure.

The projector weights about 5lbs. Any suggestions or comments?
post #97 of 98 Old 07-10-2006, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

No, being closer to the pipe flange in the center, you're actually applying LESS force to the plexiglass plate than if they mounted out on the edges. Let's put it this way, I don't think you could snap a 10" x 10" x .25" square of acrylic or lexan with your bare hands so let's not worry about 5 pounds.

Bobby

Bobby
post #98 of 98 Old 07-10-2006, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Agreed. I think there's a subconscious fear that because you can see through it and it's thin, it must be weak. I wouldn't hang a CRT from it, but anything up to 25 lbs I wouldn't be worried about in the least (and I typically over-build everything, so I'm paranoid about these things).

-Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page