Optoma H27 review and screenshots - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 760 Old 08-24-2005, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You can adapt mounts by cutting a wooden plate to match the mount and drilling holes in the plate to match the projector. Also the H27 probably has a center tripod screw. You could use the low priced Panvise mount. Which is a ball and socket with a tripod screw to attach. These have an advantage to pretty well flush mount. Could help with the offset.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 760 Old 08-24-2005, 05:39 PM

Liked: 10
I've just built an htpc and am going to by an h27 from costco (best price i've found). (i think i can say the name of the place but not the price, if this is incorrect, i apologize). my htpc video card has dvi output. what kind of cable do i need and how long can the cable be without causing distortion? are there effective ways to increase the signal strength if i need to do so for a 30ft run? sorry for the newb questions, but that's what i am and i can't wait to get this started. thanks, doug
post #93 of 760 Old 08-25-2005, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Long cables can be a problem. Members have had good luck with the Ram cables at long runs.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #94 of 760 Old 08-25-2005, 07:11 PM

Ok, so take this as you will, I am just relaying information that was given to me by a sales rep from an online store with a Canadian warehouse.

I had finally decided upon ordering the H27, so I contacted the sales guy that I have had some emails back and forth with. He had the H27 showing up in his system as 'end of life' from Optoma, so he said he would phone me back.

He phoned me back after talking to his Optoma rep, and said that, yes, the H27 was 'end of life' and that the last batch of them in Canada was bought up by a certain large electronics store.

I have also talked with Jason at AVS about the 27, but the only reason I was going to go with this other guy was because of some reservations I had that there might be warrantee issues with a PJ from the States.

So, this is where I need some input.

I can either:

1. Try to get the H27 from AVS, assuming they can get stock, and that there wouldn't be any warrantee issues.
2. Get an H31 instead from the Canadian guy (for about $100 more than the 27).
3. (I guess), get the H27 from the large electronics place, at $150 more than I would have paid online.

Any opinions, I hope to being to make a decision soon and start enjoying my new PJ

Cheers!!

Edit: Forgot to mention, DVI connection to HTPC is critical for me, that is why I originally (eventually) decided upon the H27, but I am hoping that this is now ironed out with the 31.
post #95 of 760 Old 08-26-2005, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post

He phoned me back after talking to his Optoma rep, and said that, yes, the H27 was 'end of life' and that the last batch of them in Canada was bought up by a certain large electronics store.

End of Life?

wasn't this just released in June?

if so, that's a reallly short lifespan....

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/t/627113/diy-subwoofer-section
post #96 of 760 Old 08-26-2005, 05:49 AM

It is my understanding that the H31 is end of life being replaced by the H27.
post #97 of 760 Old 08-26-2005, 07:38 AM

Agreed to both Vashon and Dog, I would have expected the H27 to be around for a while. Not sure if anyone else can confirm this about the H27 or not.

Any suggestions to me on how to proceed?
post #98 of 760 Old 08-26-2005, 08:25 AM

Well I guess I'm in the same boat as you Case. I too am leaning heavily towards purchasing the H27 around mid September. I'm just waiting to see if CEDIA will affect prices.
post #99 of 760 Old 08-26-2005, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post

Agreed to both Vashon and Dog, I would have expected the H27 to be around for a while. Not sure if anyone else can confirm this about the H27 or not.

Any suggestions to me on how to proceed?

The H27 is more sure fire for your HTPC worries. Last week when I talked to Wing he said the H31 is doing to well to close it out and the H27 is doing real well in Asia and Europe. No mention on the H27 being closed out.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #100 of 760 Old 08-26-2005, 09:54 AM

For what it's worth, I was at an audio/visual place last night and he told me that the H31 is now discontinued (at least in Canada) but he said he could order me a H27.

So, who do you believe?
post #101 of 760 Old 08-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

I have been comparing and contrasting the H27, the H31 and the InFocus 4805. My problem with the H27 is that the offset is quite a bit different than the other two. I want to do a ceiling mount so the kids don't knock the heck out of it. If I do that, the bottom of the image is about 16" off the ground (assuming something like a 106" diagonal) which is too low. If I go with either the H31 or the 4805, the bottom of my image is about 27" off the ground. That is much better. I don't want to tilt and use keystone adjustments.

Has anyone considered this aspect when comparing the two? I think my room situation drives the issue to some degree.
post #102 of 760 Old 08-26-2005, 11:04 AM

Offset is a definite factor with this PJ.

I am going to have to mount it pretty much flush to the ceiling in order to not have to use keystoning, but it will still work in my situation.
post #103 of 760 Old 08-26-2005, 12:04 PM

I was considering returning my H31 to Costco and ordering the H27.... However, that would mean that my now "perfect set up" would be altered. I would have to mount the H27 two feet further (farther?) back and my screen would need to be better than a foot lower. WEll, that's just not going to work for me.

Nevermind.

When it comes to home theater and all the attributes of this projector or that projector some people have chosen to take the blue pill.
post #104 of 760 Old 08-26-2005, 05:36 PM

i've gone to the optoma website, but can't find how i can calculate where the screen will need to be relative to floor and ceiling. is there a formula?
post #105 of 760 Old 08-26-2005, 05:52 PM

For the H27, its offset is 57%.

So, take your screen height, and multiply by .57, this is the amount of inches that the image will start below (or above if tabletop mounted) the centerline of the lens of the PJ.
post #106 of 760 Old 08-27-2005, 07:51 AM

Due to the H27's HUGE offset, I won't be ordering after all. I got a 10' ceiling, even flush ceiling mounting it (10" from ceiling to lens) with a 120" diagonal screen (60" screen hight), 17.5' projection distance, putting the bottom of the screen about 15" from the ground, what were Optoma thinking? Keystone adjustment gotta be at the maximum for me to get a decent viewing position, but at a cost of picture degradation. Guess I will wait till CEDIA announcement for new projectors.
post #107 of 760 Old 08-27-2005, 10:13 AM

I have a question I was thinking about getting into DLP Projectors and was either getting the Infocus 4805 or the new Optoma H27. Which one should I get? I already have a $1,000 saved up and will have close to 600-700 dollars more by the middle of September to get one. If I get the optoma 27, where can I get the bulb? I have looked everywhere but can't seem to find a place that sells it yet.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT:

If you go to shopathometv they have the 4805 and the optoma h27 projectors that come with a 100-106 screen if anyone is interested. That is where I am going to get my new projector after I know which one I should get.
post #108 of 760 Old 08-27-2005, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You have to decide what features or problems would effect you the most.

4805 is tuned well coloring is very good, the fan's a little loud, it has very good contrast.

H27 might need some tuning, the fan is extremely low in sound. Contrast & blacks are very good. Plus I happend to like the coloring on the H27, you can see it in the screen shots posted.

You could buy bulbs direct from Optoma $300 bucks. You'll be surpised how hard it is to chaulk up heavy hours on these. I think I'm at 600hrs and it seems I've had the projector going night and day for the last eight months. 2400hrs to go I hope.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #109 of 760 Old 08-27-2005, 11:46 PM

I think i just made a big mistake! I have been wanting a front projector for my basement home theater and saw the ad on shop at home tv for the package deal on the h27 and 106 inch screen.Well i pulled the trigger without using my head and might be in trouble with the low ceiling in my basement(drop ceiling with about another 10 inches above the drop ceiling to the floor joices)the distance from floor to the drop ceiling is 83 inches.I am new this front projection scene so i am confused on how to figure where to place my screen,as far as figuring out the distance from ceiling to top of screen.I wanted to keep the screen as high as i could so my center channel speaker wouldn't end up on the floor!Is this setup going to work?Distance to screen is definatley not a problem,main seating will be 14ft away and room is 24 feet long.Any suggestions appreciated,thanks.P.S I guess i didnt mention that i wanted to ceiling mount the projector if at all possible.
post #110 of 760 Old 08-28-2005, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXT View Post

17.5' projection distance

That's enormous.

Quote:

putting the bottom of the screen about 15" from the ground, what were Optoma thinking?

I think they were thinking about coffee table use. If you want to stick this thing under a table in a reasonably sized room (meaning 10-12' from the screen) you really want that high offset--otherwise your picture will start somewhere around your ankles.

But I concur that waiting till after CEDIA is a very good idea.

~ Kiran
post #111 of 760 Old 08-28-2005, 07:52 AM

So it sounds like my only mounting option will be floor mounting .
post #112 of 760 Old 08-28-2005, 11:05 AM

Well remember if it does not work out the way you want it to, just send it back for a full refund. I am just going to have my projector when I get on a table or something similar but making sure it is about 12-15 feet back. I have to totally rearrange my room to do this but it will give me more room after I get rid of my 42" HDTV. Can't wait to try the bad boy out when I get it sometime next month.
post #113 of 760 Old 08-28-2005, 05:15 PM

Yeah i thought about just putting it on a small stand but dont want to move my favorite chair which is in the sweet spot at just where the projector needs to be. So i dont know what i am going to do,any ideas?I really want to use this projecter but the room height is really limiting things.
post #114 of 760 Old 08-28-2005, 07:09 PM

Too bad about the offset. I too am limited by ceiling mount considerations. 8 foot ceiling and 100" screen just won't work with this model! I hope Optoma reads this site so they realize all the sales they are losing.........
post #115 of 760 Old 08-28-2005, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4551 View Post

Yeah i thought about just putting it on a small stand but dont want to move my favorite chair which is in the sweet spot at just where the projector needs to be.

And it doesn't have enough offset to put under your chair?

(I'm actually thinking of trying this--bolting a bench seat to the floor and putting the projector on a cut-down mic stand (they have very heavy bases.) No reason not to take advantage of that nice offset.

~ Kiran
post #116 of 760 Old 08-29-2005, 05:48 AM

I just recently bought the H27, and found a neat little glass-topped stand that is just about the perfect height for my home theater from Staples; it's a printer stand, but it would fit into the decor of many HT's. I put the PJ on the second shelf under the glass top, so I have a place for the Remotes or a glass of {insert favorite beverage here}. Heat seems to go out the front so I don't feel any heat sitting reght next to it. Not - it's assemble your self furniture and be carefull with the drawer slides, they are very delicate untill you get the drawer into the unit. Don't force anything or you'll find little silver bbs on the floor .
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=121226
post #117 of 760 Old 08-29-2005, 03:42 PM

I have some questions, like I stated before I am thinking about buying the 4805 or h27 which one should I get? I am going to be playing xbox on it, watch digital cable, play dvds stuff like that. How do you know how many hours you have used on your bulb to know when you are needing to buy a new one soon?

Thanks
post #118 of 760 Old 08-29-2005, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

They have bulb counters. Hope to get near 3,000hrs using econo.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #119 of 760 Old 08-29-2005, 09:21 PM

Hi All,
Ive received my H27 over the weekend and must say the picture is awesome on my Elite Home Series motorized 16:9 108" screen! I must agree though that the throw angle is very steep...im still trying to work out the final setup details.

Best Regards,
Ricky
post #120 of 760 Old 08-29-2005, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Work it out, end result is one powerfull low priced Home Theater. Excellent images with the H27.
enjoy

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page