Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 07-02-2005, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just gone from 720p DLP to 1080p DILA. There is a considerable difference in detail. The added resolution does make a big difference. In fairness though there are so many other differences that it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

-kraig
post #93 of 100 Old 07-02-2005, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian
I will defer to your opinion since you obviously have MUCH more experience with projectors than I do. But, sticking with my pragmatic theme, I'll believe it when I see it. I've been underwhelmed with upscaling DVD players thus far.
Upscaling DVD's is not the same thing as 1080i motion adaptive deinterlaced to 1080P.
post #94 of 100 Old 07-02-2005, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Personally I wouldn't be able to tell this difference it I was being given the Pepsi Challenge.

"Dude - This is silly.

I have an 11 feet screen and I can tell the difference BIG TIME between 1280*720 and 1388*768.
And I mean BIIIIIG time."
post #95 of 100 Old 07-02-2005, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope
Personally I wouldn't be able to tell this difference it I was being given the Pepsi Challenge.
Even if you are sitting 8 feet away from an 11 foot screen, like Frederic is?

How about if you are sitting 1 foot away? ;)
post #96 of 100 Old 07-06-2005, 12:38 AM

I haven't read through all 4 pages of the thread so I apologize if this has been mentioned already. There is a simple argument for having higher resolutions - you can fit more material into the same screen size. Any HTPC user would prefer higher resolutions. The increase in resolution means you can display more on your desktop. Your eyes can certainly see that.

I can hardly see a difference in the quality of a game displayed on the same HTPC from 640x480 to 1600x1200, but I can see a difference in the quantity. As films are filmed in native 720p or 1080i, you will be able to see a difference in quantity and clarity of objects. A movie filmed in a native 1080i resolution being displayed on a 720p display will have to be downconverted and will suffer a loss in visual quality.

The most important thing I believe is the content. At the end of the day content is what makes us choose the display's we will buy. You will definately be able to see a "difference". You can see a difference between 640x480 and 1600x1200 simply due to the type of content. You will be able to see the "difference" in native 1920x1080 vs 1280x720 resolutions also due to the type of content.

The next generation of "all in one" media devices such as the XBOX 360 or Sony Playstation 3 will have content created at each devices native resolution.

Try plugging a Playstation 3 with native 1920x1080 resolution into a 720p display and you will certainly see a difference vs a native 1080i display.
post #97 of 100 Old 07-06-2005, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
As films are filmed in native 720p or 1080i, you will be able to see a difference in quantity and clarity of objects. A movie filmed in a native 1080i resolution being displayed on a 720p display will have to be downconverted and will suffer a loss in visual quality.
But wether or not you will be able to notice the missing detail will be anybodys guess, and will vary depending on how good your eyesight is and how far away from a given screensize you are. The differences may be negligible, or they may be profound.

I can say, when looking at 1080p samples of HD encoded in WM9 versus those same samples encoded at 720p, there is a subtle difference, but not a mind-blowing one...and I'm sitting right on top of my computer monitor. Wether or not those visual differences would be evident at larger sizes from further distances would remain to be seen.

Quote:
Try plugging a Playstation 3 with native 1920x1080 resolution into a 720p display and you will certainly see a difference vs a native 1080i display.
Thats an interesting comment, considering the Playstation 3 doesn't exist even in displayable forms yet......????

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #98 of 100 Old 07-06-2005, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

can't believe I just found this thread.

Unfortunately it looks like he removed the file. So can't say exactly what he used for calculations. But will add some comments anyway

1) as a mathematician (Masters in Mathematics) yes you need to look at the calculations, but in the end if the original model is wrong you are not getting results for reality. Models are constantly evolving based on current knowledge and what were the weaknesses in the old model. The first idea for the solar system was that the earth was at the centre and calculations were pretty far off, then came the Copernicus heliocentric model and the numbers were much closer to reality, finally there was a heliocentric versions with elliptical paths and that was much closer. The word atom comes from the Greek that means none divisible because the science of the day thought that it was the ultimate smallest matter possible, but then electrons came in to the picture and the new model had a nucleus, then they found out that the nucleus was divisible as well into protons and neutrons, the model then evolved into orbital electrons and then with quantum mechanics into probable areas. Models evolve to fit the facts better and better.

The simple fact that (fro what was said) that your model does not take binocular vision into consideration is a major flaw, it is of paramount importance in the way we see and what we can see.

2) even though what you say is true in a way (there are stuff we cannot differentiate because they are too small) the simple fact is that it is a matter of size and distance. so you can never definitely get that at resolution X no one will tell the difference. The simple truth is that if I 1/4 the resolution (cut each pixel in 4 identical shapes) I can always make the image 4x bigger or go 1/2 as far from the screen and from your eyes perspective (single eye open) there will be no difference

3) assuming the model is close enough and the math is correct the most you can do is say that at a given distance/screen (width, height, diagonal) someone with perfect vision should not see a difference. In other words you cannot get a strong conclusion on something like this and give an absolute and definitive answer

4) to the rest of you, there are many things to consider, how the different techs work and all that, so I don't think there can ever be a definitive test that proves how much better higher resolution will be. between different techs and different generations there is so many differences that can affect final look that it is not fair to attribute them all to higher resolution.
post #99 of 100 Old 07-06-2005, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Myself, I agree that 720p is high enough resolution if screen door is not a factor. Even at my 1:1 seating distance, which would be like sitting two feet from a 24" tv. I would take a 720p projector with no screen door over a 1080p with it any day.
Warren.
post #100 of 100 Old 07-06-2005, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
...as a mathematician (Masters in Mathematics) yes you need to look at the calculations, but in the end if the original model is wrong you are not getting results for reality...
Reminds me the first lecture a loooong time ago at the introduction of Applied Math:

"What's the difference between an applied and pure mathematician?
The pure one does what HE CAN do but the way it HAS to be done.
The applied does what he HAS to do but (alas) the way HE CAN."

That's the reason why the applied math results quite often have very little to do with real life: the model is too bold if not wrong at all. But we have to start somewhere.
Obviously, issues where human sensors are involved will never end up in the pure math land.

Interesting thread.

Diogen.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page