Can You Put a Projector on the Floor? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to projectors and wanted to know if you could put a projector on the floor. I would put it on the ceiling but there is a fan there. I would like to put the projector just in front of the bed. Thankx :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

It depends on the placement of your screen and the offset of your projector, and its distance from the screen. Some projectors, the NEC HT1000/11000, for example, have a very large offset. I have the NEC HT1000 installed on the lowest shelf of a table ( practically on the floor) and in 16:9 mode the bottom of the screen is approx. 17" up from the center of the lens. This is on a 92" wide screen with the PJ at 13.5 feet from the screen. I would have ceiling mounted it but the ceiling is too low.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 08:20 AM

You could, but you probably should have a least 9 feet between screen to projector. Depending on your projector, at 9 feet, the maximum size of your image would only be about 60", which may be too small (and bright).

A common size for front projectino is about 92" diagonal, which will be about 12-14 feet away from the screen (depending on projector).
post #4 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 08:21 AM
IVO

Just in front of the bed?

Not a good idea. First potential problem is falling asleep while watching a movie and adding needless hours to the bulb. Second, how big is your room? Even short throw pj's need around 9 feet to project a decent size. Third, dust is a huge problem on the floor. Fourth, unless your projector exhausts it's hot air from the front you could have a fire hazard on your hands.

I would advise against it. But you're free to do whatever you like.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniswack88
I am new to projectors and wanted to know if you could put a projector on the floor. I would put it on the ceiling but there is a fan there. I would like to put the projector just in front of the bed. Thankx :)

It would get kicked. Or somebody will spill something on it. Think long and hard before going this route.

Enjoy.

This ain't no upwardly mobile freeway, this is the road to hell.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 11:22 AM
mvv

I don't know about you but our bedroom is the dustiest room in the house. We have hardwood in the whole house so it's real easy to see where the dust gathers. I think the only worse place would be behind the clothes dryer!

;)
post #7 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd put it on a shelf in the back of the room, or hang it from a mount low enough to not have the ceiling fan obstructing the image projection. The floor is not a good option... A similar option that would be much better is something like in an end table that has good venting and protection, etc...
post #8 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Just put if on the floor and surround it by cinder blocks. If somebody kicks it they will be hurt more then the projector :D .
post #9 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvv
I don't know about you but our bedroom is the dustiest room in the house. We have hardwood in the whole house so it's real easy to see where the dust gathers. I think the only worse place would be behind the clothes dryer!

;)
My 6200 sits on the dining room table (I promise it'll have a real home someday). I've got about 250 hours on it and I've noticed the first signs of the inevitable DUST BLOBS. I also have hardwood floors and the amount of 'woolie buggers' that collect on the floor is AMAZING. Your projector would probably choke up with dust/pet hair before you knew it.

Enjoy.

This ain't no upwardly mobile freeway, this is the road to hell.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 03:33 PM

Put it in the little chest( or something ) with a hole and make sure it is vented. Size of the screen might be small but the offset can be controlled.
DWIN's TV3 has a great vertical offset and a short throw lens which is what you need. As far as falling asleep goes - I am not sure but I think TV3 will shutdown if there is no signal for a while. At least that's how their plasmas are. Call them up to make or ask current owners on this forum to check that for you.
Cheers
-B
post #11 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

"Little chest" - Ha!

Sanyo (Z3) recommends a minimum sized box of 6' wide by 2.6' deep by 1.5' high and completely open on the front. Anything smaller (without internal fans) will result in a PJ that gets way too hot.

Remember that filters should be cleaned every 40 hours or so.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #12 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your advice. I could put it on the ceiling but, how would I attach all the wires from other devices to the projector. I will be playing console games and watching tv with a cable box. I also can't do that internal wiring stuff. Thanx :)
post #13 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj
I'd put it on a shelf in the back of the room, or hang it from a mount low enough to not have the ceiling fan obstructing the image projection. The floor is not a good option... A similar option that would be much better is something like in an end table that has good venting and protection, etc...
That's what I use in our dedicated HT, b/c the ceiling is only 7 feet high:
post #14 of 18 Old 07-21-2005, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

That looks like a good idea. I will do something like that. Would it be possible to use the projector from an angle? Like, not directly in front of the screen but a bit to the side? Thanx.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-21-2005, 04:12 AM
IVO

Just look for a projecter with lens shift.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-21-2005, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

thanx.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-24-2005, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe
"Little chest" - Ha!

Sanyo (Z3) recommends a minimum sized box of 6' wide by 2.6' deep by 1.5' high and completely open on the front. Anything smaller (without internal fans) will result in a PJ that gets way too hot.

Remember that filters should be cleaned every 40 hours or so.
By little I was thinking something of a size that you mentioned ( 6, 2.6, 1.5 ).
I meant vented with a fan that is big enough(10-12") to blow out more cubic feet out than what comes out of the projector. One thing that one should be careful about is not to push the air back into the projector. This might happen when the enclosure reflects the air from where it comes out to where it sucked in. That's is not the case with bigger boxes.

Cheers,
-B
post #18 of 18 Old 07-25-2005, 01:01 AM

I have my X1 in a coffee table in a pretty large enclosed space. It does run a bit hot but I have left it on for countless hours like that and it seems to handle it well, although I'm sure it is reducing the life of the unit in some way. It's not the best solution, but it works for me as an interim thing. The throw distance that you are talking about however, is untenable. You need to have it much further back than you are considering. A lot of people don't realize that you need a large space for a projector to be worthwhile. Its not for everyone.

-IR
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page