New Dell 5100MP - 1400x1050 DLP 2500:1 CR and 3300 Lumens only $3499! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 105 Old 10-21-2005, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks R Johnson...but would I have to make major adjustments on my electric 4:3 screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 105 Old 10-21-2005, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I imagine so.

The new 1280x768 DLP units are widescreen. The native physical aspect ratio is 1.67. In the HD mode, the aspect ratio is 1.78. The XGA computer mode has a ratio of 1.33, which matches a 4:3 screen. But then you're "throwing away" (1280-1024) pixel columns.

I have an 800x600 Infocus X1, but I have a 16:9 screen, so I (gladly) "throw away" pixels at the top and bottom. I plan on buying a new 1280x768 projector and would use the HD mode exclusively - thus ignoring (768-720) pixel rows.
post #93 of 105 Old 10-21-2005, 09:24 PM

Liked: 10
staffcurtis,
definitely set the white peaking mode to zero if possible. this should enhance color saturation and diminish the white contrasty look some biz pj's have.

did you adjust contrast/brightness properly with a calibration disk?

did you readjust your HTPC's video card "overlay" or "VMR9" controls? I know when I swapped PJ's with same HTPC, this made a difference.

are you using the PJ in "low lamp" mode?

have u considered a Neutral Density filter to tame the lumens?

have u considered a negative gain screen to enhance contrast?

also note that all bulbs need some time to settle down, all the more so with this light cannon, mabe 50 hours or so minimum

hopefully this helps

finally, before ebaying the unit, try contacting Dell. My understanding is they were having some production problems and maybe you got a bum unit. I wouldn't be surprised. Ask for a swap, outlining your problem.
post #94 of 105 Old 10-25-2005, 10:27 PM

I am looking at the latest Dell catalog, and they've listed the 5100MP as a home entertainment projecter, complete with pictures of a living room. This means Dell DID intend it to be a home theater pj, so it shouldn't output that bad a picture.

staffcurtis, did you ebay yours or try to get a replacement from Dell for a possibly broken unit?

afrims
What happened with your review? Did you get yours shipped? How did you like it?

I am still keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping that further testing makes it into a better pj than initial testing has so far revealed.
post #95 of 105 Old 10-26-2005, 06:00 AM

for some reason, a direct link would not work here. Go to ebay, and search for 5100MP. My user ID is acarver1. I decided to just list it because I think the flaws are based on the design of the unit.
post #96 of 105 Old 11-08-2005, 09:48 AM

Hello all,

sorry for waiting so long for my response, but I've moved to my new place past weekend and didn't have much time. I did receive my Dell PJ, but this time I'm waiting for the Draper screen that I've ordered recently. I have been playing with the PJ by projecting the pic on the wall, and I can truly say that I don't think that I have ever seen anything more beautiful in my life. Picture is as sharp, clear, bright, brilliant as it can get. True that this is my first PJ, but I do own a Sony 42" plasma as well as Sony KDF70XBR950 70 Inch Rear Projection LCD. I don't know if this is a good comparison, but an un-calibrated pic from the PJ was better then the pic on my other two sets. HD signal via the HDMI is simply unbelievable and SD is decent, depending on the quality of the broadcast.
I'm yet to connect my X-Box via the component input and check the results.

I have not noticed any issues with colors, but I will focus specifically on that tonight when I get home. But if there was a significant difference in colors compare to my other two sets, my guess would be that I would have noticed it. I got to watch HDNET’s bikini destinations in Cancun on it last night, and I do remember the colors to be extraordinary.

I will update you about the colors tomorrow.

And yes TweaKing,

I will most definitely need your and other’s assistance on calibrating the PJ, as I’ve never done it before.
post #97 of 105 Old 11-08-2005, 02:10 PM

I just sold my Dell today, and I will tell you first hand that the picture quality is not that great. I just bought a Mitsubishi XD450U, and it blows the Dell away. Now resolution wise, the Dell is king, but for overall video, the picture is not good. It is difficult to judge a projector unless you compare it with another. At one point the picture looked OK, but when I fired up my older LT260k, it blew it out of the water. If you want to keep your dell, just don't have anyone bring a dedicated HT unit to compare it with. Especially for what you paid, I would have bought a different unit, but hey....enjoy it while you have it.
post #98 of 105 Old 11-11-2005, 07:01 AM

Hello staffcurtis,

you're probably right, as obviously you have more experience than I do when it comes to PJs. I am comparing it with my 70" tv set and I do like what I see. I have not even calibrated the unit.
However, when you say 'for overall video, the picture is not good', what exactly are you referring to? Colors or something else?

What other unit would you suggest I get, that sells around the same price?
Did you sell it on e-bay? Did you take a big hit?
post #99 of 105 Old 11-20-2005, 11:12 PM

I recently purchased this projector. The brightness and contrast are stunning. I do see the rainbow effect. This is visible when there is a bright white area in the picture and i flick my eyes from one area to another. I find that most movies do not elicit this especially if I am intently watching them. When I am bored I switch my gaze around more and see rainbows. With a good movie I mostly keep my eyes focused direct straight ahead and do not see rainbows. My partner has not complained about them and I have not mentioned them. I think this is one flaw that you might not notice until someone points it out. This is similar to the circles in the corner which signal reel changes. I never saw them until someone pointed them out and now I always notice them. Given the otherwise stunning picture and the amazingly low price, I can live with the rainbows.
post #100 of 105 Old 11-21-2005, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

If you see rainbows; it could be that the projector is just too bright and an ND2 camera filter would help reduce/eliminate rainbows....
post #101 of 105 Old 11-22-2005, 10:17 AM

Based on staffcurtis's negative review of this product and my inexperience in PJs, I decided to get rid of the Dell PJ. I have been reading reviews on Mitsubishi HC3000 and it looks like that's the best PJ for the price range.

What do you guys think? Go with HC3000, or do you suggest any other?
I watch lots of sports on HD as well as movies of course.

Pls advise.

thx
post #102 of 105 Old 11-22-2005, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm88
I was implying, altogether too subtly it seems, that if you can see rainbows you lack the brainpower to process and ignore extraneous information and simply perceive the projected image. :rolleyes:
That's hiarious... and I suppose I also lack the mental ability to turn off the nerve respones to my legs that would allow me to benefit from a wheelchair over walking? Or I lack the mental control over my sense of smell that would allow me to othewise enjoy eating a piece of poop without gagging? Is that what you mean?

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #103 of 105 Old 01-24-2006, 02:28 PM

Does anyone have the rf codes for this projector??

Trevor
post #104 of 105 Old 01-30-2006, 01:27 PM

Has anyone else tried this projector lately? I'm getting mixed reviews. The htguys really seemed to like it in their podcast review from the other day.
post #105 of 105 Old 01-30-2006, 01:45 PM

I will repeat....This projector is not good for home theater. It works good in high ambient light with windows applications. Not good for video. I sold mine, and would do it again if I had another.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page