Forum Jump: 

post #2041 of 2046 Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup View Post

Looks like the panel is degrading or some other problem. Perhaps an example of inorganic panel degradation everyone talks about.

How many hours on this projector?

IT's probably out of it's 3 year warranty anyway.

Time to upgrade! For inexpensive options...the Viewsonic pro8100 or perhaps the Epson 8100.

The projector is around 4000 hours. The projector is on its second bulb, which will need to be replaced soon. I had been hoping that it was something on the polarizers that might be able to be cleaned, so my parents could avoid the expense of the new projector. Although since the bulb is due to be replaced, I agree it would be better to upgrade then spend a tidy sum to fix it.

The upgrade route, if needed, would actually probable be an Epson 720. You can get one with an extra bulb for a few hundred less than the pro8100 or epson 8100 (or 6100 for that matter). Not that the pro8100 or epson 8100 aren't nice machines, but since my parents only have standard def sources, the 1080 isn't much of a priority.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2046 Old 11-30-2009, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
last night i had a power outage and crazy surge. It appeared to have caused my lamp to blow, since the projector wouldn't strike the lamp. After swapping it out with the replacement bulb that came with the projector nothing. Finally figured out that i needed to open cover and hit the reset switch to allow the bulb to work after a improper projector shut down. So I kept the new bulb in anyway, and boy is it bright! I'm going to have to adjust my settings now. I actually only have 1600 hours on the original bulb, and I'm assuming it still works so i wrapped it up as my back up for now. anyway, after almost 4 years i still love this projector, it works great; even tho it would be awesome to have newer 1080p i think i'll hang on to this for now.
post #2043 of 2046 Old 11-30-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 210
For those talking upgrade... just saw Sanyo 1080p at Bestbuy clearance, new for $1,100.00.

That is a great deal for a new 1080p FP.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #2044 of 2046 Old 11-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Tup

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithysmythe View Post

last night i had a power outage and crazy surge. It appeared to have caused my lamp to blow, since the projector wouldn't strike the lamp. After swapping it out with the replacement bulb that came with the projector nothing. Finally figured out that i needed to open cover and hit the reset switch to allow the bulb to work after a improper projector shut down. So I kept the new bulb in anyway, and boy is it bright! I'm going to have to adjust my settings now. I actually only have 1600 hours on the original bulb, and I'm assuming it still works so i wrapped it up as my back up for now. anyway, after almost 4 years i still love this projector, it works great; even tho it would be awesome to have newer 1080p i think i'll hang on to this for now.

Same thing happened to me last year....lucky for me I checked the net...thermal reset and I was back in business. 3800 hours on the original lamp. Getting dim though. When I step up to a new 8500UB it will seem like looking into the sun!
post #2045 of 2046 Old 11-30-2009, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
you should just go ahead and get a new bulb don't ya think? or save up for it soon, thats a lot of hours and a bright new bulb will make it snap again. Tho i have to say i like the look of the image the best after a couple hundred hours. What kind of screen are you using, i need a new one.
post #2046 of 2046 Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

I think mine was replaced after 3800 hours, or so. It was so bright with the new one (even on eco). You'll want a bigger screen to compensate for the additional light.
Hehehe...
JJ
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page