Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

"The situation is this - in the course of these reviews I am planning to make some comparative remarks concerning relative strengths and weaknesses between the AE900, the Sanyo Z4, and hopefully the Mits HC3000. In this three way face-off, all three units have some interesting strengths that trump the other two, and (since I wrote last) I find that all three have weaknesses that surprise me somewhat. However, none have been dramatic enough to warrant a return of the sample.

Due to the high profile nature of these reviews, and to ensure a fair comparison, I have asked the vendors to supply second samples so that I can verify that the first samples are indeed representative of the product's performance. Basically, I am just being extra cautious before making any public statements. The problems and weaknesses that I alluded to below were in the context of this three-way comparison of three very good products, and none of them rise to the level of a defect in product design. However, I can understand how that may have been construed from the language in my note below. I should have been more careful in setting the entire issue in proper context.

Thanks again for your kind interest in these upcoming reviews. I hope you will find them informative and helpful."

I'm trying to make a final decision on an upgrade to one of the "new group", and have been waiting for some comparative reviews. But, especially after reading this I'm not confident in the objectivity of Projector Central. I know that they delete negative reviews of resellers that advertise with them, and so I don't believe that they will be completely blunt about problems they see.

Does anyone know of any other upcoming comparative reviews?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

There have been some concerns about the objectivity before. The perception seems to be that Evan never met a projector he didn't like . That actually not fair, but it is the perception. I think they do a nice job with their write-ups highlighting the strengths of each model. I am concerned at times that they don't address the weaknesses in a significant fashion, but I don't know the motivation for that. Regardless, buying ANY projector based entirely off of what any site recommends, including this one, is a crapshoot. I'd never do it.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #363 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyll View Post

I'm trying to make a final decision on an upgrade to one of the "new group", and have been waiting for some comparative reviews. But, especially after reading this I'm not confident in the objectivity of Projector Central. I know that they delete negative reviews of resellers that advertise with them, and so I don't believe that they will be completely blunt about problems they see.

Does anyone know of any other upcoming comparative reviews?

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat as you (as are many others I'm sure! ). The only review I have seen so far on the AE900 appear to be from users and the initial one from ProjectorReviews. I have not seen the one that was promised by AVS here and am not sure if there is one coming up soon other than the one by ProjectorCentral (let alone a comparison with the Z4).

I had been holding out for the Epson machines (for the potentially higher brightness), but the initial review by Li On about the Epson machines appears not that promising. There is a chance that the Z4 with its 12bit processing may provide better colors than the AE900 (10 bit), but its iris performance is to be seen still. I think that I read somewhere (CineHome?) that its iris operation could be a weak point based on the way its designed. This is of course not confirmed.
Finally, the Sony is still vaporware in the US as far as I am concerned (you may think otherwise of course).

The buzz around the AE900 however sounds pretty good and I may just go with it. I am looking to project to a 120" screen in a completely light controlled room with gray walls, a light gray ceiling (and a fair bit of charcoal gray foam absorbers to darken them).

What conjectures can we make about the relative strengths/weaknesses of the Z4 and AE900 so far?
post #364 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I am also in the same boat. I do think that Projector Central gives decent reviews. I based my previous projector purchase on their reviews. I think you sometimes have to read between the lines. See which projectors become highly recommended. See what weaknesses and strengths each has. I would like to also see information on VB, brightness, and contrast for each machine. I would also love to see a review on Cine4home compairing the 900 to the Z4. Evan did say that each has some weakness I expect and hope he will detail this in his reviews. It will also be interesting to see a shootout between the machines. I agree with MadPoet that you should not make a decision on any one review.
post #365 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 07:57 AM

Anyone knows what screw size they use for the AE900 mounting holes? If not, do you know what size is for AE300 or AE700? I think they are all the same size.

Thanks for your help.

River
post #366 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
<<The sharpness differences between the H79 and AE900 are especially noticeable on text. The AE900 gives the text a more smeared look like CRTs to my eyes. And on a computer desktop it is especially noticeable with the desktop looking less sharp on the AE900. But on video this can be a good thing also since it smooths some things out. But with less sharpness.

--Darin>>

Darin (and anyone else who cares to respond!),

Would you mind elaborating a little more? I will want to use the 900 (or z4, etc.) to display the PC desktop; I already have a wireless keyboard, for example. Mostly, I will want to do a little gaming (some of the "Need for Speed" titles), and occasional surfing (AVS at 110", baby!).

Will the smoothscreen technology make such applications an unrealistic hope? Or, is text viewable (down to, say, 10 pts.) at 1X screen width (3 1/2 yards or so?), but just not as "sharp" relative to other LCD PJs?

TJN in Stereophile Guide to HT/Ultimate AV has often said that he believes that digital PJs "seem sharper" than, say, 9" CRT PJs, because of the pixel grid itself; i.e. our perception is swayed by the outlines of the fill spaces, esp. on horizontal and vertical lines (and, of course, text, etc.). Do you agree with this? And, if so, do you find it a "desirable" factor (e.g. it's not a bug, it's a feature!)?

Lastly, does the smoothscreen on the 900 merely "magnify" the center of the individual pixels to "stretch them in 2D," and therefore "fill in" the fill spaces/grid--yet NOT "step on" the adjacent pixels?

I guess one can't always have everything--e.g. no SDE AND good text legibility for PC apps. I'm trying to get a feel for whether the 900 will work for me, or if maybe the Z4 will be a better match considering all I want to do with the PJ. BTW: movies are, far and away, the primary reason for having a front projector in the first place, so, weigh that primary usage, if you don't mind responding. I am intrigued by the smoothscreen technology, and understand from some CEDIA posters (don't remember whom) that Panasonic "improved" the tech in the 900...e.g. perhaps responding to some consumer criticism about sharpness issues. I hope so. Yet, Jimmy and others have reported that that the 900 may look slightly softer than the 700. I'm slightly confused. (Or, maybe I should just chalk up such differences as a "wash," and just try to determine whether the 900 will work for me, oblivious to the 700 I will not be able to demo my purchase (in WV), before buying, so, I appreciate everyone's kind sharing of experiences!

Thanks,

willdao
post #367 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 08:14 AM
ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinTO View Post

If you can't see any improvement then there isn't any.

Disturbing how variable the reports are.... are they unit to unit variations, or simply viewers who don't know what they are looking for? Or are some of the initial no VB/FPN reports based on cherry picked/hand-tweaked units?

- JP

Good question. I wish one of the guys who says they cannot see any FPN lived near me. I would love to have a look.

I saw FPN on my AE700 before I read anything on these boards about FPN - so it's not something I just started to look for. It's very evident on sky scenes and somewhat noticeable on other scenes with a light background.

What I did learn on this board is that FPN differs from VB and what I'm seeing is likely FPN. My AE700 and now my AE900 didn't seem to suffer from VB. I never saw any improvement by disconnecting the power cord after turning off the machine. And I've seen no FPN improvement whatsoever going from the 700 to the 900. Quite dissappointing.

Is it possible that any of my cabling or other equipment could be causing the vertical streaking in sky scenes ?
post #368 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinTO View Post

For those who aren't seeing any VB or FPN on their new AE900, I'd be curious what would happen if they fired up an all green (then all yellow and light blue) screen using the projector's OSD (if it's available) or via a PC. Do you still see nothing but a crisp clean screen of color?

Yes, I've put up every primary and secondary color screen (with Avia Pro over HDMI), as well as just about every DVD scene that people have mentioned (fog scenes seem to be popular) and can detect no artifacts with my AE900. I have seen such artifacts with othe LCD projectors, so I do know what they look like. I saw a little bit of FPN with the M&C fog scene, but I had to put my nose up to the screen to see it. Also, I recentely adjusted flicker in the service menu and it's even better now.

Now, does this mean everyone that does see them is wrong? No, because I don't have their particular AE900, video source or eyes. Or, maybe I'm so used to DLP-related artifacts that I'm happy not seeing them.

My AE900 was just taken right out of a stock supply, so there's nothing special about it. I will be getting an Epson for review at the end of the month, so we'll see how that compares.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #369 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mike, I hope you will also be getting a Sanyo Z4 for review.
post #370 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 08:22 AM
jtv

Here's the illustration image demonstrating SmoothScreen from the ae900 brochure on Panasonic's web site. I leave it up to those who have observed in person to judge whether this accurately represents what you see on screen.

jtv
LL
post #371 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike, I hope you will also be getting a Sanyo Z4 for review.

I'm trying, but it's not looking good. I may try to tag on to Art's (of Projector Reviews). BTW, my AE900's not a review sample. It was actually purchased.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #372 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 08:26 AM
ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC View Post

Yes, I've put up every primary and secondary color screen (with Avia Pro over HDMI), as well as just about every DVD scene that people have mentioned (fog scenes seem to be popular) and can detect no artifacts with my AE900. I have seen such artifacts with othe LCD projectors, so I do know what they look like. I saw a little bit of FPN with the M&C fog scene, but I had to put my nose up to the screen to see it. Also, I recentely adjusted flicker in the service menu and it's even better now.

Now, does this mean everyone that does see them is wrong? No, because I don't have their particular AE900, video source or eyes. Or, maybe I'm so used to DLP-related artifacts that I'm happy not seeing them.

My AE900 was just taken right out of a stock supply, so there's nothing special about it. I will be getting an Epson for review at the end of the month, so we'll see how that compares.

I would love for you to try disk one of the series "Lost". I see very noticable FPN on every scene that pans across the blue sky - and there is a lot of those seens in "Lost". My wife sees it also but is much less annoyed by it than I am.
post #373 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtv View Post

Here's the illustration image demonstrating SmoothScreen from the ae900 brochure on Panasonic's web site. I leave it up to those who have observed in person to judge whether this accurately represents what you see on screen.

jtv

Well, the "after" picture does, but the "before" is obviously overstated. I don't have a problem with the sharpneess of the AE900. To me it follows the differences many experience between the H31 and 4805, where the 4805 has the sharper, "digital" look to it where the H31's more "movie-like". Both are very good, but satisfy different tastes.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #374 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post

I would love for you to try disk one of the series "Lost". I see very noticable FPN on every scene that pans across the blue sky - and there is a lot of those seens in "Lost". My wife sees it also but is much less annoyed by it than I am.

I'm afraid I don't have the Lost DVD, but have you seen issues with any other DVDs?

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #375 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 08:37 AM
ike

Quote:

I'm afraid I don't have the Lost DVD, but have you seen issues with any other DVDs?

All of our local video stores seem to have Lost, season 1 in stock now. If you ever get a chance, check it out. It's a great series, by the way.

I've seen some form of FPN on most of the DVD's I've rented lately but it's definitely more noticeable on Lost because of all the sky scenes. I can't think of any other specific scenes off the top of my head.

I wish I at least knew that what I'm seeing is normal - compared to other people's machines. I can live with it if the problem is that I'm just more sensitive to it. But if my projector is just worse, I'd like to exchange it.
post #376 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 08:47 AM

<<I just tried aspect ratio controll with 1280x720@60 input and it looks like it supports native and a horizontal stretching mode like you wanted for 4:3 material. I have no idea how well it works as I won't use it. Unfortunately, that is it and no stretching internally for anamorphic lenses with 720p input.

--Darin>>

Darin,

Sorry to "nickel andime you." I've read in the "Constant Height" forum that the Panny 700 was capable of stretching/squeezing...and, if I remember correctly, even at inputted resolutions above 480. Is my memory failing? Or, did Panasonic delete this so-desirable feature? (If so, it's curious; one assumes that the scaling chipset would not have had to change...)

Thanks, as ever.
post #377 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 08:57 AM

MikeSRC,

Just in case you haven't gotten enough positive feedback for your terrific efforts over the past few weeks: Thanks a bunch for your myriad posts, your quick replies to so many members about so many issues of particular concern to them, and for your obvious attempts both at objectivity, and consciously presenting your own possible biases (not necessarily the same thing, of course, so, doubly appreciated). A kudos to you, sir, thanks!

willdao

P.S. Thanks to ALL who've posted, of course. While I know that nothing can ever begin to replace one's own eyes (ears) in demoing equipment, a few of us unfortunately have to depend on the wise, informed experiences of others. I worked in the industry for years, so, it's more than "just" a hobby for me, and I would caution everyone that mere laziness is no excuse for failing to demo any AV equipment...while being several hundred miles from a retailer, unfortnately, is...thanks, all.
post #378 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 09:02 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Ok, fair enough. I guess my experiences with smooth screen and defocussing other PJ's are rather limited, and I admit the AE300 I had briefly was scaling a 480p image so maybe that is what caused the softness.

My point is that if you use an AE300/500/700/900 and don't like smooth screen even after doing your best to set up the projector, you can always try a pj that doesn't have smooth screen, and you can experiment with defocussing. Even without smooth-screen, you can still reduce screendoor if it really bothers you. It all depends on how far away you are sitting from the screen. My screen is only 92" diagonal right now and I sit about 1.75X screen width away. And lastly, alot of people aren't even bothered by screen door on the newer projectors which are 540p and 720p. I can understand the 480p projectors, as you see screen door unless defocussed, but if most people aren't bothered by screendoor with the 540p and 720p projectors, then don't think you must buy the Panasonic because of the smooth screen feature. In my view, and I wear glasses which give me 20/20 vision, screendoor isn't anything to panic about.

Now, a question about vertical banding:

How many people have so far seen vertical banding on their AE900 enough that it bothers them?
post #379 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 09:03 AM
ike

I've attached a screen capture from Disk 1 of the first Season of the series Lost.

I can see it in this screen capture although, it looks worse on-screen, especially as the camera pans...

Can you guys see it in this photo ??
LL
post #380 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I would also like to thank Mike for his efforts and information on the AE900.
post #381 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Darin,

Sorry to "nickel andime you." I've read in the "Constant Height" forum that the Panny 700 was capable of stretching/squeezing...and, if I remember correctly, even at inputted resolutions above 480. Is my memory failing? Or, did Panasonic delete this so-desirable feature? (If so, it's curious; one assumes that the scaling chipset would not have had to change...)

Thanks, as ever.[/quote]

Not Darin but I know the answer . The 700 can ONLY stretch 480 material. Not 720 or 1080. That's the limitation I was hoping the 900 would overcome, and apparently can't.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #382 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 09:27 AM

Yep. Plain as day. You jerk, now I'll never be able to "not" see it

This is "vertical banding, right?" Not "fixed panel noise?" Or, that's my individual understanding...There seems to be some lingering confusion over the terms VB and FPN, not least in my own brain! ( Help!)

BTW, not only was I truly kidding, in the first line above, but I think it is entirely proper for every AVS aficionado to not only educate himself/herself about such issues, but to demand of the manufacturers that they address such issues.

"The good is the enemy of the great," as ever, and AVS members keep the manufacturers on their toes, as it should be, and also help to ensure generational technical advances that "internally captured" engineeers might not otherwise be able to get past the bean-counters above them. In a sense, we help to ENSURE highly-evolving competition. Thusly, I'm proud to be a member of this forum, and hope to watch it grow, and grow, even beyond it's current (impressive) expansion rate.

BTW, for new members: I've mostly lurked for over 18 months, getting a feel for the place/space, without posting a lot. One of the things I'm particularly impressed about is the overall caliber of knowledge, especially among the senior members. One finds, for example, engineeers and designers (both within and without the CEA), marketing and sales professionals (ditto, as with me, currently, although I'd love to find a job back in this field, PM if you're recruiting, and I'll put my MBA enthusiastically to work for you!), and dedicated hobbyists with an EXTRAORDINARY level of technical knowledge/competence...not to mention the unfortunate ability to recognize--and the more unfortunate wont to publicize!--the vertical streaks you see in the .jpg...(grin!)

Thanks! What a great resource this community is!

(Yes, dammit, I'm having a great day, this holiday, so, take my enthusiasm while you can get it, I'll probably be cranky tomorrow!)

willdao
post #383 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 09:38 AM

Thanks, you madpoet, ya.

Darnit.

What about the Sanyo? Do ya happen to know? (Or must I wade through 300 posts? I'm fundamentally lazy on holidays, dontcha know! )

I guess, while I'm at it, I might as well ask whether the Epson will do it. And/or, what the cheapest solution is?

(Thanks, Poet. I respect you both, of course, as do we all.)

willdao
post #384 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Re the SDE, I can see pixel structure if I look closely, but I assume that's from my laptop. I don't think I see the FPN, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I think I can see some slightly lighter blue vertical strips, not sure. If that's it, are you sure its not in the source?

Edit: my SDE comment above was in response to someone's post just above that they could see SDE in that screen shot.. that post seems to have disappeared

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
post #385 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 09:56 AM

I can't really see how you can see SDE from that image. The Vertical Banding is as clear as anything, and i quite a common factor on my soon to be replaced AE500. But...at the end of the day, its no diabolical and overpowering. Its there, but not something that would bother me too much.

Chris
post #386 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post

I've attached a screen capture from Disk 1 of the first Season of the series Lost.

I can see it in this screen capture although, it looks worse on-screen, especially as the camera pans...

Can you guys see it in this photo ??

I see some faint VB to the left of the person standing. My monitor's not big enough to discern anything else.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #387 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I can understand you frustration with VB. Has anyone tried to tweak it out after leaving the proj. on for about an hour? If you have had success please post on the tweak thread. I do believe that Panasonic claims VB can be eliminated with this Proj. I also believe that some Projectors have shipped with little VB. I wonder if it is a quality control problem since not everyone has it. I also wonder if some of us are being too critical. We must rember that no projector is perfect. For the price this projector seems great. Saying this I know I would be bothered by heavy VB. I would love to see the results from a HD football game.
post #388 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 10:22 AM
ike

Quote:

I see some faint VB to the left of the person standing. My monitor's not big enough to discern anything else.

We'll - I guess I'm glad you guys can see it in that picture - and I'm not going nutz !

I would've thought by now that there would be a clear definition of VB vs. FPN. I used to think this was VB but after reading a lot of post around here, I thought it was FPN. The streaks are not totally uniform and are only apparent in light backgrounds. I thought this was a description of FPN.

BEFORE I took that screenshot, I did the flicker tweak both by looking at the screen and then using the paper trick. It made no noticeable difference. I've also messed around in the Panel menu but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing in there and saw no before/after differences.

It would be nice to speak with a Panasonic expert about this...
post #389 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 10:26 AM
ike

Quote:

I can understand you frustration with VB. Has anyone tried to tweak it out after leaving the proj. on for about an hour? If you have had success please post on the tweak thread. I do believe that Panasonic claims VB can be eliminated with this Proj. I also believe that some Projectors have shipped with little VB. I wonder if it is a quality control problem since not everyone has it. I also wonder if some of us are being too critical. We must rember that no projector is perfect. For the price this projector seems great. Saying this I know I would be bothered by heavy VB. I would love to see the results from a HD football game.

Since I've seen the EXACT same thing with both my AE700 and now my AE900, I wonder if a VB/FPN-free Panasonic projector exists OR am I just able to see it where others can't ??

My projector was on for well over an hour and I did the flicker tweak with no noticeable improvement.

I would be THRILLED to say the least if someone could tell me how to "tweak" this vertical streaking out of the picture. It is my only criticism of this projector. It otherwise has a fabulous, stunning picture and a noticeable improvement over the AE700.
post #390 of 6453 Old 10-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I also believe that some Projectors have shipped with little VB. I wonder if it is a quality control problem since not everyone has it.

I certainly hope this isn't the case, where I suspect some 900s as actual tweaked 700s that went on surplus...and leaving some VB issues behind.

I will hold out for a week or so, regardless of, until Ewan posts his comparison tests and Darin further examines this unit on his operating table...I mean home theater room.

That lack of vertical stretch @ 720 is quite dissapointing indeed, as I am considering a CH setup.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae900u Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page