post #451 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 06:58 AM
ike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphus View Post

Ike (or anyone): is the aliminium frame on the Perm-Wall solid enough, that if i can't find anywhere on a wall to mount it, which i probably can't, that i would be able to screw in a few metal supports (Legs of some sort) and have it mounted on them. IE: Is the frame flimsy and likley to bend at all if i do this?

Thanks

The aluminum frame with the Da Lite Perm Wall screen is not solid in every direction - meaning, it's very easy to get itself out of square. The wall you attach it to plays a large role in squaring up the frame. If it wasn't firmly attached to the wall, I think even with the screen snapped in place, the frame would sag and distort the screen material - especially the HCCV material which is very "stretchy".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 08:38 AM

I am setting up my first time HT. I'm thinking about getting the AE900. My first choice for mounting it is on a shelf 25' from a 10' wide wall. This is a basement light controlled room. I'll probably paint a screen (DIY LF). From the 25' distance, the smallest image calculates out to just over 9'x5' or 124 diag. I've seen some post here with people talking about 130 who are evidently getting good results. I've also heard that any thing over 120 and picture quality falls off fast. I'd be interested in any opinions about optimum picture size.

Thanks
post #453 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 09:19 AM

I noticed this forum metioned the Toshiba MT700. I just bought one a few months ago and am noticing a shadow effect on the left side of the image. When I use the zoom feature on the lens it still stays on the image. If I reduce the ratio size then it is gone. Any Ideas? Thanks!
post #454 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by togi View Post

I am setting up my first time HT. I'm thinking about getting the AE900. My first choice for mounting it is on a shelf 25' from a 10' wide wall. This is a basement light controlled room. I'll probably paint a screen (DIY LF). From the 25' distance, the smallest image calculates out to just over 9'x5' or 124 diag. I've seen some post here with people talking about 130 who are evidently getting good results. I've also heard that any thing over 120 and picture quality falls off fast. I'd be interested in any opinions about optimum picture size.

Thanks

OK My room is 26' x 18' x9' but I am able to go to about 23.5' with a custom soffit I am creating for the projector. I am going with a 1.4 gain screen. My diagonal will be 116" for 16:9 though the actual screen is a 146" 2.35:1. I may be going with the Z4 but it's about the same. The great thing about the painted screen is that you can always go a bit smaller if you wanted later which could be important at this size as the bulb dims over time. You also have the option of starting in eco lamp mode and moving to high lamp later on as well. Make sure to get a fairly high gain paint.

It also depends on the room wall treatment. Is it going to be black, at least dark or white? Having a dark room is so important to realizing the contrast improvements on this year's models.

You may also want to take a look at the Sanyo Z4. Ekkehart aka Cine4Home has a great review on his site of the Z4 and mentions how well that projector translates to larger screens with the manual iris adjustments. Just a thought.
post #455 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalfire View Post

I noticed this forum metioned the Toshiba MT700. I just bought one a few months ago and am noticing a shadow effect on the left side of the image. When I use the zoom feature on the lens it still stays on the image. If I reduce the ratio size then it is gone. Any Ideas? Thanks!

You might try starting your own thread on this in the Under 3500 forum since this is off-topic
post #456 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk View Post

The great thing about the painted screen is that you can always go a bit smaller if you wanted later which could be important at this size as the bulb dims over time.

That's the rub. At 25' I can't go smaller because I'd be at the limit of the zoom.
post #457 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermmd View Post

On the front of the projector is a joystick that can be used easily to move the image. It locks and unlocks by screwing it down.

Thanks Joe, I know it uses a joystick, but I'm curious about how the joystick works. Is it like a video game controller thumb stick that moves around in any direction? And is it analog in that the farther from center you move it the faster the lens shift moves? Would it be easy to move the image up exactly 3 inches or would it take 5 minutes of back and forth to get the image positioned where you want it?
post #458 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 12:05 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Oriphus,

HDMI upscaling? Thats cool. What is the de-interlacer in that one? My system is ok. I sold my iScan HD because I couldn't justify it for now. Tried DVI but my cheap cable eventually did the sparklies...so boo hoo, back to VGA but frankly I didn't notice much difference. I'm using an iScan Ultra with my Hitachi TX100. Sent it back because it was faulty, as it had bad vertical banding and one particularly bad vertical band which stuck out more than the others. Apparantly I'm getting a brand new replacement. I await its arrival. I'll probably upgrade though. I would consider an AE900 but I'm likely going for a TX200.

I wonder if the AE900 will remain the contrast/black level king for the money? This is their second generation with dynamic iris, so I am wondering. Especially with the frame by frame gamma correction. I wonder how all the other projectors like the TX200/Z4/Epson projectors will compare.

post #459 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Anyone found an online manual for the 900 yet?

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #460 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Anyone else thinkng about taking the plunge and purchasing overseas? I'm not going to violate my own forum rules, just curious. It's a gamble, but my AE500 was great. Other than the Japanese OSD of course

post #461 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't found the manual online yet, but I can tell you that there's probably less than 2% of it that's different from the AE700 manual (and most of that has to do with the new remote).

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #462 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Mike. I swear, if only they had added the stretch modes to 720 and 1080 signals like Sanyo did.

post #463 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes I am quite tempted....Just how bad is dealing with the Japanese OSD? I could easily buy 2 overseas and still have enough coin left over for a McDonald's dinner here in Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Anyone else thinkng about taking the plunge and purchasing overseas? I'm not going to violate my own forum rules, just curious. It's a gamble, but my AE500 was great. Other than the Japanese OSD of course

Other areas of interest

http://my.T-Nation.com/scotty144

ClubWrx.net Scotty144
post #464 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

Thanks Mike. I swear, if only they had added the stretch modes to 720 and 1080 signals like Sanyo did.

I saw a review (I believe it was CKL's) of the Z4 where they layed out the stretch modes and I didn't see any that would work with an anamorphic lens with 720p or 1080i input. The only one that I thought came close stretched horizontally at the same time as it stretched vertically.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #465 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Also, considering that this unit is above others, in terms of lack of sde at close range, they should have really thought of adding that 720p/1080i stretch mode to complement CH setups and larger sreens. I thought that was a crucial mistake...but again the price...
post #466 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 03:39 PM

Quote:

I just got my AE900. Had not had time to deal with it yet, but I on the menu it does have several choices for different languages. I of course chose English. But from that I guess the models selling overseas would have the same multiple-language menu.

River
post #467 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverplace View Post

I just got my AE900. Had not had time to deal with it yet, but I on the menu it does have several choices for different languages. I of course chose English. But from that I guess the models selling overseas would have the same multiple-language menu.

From what I understand, the units from overseas (Japan) have the English OSD locked out on their firmware to disuade people like myself from wanting to import them. My first projector, an AE300, I imported and had no issues with selecting the English OSD.

Other areas of interest

http://my.T-Nation.com/scotty144

ClubWrx.net Scotty144
post #468 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 03:58 PM

It makes sense.

I was in Tokyo 3 weeks ago and saw the AE700 in Akihabara selling for 1/2 what I need to pay here in the US. Very tempting but didn't get it because the OSD lauguage issue (plus the AE900 was starting to ship)

River
post #469 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 04:03 PM

Madpoet, A friend of mine bought a Z3 overseas from Japan. Shipped in 2 days, he's had it for a year with no issues. It does have an English OSD but I know the Pannys have Japanese only OSDs. I myself will more than likely buy it from Japan. They cost twice us much up here in Canada.

Seb
post #470 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post

The aluminum frame with the Da Lite Perm Wall screen is not solid in every direction - meaning, it's very easy to get itself out of square. The wall you attach it to plays a large role in squaring up the frame. If it wasn't firmly attached to the wall, I think even with the screen snapped in place, the frame would sag and distort the screen material - especially the HCCV material which is very "stretchy".

Thanks Ike, thats gonna be a concern to me now. I wonder if any of the manufacturers have a set of legs for their fixed screens. I know that Stewarts do one for their fixed screen, which i believe is excellent (especially the Firehawk and Studiotek 130), but do Da-Lite, Carada or Draper have any equivalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

HDMI upscaling? Thats cool. What is the de-interlacer in that one? My system is ok. I sold my iScan HD because I couldn't justify it for now. Tried DVI but my cheap cable eventually did the sparklies

Yeah, the HDMI Upscaling is supposed to be truely great on this machine. As is the DVD-A and SACD full playback at a very high quality. Im not sure what the de-interlacer chip is, but i believe it has a 216MHz/12-bit video DAC which apparently gives awesome images. Speaking from experience, the image does look 100% quality. I only wonder what the 216MHz/14-bit video DAC on the DV9600 offers in picture quality thats better than this?

Chris
post #471 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjohnst View Post

...can you tell me how the project would handle, if it can at all, the following situations on an upscaling DVD player?

1. 4:3 content - When played through an upscaling player, it stretches it to fill the whole 16:9 panel and everyone is short and fat. Is there a way to make it 4:3 again?

2. Letterbox DVDs - When played through a upscaling player, again, it stretches it to fill the 16:9 panel which makes everyone EXTREMELY short and fat. What is needed here is not just 4:3 but a 4:3 ZOOM. This is available on 480p.

Since this was posted there's been some discussion about modes for constant height setups (I think -- I'm pretty new to projectors), but I don't think anyone ever answered these questions for sure. I'd be very interested to know, if any 900 owners can shed some light on the subject. My current widescreen Samsung CRT HDTV "locks" the aspect ratio to Wide on anything 480p or higher and it's REALLY annoying. When you want to watch a 4:3 or non-anamorphic DVD, it just streches it to the full width of the screen and there's nothing you can do.

So does the 900 ever lock you into an aspect ratio/picture mode? It would be nice if it never did (for upconverting players outputting 720p/1080i), but if you can at least control the aspect ratio on 480p I would be happy.
post #472 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
hi....does it have a "Full" option, letting you stretch 4:3 material on a 16:9 screen? Toshiba does this very well.
post #473 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post

hi....does it have a "Full" option, letting you stretch 4:3 material on a 16:9 screen? Toshiba does this very well.

You've asked this question enough times. Anyone care to address it?

If not, maybe Toshiba is the way to go you.
post #474 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC View Post

You've asked this question enough times. Anyone care to address it?

If not, maybe Toshiba is the way to go you.

Yup, isamu has - so here is a qualified answer.

The 700 has a JUST mode which *does* horizontally stretch 4:3 source to fill the 16:9 display so I would be surprised if the 900 does not.

Don't all modern displays do this?
Now to be a pain in the tush (part of my resume):

Yuck.
Why?
OAR is the truth.

ted
post #475 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJohnson View Post

Actually they did claim that at CEDIA - it was posted on the ae900 pre-release thread somewhere by someone who spoke to a Panasonic engineer at the exhibition.

Liam

(RE: VB improvements in 900)

That's good to know. I'll be interested to hear how well they managed from 900 owners who have had, or are familiar with, the 700's VB. My 700 seems to have much less of a regular VB problem than many other folks, although it has the same problem with gruesome VB if left in "standby mode" (AC not cut off from the unit) that so many have complained of.

KongFan
post #476 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 09:14 PM

Liked: 12
The Panny keeps the aspect ratio it is fed by default. In other words, 4:3 is presented at 4:3 with grey bars on each side, 16:9 is full screen, and 2.35:1 movies have bars above and below the picture. The Panny can also be set to stretch the images to fill the screen. This does distort or crop the picture though so I don't recommend it. I have not actually attempted stretching the picture on my projector and I likely will not in the future.

Joe M.
post #477 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmv50 View Post

I got an AE900 last thursday and got it set up and noticed a one thing that is starting to annoy me. I have a 92" diagonal matte white Da-lite screen(1.0 gain). The projector is mounted on a high shelf about 14 feet from the screen. My problem is the is a green spot about 10" diameter center at 25" from the right side and 11" from the bottom. This can only be seen in black or near black scenes but it's always there. Anyone see this?

Robert

My 700 has two such spots, both of which are green, but much smaller than yours (2 1/2"). Mine are clearly dust specks, presumably on one of the dichroic mirrors. This is a little hard to explain, but the color system works by combining all colors to create black, and so a speck on, say, the "red" dichroic mirror blocks that portion of the color spectrum, and green is what passes through where it would otherwise be black (OK, dark gray!). If you have this problem, still-frame a revealing shot, and substantially defocus your image until you've thrown your LCDs way out of focus and brought the plane of the (alledged) speck into focus. If you have the same thing as I do, you'll see the faint green disc narrow into focus until it's a blazing, well-defined speck of dust. Your particular throw distance may prevent you from bringing it perfectly into focus. You'll see zillions of others, in all three colors, but only the largest "supernovas" among them create a speck bright enough to be visibly bright when enlarged and thrown so far out of focus while the lens is focused on the LCD plane.

Make sense? Even a person not experiencing this problem can get quite a jolt by bringing the mirrors into focus and seeing how much crap accumulates on them.

No matter what you've got going on, it sounds like you shouldn't have to live with it, considering you just got the damn thing out of the box. I managed to get the inside poop on how to remove these specks relatively safely, and just haven't gotten around to opening my 700 (and swiftly voiding my warranty). If I were you, though, and you find your problem to be as I've described, I'd just demand another unit ASAP.

Good luck

KongFan
post #478 of 6453 Old 10-12-2005, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

As good as my current Panny AE700 is, I'm hoping the AE900 does fix one annoying problem.

Vertical banding is practically nill, VERY faint. My problem is whenever the camera pans around, the image becomes noisy. Almost as if my screen is dirty and needs a good wash. I have no waves on my tensioned screen, besides waves are not my issue. It's only when the camera pans (regardless of whether I'm watching HD from my HDMI-out DVR cable box, or HDMI-out from my upsampling DVD player).

This "dirty-screen" effect whenever the camera pans is what has me wondering. Does the AE900 fix this problem?

p.s. it's not screen door, or vertical banding. Is this called motion dithering?
post #479 of 6453 Old 10-13-2005, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello together...

We got lots of emails, if and when we start testing the PT900...
We are starting our PT-AE900 tests today... ;-)
I am as curious how the machine performs as you are.

Regards,
Ekkehart, www.cine4home.de
post #480 of 6453 Old 10-13-2005, 03:14 AM

Its probably worth mentioning that not all VB is projector related as Ike can contend to. If you are getting some VB on the PT-AE900, be sure to check it against a blank wall or something else to confirm it is not your screen before posting that it still has a VB issue in this latest model, which panasonic have said has been completed iradicated...

Chris
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae900u Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page