Panny AE900 Official Thread- Please post here! - Page 215 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6421 of 6453 Old 09-21-2011, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my Harmony 880 died recently. I recall when I bought my AE900 that people often said the remote for the AE900 worked pretty well as a universal. I'm looking through the manual for the AE900 and can't find anything about programming the remote, the codes for it, etc. Can anyone here point me in the right direction? I'm looking to program a THX1015, Comcast HD DVR, Oppo DVD player, and monoprice HDMI switcher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6422 of 6453 Old 09-21-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Hammer View Post

So my Harmony 880 died recently. I recall when I bought my AE900 that people often said the remote for the AE900 worked pretty well as a universal. I'm looking through the manual for the AE900 and can't find anything about programming the remote, the codes for it, etc. Can anyone here point me in the right direction? I'm looking to program a THX1015, Comcast HD DVR, Oppo DVD player, and monoprice HDMI switcher.

I don't remember this about the remote...It is backlit though.

When is the last time you got a remote/HDDVR Box from cable company. My older cable box died and the new box was the same but the remote was an upgrade. It knew many more codes than the old one...and was backlit! I use it when the batteries need recharging about every couple months for my Harmony...
post #6423 of 6453 Old 09-22-2011, 07:04 AM

PH:

What you're looking for is the separate "Remote Control Operating Guide", Panasonic publication number TQBJ 0187, which can be found here: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/panasoni...900URemote.pdf

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Ross
post #6424 of 6453 Old 10-30-2011, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
just di the lamp reset trick so i think i have 5000 hours on the lamp.

Where is good place to get a replacement Advanced, Apex or pureland? or somewhere else?
post #6425 of 6453 Old 10-31-2011, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artyusmce View Post

just di the lamp reset trick so i think i have 5000 hours on the lamp.

Where is good place to get a replacement Advanced, Apex or pureland? or somewhere else?

I've had good results with Ebay. You can save $50 or more, but don't get the chinese crap though. Only OEM.

Evil is Good
post #6426 of 6453 Old 10-31-2011, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

I've had good results with Ebay. You can save $50 or more, but don't get the chinese crap though. Only OEM.

heard that
post #6427 of 6453 Old 04-26-2012, 03:05 PM

I just ordered a new Panasonic replacement lamp for 92 bucks shipped from Ama***.com. It amazes me the deals you can find these days. I haven't used my ae900 in a year due to not wanting to spend the $250.00 as I figured I would be better off buying a new projector at that point. Time to dust it off and watch some movies. I think watching the big screen again may push me towards buying a new PJ or perhaps the old ae900 will still be good enough.
post #6428 of 6453 Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 PM

My AE900 is still going on the original bulb. Best price for a bulb on Amazon.ca (Canada) is $185.00
post #6429 of 6453 Old 04-26-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Well I think its safe to assume that's not gonna be a Panasonic OEM part at $90 bones....but you know, its still a lot cheaper than even a $500 or $600 new one from Optima, etc.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #6430 of 6453 Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 AM

Hi all, I hope somebody can help.

My Panasonic AE900 turned itself off mid-operation last night. The "LAMP" LED lit up solid red so I turned it off at the back and left it overnight to cool down.

This morning I tried to turn it on but without any luck. the "LAMP" LED isn't lit any more and the "POWER" LED goes green but nothing happens.

I inspected the bulb (I'm no expert but it looks fine) and reseated it but this hasn't made any difference.

Please help!

Joey
post #6431 of 6453 Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 113
It's often the missing details that tell the tale. Solid red means the bulb needs replacement. How many hours on the bulb? Is this a new bulb or replacement? If a replacement was the bulb OEM or a clone. Are you the original owner or did you buy this used?
Joey74 likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6432 of 6453 Old 08-13-2012, 07:09 AM

Hi Mr G. The solid red light came on when I first lost the picture but it doesn't come on when I turn the projector on now, so I'm confused about that. The bulb had clocked up between 2000-3000 hrs I think - it was the one that came with the projector when I bought it brand new six years ago.
post #6433 of 6453 Old 08-13-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

My guess is that it needs a lamp replacement. Try unplugging the power and leaving it like that all day and plugging it back in this evening. If it does come on quickly check the Menu - Option - Lamp Runtime to check your hours.

And it could be that the lamp has just failed.

post #6434 of 6453 Old 11-23-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Mine lives!
https://twitter.com/Navesink/status/271701135704858624/photo/1

After being boxed up for 2 years during the sale of my old home, building the new one and getting the "family room" set up on first floor I can now get cooking on finishing my 'real' Home Theater in the basement.

Didn't know a 7 year old 720p PJ could look this good on a bare wall! Can't wait till I get a screen and an 8000u or something similar down there, but this will tide me over while I focus on getting a receiver and 5.1 setup plus the couches down there.

Can't believe how easy it was ti install the peerless mount, that was the part that worried me the most. One question tho, my dad helped me and we decided to simply put in 4 100lb drywall anchors although the manual seemed to suggest going direct into a stud. Thoughts on that? Should we have put it more off center and into the stud and used the lens compensation or is directly into the drywall with heavy duty anchors going to be good enough?

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #6435 of 6453 Old 11-23-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

One question tho, my dad helped me and we decided to simply put in 4 100lb drywall anchors although the manual seemed to suggest going direct into a stud. Thoughts on that? Should we have put it more off center and into the stud and used the lens compensation or is directly into the drywall with heavy duty anchors going to be good enough?

The AE900U weighs 7.3 pounds. Unless you're planning on doing chin-ups off of the projector it's certainly more than enough support. I'm assuming you're talking about 1/2" or thicker drywall and the Twist and Lock or Toggle Lock type anchors. The 100 pound rating is the shear rating for a wall installation. When selecting anchors, you may see two strength ratings - pull and shear. Pull strength refers to how many pounds of force it takes to pull the anchor out of the hole. The shear strength refers to the maximum weight the anchor can handle before the bolts shears off at the wall. With heavier projectors like the AR100U (19+ lbs.) this would be an iffier deal.

post #6436 of 6453 Old 11-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

This is what we used:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202527091/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=triple+grip&storeId=10051#.ULBcm4fAdJI

I''m over 350 pounds, I'm not doing chinups off anything, least of all on a PJ. =)

It's standard ceiling drywall, not sure what thickness.

Sam Posten
post #6437 of 6453 Old 11-24-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

This is what we used:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202527091/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=triple+grip&storeId=10051#.ULBcm4fAdJI

I''m over 350 pounds, I'm not doing chinups off anything, least of all on a PJ. =)

It's standard ceiling drywall, not sure what thickness.

If you visit the Cobra website you will see the technical specs for this anchor and you are well within the pull limits even with 3/8" drywall.

post #6438 of 6453 Old 11-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks. In another thread it was recommended that we simply anchor a small board into the studs, paint that to match the ceiling and attach the mount to that to cut down on vibrations. Will see how this performs as is, might make that change in the future if we need to.

Sam Posten
post #6439 of 6453 Old 12-16-2012, 08:34 PM

Hey guys dumb question but, I had some issues with fans in my AE900u. I didn't pay attention when I removed them so now I'm clueless as to which direction they need to be in when I reinstall them. The exhaust fan on the front left of the projector I assume needs to push air out the vent on the front but the fan located behind the PSU (80mm) in the front center of the projector I'm not sure about. Can anyone help? Should it push air to the front or push air to the back?

Thanks in advance.
post #6440 of 6453 Old 12-17-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post

Hey guys dumb question but, I had some issues with fans in my AE900u. I didn't pay attention when I removed them so now I'm clueless as to which direction they need to be in when I reinstall them. The exhaust fan on the front left of the projector I assume needs to push air out the vent on the front but the fan located behind the PSU (80mm) in the front center of the projector I'm not sure about. Can anyone help? Should it push air to the front or push air to the back?
Thanks in advance.

The general rule of thumb for computer fans is that the open side of the fan draws air in.

The reverse side which usually has 4 plastic arms that hold the blades/motor in place, on that side the air flows out.

So you always point the arms of the fan in the direction you want the air to flow.

That said, from looking at the schematics of the repair manual you can see that fan #7 (power fan) is pulling air out.

And fan #8 (ventilation fan) is pushing air in.

If you don't have the repair manual send me a PM and I will email you a copy.

post #6441 of 6453 Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 AM

I understand the direction the fan moves air, I have the service manual but I don't understand Panasonics drawings though because installing the fan #8 as shown doesn't agree with the markings on the vents in front of Fan #8 on the actual projector which are labelled "WARNING: Very Hot Air Dispensed" which would mean its an exhaust vent not an intake which disagrees with the service manual fan orientation. Further support of this theory is that the vent is not filtered but the intake side on the right rear of the projector is filtered. Why would they not filter the intake and allow the fan to blow dirt particles on the bulb but filter the other intake. Also if both vents are intakes where does the air exit the chassis.

Maybe I've got this wrong but I don't think so, but it is why I'm unsure which orientation fan #7 should be in, is it as per the manual or not. I'm grateful for your help, it just seems counter intuitive to have two large fans pushing air in and one small fan pulling all that hot air across the PSU...
post #6442 of 6453 Old 12-17-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post

I understand the direction the fan moves air, I have the service manual but I don't understand Panasonics drawings though because installing the fan #8 as shown doesn't agree with the markings on the vents in front of Fan #8 on the actual projector which are labelled "WARNING: Very Hot Air Dispensed" which would mean its an exhaust vent not an intake which disagrees with the service manual fan orientation. Further support of this theory is that the vent is not filtered but the intake side on the right rear of the projector is filtered. Why would they not filter the intake and allow the fan to blow dirt particles on the bulb but filter the other intake. Also if both vents are intakes where does the air exit the chassis.
Maybe I've got this wrong but I don't think so, but it is why I'm unsure which orientation fan #7 should be in, is it as per the manual or not. I'm grateful for your help, it just seems counter intuitive to have two large fans pushing air in and one small fan pulling all that hot air across the PSU...

Actually it seems like you've answered your own question but I can understand you wanting someone to confirm your conclusions. You can wait to hear from someone here who has opened up their 900 to work on it (which I haven't) or you may also want to consider contacting Panasonic tech support.

http://www.panasonic.com/business-solutions/contact-projectors-support.asp

Or even call the Panasonic Repair Center (Heartland)

Panasonic National Service Center
14206 Overbrook Road
Leawood, KS 66224
913-685-8855 (Projector Administration / Support)

Sorry I couldn't help more.

post #6443 of 6453 Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Well whether I've got it right or not, I very much appreciate your willingness to help.

Thanks!
post #6444 of 6453 Old 08-25-2013, 06:52 AM

Greets, hope someone can help me out with this problem I have just started experiencing. I have 2250 hours on the original bulb, have been using it on low light power the whole time. I was using the projector last night when all of a sudden the lamp went dark. The unit did not shut off, the lamp just went dark, the power light was still green, no other indication lights were on, the power light stayed green as if it was operating normally but obviously it was not since there was no light coming out of the bulb. It just sat there as if it was working but it wasn't. The unit didn't go into full shut down procedure like when you turn it off and the fan runs for two minutes.

I flicked off the master switch on the back and turned off power to the unit from my power strip. Opened it up, cleaned filter and pulled out the bulb, looked fine to me. Stuck it all back together. Powered it up but after about an hour the bulb light shut off again by itself with again the power light staying green with no other heat or bulb indication lights coming on.

This time I didn't take the unit apart again as I had just done that but waited a little while, turned it back on after cycling the master switch and the power strip. Bulb WILL come on every time I try it, but then shuts itself off again from anywhere between 1 minute to 5 minutes. There are no heat or bulb indication lights coming on so I don't know if the problem is the bulb or the unit itself. During one of my turn-on attempts, I switched the bulb level to high from low, but that proved ineffective as the bulb just turned itself off again after a couple of minutes. Again, power light stayed green, with no other indications lights. Didn't go into full shut down mode again.

Can anyone venture a well-educated guess or previously experience with me? Do you think it's the bulb being faulty or the projector itself is faulty kicking the bulb off? Like I said, the bulb is working every time I turn the projector on. But the bulb will shut off after a few minutes while the projector is still on and acting like all is fine. If the bulb is bad, wouldn't the bulb just not work AT ALL? I don't want to spend $400 on a new bulb if the problem is actually the projector. How likely is that though?

Thanks for any thoughts. I live in the Philippines so getting parts and/or a new high-end projector is very very difficult. Grrrrr.....
post #6445 of 6453 Old 08-25-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried resetting the lamp counter to zero while the unit is projecting a picture?

post #6446 of 6453 Old 08-25-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Have you tried resetting the lamp counter to zero while the unit is projecting a picture?

Thanks for your suggestion. I just went ahead and did that. Let's see what happens. The hours on the OSD were shown in red even though it was only 2250 and the owner's manual states that the projector will go to automatic standby mode after approx 10 minutes if the hours have passed 3000. Not quite what I was experiencing but who knows... will report back either way
post #6447 of 6453 Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxoxo View Post

Thanks for your suggestion. I just went ahead and did that. Let's see what happens. The hours on the OSD were shown in red even though it was only 2250 and the owner's manual states that the projector will go to automatic standby mode after approx 10 minutes if the hours have passed 3000. Not quite what I was experiencing but who knows... will report back either way

Well, experiment was a fail. Projector bulb flicked off again by itself exactly as I have described. Resetting the counter had zero effect. Am really wondering now if it is the unit itself since the bulb seems to be working fine until < something > is making it flick off....
post #6448 of 6453 Old 11-22-2013, 06:29 AM

Just posting for the first time and to say thanks for some very useful info on shutting off the noisy iris.

Unfortunately, it seems I may need a new power supply as it shuts off occasionally, but comes back when I wiggle the cord at the back of the unit.  This is probably due to the fact that I have it mounted on an articulated arm which lets me hide it in the ceiling when not in use.  Each time it goes up and down, it probably weakens the connections.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

post #6449 of 6453 Old 11-22-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddySki View Post

Just posting for the first time and to say thanks for some very useful info on shutting off the noisy iris.

Unfortunately, it seems I may need a new power supply as it shuts off occasionally, but comes back when I wiggle the cord at the back of the unit.  This is probably due to the fact that I have it mounted on an articulated arm which lets me hide it in the ceiling when not in use.  Each time it goes up and down, it probably weakens the connections.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If you have a copy of the service manual for the AE900 you will see that the power is probably routed through the K-P.C board before reaching the power supply. I'm not an expert here since I've never opened my AE900 projector.

So your options are to get an estimate for repair, if you're handy with electronic repair obtain the K-P.C board and try the replacement yourself or upgrade to a new projector.

Here's a related link:

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/83394/Where+can+I+find+a+repair-service+guide+for+a+Panasonic+projector

If you don't have the manual send me a PM and I will email it to you.

BigDaddySki likes this.

post #6450 of 6453 Old 11-22-2013, 08:10 AM

^Thanks Mr. G...  that makes a lot of sense.  Doubtful it's the power supply.  I'll probably take it in for service, but only problem, it's in our rental cabin, so I need a projector. 

Looking at the Epson 2030 at Best Buy... seems like a pretty nice upgrade.  I'll do some research here, but any thoughts anyone?  Thx

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae900u Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page