Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 6453 Old 11-19-2005, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan2005 View Post

I received my AE900 on Friday! Here are my opinions / observations, based on being a first time projector owner:

Initial setup: I set the Lamp Mode to low (high is barely brighter so I don't see the need to waste bulb life). I also set the Fan to High (since I am above Panasonic's suggested elevation to switch to high). The fan is very quiet! Low was nearly inaudible unless I put my head right to the unit. It was a little louder in High mode, but still much less than some people are suggesting. No fan whining either.

Picture quality: Awesome!!! Cinema 1 seemed to be the best preset for me, but I tweaked it a bit with an AVIA disk and made the contrast/black levels a bit better. I saw no hint of VB, no noticeable dead or stuck pixels (although I haven't gone searching for them), and no SDE until I got right up on the screen.

Screen commentary: I'm projecting onto a 106" Greywolf, and for the money, it's great! The texture of the screen is noticeable during really bright scenes, but it's livable considering how well it does in ambient light. I can have the room bright and still have a pleasing picture.

Issues: Edge enhancement was an issue on a DVD or two. However, I'm also using a 5 year old DVD player over component. I have an Oppo on order and it should arrive on Monday, so I'll report back if the Oppo and HDMI cable make a difference. Currently, the edge enhancement is most noticeable around white letters. Quality DVDs, such as SW AOTC, showed little to no edge enhancement problems.

Major Problems: None, except my friends may never leave...

Summary: Wow! Amazing! Awesome! Can you tell I'm happy with it? It's one of the best purchases I have made in a long time and have no regrets.

Alan

Nice to hear such fun! More, more, encore, encore!

In talking about the Greywolf with bright scenes: seems like "glass bead is glass bead"--i.e. the prob's I knew about them, many years ago, still exist. (Sigh) One just hopes that they'll grow screen tech as rapidly as PJ tech! Still, this may be an option I can recommend to others, in terms of usabiliyy in ambient light. As you tweak the 900 further, please let us all know,

Thank you!

willdao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 6453 Old 11-19-2005, 02:41 PM

Let's throw a party: my 101st post. (Sheesh, only took two years!)

Just happened to notice. Nope, don't go there, I swear I wasn't counting! (I mean, who cares!)
post #1623 of 6453 Old 11-19-2005, 02:43 PM

Bump.

Oh! Here we are now at 102!

(Oh, 'Poet, jes kiddin', swear!)
post #1624 of 6453 Old 11-19-2005, 03:04 PM

And nobody even chuckled? Threw tomatoes, or anything?

MikeSRC, calibos, Madpoet, say something appropriate!

I'll duck!
post #1625 of 6453 Old 11-19-2005, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by byancey View Post

Well, my DIY cable works. I now have full serial control of my AE900. Not bad for $2.

One note of warning if you try building your own cable though. Be aware that the mini-din pin diagram in the manual is for the pin locations on the projector port (female). I had assumed the diagram was for the male end of the connecting cable, so I had several pin connections inverted the first time around.

--
Bryce

Excellent...glad to hear it works! I havent' built my cable yet but i'm gettin there. Because of distance I have to route the cable, I am again using DB9-> RJ45 adapters (with my soon to be built diy adapter) so I'm not there yet.

I actually just got the projector and screen up last nite and had the premiere showing (Happy Endings..not a bad movie). So far I'm thrilled with the projector. My theater previously had a 42" panasonic plasma, but having an 85" screen is much more enveloping.

Re: the graywolf talk with the AE900...I concur...this is a great screen for the money. I DO see the glass beads occasionally on bright scenes, but they're not distracting. Blacks and whites are very good so far....as is ambient light rejection (of course it looks even better in total darkness).

Anyway,

Rich
post #1626 of 6453 Old 11-19-2005, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Has anyone opted for the extended warranty from the Dealer you bought the 900 from? Are these "Extended Waranties" worth the price of the rebate (typically $200) or is it just a catch?

Xbox GT: LENNY 2112
post #1627 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

I finally got to play with the replacement AE900 tonight. My first unit had a convergence problem ... the replacement is not perfect either but much better. The fan noise on the new unit is higher than the old one ... the original one was for all practical purposes silent. Only when I went really close could I hear the "whoosh". With the new one, I can hear it (in normal mode) from the front side about 3 feet away in a silent room. In my seating position (slightly behind and about 3 feet below the PJ) however, its inaudible ... even in a silent room. Not an issue whatsoever.

I'm projecting onto a DIY 120" screen I made using simple blackout cloth. Running in Cinema 1 with Avia calibration of Brightness and Contrast and colors done as I posted here earlier. Using component cables and feeding DVD via SDI through an iScan HD at 720p. HD cable also goes through the iScan as component. No DVI/HDMI yet.

I have a light controlled room. I watch from around 14-15 feet.

The images are bright, vivid and colors are well saturated. Folks, those of you who are sitting on the fence and waiting ... just do it. This is an incredible machine! I've watched a marathon session and did not want to leave the room. No rbe headaches, yay!! A HUGE plus for me since I get throbbing headaches with even the 5x DLPs. The images are sharp and yet filmlike as others have reported. NO SDE WHATSOEVER. I have not detected any stuck/dead pixels or VBE so far. No iris noise either (but the sound was on). I could detect the effect of the iris operation in a scene where it was dark and they had a large bright sign flashing in the middle. Whenever the bright sign came on, the surrounding region got a bit brighter (not by much, but detectable). When the sign went off, it got darker again. But then I was looking for this + you are supposed to be looking at the sign and not the dark region around it! If you do that, you'd never notice. Not an issue for me ... period.

I've ordered an 81C filter (as recommended by CKL) to try with the dynamic mode to eek out that extra pound (not ounce ) of contrast, but even as it is, it's damn good. Fleshtones and details are amazing ... a downside is that very soon my wife will get suspicious at the intensity with which I view the women on the screen.

This is without question a great purchase. And as others have said ... once you've seen a large FP in a light controlled room, everything else will be classified as "small" or "large" "TVs".
post #1628 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

My Greywolf 92" is gonna last me years, I cant see a compelling need for me to get a 'better' screen than this. In your case, going from Dalite to Greywolf might be a 'quality' step down but it would get you out of the nasty 4:3 world. I think pairing a native 16:9 pj with a 4:3 screen would be very distracting.

Sam

Thanks for the reply Sam. I don't know if it's a quality step down or not, I just have a Da-lite matte and this weekend I picked up the Grew Wolf HD grey screen. Mind you now I don't have the AE900 yest but the difference between the screens is mind blowing. The Grey Wold makes such a huge difference in my room it's amazing.

In fact, I'm so impressed that I am wondering why I upgraded. Please tell me there will be an even bigger jump up with my new PJ and I'm just a noob who doesn't know any better.

My New Xbox Live Gamertag: General Hazard
post #1629 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 09:17 AM

I have been using my AE900 with an Oppo DVD player for about a week. The Oppo is set to output 720p with TL and CSS off, but with NR on Low (also brightness is set to -3 as per the Oppo thread). I used Avia to calibrate the projector which only needed minor adjustments from the Cinema 1 mode. The image is gorgeous. For those that see some edge enhancement, please turn the sharpness ALL the way down on the AE900. If you stand near the screen with some white lettering on it (eg. credits or preferably the sharpness pattern from Avia) you can see the difference it makes.

With this projector I'm noticing things that I have never seen before in movies that I'm familiar with. For example, the detail in scenes in Star Wars Ep. II is just fantastic. I can see things in the background that I've never noticed before.
post #1630 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase View Post

For those that see some edge enhancement, please turn the sharpness ALL the way down on the AE900. If you stand near the screen with some white lettering on it (eg. credits or preferably the sharpness pattern from Avia) you can see the difference it makes.

As I mentioned earlier, if you have a sharpness control on the DVD player (eg. S77), turn it down as well. The sharpness conrolled by these settings is very artificial and you don't loose any actual sharpness.
post #1631 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 02:09 PM

DenisT - I agree. The Oppo's sharpness setting is OFF.
post #1632 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Well I just set up my AE900 last night and boy am I thrilled with it. Great picture, easy to use for a first-time projector owner like me, and so simple to set up perfectly. I'm able to use the low-lamp setting and I have a hard time even hearing the fan at all! I'm using an Oppo with a DVD to HDMI cable and the two work great together. The macro-blocking I noticed on Batman Begins is not gone, but it's definitely tons less noticable than on my old projecton TV.
LL

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

post #1633 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I;m still considering the 900but have a concern about the remote.

Thomas Norton in his review on the Ultimate AV site states

"...in order for the projector to receive commands, the remote had to be pointed directly at the sensor on the front of the projector. It wouldn't respond when I pointed the remote at the screen (as it does with most projectors) or at the back of the projector (the only sensor is on the front). Fresh batteries didn't help."

As my projector would be mounted on a high shelf several feet above and a few feet in front of my seat, how would I be able to send commands through the remote if this is true?

I would have no choice but to bounce the signal off the screen or front wall, as the remote sensor is located on the front of the pj. My current pj has sensors on the front and back, and both can be active together.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #1634 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You definitely need to point the remote at the front of the projector.

Other areas of interest

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ClubWrx.net Scotty144
post #1635 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 03:49 PM

I am thinking about upgrading to the AE900 from My Sony 10HT, which does have a rear remote receiver. If I do get it, I will also pick up an infrared remote control extender. From a little Googling around, they are not expensive.

Jacob
'Take me to the movies cause I love to sit in the dark', 'Baby Doll', Laurie Anderson, 'Strange Angels', 1989
post #1636 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

My 900 is a few feet behind where I sit and by pointing the remote at the screen the signal bounces back to the projector no problem. This is true of my Yamaha amp also. The Oppo doesn't work this way, though.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

post #1637 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, it seems like I would not know about the remote until I tried it in my room. Not sure I want to take tthe chance unless I go the remote extender route, which I had not thought of.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #1638 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 04:56 PM

The problems is not knowing until you try the remote in your setup. Initial setup is the worst time to have a finicky remote. So, while I don't usually frequent stores like BestBuy, I might just see if they have an extender. That way I can have it handy if I need it, and if I don't, I can easily return it.

I have just packed up my 10HT for a repair estimate (it started ghosting). And if as I suspect the repair charge is >= to the unit's value, I will be getting either the AE900 or possibly a Sony HS51. The AE900 certainly has price on its side. My only concerns are the possibility of VB (which I haven't seen on the 10HT) and the AE900's DI possbily being a bit more onery than the HS51's. I am currently leaning toward the AE900.

Hopefully, the AE900 will work with my 106" diagonal DaLite High Power screen. I like a brighter image than theater standard, but I do have my limits. I suppose I could put an ND filter on it if need be.

Jacob
'Take me to the movies cause I love to sit in the dark', 'Baby Doll', Laurie Anderson, 'Strange Angels', 1989
post #1639 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 05:56 PM

I am tossing up getting the AE900, but these little reviews concern me :

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...er-reviews.htm <== the AE700 seems to have been more highly rated by people than the AE900

I am considering either an AE700 or the AE900, I can get an AE700 brand new through work a few hundred dollars cheaper.

However the premature bulb death issues are a worry, also I get the impression the AE700 is a bit flaky with connecting to a PC?
post #1640 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 06:16 PM

http://www.ausmedia.com.au/panasonic...900_review.htm <== and this has lead me to be even more confused.
post #1641 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwmjt View Post

I am tossing up getting the AE900, but these little reviews concern me :

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...er-reviews.htm <== the AE700 seems to have been more highly rated by people than the AE900

I am considering either an AE700 or the AE900, I can get an AE700 brand new through work a few hundred dollars cheaper.

However the premature bulb death issues are a worry, also I get the impression the AE700 is a bit flaky with connecting to a PC?

If you look closely at the 22 opinions, 2 of them are from disgruntled AE700 owners and NOT AE900 owners. And the latest 2 look like they were written by the same person with different last names. So I wouldn't put too much emphasis on these ratings. It is still early in the game.
post #1642 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein View Post

Hopefully, the AE900 will work with my 106" diagonal DaLite High Power screen. I like a brighter image than theater standard, but I do have my limits. I suppose I could put an ND filter on it if need be.

keep in mind that the calibrated lumens for the AE900 is about 300-525 depending on Normal Cinema1, Cinema2, ect. search the thread for details.

AE900U PJ
1014-TX
Crown 602 amp (mains)
Energy C-9/C-C3 rear and surrounds/C-C3 center/STF-2 sub
HTPC for AV input
post #1643 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwmjt View Post

http://www.ausmedia.com.au/panasonic...900_review.htm <== and this has lead me to be even more confused.

if you search the thread, you will find that someone claimed that ausmedia.com trying to get rid of their AE700 units and as soon as they sell out of the AE700, there will be a new review up telling how the AE900 is sooooo much better than the old AE700.

If it's true or not, I do not know.

AE900U PJ
1014-TX
Crown 602 amp (mains)
Energy C-9/C-C3 rear and surrounds/C-C3 center/STF-2 sub
HTPC for AV input
post #1644 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy27 View Post

If you look closely at the 22 opinions, 2 of them are from disgruntled AE700 owners and NOT AE900 owners. And the latest 2 look like they were written by the same person with different last names. So I wouldn't put too much emphasis on these ratings. It is still early in the game.

You make a good point there, I guess im just been totally pedantic, just I need to settle my mind before buying, im like that with any purchase.

The other thing that was attracting me to the AE700 is we have them sitting in stock, so I dont have to wait.... I guess that's a pretty bad reason though.

Now what's with this whole overscan issue when running a PC into the projector? If i'm running 1280x720 from a PC straight into either HDMI or RGB, I assume that the complete frame will appear.
post #1645 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I know this has been point out before but I will say it again. Put new batteries in the remote. The batteries that come with the remote are not the best and may be causing the problems described. I have used this remote with new batteries and I have had no problems. The batteries that come with it are low cost batteries. Who knows how old they are.
post #1646 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein View Post

The problems is not knowing until you try the remote in your setup. Initial setup is the worst time to have a finicky remote. So, while I don't usually frequent stores like BestBuy, I might just see if they have an extender. That way I can have it handy if I need it, and if I don't, I can easily return it.

I have just packed up my 10HT for a repair estimate (it started ghosting). And if as I suspect the repair charge is >= to the unit's value, I will be getting either the AE900 or possibly a Sony HS51. The AE900 certainly has price on its side. My only concerns are the possibility of VB (which I haven't seen on the 10HT) and the AE900's DI possbily being a bit more onery than the HS51's. I am currently leaning toward the AE900.

The blue plate on my 10HT is shot and Sony gave me a $5000 estimate to replace he entire prism block. When I told them that I could get a new HS51 for under $3000, they said that they knew and didn't think it would be worth it have the repair done.

Great to know that they put the customer first.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

post #1647 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

The blue plate on my 10HT is shot and Sony gave me a $5000 estimate to replace he entire prism block. When I told them that I could get a new HS51 for under $3000, they said that they knew and didn't think it would be worth it have the repair done.

Great to know that they put the customer first.

Shelly

Look at it this way ... they did NOT tell you that at first. In fact they showed enough respect to your independence, maturity and wallet to actually provide you with the $5000 choice ... even though they did not believe it themselves! That's respect! Doesn't it give you a warm and fuzzy feeling?
post #1648 of 6453 Old 11-20-2005, 09:14 PM

shelly, I fully expect that the repair will cost more than the 10HT could possibly be worth (say $1000 with the bulb near the end of its life). You can see the problem I am having on this thread.

If my problem is an optical/LCD problem, game over. If my problem is a board problem, game over. About my only hope is that the problem is caused by a marginal connection on an edge connector or internal cable and that while they board swap to debug the problem, they effectively fix the problem.

I have mixed feelings about the 10HT going out after five years of minimal use (I don't watch TV on it and it has gotten perhaps three movies a week of use in the five years I have had it). I am near the end of my third bulb. The first two were always run at high ouput, so that makes for less than 3,500 hours of use or $1.50 an hour not including the three replacment bulbs I purchased (one sat in a closet for six months, then blew after like 100 hours).

Anyway, I guess it is worth the $90 or so it will cost for round trip shipping and the $26 estimate fee. At the same time, I wonder why I am bothering. A knowledgeable friend suggested I not return it in its original box as he has heard from a few folk that Sony will throw the box away and return it with jerry rigged packing in a vanilla cardboard box.

What I am looking for in a replacement is simply something that is cost effective and overall an improvement over the 10HT. This is why I am strongly leaning towards the AE900. If my 10HT will have had a useful life of only five years, am I going to spend like $8K for a Ruby? No way - let others fund the R&D this time around. Even the NEC 9PG Xtra I paid $5k for had $1,500 of residual value after several years of use.

Given that the AE900 appears to be more HTPC friendly than the HS51, that makes my choice fairly easy. At least I will be spending less than 40% of what I spent on the 10HT.

Good luck to you with your new PJ. And on the positive side, I did enjoy the 10HT while it lasted and not being a non-CRT PJ newbie this time around should make for a less neurotic buying experience.

{GLS}, thanks for the output info.

Jacob
post #1649 of 6453 Old 11-21-2005, 12:04 AM

Finally tested out a AE900 today, very impressive.

I was just shocked that I could sit in front the screen and almost not see a pixel.

Also could not see any apparent vertical banding on this AE900

Also it was almost dead quiet, I was in a sound room with the music turned right down, and you could only just hear the projecor if you were right under it.

Definately sold on an AE900 now.
post #1650 of 6453 Old 11-21-2005, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I previously owned a AE700 and while the VB was not great I could still notice it. On the AE 900 I have found it hard to notice any VB and the Smooth Screen seems even better. This could be because of the D5 panels. Blacks are also much better out of the box. It is possible that the Z4 will give a slightly sharper picture out of the box but the Lack of SD on the Panasonic was very important for me since I am using the projector in a small room and my first row of seats is about 1x2 the screen size. I have also noticed that the fan noise is a little lower on the AE900. I had the 700 tweaked using Brad Bissells's filter settings so the picture difference is not that great. I do plan to try a filter on the 900. For those interested see the AE900 tweak thread.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae900u Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page