Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by egb1emb2 View Post

It may just be my monitor, buy myapplebuddy's pictures of the brilliantcolor 0, +5, +10 looked like there was a bit of loss in the detail of the chefs jacket. what do you think?

Like I mentioned, my digital camera combined with imageshack's picture hosting might be the culprit. I can tell you that in person I don't notice loss of detail when using BC, the biggest issue with it is that colors do start to look cartoonish when you get towards setting 10. The picture I used to demonstrate doesn't show this, but I'll try to post a few others that do. I actually now use setting 4, which at this stage in the bulb life adds a pefect amount of pop to the image. Out of the box BC is set to 3 so I think the designers basically agree with myself and others who have said their favorite setting is 3. All the pictures I posted have a loss of detail when compared to what you see in "real life", so it probably isn't the best thing judge loss of detail solely on those pictures I posted. I'll post some more BC comparison shots after it gets dark tonight because I don't have a light controlled room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsx213 View Post

How well does the new Optima cover handle light leakage?

If a celing mounted HD72 is in front of your seating can you any light leakage from the unit?

Are you asking if there's enough light leakage to be seen on nearby walls, or are you asking that if you're looking through the rear vent on the HD72 if you'll see some light from inside? If it's the first question, then no there's no light leakage from what I can see. If it's the second question then I'll check for you when I get my ladder back out today to do a slight reposition of my HD72. I think that all Optoma projectors now have the "sealed light path" design, which means you don't have to change any air filters. I think it also means there's no light leakage, but I'm not sure and there's too much light in my room right now to be able to tell for sure.
post #633 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

My current unit is celing mounted about 22 feet back (PJ Lens), 8ft 9in high (bottom of PJ). I want to use the full 133" screen I have if possible and bottom of my screen is 24" from the floor. It looks like I have a room that can handle this projector without too many problem but I have a feeling I'll need to move this projector closer to the screen since 22 feet is pretty far back.

According to the calculator on Projector Central's website for a 133" image the projector can be mounted from 15.3' to 18.4' from the screen.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #634 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received and hooked up my HD72 projector last night. I am having a hard time getting the color/contrast/brightness, etc. correct. I am using my Oppo DVD player and the picture is good, but I feel it can be much better with a few tweaks here and there. Can someone post some user settings that has worked for them and recommend how I can calibrate the projector.
post #635 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:

My current unit is celing mounted about 22 feet back (PJ Lens), 8ft 9in high (bottom of PJ). I want to use the full 133" screen I have if possible and bottom of my screen is 24" from the floor. It looks like I have a room that can handle this projector without too many problem but I have a feeling I'll need to move this projector closer to the screen since 22 feet is pretty far back.

If you mount HD72 on same height, then center of lens is 8'11" (107"). Max distance you can mount is 18'4".

Height of you screen is 65" (I wish I could do the same) which will create offset of 20.8".

107 - 65 - 20.8 = 21.2" is the distance from floor to the bottom of the screen. A llitle bit off your 24" target, so you need to find the way to mount your PJ 3 inches higher (if ceiling allows) or move your screen 3" lower.

HTH, Davie
post #636 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pglover19 View Post

I received and hooked up my HD72 projector last night. I am having a hard time getting the color/contrast/brightness, etc. correct. I am using my Oppo DVD player and the picture is good, but I feel it can be much better with a few tweaks here and there. Can someone post some user settings that has worked for them and recommend how I can calibrate the projector.

Greetings,

I'm unboxing tonight, the HD72 review unit I received a few days ago. I still have my calibration software/hardware up, as I am just finishing a review of the Sony HS51A.

So, when I fire up the HD72, I'll take a quick look at the color balance, and do a one pass calibration. That should get some basic settings for you to try. If not posted tonight (probably not) then by tomorrow night.

The review itself won't be done and posted on my site, until probably next Wed - Thursday. -art

-art

Reviewing projectors sure beats selling them...
---but then, watching The 5th Element
-----for the hundreth time sure is getting old.
ProjectorReviews.com
post #637 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Pglover19, congrats on new PJ.

Did you buy it from PJPeople or some other place ? I see you have it mounted so I guess you figured out how to connect Chief RPA-U mount, did you need any extra (longer) M3 screws or whatever came with PJ/mount worked out ok ?

As far as c/c/b is concerned, did you try AVIA or Video Essentials disk to calibrate it ? This seems to be the best way to do it since setting from other users are not necessarily going to be good for your setup due to different viewing conditions / screen, etc.

HTH, Davie.
post #638 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by presenter View Post

Greetings,

I'm unboxing tonight, the HD72 review unit I received a few days ago. I still have my calibration software/hardware up, as I am just finishing a review of the Sony HS51A.

So, when I fire up the HD72, I'll take a quick look at the color balance, and do a one pass calibration. That should get some basic settings for you to try. If not posted tonight (probably not) then by tomorrow night.

The review itself won't be done and posted on my site, until probably next Wed - Thursday. -art

Art,

Nice to hear that you finally going to review HD72, I was checking your site regularly since it was promised at end of Jan .

Since you still have the Sony, any chance you can do side by side Sony vs. HD72. That will be interesting to hear your opinion since I've read new Sony 51A model improved on the previous one.

Thanks, Davie.
post #639 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Can someone post some user settings that has worked for them and recommend how I can calibrate the projector.

Tom posted his settings here.........

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=643075

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #640 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse98 View Post

If you mount HD72 on same height, then center of lens is 8'11" (107"). Max distance you can mount is 18'4".

Height of you screen is 65" (I wish I could do the same) which will create offset of 20.8".

107 - 65 - 20.8 = 21.2" is the distance from floor to the bottom of the screen. A llitle bit off your 24" target, so you need to find the way to mount your PJ 3 inches higher (if ceiling allows) or move your screen 3" lower.

HTH, Davie

Thanks...

I can go higher if I need to....I have 10 ft ceilings in that room so that shouldn't be a problem at all
post #641 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplebuddy View Post

The Peerless Spyder Universal Mount works for the HD72 just fine. You can only use 3 of the 4 mounting holes due to the small area that the 4 mounting holes are located in, but it's plenty secure. It has roll and tilt adjustments that work really well.

Is this the Peerless mount with a ball and socket for making adjustments?

Thanks
post #642 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi. Would someone be kind enough to explain me in what way does the offset of this PJ vary with the zooming....Example, if I use the PJ for a 106 diag screen, will the offset be the smallest if I put the PJ closer to the screen and will it be the largest if I put the PJ farther from the screen? Or is it the opposite...I am getting a bit confused.

What confuses me even more is the definition of ZOOMING. According to some brochures I've read, maximum zooming is used when you put the PJ the closest from the screen for a given screen size, thus enlarging (zooming) the picture to a maximum size for a given distance. Is this definition right or is it just the opposite???

Thanks everyone for your explanations!

Stef
post #643 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 06:55 PM

Mypplebuddy,

I, too, am quite impressed with those shots (with the exception of the higher BC settings in the kitchen scene). I'm also very pleased to hear that you're happy with the Carada BW screen. If my HT construction plan moves forward, this would be my current choice of PJ/screen.

You mentioned that you don't have a well light controlled room. Were those shots taken in complete darkness at night? Or was there some residual ambient light. Also, any regrets about the BW screen fabric? I read the audioholics review where they favorably compared it to the much more expensive Studiotek screen, in which they state that it was their preferred fabric of the three Carada options. My question here is whether you have any regret about not going with the gray--I'm curious about yours (and any other) thoughts about the appropriate gain match for this PJ (Carada or not).

Thanks,

KK
post #644 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by presenter View Post

Greetings,

Art,

That's great...can't wait.

Also, if you can make some comparison comments between this and the H78DC3 and maybe that new high-end Benq PE8720 you installed, that would be great. So far Ix has posted a great user review comparison between the H78DC3 and the HD72, but his calibrations may not have been as close as you can probably get them. Plus, he only had it for 1 night. I'm sure Ix might even be interested himself on what you have to say.

Your reviews appear to be un-biased to me, as far as I can tell, so I'm looking forward to this review as well!

Thanks,

Fleaman
post #645 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 08:28 PM

Hey guys, I received my HD72 yesterday, and finally set it up today. This is replacing my H31. I would of set it up yesterday but it wouldn't work with the mount I made for my H31.

Anyways, I'll start with some of the cons of this machine. First, I really don't feel it is a $500-600 step up from the H31, but I am keeping it anyways. Why, you may ask? I don't know, I think it has mind control over me. Seriously, though, I'm watching the opening ceremonies of the Winter games right now and I thought I would see a tremendous improvement in HD over my H31, but the improvement definately doesn't knock my socks off. This unit is also alot larger than my H31, and the mounting holes are off-center of the unit, which is why I had to build a new mount for it (my old mount had the plate made of plexi-glass and I was afraid that it would crack because of the pressure that is being put on it b/c off the off-center mount, so I rebuilt it out of 16 guage steel). The TrueVivid and AI modes do a whole lot of nothing. Those are about the only negatives I've found.

The pros are as follows:
1) I for one, love the brilliant color feature. I have mine set to 6 right now and feel that it really makes the image pop.
2) I threw in LOTR to see how it handles DVDs (since I've watched this movie more than any other I felt it would be good for comparison) and was expecting the image to be not as good as the H31, since it has to upconvert the image, but I was thoroughly impressed. I think this is what is convincing me of the $500-600 upgrade. Honestly, I've never seen the movie look so good.
3) This image is also much brighter than my H31, which helps during the day, since the projector is mounted in my living room.
4) I like the way the iec connector fits in this unit more than the H31. I assembled my own power cord out of 10 guage shielded copper and I had to grind off part of the housing of the female end of the iec connector to get it to fit in the H31 because the male side was so recessed in. The HD72 is not really recessed at all.
5) Not a biggie, but I like the remote better on the HD72 as opposed to the H31. The color matches the unit and it is layed out a little better.
6) Although the the image on high-def is not as great of an improvement over the H31 as I thought it would be, it is still a noticable improvement.
7) The slightly larger offset helps me out with my cathedral ceilings.

All in all, it seems like a great unit and by the way, I haven't had a chance to calibrate it, yet, so I'm expecting the pros to further outweigh the cons once I'm all set up.
post #646 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesboyjr View Post

Seriously, though, I'm watching the opening ceremonies of the Winter games right now and I thought I would see a tremendous improvement in HD over my H31, but the improvement definately doesn't knock my socks off.

Thats the thing...the H31 and 4805 projectors do such a nice job of throwing out that downscaled image that when you finally see the real thing, the differences are subtle. Less jagged lines on curved edges........more fine detail...but at the exact same time, you wind up going.."Yeah..but.....I want it to totally blow me away with crystal-clarity!".

And that just aint gonna happen until we get 1080p projectors, where the jump from 720x480 to 1920x1080 has a better chance of being SIGNIFICANTLY noticible.....

I bought my H31 knowing this last year.....720p is slightly sharper.....but its not night and day "blow my mind" shaper...its just not. I think, however, that to get the most out of that projector, you'll need full-bandwidth movies on HD...NOT the compressed stuff you get over satellite/cable...methinks you haven't yet seen the full potential of what that 720pj can do.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #647 of 2915 Old 02-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Ix
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

Art,

That's great...can't wait.

Also, if you can make some comparison comments between this and the H78DC3 and maybe that new high-end Benq PE8720 you installed, that would be great. So far Ix has posted a great user review comparison between the H78DC3 and the HD72, but his calibrations may not have been as close as you can probably get them. Plus, he only had it for 1 night. I'm sure Ix might even be interested himself on what you have to say.

Your reviews appear to be un-biased to me, as far as I can tell, so I'm looking forward to this review as well!

Thanks,

Fleaman

No I won't! My opinion is the only one that matters!

Of course I want to know what a pro, or semi-pro, or even just more-pro than me has to say. I'd be happy for any "real" review on this unit because frankly it scares me that I might be one the the first semi-reviews to come out for this thing
post #648 of 2915 Old 02-11-2006, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktx View Post

Mypplebuddy,

I, too, am quite impressed with those shots (with the exception of the higher BC settings in the kitchen scene). I'm also very pleased to hear that you're happy with the Carada BW screen. If my HT construction plan moves forward, this would be my current choice of PJ/screen.

You mentioned that you don't have a well light controlled room. Were those shots taken in complete darkness at night? Or was there some residual ambient light. Also, any regrets about the BW screen fabric? I read the audioholics review where they favorably compared it to the much more expensive Studiotek screen, in which they state that it was their preferred fabric of the three Carada options. My question here is whether you have any regret about not going with the gray--I'm curious about yours (and any other) thoughts about the appropriate gain match for this PJ (Carada or not).

All of my screenshot posts were taken in complete darkness at night. My ceiling is white and my walls are a lighter color so there is a fair amount of light present in the room created by the image on the screen. I'm going to have to post some new screenshots though because I used Guitarman's settings for component video and it improved the image over what I had calibrated it to.

I think that some time back I had read that same review about the Carada BW vs Studiotek 130 and that's why I recommended the Carada BW to my dad when he bought an H57. I was really impressed with the customer service he got, and the product itself was outstanding. The Studiotek 130 is regarded as the best "no-nonsense" screen on the market today, one that reflects back exactly what is projected onto it without alteration. In fact, Greg Rogers, the leading projector reviewer for Widescreen Review, uses it in his setup. I think the Carada BW is about 1/2 the cost of a Studiotek 130. I'm not saying they're exactly the same performance, but from the audioholics review it sounds like they're nearly identical.

I have absolutely no regrets about the HD72/Carada Criterion BW combination, and frankly I'm amazed that I have a 7 ft wide screen that looks so incredible and the whole package (projector, screen, mount, cables) was just a hair over $3K. I love modern technology!
post #649 of 2915 Old 02-11-2006, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can someone post there settings used for standard/HDTV. I also used Guitarman's settings for digital (HDMI/DVI) video and the picture looks great with DVD movies. However, the picture on standard TV/HDTV with Guitarman needs some tweaking in order to look great. Please post your best setting for standard TV/HDTV.
post #650 of 2915 Old 02-11-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Seriously, though, I'm watching the opening ceremonies of the Winter games right now and I thought I would see a tremendous improvement in HD over my H31, but the improvement definately doesn't knock my socks off.

Since NBC is 1080i, the HD72 is likely deinterlacing/downscaling to 1280x540. Make sure to try (hopefully not terribly compressed) 720p from FOX or ABC.
post #651 of 2915 Old 02-11-2006, 09:22 AM

"Since NBC is 1080i, the HD72 is likely deinterlacing/downscaling to 1280x540. Make sure to try (hopefully not terribly compressed) 720p from FOX or ABC "
A little misleading . The 1080i feed is converted to 720p, not 540.
Blueboyjr ; After you calibrate for your hdtv settings, please post your findings. The Hd72 should have user selectable modes ,and remember the settings,like most projectors
post #652 of 2915 Old 02-11-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Anyways, I'll start with some of the cons of this machine. First, I really don't feel it is a $500-600 step up from the H31, but I am keeping it anyways. Why, you may ask? I don't know, I think it has mind control over me. Seriously, though, I'm watching the opening ceremonies of the Winter games right now and I thought I would see a tremendous improvement in HD over my H31, but the improvement definately doesn't knock my socks off.

I too have a H31 and also watched the opening cerermonies of the Winter games and I didn't think it looked that great. Good yes, 'cos it's HD, but I thought the Superbowl on ABC looked much better. Like FlyingGimp said, could be the NBC feed or how you're getting it (mine comes through my Adelphia cable).

Later that night I switched to ABC local news which just recently started broadcasting in HD here in L.A. (they have HD cameras in the news room now!) and it was stunning. Looked much better than the Winter game opener...

Fleaman
post #653 of 2915 Old 02-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan View Post

If the deinterlacing solution bobs the 1080i signal to 540 first, then uprezzes it to 720p, then you lose that much extra detail. The Pixelworks solution in the new InFocus PlayBig line does true motion adaptive deinterlacing of 1080i, *then* scales it to 720p.

Since the processing of the HD72 still has some questions surrounding it, I don't think its known for sure yet (or at least isn't widely published), which method is used. Early documents said it uses Faroudja deinterlacing, but I haven't seen any marketing of that in newer documents (though I've yet to read the user's manual!) I've placed a few calls into Optoma but haven't gotten that question answered definitively yet. If the answer is that it bobs 1080i to 540 first, then it likely rules this projector out for me.

Rick

Perfect Video
ISF Calibration
Southern California & Elsewhere
Xbox Live: EnderWiggin21
post #654 of 2915 Old 02-11-2006, 11:12 AM

I agree too that the Olympic opening ceremony didn't look great. What I noticed was something that looked like giant pixelization happening. On certain shots with motion it looked like the picture became blocky. Is that dithering? I'm not really sure what it was but it didn't look good. That was the first time I had seen something like that so far with the HD72. It seemed like it was the same couple camera shots I noticed it on again and again. Certain cameras they used seemed to look better than others. I wasn't sure if it was a compression issue, or the cameras they were using, or some processing error in the HD72. Did any of you notice anything like that or was it just me? Any thoughts on what it was?
post #655 of 2915 Old 02-11-2006, 11:14 AM

" I just tested 480i DVD with the HQV test disc and it passed all the tests. HD looks as good as it can with it's high resolution so jaggies are minimal. "

Those of you reporting mediocre HD results need to weed out the possiblities of bad or mediocre; feed; cables; equiptment ; and especially user settings,before blaming the projector for not so hot HDTV performance. Very unfair to Optoma. Thousands of people read these posts.
post #656 of 2915 Old 02-11-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan View Post

Yes it's 1080i->720p conversion, but the "->" there is important. Aside from from the IN76 no other low priced DLP has implemented 1080i to 1080p deinterlace followed by downscaling to 720p. Since it's a cheaper/easier solution, most display devices implement a 1080i to 540p deinterlace and then upscale to 720p.

Unless you have other information it's reasonable to think the HD72 takes the cheaper 1080i->540p->720p path. And note I said "likely". I'd *love* it if the HD72 took the 1080i->1080p->720p path. Maybe someone with inside info could comment (TzungILin or Guitarman?).
post #657 of 2915 Old 02-11-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGimp View Post

Yes it's 1080i->720p conversion, but the "->" there is important. Aside from from the IN76 no other low priced DLP has implemented 1080i to 1080p deinterlace followed by downscaling to 720p. Since it's a cheaper/easier solution, most display devices implement a 1080i to 540p deinterlace and then upscale to 720p.

Unless you have other information it's reasonable to think the HD72 takes the cheaper 1080i->540p->720p path. And note I said "likely". I'd *love* it if the HD72 took the 1080i->1080p->720p path. Maybe someone with inside info could comment (TzungILin or Guitarman?).

FlyingGimp, of course there is always another option to bypass HD72 deinterlacer and feed it with 720P signal in the first place. Majority of devices will allow you to do that -- in my case both Oppo DVD player and Comcast's Motorola 6412 HDTV box allow you to select 1080i or 720P.

The only question is of course how Oppo or Motorola process 720P deinterlacing -- if they Bob too, then it makes no difference what you feed your PJ, but at least it's an option for people who reported HDTV "problem" to try and see which deinterlacer they like better.

Davie.
post #658 of 2915 Old 02-11-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post

Hi. Would someone be kind enough to explain me in what way does the offset of this PJ vary with the zooming....Example, if I use the PJ for a 106 diag screen, will the offset be the smallest if I put the PJ closer to the screen and will it be the largest if I put the PJ farther from the screen? Or is it the opposite...I am getting a bit confused.

What confuses me even more is the definition of ZOOMING. According to some brochures I've read, maximum zooming is used when you put the PJ the closest from the screen for a given screen size, thus enlarging (zooming) the picture to a maximum size for a given distance. Is this definition right or is it just the opposite???

Thanks everyone for your explanations!

Stef2, offset will be smallest if you place your PJ farther from the screen (no zoom or 1.0 zoom). This way for 106" screen it will be mounted 14'6" from the screen.

To better understand zooming: if you keep your PJ at the same distance (14'6") and use max zoom (1.2x), your image will become 127" (106"*1.2=127"). Meaning that you will only see part of the image on your 106" screen and what you see will become 1.2 bigger (depending on what you looking at might not be a bad idea ). The rest of the image will spill outside of your screen.

Play with PJ calculator on this link -- it will help you understand it better:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

Please note that HD72 has variable zoom lens (apparently it's cheaper compared to fixed zoom lens), so when you zoom in, your will your image increase in size and will move down from 32% to 37% offset, which in your scenario will mean that top of the zoomed image is going to be 2.6" below non-zoomed image.

HTH, Davie.
post #659 of 2915 Old 02-11-2006, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplebuddy View Post

I agree too that the Olympic opening ceremony didn't look great. What I noticed was something that looked like giant pixelization happening. On certain shots with motion it looked like the picture became blocky. Is that dithering? I'm not really sure what it was but it didn't look good. That was the first time I had seen something like that so far with the HD72. It seemed like it was the same couple camera shots I noticed it on again and again. Certain cameras they used seemed to look better than others. I wasn't sure if it was a compression issue, or the cameras they were using, or some processing error in the HD72. Did any of you notice anything like that or was it just me? Any thoughts on what it was?

Also not positive on the accurate nomenclature, but I would call it macroblocking. It's either an artifact from compression (Satellite or cable) or a problem with the HD feed at its source (NBC in this case). It's certainly not dithering from the PJ, it's in the signal.

Cable/Sat. seems to always compress the HD feeds before they send it out. I think the only way to get non-compressed full bandwidth HD signals is off the air (antenna!), and strangely that is free

Maybe some of those premium HD channels (like HD.net?) force Sat./Cable to broadcast w/o and compression, but I doubt it.

I'm sure someone here will clarify this.

Fleaman
post #660 of 2915 Old 02-11-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

First, I really don't feel it is a $500-600 step up from the H31, but I am keeping it anyways.

What's your screen size ? I'd imagine that on screens of 106" and up that you would see a pretty decent jump in PQ with regards to seeing pixel structure or SDE. If you don't see any difference in regards to these artifacts, then that is pretty disappointing to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindew View Post

FWIW, I think that the HD72 or Mitsubishi 3000 both offer projectors that would have cost $7000-10000 three years ago....... And, if we are bringing the "next level" into the equation...I venture that these two are as good or better than IF 7210 right now (for less than 1/2 the cost).

While I agree with your thoughts on what these would have cost a few years back, seeing as how bluesboyjr is having trouble justifying the HD72 as major step up from the H31, I hardly feel this statement about it's image being as good or better than the 7210 could be even remotely true.

I've read posts from a few folks who opinions I value and that have made the jump from the 4805/H31 to the 7210 and they are thoroughly impressed with the differences in PQ. If anything, the Optoma H78/79 DC3 pj's are more of a direct comparison, as far as image quality is concerned, to the 7210 which also uses the DC3 chip. If the HD72 can't throw an image equal to the H78DC3 as attested to by Ix in his head to head shootout, it also won't be able to equal or top the 7210's image.

I've done quite a bit of research on both the 7210 and H78DC3 as I'm going to be upgrading from my 4805 and have been eagerly awaiting reviews on the HD72 and IN76 before making my decision. Going strictly on pq alone and excluding everything else, I seriously doubt that either the HD72 or IN76 will be able to equal the 7210/H78. The DC3 chips and optics used by them are superior.

It's definitely nice to see this new generation of low end units close the gap in pq, but if I keep reading posts of people saying "it's not that big of an increase over my H31/4805", I think one of the DC3 pj's will be where my $$$$ go.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page