Z2 happy owners ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 198 Old 10-28-2005, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been considering the Z2 because of the great price (same as 480P dlp) and the fact that is true HD. My viewing is 50% DVD and 50% HD OTA. My 4805 looks great on dvd but on 1024x768 PC and HD the res could be better.

Problem is I read alot of negitive stuff about the Z2 (filters, warranty). And I also read that LCD's in general suffer from short life (3000 hours on panel / polarizer).

Are these real fears? Are there some satisfied z2 owners out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 198 Old 10-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Yup!

BetrayThis Clan
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
DreamKill
post #3 of 198 Old 11-27-2005, 12:08 AM

Liked: 13
I have had my Z2 for a over a year and I have not had any problems with it, the pic quality is awesome even at 60x107 I'd buy another one, I love my projector, the only reason I see buying a new one is if and when the 1080p ones become availabe and under 3 grand or so
post #4 of 198 Old 11-28-2005, 03:01 PM

LOVE my 2HD/Z2!!! Blemishes and all. You would not be sorry!
post #5 of 198 Old 11-30-2005, 09:45 AM

Very happy with my two year old z2. Bought it exactly two years ago when it first came out...so mine has the "bad" filter and the balky original firmware. Been running it with component dvd and hd using reciever to switch. Around 1000 hours. Works great. Tiny dustball you only see if you look for it. I'm too lazy and its too small for me to mess with opening the case and blowing it out. Great colors, great picture. Boards like this tend to magnify flaws and underemphasize positives. About four or five people posted about warranty problems. That's four or five in the entire WORLD! At least the same number posted about getting excellent warranty service.
The fact that this thing is still selling two years after its release says something. Could it fail? Could the polarizers die with heavy use (or with normal use)? Could you have a problem with poor custumer service or warranty issues? Sure. And a Panasonic bulb could explode, and you could see rainbows with dlp or have the dlp wheel fail. And we all know that every large corporation has its help lines staffed by highly trained, intelligent speakers of your native language that answer the phone on the second ring and give you exactly what you want!
BUT, the vast majority of the thousands of z2's sold are with owners who are very happy with them. Today would I buy one? No, I'd get a z3 for a little more or a z4. With the rapid pace of progress with projectors the z2 is now "old." However, to do it over again, if this were november of 2003, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. One of the best purchases I've EVER made. No regrets. If my budget were $1000 today, I'd strongly consider it. My only concern going forward is in a year or two when all hd output from hd dvd players is hdmi with encryption, will the z2 be able to handshake with it. But, for that matter, we don't know for sure if any of todays devices will handshake reliably. I also don't know if the newer z2 firmwares corrected that problem (again, mine is working great so I don't want to chance shipping it in for the bios update as many have done.)
Long and short of it...z2 was a great projector in 2003, capable of projecting a spectacular picture at a huge size in true high def. All of that is still true now, only you can pay less than half what I paid for it two years ago. So it is still a great projector. It will probably be projecting on my home theater screen for another couple years at least. You're not going to get a better high def projector for less money.

Art T
post #6 of 198 Old 11-30-2005, 09:50 AM

One more thought....I missed thtat you already have 4805. I've not seen 4805, but it's better blacks may make you unhappy with the contrast of the z2 (you didn't mention that in your original post....I imagine you know the whole dlp vs lcd contrast vs color thing...I' wont go there!). If you've got the budget for two projectors, my suggestion would be to step up to z3 or z4. The price you'd get selling your 4805 would cover the difference between z2 and z3, and you'll get both the good contrast and high def.

Art T
post #7 of 198 Old 11-30-2005, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Wow....good post. Yes I am looking at the Z3 right now. Alomost bought the Z2 but was scared off by all the negitive posts and got the 4805. The 4805 gives an incredible dvd picture for sure. HD is also great but............it does throw out more then 50% of the pixels to produce its image! (1280x720) vrs (854x480). The Z3 right now is priced very nicey. Should get me through next 3 years including inital HD-DVD
post #8 of 198 Old 11-30-2005, 02:07 PM

2 year old Z2 - Love it! Around 1200 hrs on lamp. Have Bravo D1, & Samsung DVD players. We also watch OTA HDTV Awesome - especially football & NASCAR. I clean out the dust via instructions found on this forum. I haven't posted in about a year 'cause "no problems". I am projecting onto a diy "super-plex" screen which I found instructions for on this forum.

Pixlar

Pixlar
post #9 of 198 Old 11-30-2005, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream1 View Post

Yup!

Hmmm very informative Dream1, glad you could provide feedback for the poster.

Anyway, like the others have stated, I've had a Z2 for 1.5 years and it is still performing top notch. The filter issue was something that happened early on when the Z2 first came out, and Sanyo quickly sent all new units with the better filter, and replaced it on units already sold if users made a request. The original filter in fact was not that bad, the problem is that people did not follow the procedures for maintenance on their Z2.

The Z2 is an excellant projector. I am using it with a Panny S97S HDMI upconverting DVD player, and the picture is almost HD looking. HD signals are truely amazing and most of my visitors have said, why would anybody want plasma. Because of the higher resolution, SDE is not really an issue, unless you go beyond the recommended throw distance or screen size.

Actually, I also use my Z2 with a Prismasonic H600 anamorphic lens to achieve a true Cinemascope constant height setup. My screen is 10ft wide and 51" tall and is 2.35 aspect ratio. Most DVD's are in either 2.35 or 1.85AR, in my case most of mine are 2.35. I enjoy those full screen with no black bars. When I move to smaller ratios, like Nemo for ex., the height stays the same, and I just draw the curtains in on the sides, just like the theaters.

The Z2 is really a great choice, especially if your going to watch any HD material. Heck, most primetime shows and sports are now broadcast in HD, so for me it makes sense to buy a 720p projector.

Depending on your budget, you might consider a Z3. Since the Z4 was recently introduced, the Z3 has been dropping. I have a friend that just bought a Z1 for about $500 bucks, it is one of the first 1/4HD projectors out there, and does a great job still.

You can't go wrong with Sanyo. If you do decide to get DLP, which is probably what Dream1 was being biased towards, make sure you don't suffer from the Rainbow Effect. If you do, you will hate life.

Peace Out

My Website
post #10 of 198 Old 12-11-2005, 09:53 AM

Can someone pplease refresh my memory and tell me how to get into factory settings? Does anyone have any info for the factory settings?

Just received back my Z2 from service and I would like to go through calibration again. Last did it when I first got my Z2. Any good tweak threads that are not archived? Some of the links from archive are not correct and do not take me where I was hoping to read so I can get back up to snuff.

Thanks for reading, really appreciate any help!

bedo
post #11 of 198 Old 12-11-2005, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedo View Post

Can someone pplease refresh my memory and tell me how to get into factory settings? Does anyone have any info for the factory settings?

To access Service Menu:
hold "menu" + "input" buttons on projector

To access Factory Menu:
hold "select" + "input" on the projector

Of course you know: WRITE DOWN your settings BEFORE you change ANYTHING!!! (you also know: Enter at your own risk)

To check lamp hours:
while Z2 is on, press and HOLD "on/off" button for about 10 secsonds.

Lots of settings through out this thread
http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...16#post3199616
http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...hreadid=392518

Oh yeah I almost forgot. My Z2 will be 2yrs old next months. I have 2300 hours on the ORIGINAL bulb and the stem looks great so it may hit 3000 hours before blowing. Still really bright too and we watch it with the lights on in a dedicated theater that is light controlled.

I just sent it to Sanyo Friday, because the corners have been out of focus for a long time and there is a yellow tint on white scenes on the right side of the screen. Sanyo says it needs a cleaning(at least they said that over the phone). I use it with a Momitsu 880 upscalling player and over the air HD(mostly sports).

My Z2 has the original firmware it shipped with(version 105) and the original filter. Sanyo will probably upgrade the firmware to the latest and replace the filter too, at least thats what they always did for other people who sent their Z2 in for service.

Great projector that has served me REAL well for the last 2 yrs.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #12 of 198 Old 12-11-2005, 10:25 AM

You should find out if changing factory settings voids your warranty. At the very least write down all factory settings which came with your machine so you can restore them. Sanyo still may be able to find out you entered an area where you're not authorized to go.
post #13 of 198 Old 12-11-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

To access Service Menu:
hold "menu" + "input" buttons on projector

To access Factory Menu:
hold "select" + "input" on the projector

Legairre!! Blast from the past! Thank you for helping me with your info. I am so appreciative of the help that comes here so unselfishly. Could have been a little quicker though....

Mine just came back from SE, and on the up side display looks crispy clean again like new. Nice sharp pixels and white screen is white whereas it did have the yellowish tint just like you described. The bad, the burn in artifacting when going from a static display to display of new picture remains. It eventually fades but I never had that until last couple (several?) months. I had talked in depth with the tech (head tech) about the problem and also the blue blotches showing up. Blue seems to bleed from video now and I will get alternating blue specks that seem to be congregated at center top of display. Mine is mounted upside down. The specks have appearance of blinking in and out like a Xmas display almost. That is new. I need to go through tweaking again, the blacks were really blue, I restored some old service settings I was using and it helped. I had a good mix of no VB and good color balance before, VB is an issue again that needs addressed (again). They kept it 3 $#%#$ weeks. Man! Came back showing CLEANED and no other info. Email request for particulars was not answered

I have a CC20R filter coming from Sainthalo (member here) and I got a 1db video attenuator from partsexpress I saw people here talking about using on the red component rca with filter. I use DVI from my HTPC and HD sat through component. I had a strong purplish tint with component in the past and have not yet hooked component back up since receiving it back. I will check the firware ver once I get into factory settings but the air filter was not changed like I had heard about and had asked the tech when he had just received in the pj. He, at the time, was unaware of any air filter changed from original. I am frustrated with these negatives and expect to return back with request they send it to Sanyo. I was without for 3 WEEKS....3 WEEKS! and I may hold off a bit since I have a full year remaining on warranty. My impression of SE is they are not doing well or at least not caring or not being supported by Sanyo on the Z2/2HD to provide the stellar support that I had heard about and based my buying decision on. I do not want to ride any kind of impending deterioration into and beyond the warranty. Whew, nice vent bedo...

Anyways, for now calibrating it back is my current goal.
post #14 of 198 Old 12-12-2005, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

No problem Bedo I'm always happy to help. I've been non existant around the projector forum only because my Z2 has been performing so well for so long. Actually the focus has been off in the corners for a long time, but you just couldn't notice it on DVDs. I've been uing my Z2 for HDTV and football games in addition to DVD for about a year now and I noticed the corners out of focus about a year ago, but it never bothered me. Now that the yellow tint showed up on the right side of the screen and the warrenty is 1 yr from being gone I figured I might as well get the focus and tint problems fixed.

Sanyo is notorious for not fixing projectors under warrenty and claims it was user neglect. I wonder if your projector took 3 weeks because SE was fighting with Sanyo to fix the unit. Sounds like Sanyo agreed to clean your projector and get rid of the yellow tint, but refused to do anything else. Also sounds like SE didn't want to say anything about your other problems. Did they say anything about the blue streaks or Christmas light blinking or did they simply ignore it like there wasn't any problem? Also have you had a chance to see if they upgraded the firmware?

Legairre

post #15 of 198 Old 12-16-2005, 05:28 AM

Hi There,

I'v been battling out on which projector i should buy over the last two months. It was between the Optoma H31 and the Sanyo Plv-z2. I finally decided on the Z2 as i would like have native support for higher resolutions as my primary input source will be a PC connected with a DVI cable.

Questions for the knowledgable!

1. Does it matter on the DVI-I cable i use (single or dual)?
2. What resolution and Frequency should i be rnuning my ATI video card at? I have downloaded OMega drivers from omegadrivers website and i can output 1280 x 720.

3. My Image looks good, but i expected my eye popping display at higher resolutions. i find the image grainy and when watching a DVD, alhtough the overall image is impressive, i find i see alot of pixelation and does not look anywhere as good as hooking up my 32 LCD TV Display through the ame interface.
My Goal is to get crystal clear image quality when playing DVDs using Media center at least. if i can;t get DVDs to view clear what makes me think i will get an HD signal through the PC to work any better.

Am i missing something?

Also the DVI cable i'm using is a cable that came with my dell 19" LCD that doens;t have the four small pins around the wide flat pin... does this matter?

any help would be appreciated, i just spent the money on a PJ that i though would display higher resolutions nicely but i'm starting to wonder if i should have just gone with the H31 .

ALSO, I hooke up my XBOX through my xbox Component HD cable box to the component inputs on the Z2 and the image quality blows away the input from my computer through the DVI connection... sin;t this ass backwards?

Thanks,

Mark
post #16 of 198 Old 03-03-2006, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquack View Post

Hmmm very informative Dream1, glad you could provide feedback for the poster.

Anyway, like the others have stated, I've had a Z2 for 1.5 years and it is still performing top notch. The filter issue was something that happened early on when the Z2 first came out, and Sanyo quickly sent all new units with the better filter, and replaced it on units already sold if users made a request. The original filter in fact was not that bad, the problem is that people did not follow the procedures for maintenance on their Z2.

I bought my Z2 over two years ago, shortly after it came out. I have the original and very first firmware and filter. How can I get the new filter and should I do that?

I had dust blobs that I couldn't blow out no matter what I did. I used compressed air, an air pump, many times and finally gave up. Now I don't notice them probably because I unconsciously don't look for them when the screen goes "black."

I used to clean my filter regularly, but the darn thing is so porous I never found any dust on it, so I stopped. I guess I should check it again, but it's something of a hassle to do that - I have to disconnect all the cables. Gotta check and see how many hours are on it. Just guessing, it's 1000, but I'll check and edit this post with the number. So far, other than the blobs and often unsatisfactory contrast ratio, it's worked fine, AFAIK.

Edit: I checked, and it's at 1064 hours... good guess!

So, my questions are:

1. How can I get the new filter and should I do that?

2. Can I get Sanyo to do a BIOS upgrade? Do I have to pay shipping to have them do that (or other charges)?

3. Is there any kind of metafaq for the Z2? I have done no adjustments and wonder what I can do to improve the image.

4. How do you find out your bulb life? I know it's one of the entries in one of the screens but I remember there was a shortcut to get that. Anyone know?
post #17 of 198 Old 03-03-2006, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Since you have the "original filter" like I did they may just clean it for free like they did mine. Mine also had a panel alignment problem and they also cleaned the unit because it had a yellow haze on the right side of the image too. While it was there they also upgraded the firmware from 105 to 109, and replaced the filter with the new one.

I'd call the 888 number in this link http://www.sanyo.com/business/projec...?showFileID=32 and explain to them that you have the original filter and that the holes are so large everything gets through and see what they say. If the let you send it in they will replace the filter, upgrade the firmware and clean the unit.

2. Can I get Sanyo to do a BIOS upgrade? Do I have to pay shipping to have them do that (or other charges)?

Sanyo pays shipping both ways. They ask you to fill out a form and they give you a FedEx account #. Turnaround time for mine was 5 business days from CT. to CA.

3. Is there any kind of metafaq for the Z2? I have done no adjustments and wonder what I can do to improve the image.

Yep! this links to lots of good tweek threads http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3&highlight=z2

4. How do you find out your bulb life? I know it's one of the entries in one of the screens but I remember there was a shortcut to get that. Anyone know?

Press and hold the power button for about 30 secs and it wil show up in the upper left corner of the screen.

post #18 of 198 Old 03-04-2006, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Since you have the "original filter" like I did they may just clean it for free like they did mine. Mine also had a panel alignment problem and they also cleaned the unit because it had a yellow haze on the right side of the image too. While it was there they also upgraded the firmware from 105 to 109, and replaced the filter with the new one.

I'd call the 888 number in this link http://www.sanyo.com/business/projec...?showFileID=32 and explain to them that you have the original filter and that the holes are so large everything gets through and see what they say. If the let you send it in they will replace the filter, upgrade the firmware and clean the unit.

Sanyo pays shipping both ways. They ask you to fill out a form and they give you a FedEx account #. Turnaround time for mine was 5 business days from CT. to CA.

--> I guess you're in CT. I'm in California, north. I think Sanyo is in S. California.

Yep! this links to lots of good tweek threads http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3&highlight=z2

--> Thanks! I'll be checking it out. Don't know why, but when I was trying to figure out all the tweaks and adjustments on the Z2 I seemed to be having more trouble than other people figuring out how the remote/access to adjustments worked. The paradigm just didn't click in my head. I suppose if I beat my head against that wall long enough it will sink in. Is it just me or is it a little hard to comprehend?

Press and hold the power button for about 30 secs and it wil show up in the upper left corner of the screen.

--->Yep, I finally found that in my database of Z2 issues. Mine's at 1064 right now.

--->I looked for my old blobs last night and sure enough I still have around half dozen. I hope that Sanyo will consent to clean them out for me as well as give me the new filter and do the BIOS upgrade. I have the very first one.
post #19 of 198 Old 03-06-2006, 09:27 AM

Allright...I have a question (2 1/2 year old z2 owner with original filter and first firmware)...why would someone want to replace the original filter? Seems that some are having problems with polarizer panels failing, which is a heat related issue. I've got to think sanyo only redesigned the filter when they got complaints about the porous nature of the original. HOWEVER, would it not make sense that this denser filter impedes airflow and could contribute to heat buildup, as although the filter was replaced, the fans and cooling mechanisms of the z2 were designed around the original filter. So, are any of you out there with the failed polarizers using the original filters? If any of you are, I'll change my tune, but given the reputed wonderful warranty support Sanyo is offering, there's no way in heck I'm giving up my old filter which lets lots of nice cool air flow into my projector. We'll just have to see how long it lasts! Oh, and, regarding cleaning this filter, the only time I've gotten dust blobs is when I actually went and cleaned the filter. I'd have been better off not cleaning it!
Again, have any of you who's polarizers failed been using the original z2 filter?

Art T
post #20 of 198 Old 03-06-2006, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtT View Post

Allright...I have a question (2 1/2 year old z2 owner with original filter and first firmware)...why would someone want to replace the original filter? Seems that some are having problems with polarizer panels failing, which is a heat related issue. I've got to think sanyo only redesigned the filter when they got complaints about the porous nature of the original. HOWEVER, would it not make sense that this denser filter impedes airflow and could contribute to heat buildup, as although the filter was replaced, the fans and cooling mechanisms of the z2 were designed around the original filter. So, are any of you out there with the failed polarizers using the original filters? If any of you are, I'll change my tune, but given the reputed wonderful warranty support Sanyo is offering, there's no way in heck I'm giving up my old filter which lets lots of nice cool air flow into my projector. We'll just have to see how long it lasts! Oh, and, regarding cleaning this filter, the only time I've gotten dust blobs is when I actually went and cleaned the filter. I'd have been better off not cleaning it!
Again, have any of you who's polarizers failed been using the original z2 filter?

My own feeling (and I too have a 2+ year old Z2 with original filter and the very first firmware) is that if I send in the machine to have them clean out the dust blobs, replace the filter and update firmware I will not include the original filter with the machine - I'll hold onto it in case I want to use it. My room temperatures vary quite considerably between winter and summer, so I would certainly consider using the porous filter when it's really warm/hot and the new one when it's cool. I assume this is feasible. In my case, I had dust blobs practically from day one (maybe actually), and have never succeeded in getting rid of them, and believe me I tried a number of times using just about every strategy I could find suggested in this forum.
post #21 of 198 Old 03-08-2006, 01:54 PM

Mine had the original filter throughout its life with me. My blue panel went belly up. I wonder if it could be related to the blue background that displays when there is no input. I noticed my replacement pj came with the background set to black. I am going to leave it that way. I had heard some years back that blue warms up the tubes nicely on a crt pj and I always assumed blue was the way to go when there is no input.
post #22 of 198 Old 03-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

In my case, I had dust blobs practically from day one (maybe actually), and have never succeeded in getting rid of them, and believe me I tried a number of times using just about every strategy I could find suggested in this forum.

I had dust blobs since day one as well. I cleaned the air filter regularly and used compressed air to clean the panels on a regular basis as well. This helped, but never cured it. I finally got it rid of it though...here's the secret: Upgrade projectors! As you can tell I'm not too happy with the Z2. Sanyo also refused my warranty service claiming user abuse. They told me I had the latest and greatest filter as well.

It looked great new, but went down hill rapidly. Everlasting dust blobs, yellow blothiness, focus issues, blue panel started burning up too. Only 2 yrs old.

Here's some screenshots of my Z2 on it's last leg compared with my new DLP:
Z2:

HD72:

Scary, huh?
post #23 of 198 Old 03-08-2006, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't noticed any particular deterioration of my Z2's image since I got it about November 2003. It's got about 1075 hours on it. The dust blob problem is significant, but I only notice (for the most part) when the screen goes dark for a moment. I do wish very much sometimes that the blacks were deeper in some scenes in some movies. Oftentimes it's just terrible. I intend to work up a new screen, painting it with Misty Evening and see if that improves things much. I also am going to look into adjusting the gamma. I haven't been doing any adjusting of the Z2 for some time. I found the menu system on the remote really confusing. The only real picture adjustment I've been doing is adjusting the contrast on my DVD player. In scenes where the blacks are washed out (generally night scenes), boosting the contrast is generally some help.
post #24 of 198 Old 03-08-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz400 View Post

Wow....good post. Yes I am looking at the Z3 right now. Alomost bought the Z2 but was scared off by all the negitive posts and got the 4805. The 4805 gives an incredible dvd picture for sure. HD is also great but............it does throw out more then 50% of the pixels to produce its image! (1280x720) vrs (854x480). The Z3 right now is priced very nicey. Should get me through next 3 years including inital HD-DVD

Had a Yamaha LPX500, got over 4000 hours on my first lamp. Got a Z3, got 1046 hours before it suddenly lost half its brightness and became unwatchable. This happened after running the lamp in high mode for about ten hours. This may be a fluke, but you may want to run your Z2 or Z3 on low lamp exclusively. Oh, and the component inputs are the pits. You have to use HDMI or VGA for a decent, sharp, properly color balanced image. Good Luck!
post #25 of 198 Old 03-30-2006, 03:55 AM

I can't seem to find the thread that discusses the Z2 and sending it in for service. Mine is in need of a bulb and a cleaning ( I have never attempted a cleaning). Who is out there that will dial it in for me?

Thanks guys.

To abe applicable to the post I am a very satisfied Z2 owner. I have been for a long time now. In fact I am on my original bulb and it has 5000 hours on it. I hope I don't jinx myself. I've never put it into full power mode except for 200 total hours. It has been abused under my handling. Lots of moves, lots of smoke, tons of power surges and spikes. Power failures all sorts of crap, and it has been great.
post #26 of 198 Old 03-30-2006, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresher View Post

To abe applicable to the post I am a very satisfied Z2 owner. I have been for a long time now. In fact I am on my original bulb and it has 5000 hours on it. I hope I don't jinx myself. I've never put it into full power mode except for 200 total hours. It has been abused under my handling. Lots of moves, lots of smoke, tons of power surges and spikes. Power failures all sorts of crap, and it has been great.

This is so funny...my original Z2 (I have two) has the original bulb and has never ever been cleaned...over 2000 hours...no dust blobs, no vb, nothing wrong.

My second one has tons of dust blobs, horrible vb, has been cleaned, and the first bulb lasted less than 750 hours...

I am beginning to think that the less you mess with a projector the better and longer they last.
post #27 of 198 Old 03-30-2006, 08:42 AM

I've had mine for a 2 yrs and 3 months and have loved it every day. I'm still on my original bulb. For what it sells for now it's a great deal. I think I'll upgrade projectors in 1-2 years, till then I'm just gonna enjoy my Z2
post #28 of 198 Old 03-30-2006, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's the link to sanyo service.
http://www.sanyo.com/business/projec...showFileID=327

Do you really have 5000 hrs on your Z2 or are you joking?

post #29 of 198 Old 03-31-2006, 03:00 AM

Thanks for the links. I am hesistant to send my unit in now. It has worked so well for me that paying these repair people to take it apart doesn;t sound lik much of a bargain. Then again it is common to hear only the bad experiences via forum boards...this one I trust though.

Well guys here it is...

I wanted to update a few posts about hours on bulbs for the z2. Luckily my z2 has lasted over 6000 hours on the original bulb. It still looks solid but we feel that it has lost some punch during sometimes bright periods of the day.

I have been running my PJ on a drywall made screen made with Misty Evening paint and a ton of sanding. Not the setup some of you guys have but it is good. Brightness and colors have always been good.

I have abused my Z2. It has lived in a smoke filled envvironment. The filter has been cleaned 3 total times and I own a beast of a cat. Hair has always been an issue. I have noticed only one dust blob, and I am not even sure that is what the anamoly is. On a pure black screen I see a lighter black drop looking thing.

I live in a hot and humid area. Over 80% humidity all the time. We constantly have power surges, power spikes, amd brownouts.

I have turned on and off my z2 many times in a day. Sometimes I turn it off only to immediatly turn it right back on after it will let me. I know for a fact that today alone it has been turned on and off 5 times.

I use the projector for HD TV, Standard TV, Xbox, Gamecube, DVD playback and as my primary display for my computer. I utilize 1280x720 rez for the pc rez.

Sometimes when the power goes out the PJ shuts right off, I simply turn it back on.

I have never cleaned the lenses, interior or done any sort of bulb replacemnt.

I am not trying to jinx myself or be a snob. Just letting you know how my beloved z2 has handled.

Did I mention it has been moved in 4 major moves by FedEx and UPS?

I am ordering a new blub ASAP for the Xbox 360 that I am about to buy. I hope it will restore some of the daytime abilities of the projector.

You'll notice in the picture below that I have run the projector in Bright mode only 490 total hours. I do however run a high gain mode on low lamp mode when playing xbox and gamecube during the day, this normally kicks the fan into high gear. I assume that an adjustment to brightness to such an extreme is similar to running the lamp in high mode.

post #30 of 198 Old 03-31-2006, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wanted to update a few posts about hours on bulbs for the z2. Luckily my z2 has lasted over 6000 hours on the original bulb. It still looks solid but we feel that it has lost some punch during sometimes bright periods of the day.

I have abused my Z2. It has lived in a smoke filled envvironment. The filter has been cleaned 3 total times and I own a beast of a cat. Hair has always been an issue.

LOL!!! This is proving my theory about abusing your projector and it will last longer...over 6200 hours has to be an all-time record for the Z2.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page