Z3 Impressions and Thanks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 58 Old 11-14-2005, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been a lurker on the forums since June, and received my PLV-Z3 on Saturday. Absolutely love the picture; sight unseen I was a little worried about black levels but I have no problem with them at all. I think it may be a personal thing too, since I had a really nice CRT PC monitor for instance and absolutely loved going from that to a Samsung 710n LCD monitor. Extremely clear and perhaps not as dark as the CRT or "inky black" but I preferred the LCD; it was easier on my eyes, and I could see everything brighter and more clearly especially in video games.

I just got a 42" panasonic plasma for another room as well and am thrilled with that, but call me crazy but I actually prefer the Z3 image! Some very slight tweaks with AVIA (I use the Normal and Theater black lamp mode) and I simply love the picture. The plasma certainly has the edge with a bit more vibrant colors and punch of course, but the colors on the Z3 while watching HD material are wonderful. It looks just right to me, very natural colors. I noticed a little bit of the "orange-reds" but this I found to happen mostly on standard definition channels, and even then, it wasn't that bad/noticeable.

No VB to speak of, and if it's there I can't perceive it even in bright sky images. Screen door is apparent at 3' (of course) but at 5' or so it is spotty, like only in bright areas and if you focus your eyes to see it. At 6' and especially 8' from where I view, it is gone.

I'm using a 75" tile board screen screwed on to a 1x3" pine frame wrapped in black velvet and painted with three coats of Lowe's Valspar Flat Ultra Pure White. Projector is 9' away. It's in a small bedroom as well, about 11x11 feet and I have light blocking shades on the windows.

I have a Hughes HTL-HD receiver for directv, and the projector is hooked up via component cables. Watched the first HD football games on the Z3 yesterday... which I will now watch football exclusively on the projector every Sunday (skipping the plasma and my sony rptv!)

Nothing like it, it felt like you were standing right on the sidelines at times, or up in the seats looking down at the game. I know HD football games looks fantastic on smaller tv's; like you are looking through a window, but this is more like looking through a window and actually being there. I have an Onkyo 6.1 surround system which I'm upgrading the speakers to Infinity's and in the small room it was funny hearing the players at times and the fans in the Denver/Oakland game yesterday. hearing some guy yelling " You Suck Collins!!!" every once in a while helped to complete the experience.

I cannot wait to get my Xbox 360 now at the end of the month. I fired up some World of Warcraft for a little bit and for those who may know the game the gryphon ride from Stormwind to Ironforge was amazing. Really can't wait to see HD games using better anti-aliasing and such.

So I'm extremely happy with the purchase, sight unseen no less, I thought for sure I would get it and then probably want to tweak like mad; but it's not the case. I can see where it may not be "ink black" like the black level doesn't match the deep black velvet on the sides of the screen for example, but I am personally fine with that; the levels are totally acceptable for me.

Would like to thank the posters on this great forum, and especially CT Weibe for his review/advice and also 1Time in the DIY forum for suggesting simply UPW for a nice picture way back in June/July. Without these forums I would not be viewing my 75" screen of doom!! :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 11-15-2005, 02:34 PM

Excellent! Glad you're happy with your Z3!

I've been mulling over getting a second projector (I currently have an AE700) and am leaning towards a Z3 ... it'll be kind of funny ending up with the two "rivals" from last year.

I've never been truly happy with the AE700 (as try as I might) but don't think I want to jump to a Z4 ... other forum members seem to be picking it over pretty roughly, but my Panny has a little vertical banding and so I'm scared to go with a Panasonic again (though their plasmas (which I have one) are incredible!)

I originally had a Z1 and picked that one over the AE300, and felt that the Z1 was just a solid dependable projector with none of the "trickery" (e.g. Smoothscreen). Similarly, I think the Z3 is in the same game (no AI, dynamic iris, etc).

Enjoy your new projector! I may be joining in on the Z3 fun soon!
post #3 of 58 Old 11-15-2005, 03:54 PM

ct wiebe's review of the Z3 .....convinced me that the Z3 was the way to go....MAN WAS HE EVER RIGHT......I absolutely love mine....... valandil if you decide to tweak your Z3 .......try Rones or Jeremys 65k settings with the cc10y & cc20r filters.....The settings IMO make it as close to perfect when compared to real world colors....TRUELY AMAZING!:D.....NOW I must remind you that there are some people that have purchased the filters mentioned above and liked the non filtered picture better......they claim that the filtered settings doesn't have enough color .....But if you want A TRUE REPRENSENTATION OF 65k true world colors then you will not go wrong with the filtered settings!If you were to buy the filters and not like the filters & settings ..I will be more than happy to buy them from you......going to set up a bedroom PJ in near future!
post #4 of 58 Old 11-15-2005, 04:05 PM

forgot to mention that the orange reds you mentioned above...can be done away with if using component cables with a $4.50 1 db attenuator.....from www.partsexpress.com just connect it to the red component in and plug component cable into attenuator.....if you want to see if it makes a difference simply freeze a scene were there is alot of red in picture and try with and without attenuator.....you will be amazed at the over saturation of red when it comes to not having attenuator installed.........by the way just type in crossover attenuator and it will take you straight to the piece you need.
post #5 of 58 Old 11-15-2005, 09:52 PM

Hey guys ...

Any vertical banding with your Z3s? And if so, did the menu adjustment take it out?
post #6 of 58 Old 11-15-2005, 09:59 PM

I have NO vertical banding on my Z3. I love the damn thing!!
post #7 of 58 Old 11-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
None here either. I have no regrets at all.
post #8 of 58 Old 11-16-2005, 11:54 AM

My Z3 is on the UPS truck right now and should arrive at my house within the
next 3 hours. I feel like a kid laying in bed awake a few hours before xmas morning;)

I currently have a Infocus X1 which I used with a 4/3 aspect screen.
I built my new screen a few days ago. My new one is 16/9 92" diag.
Its on the wall and ready to go.
I bought the Z1 sight unseen so I have no idea what to expect.
Like the above poster I am getting a xbox 360 in a couple weeks and that's
mainly why I choose to upgrade to the Z3. I have always been very happy with my X1.
Later tonight after I get her mounted and running I'll post my impressions.
I have high hopes that the Z3 will greatly out preform my X1.
The X1 is the only projector I've ever seen in my life so I really don't know what
to expect from the Z3.
I'll test it with Hi-Def TV/DVD/Regular TV/Xbox and report what I think.
post #9 of 58 Old 11-16-2005, 02:01 PM

No VB for me.........I have War of the Worlds on Pre-order ...I have not seen this movie so I can't wait to see what it looks like on my tweaked/filtered Z3.5 .....with my H/K 525 7.1 sound system.
post #10 of 58 Old 11-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

New Projector Owner!!!!!! Sign up for the Frappr $3500 and less digital pj map. (see my sig)

Quickfire I have been waiting for you. Have you signed up yet?

thanks guys.
post #11 of 58 Old 11-16-2005, 03:33 PM

Ordered my Z3 today! And it has already shipped! Yay!

I have toyed with the idea of replacing my AE700 in my media room with the Z3, but the projector mount is not far enough forward for the Z3 and I'm not sure I'm bothered to move it ... so I may just as well live with the AE700 ...

But I'm sure the Z3 will look marvellous in the great room as a "video wall" projector ... :)
post #12 of 58 Old 11-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Sweet. What are you doing with the Z3? What's the big plan?
post #13 of 58 Old 11-16-2005, 04:18 PM

In my great room (well, it's the big "room" in a loft, you know with kitchen, dining area and living area) I have a fireplace on one side, a 17 foot white wall opposite and a wall of windows in between ...

I have a cool 7 foot tall, skinny bookcase to one side of the fireplace with a miniature amplifier and DVD player in it. The speakers for the system are on either side of the fireplace (the fireplace stands proud, out from the wall).

The Z3 will live on the very top of the bookcase and project a huge image on the white wall opposite (above the sectional sofa "pit" and coffee table).

I use DVD authoring software to author DVDs with music videos, nature scenes, visualizations etc, so the idea is to pop one of these into the DVD player while company is around or I'm cooking, etc to have a huge video wall in the background. Kind of like my own personal video bar.

The interesting thing is that the video wall will be easily visible (in the evening) from the street through the wall-to-ceiling windows (up on the top floor of the building), so I may be entertaining a few passers by too!

What is neat (to me) is that the great room still looks like a living room and that the Z3 and hifi equipment is discrete and out of the way ... but I get this huge video wall for background entertainment.
post #14 of 58 Old 11-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Cool I got you.

You know what else you could do with it? Take a look at my Outdoor Theater Link in my sig.

How does 12x8 sound? Or how about 16x12 Now that would be sweet. Then then the passers by would be gawking :)
post #15 of 58 Old 11-16-2005, 04:35 PM

Love the outdoor theater! Projectors are being freed from media rooms!!! :)

I'll post some pictures when I have it all set up and running (in the next week or so) ...
post #16 of 58 Old 11-16-2005, 08:07 PM

Just got my z3 and i love it, but one thing that worried me was when i put in a copy of star wars III (sith) full screen into my computer. Jaggies and pixels all over the place. Widescreen dvds look fantastic, no pixels or jaggies to be seen. Anyone know why that is?
post #17 of 58 Old 11-16-2005, 08:45 PM

Be aware that some Z3s have poor convergence. Received mine about two weeks ago. I am generally pleased with the DVD and HD performance. The blacks are black enough, better than my now dead LPX500. The color is good but not as good as my LPX500. The convergence is not near as good as my old Yammy. Convergence is off by 1/2 pixel over about half the screen and 1 pixel or more over most of the rest. You don't notice the mis-convergence during DVD or HD playback, but you know that the picture would be much better if properly converged. On a PC screen with small black letters, the letters appear either purpleish or greenish.

If you get lucky and get near perfect convergence, you will have a projector that will amaze. If not, it will still look very good, but you may feel like you didn't get your money's worth. Then your left to decide whether to go through the hassle of dealing with Sanyo's warranty people. I can imagine their response,"oh, that's within spec". Anyone have any luck getting their convergence fixed?
post #18 of 58 Old 11-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

I would image that all LCD projectors can have poor convergence. Has anyone else had a problem with this on a Z3? Maybe I am out of the loop. Luckily there are no problems with mine.

All the more reason to not read posts about stuff you own cause then you start looking for flaws that you never noticed before. BUt I did check and I am good to go (no convergence prob)

As for the full screen version of the sith. Try viewing it in one of the other screen modes. Like through or wide. I can't remember what they are called but that might be the ticket. Oh yeah, and get a WS Version. Blasphemer!!! :D
post #19 of 58 Old 11-17-2005, 02:24 PM

My Z3 doesn't have any convergence problems!.......I'm a stickler for perfection when it comes to video......heck i've went into my service manual and done a convergence on my Toshiba 65H82 atleast 5 times over a span of about 3 years..so i know what to look for when a video picture doesn't look right.......Patrick may have got a bad Z3
post #20 of 58 Old 11-17-2005, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
quickfire, i've sent you a pm...do you check em? where in TN are you? i was hoping to take a look at a z3 and get a demo...would you be able to help?

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
post #21 of 58 Old 11-17-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire
ct wiebe's review of the Z3 .....convinced me that the Z3 was the way to go....MAN WAS HE EVER RIGHT......I absolutely love mine....... valandil if you decide to tweak your Z3 .......try Rones or Jeremys 65k settings with the cc10y & cc20r filters.....The settings IMO make it as close to perfect when compared to real world colors....TRUELY AMAZING!.....NOW I must remind you that there are some people that have purchased the filters mentioned above and liked the non filtered picture better......they claim that the filtered settings doesn't have enough color .....But if you want A TRUE REPRENSENTATION OF 65k true world colors then you will not go wrong with the filtered settings!If you were to buy the filters and not like the filters & settings ..I will be more than happy to buy them from you......going to set up a bedroom PJ in near future!

Love this thread!

Have to back up quickfire, he has neatly summed up a very long thread about tweaking the z3. I have attached the settings off the tweak thread to make it as easy as pie for you guys to z3.5! the filters made a massive difference to me and i could not be without them now. To report, I have a lovely japanese z3(.5!) with no SDE issues, no VB at all and no convergence issues. Owned it for 10 months now and am very happy - actually surfing the forums on the big screen right now

Some details of my setup in a slideshow if anyones interested (just click on free download):
z3.5 setup: http://rapidshare.de/files/5598772/sho_off.zip.html
filter mount: http://rapidshare.de/files/5598199/sho_filters.zip.html

Enjoy!

z3.5_sainthalo.pdf 73.861328125k . file

Sanyo Z3.5 (Z3+LEE Filters!) Email me for z3.5 filters/instructions
post #22 of 58 Old 11-18-2005, 11:06 AM

Well, my Z3 shipped out early (I ordered at 4pm EST Weds) and arrived a day earlier too (was 3-day, but only took 2) ... i.e. I just signed for it TODAY.

I'm being real good and not even opening the box ... and am going to work ... will look at it this evening!
post #23 of 58 Old 11-18-2005, 01:51 PM

Man......I would have had to open that box.....That takes some P A T I E N T S.... ;)
post #24 of 58 Old 11-18-2005, 01:57 PM

Slateef..I live in Claiborne...about 5 minutes from Middlesboro KY.....I have been working 10 hours a day 6 days aweek for about 2 months now....gotta love the furniture buisness this tyime of year.......Englands can't make furniture fast enough for the high demand this time of year...........
post #25 of 58 Old 11-18-2005, 02:46 PM

Englands? do you mean England the country? are you getting furniture from England? Wow! Never knew that you guys bought so much from here! What sort of our tat do you buy!!!

post #26 of 58 Old 11-18-2005, 07:01 PM

:D :D No.....England Furniture company...........its a division of Lazy-Boy......
post #27 of 58 Old 11-18-2005, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire
Man......I would have had to open that box.....That takes some P A T I E N T S.... ;)

I wasnt going to say anything but since you made me look sooo dumb with my england comments......., i just lost my "P A T I E N C E" with you... :p ;)

post #28 of 58 Old 11-18-2005, 09:55 PM

Well I'm home, the Z3 is sitting in its box unopened and ... I'm not oing to open it until tomorrow!!!

Had a few drinks and want to open it in good light and play around with it with all inputs (component, HDMI, etc) ... which won't happen tonight!

So tomorrow day/evening should be a big day!
post #29 of 58 Old 11-19-2005, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Will be cool to see what mrad thinks of his new Z3! Hope it meets (or exceeds!) all expectations.

I already have the attentuator since I had read that tweak thread thoroughly, hehe. Thanks for reminding me quickfire, I put it on the other night and it indeed helps the orangy-reds (which again, I found to be noticeable mostly on certain standard definition programs); it's a subtle change but the improvement to reds is certainly there.

I'm going to take some pics of HD football soon and also of Xbox 360 games when I get that. Just so happen to have a tripod and an old but ok digital camera.

I am so anxiously awaiting that Xbox... :D I would imagine split-screen multiplayer games and racing games with a racing wheel must be especially mint. As you can see I like the thought of gaming with this projector hehe, and I was also glad to find out that Nintendo higher-ups say its new system will support projectors as well, since it will use two external sensors; supposedly one on each side of the screen for it's Revolution controller next year.
post #30 of 58 Old 11-19-2005, 04:38 AM

My Z3 story....

I posted a few days ago that I was waiting on my Z3. Well now I've had it a couple
days and can give my true impressions. I'm not a video enthusiast by any stretch of
the imagination, just a regular guy who likes a big screen movie and gaming.
The Infocus X1 was my previous projector and the only other projector I actually
ever seen. I live in rural Mississippi and we don't have any stores with demo units
set up. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only guy in my city with a projector!
Anyway on with the impressions...

I got the box and like most I was excited to fire her up. I had already built my new
screen using Plas-Tex from Lowe's(92" Diag). I quickly opened box, put her on a
table and plugged in my Satellite Hi-Def receiver via VGA cable.
Switched to the discovery channel, powered up the Z3 with full lights on in the room. I have total
light control(no windows) but wanted to adjust the position of the screen with the
lights on so once aligned I could hit the lights and get the 'wow' feeling.
My screen position is high on the wall, about 1 foot from the top of a 9 foot ceiling.
This is fine because my chairs are on risers and I ceiling mount my projector.
But since I set the Z3 up quick I just sat in on a small table and used the lens shift
to move the pic to the screen. I then had to use quite a bit of keystone to make
the pic square since I was throwing a such a large angle.
So now, the moment of truth...

I kicked back, cig in hand, and hit the lights...
Uh Oh... This thing looked like crap. The image was grainy and very noisy.
I tried all the stock settings, creative cinema, etc and nothing looked good.
I tried other Hi-Def channels and none looked good. This thing didn't look nearly
as good as my X1. So I started using some of the tweaks from this board. I did
see improvement in the contrast/colors from the tweaks but the noise was just
awful. I ended up calling it a night...

The next morning I got up with the feeling I had made a 1500.00 dollar mistake.
I thought about it a while and remembered reading that using keystone correction
could deteroriate the image. So I decided to have faith and go ahead with my
mounting plans. I mounted the Z1 to the ceiling making sure I wouldn't' have to
use any keystone. Once I finished I hit the power and used just a tad of lens
shift to align the picture and zeroed out the keystone. I sat back and hit the lights....

WOW.... I finally got my WOW feeling. I must have sat there not touching a thing
for 2 hours watching Discovery, HDNET, ESPN Hi Def. I was truly blown away.
The Z3 outperforms my X1 in every way but one. I would have to say that the
screen door effect is slightly more noticeable on the Z3. I sit at about 1.2 times
screen width and never saw it with the X1. At the same distance I can sometimes
see it with the Z3 on bright images. However once I backed my chair up about 2
feet to 1.5 screen width it disappeared. I don't have any other issues with the Z3
and I am very happy with it.

Moral of the story.... Sometimes hooking her up quick can be a bad thing...
Don't use the keystone at all. I can't stress that enough. Now you might could
use a slight amount, I didn't try that, but don't use very much or you will destroy
your image quality. All the image noise was due to my heavy use of keystone.
The Z3 was worth every penny I paid and blows away my X1.

Well time to play with some tweaks.
So far I use Rone's for viewing DVD's. I find them much much better on dvd movies.
I use Jeremy's tweaks for watching HI-Def TV, I find them much much better on Hi-Def.
I don't have any filters but the tweaks still look great to me. I would like to get the
filters but again I am in a rural area and would have to order online.
If anyone knows a good place to order from online I would appreciate a private
message. Also, I use VGA connections for everything(Hi-Def Receiver/HTPC/Xbox).
If anyone has any good tweaks for a VGA setup please pass them along.

Thanks!
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page