The 2nd Official Infocus 4805 Thread. - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all
So I have a PC that I moved to the living room just to test out as an HTPC.

Specs:
AMD XP3000
GeForce 7300
InFocus SP4805

I am currently using a VGA to M1 adapter provided with the projector. I just can't get the resolution to look right. I saw in the FAQ that only DVI can support pixel mapping. What does that mean??

Can anyone point me to a link or website that walks you through the basics of HTPC, Resoltuion, Powerstrip, and TheateTek?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Hey fellas. As I mentioned a page or two ago, I got my D1 yesterday and wasted no time. I immediately did the cap swap, and then loaded the latest firmware, plugged in all the #'s for the custom resolution and all without a hitch. I was previously using a Sony DVP-NS575 @ 480i over component to feed the 4805. The picture was good, but now with the D1 pixel mapping 854x480 @48hz with the 4805, the picture is simply stunning! Simply put, they were made for each other.

I don't care how or why the D1 is making it's resurgence, but I'm damn glad it is!!! If your on the fence about getting a D1, I would say "do it!" Don't wait for this whole thing between Vizio & the OEM to get straightned out, by then it might be too late and the D1 could very well disappear forever. I'm thinking of getting another one just as a backup. You could spend more...or a whole hell of alot more for another player, and still not get the image you'd get with the D1.

Sure, the D1 may have a few quirks (crappy remote, possibly a buggy loader which can easily be replaced), but I'm willing to put up with them. At $79-$99 bucks it can't be beat! Hell, you'd spend more for dinner and a movie for the family. And, with the wealth of knowledge here (CAVU) just about anything can be resolved.

I don't have the time or the money (WAF) for that dream HTPC, let alone the patience! Even If I were an HTPC buff, knowing what I know now, and what the D1 is capable of, I'd still go out and get one just to have.

And, like Forrest Gump said...
"That's all I have to say about that!"

"So, you measure your TV in inches eh? That's cute. Mine...over 7.5 FEET!!!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3603 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 08:29 AM

Quote:

I am currently using a VGA to M1 adapter provided with the projector. I just can't get the resolution to look right. I saw in the FAQ that only DVI can support pixel mapping. What does that mean??

Can anyone point me to a link or website that walks you through the basics of HTPC, Resoltuion, Powerstrip, and TheateTek?

With the VGA output your best option is to send the projector 1280x720 (720p). The projector will scale this down to 480p. As a computer this will look like sh!t. It should be ok for film and videos though. The VGA output will not support 480p. It will support 640x480, but that is 4:3.

DVI -> M1 is the HTPC connection of choice because it is the option that will allow you to pixel map. Pixel mapping has been covered in eye-bleeding detail already. Try the search function up top in this thread. Another suggestion would be to read through Cavu, Brian I Am, and therealgeno's posts. They are the main contributors to the pixel mapping conversation.
post #3604 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerHunter View Post

Hey fellas. As I mentioned a page or two ago, I got my D1 yesterday and wasted no time. I immediately did the cap swap, and then loaded the latest firmware, plugged in all the #'s for the custom resolution and all without a hitch. I was previously using a Sony DVP-NS525 @ 480i over component to feed the 4805. The picture was good, but now with the D1 pixel mapping 854x480 @48hz with the 4805, the picture is simply stunning! Simply put, they were made for each other.

I don't care how or why the D1 is making it's resurgence, but I'm damn glad it is!!! If your on the fence about getting a D1, I would say "do it!" Don't wait for this whole thing between Vizio & the OEM to get straightned out, by then it might be too late and the D1 could very well disappear forever. I'm thinking of getting another one just as a backup. You could spend more...or a whole hell of alot more for another player, and still not get the image you'd get with the D1.

Sure, the D1 may have a few quirks (crappy remote, possibly a buggy loader which can easily be replaced), but I'm willing to put up with them. At $79-$99 bucks it can't be beat! Hell, you'd spend more for dinner and a movie for the family. And, with the wealth of knowledge here (CAVU) just about anything can be resolved.

I don't have the time or the money (WAF) for that dream HTPC, let alone the patience! Even If I were an HTPC buff, knowing what I know now, and what the D1 is capable of, I'd still go out and get one just to have.

And, like Forrest Gump said...
"That's all I have to say about that!"

I echo the above the only difference being My Sony player is a DVP-NS725. For those of us who want pixel mapping but dont have the time or the GOLD to build a HTPC (The video card alone will set you back $150) this player cannot be beat PERIOD!!!

Home Theater is a great way to check your Wife's Blood Pressure.
post #3605 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

After reading the last few posts and the fact cavu is going on vacation in April I placed my order today with Newegg. I hope the mod is not too complicated for not DIY guy like me.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #3606 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 09:08 AM

I've just received my Newegg D1. I've changed the caps, I am now TRYING to set it up for 1:1 pixel mapping. Here's my problem, how do you check what firmware you have? How do you setup the New Settings? I.E. I think I have the wrong firmware installed so I can't do it. Lastly where do I get the New firmware that allows me to setup my custom DVI settings?
post #3607 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

I asked this question a while back but didn't get any responses. Now that we have a lot of 4805 owners that are doing a 1:1 pixel mapping I'll present the question again. A little background; I have a Sony 400 DVD megachanger feeding a iScan HD+ video processor. This in turn feeds my 4805 via DVI-M1 cable. I am 1:1 mapped at 854X480@48Hz. and run a Prismasonic H-1000 anamorphic lens for constant hight 2.35 setup. My screen is 118"X50" Carada 1.4 gain. When I first viewed a movie I was truly impressed with the sharpness of the image, BUT, I did notice that there was more SDE. The question is, do you see this also now that you are pixel mapped?

Don't get me wrong, I love the picture this thing puts out and the SDE is still not a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.35 AR is suppose to be bigger than 1.78 AR not smaller!
post #3608 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyGib View Post

I asked this question a while back but didn't get any responses. Now that we have a lot of 4805 owners that are doing a 1:1 pixel mapping I'll present the question again. A little background; I have a Sony 400 DVD megachanger feeding a iScan HD+ video processor. This in turn feeds my 4805 via DVI-M1 cable. I am 1:1 mapped at 854X480@48Hz. and run a Prismasonic H-1000 anamorphic lens for constant hight 2.35 setup. My screen is 118"X50" Carada 1.4 gain. When I first viewed a movie I was truly impressed with the sharpness of the image, BUT, I did notice that there was more SDE. The question is, do you see this also now that you are pixel mapped?

Don't get me wrong, I love the picture this thing puts out and the SDE is still not a problem.

SDE will be the same no matter what source you are feeding to the 4805. Do you see the same SDE when you project a blank image? Did anything else change in your setup when from when you noticed the increase SDE (ie screen)?

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

post #3609 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Willy,

In my case with the D1/4805 pair-up, there appears to be less SDE, but not alot. At least for me.

post #3610 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

After reading the last few posts and the fact cavu is going on vacation in April I placed my order today with Newegg. I hope the mod is not too complicated for not DIY guy like me.

Alex,

The cap swap is a cinch. The job will take you 20-30 min. max. The hardest pasrt is actually getting out the old cap. Take a look at the pic back on pg. 104 so you'll see exactly what it is you'll need take out. As CAVU mentioned the only thing you'll need to do is unscrew the board (4 screws),unplug both power connectors, place a small hand towel over the loader, then flip the board over and have at it.

I used some desoldering braid to help soak up the old molten solder. You can get it at any Ratshack. Once you get the old cap out, make sure to get as much of the old solder off the board, it'll make for much better contact with the new cap & solder.

I then put the new cap in place bending the leads slightly to hold it in place, then flip the board over and solder into place. Then just take a pair of nail clippers and clip off the excess leads. Reassemble and you're done!

post #3611 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 09:43 AM

I guess you have to read into the Vizio website instructions,
* Player connected via DVI-D
* Power the player
* Press the TV MODE button on the player remote until 'DVI' appears of the player fluorescent display.
* The Bravo D2 splash screen should appear on the TV.
* Press SETUP on the player. Scroll to the Video Setting section and enter that area and highlight HD DVI OUT.
* Key in 9713. The Custom Settings menu with the settings previously entered will be displayed.
* Press ENTER to accept.
* Press SETUP to exit the setup menu.
This works for me:-) I had the right firmware all along I guess.
post #3612 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

You have set the Bob William's RGB Gain and Offsets. Right?

Where i can find this settings? and when i should use them? Only with Bravo D1 player?

On the other hand what this settings do? i didnĀ“t notice too much a difference by moving them.. so... some help will be appreciated.

thanks
post #3613 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1963 View Post

I had to hook my HD receiver up to component and the picture suffered. So If I could get some suggestions for a DVI switch box from the group it would be great.

You will have to do some sort of calibration to your HD box over component, I think my brightness/contrast are something like 39/49 or vice/versa.

I do know that with my SA8300 there was no noticable difference in HD quality with DVI vs component, so I would tinker with it first before I ditched the component cable you bought and pay for a DVI switch.

The only issue that is sort of known is the rolling bars problem over component, which I'm coming to suspect is some sort of 1080i sync issue.

Wes

ps congrats on the D1- looks impressive, doesn't it? I learned all the remote codes to my universal, works fine
post #3614 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I bought a used D1 a long while back and used it for a very short period (maybe a week) and while I agree it had a nice image with the 4805 it could not match my tweaked HTPC (so I sold it) .

For the money that the D1 sells for now there probably is not a better DVD source to feed your 4805 (certainly no better price to performance) .

---------- Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...

post #3615 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

Make sure you put the new cap in observing proper polarity!

post #3616 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerHunter View Post

Willy,

In my case with the D1/4805 pair-up, there appears to be less SDE, but not alot. At least for me.

Did you change your seating distance or increase screen size?

post #3617 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule View Post

SDE will be the same no matter what source you are feeding to the 4805. Do you see the same SDE when you project a blank image? Did anything else change in your setup when from when you noticed the increase SDE (ie screen)?

The only thing that changed was that I added the iScan & DVI-M1 cable. Prior to that I was connected with a component cable sending a 480i signal. Before I was 1:1 the image seemed to be a bit blurry so the SDE was not as noticeable. Now the image is crisp, the pixels are more defined and don't have that blur between pixels.

2.35 AR is suppose to be bigger than 1.78 AR not smaller!
post #3618 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaultwatcher View Post

I've just received my Newegg D1. I've changed the caps, I am now TRYING to set it up for 1:1 pixel mapping. Here's my problem, how do you check what firmware you have? How do you setup the New Settings? I.E. I think I have the wrong firmware installed so I can't do it. Lastly where do I get the New firmware that allows me to setup my custom DVI settings?

Pm Cavu or Me (Don't want to steal any of his thunder he is a D1 God!) and he or I will send you an e-mail with complete instructions and a copy of the firmware.

post #3619 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes nance View Post

You will have to do some sort of calibration to your HD box over component, I think my brightness/contrast are something like 39/49 or vice/versa.

I do know that with my SA8300 there was no noticable difference in HD quality with DVI vs component, so I would tinker with it first before I ditched the component cable you bought and pay for a DVI switch.

The only issue that is sort of known is the rolling bars problem over component, which I'm coming to suspect is some sort of 1080i sync issue.

Wes

ps congrats on the D1- looks impressive, doesn't it? I learned all the remote codes to my universal, works fine

Thanks Wes since it's Friday i'll have the whole weekend to tweak and see how the wifes blood pressure holds up!

post #3620 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pm Cavu or Me (Don't want to steal any of his thunder he is a D1 God!) and he or I will send you an e-mail with complete instructions.

It wouldn't hurt if you post it here.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #3621 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 11:36 AM

Click here to be shown a list of these settings http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...screenshot.jpg

Custom settings for D1 DVI: Full credit to CAVU for providing this to me!

After downloading, make an ISO Image CD of the firmware; no other type of CD copy will work. Please refer to your burning software instructions on creating an image CD.
Connect the Composite Video output (yellow) of the Bravo D1 to the Composite Video input of a display or TV. This has to be done because once in the programming mode the Bravo D1 defaults to this output only for providing the instructions during the programming.
Power on the Bravo D1 and Open the disc tray.
Leaving the tray open, power off the Bravo D1 using the Power On/Off Switch on the player. Do not use the Power button on the Remote Control.
Place the CD of the new firmware in the tray, press and hold the STOP button on the Bravo D1, power on the Bravo D1 using the Power On/Off Switch on the player.
The display on the front of the Bravo D1 should show BOOT CD. After this message appears the STOP button can be released.
The message will change to Loading, and after this a menu will appear on the Composite Video output. *(There will be a 1-2 minute interval before the screen is displayed).
Then follow the on screen instructions.

Here are the instructions for accessing the "secret" menus on the Bravo D1 from the remote control:

DVI Custom Setting

To use devices, such as video projectors, which may require custom setting of the DVI-output parameters, go into Setup to the Video Setting for DVI-Out.

Press the Right Arrow once, then enter 9713 to get the DVI Custom Setting screen. The various parameters for your projector can now be entered and saved.

Here are two sets of numbers which can be tried for the SP4805. Both eliminate 3:2 pulldown altogether:

DVD Regional Code Selection

DVD discs and DVD players are manufactured under the DVD Regional Code System, a worldwide standard. DVD players only play discs possessing the same Regional Code as the player.

To change the Regional Code, press Right-Down-Left-Up-ENTER-1 to get the Regional Code Setting screen. The Regional Code can now be entered and saved. Selecting Regional Code=0 makes the player "region-free" and it will play discs from all regions.

Note:

Custom settings can revert to 480p if the player loses power and the user enters the setup screen to confirm the settings. The setup screen will indicate 480p, but the output will actually be the previously entered custom settings. On exiting the setup menu, the player will revert to 480p, unless the user re-established the custom setting by performing the steps below: This applies to firmware versions 1.1.11 and below. To re-establish your custom settings:
Player connected via DVI-D
Power the player
Press the TV MODE button on the player remote until 'DVI' appears of the player fluorescent display.
The Bravo D1 splash screen should appear on the TV.
Press SETUP on the player. Scroll to the Video Setting section and enter that area and highlight HD DVI OUT.
Key in 9713. The Custom Settings menu with the settings previously entered will be displayed.
Press ENTER to accept.
Press SETUP to exit the setup menu.

post #3622 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 11:42 AM

Could somebody put together a post or link containing all the info for calibrating the 4805 and the D1 for 1:1 pixel mapping with the D1? I am sure it is in this monster thread somewhere. I have seen the settings separately, but it would be nice to have a quick how-to document. Maybe even a quick explanation of what this improves would also be nice.
post #3623 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only thing that changed was that I added the iScan & DVI-M1 cable. Prior to that I was connected with a component cable sending a 480i signal. Before I was 1:1 the image seemed to be a bit blurry so the SDE was not as noticeable. Now the image is crisp, the pixels are more defined and don't have that blur between pixels.

I see. What have you done to calibrate your system? Is your dvd player an SDI modded to the scaler, or do you have it connected via component at 480i?

post #3624 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE View Post

Could somebody put together a post or link containing all the info for calibrating the 4805 and the D1 for 1:1 pixel mapping with the D1? I am sure it is in this monster thread somewhere. I have seen the settings separately, but it would be nice to have a quick how-to document. Maybe even a quick explanation of what this improves would also be nice.

Look above your post:

post #3625 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:

I noticed less SDE using component. I then switched to DVI and HTPC and noticed lots more SDE especially on bright scenes. I recently switched to the D1 over DVI and it appears to be equal to the component in SDE but sharper. I am sure there is a reasonable technical reason for this that someone may expound on
post #3626 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Look above your post:

Yep, I saw that. Ask and ye shall recieve. However, isn't there some tweaks that should be done in conjuction with this on the 4805 or is this all that needs to be done? Also what the heck are we improving on the D1 and is there a way to go back to factory defaults if necessary?

Inquring minds want to know...................

Thanks!
post #3627 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Take the focus ring on your 4805, and turn it ever so slightly out of focus. Voila. To me it sounds like you adjusted the focus ever so slightly when you installed the iScan and DVI-M1. Perhaps it just got bumbed even. The pixels are not infact altered by 1 to 1 mapping. Just the colours and content they are producing. The spacing between the pixels does not change either. The factors affecting SDE come from the optical path. The digital signal (how it originates, is processed, and transmitted) does not physically affect the SDE. The only possible explanation I can think of is that your brain is not extrapolating the colours between the pixels in the same manner as it did with a less detailed image. This argument is weak at best, as the brain doesn't develop this extrapolating behaviour in any short amount of time. It does do this to compensate for the blind spot we all have where the optic nerve enters the eye.
post #3628 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE View Post

Yep, I saw that. Ask and ye shall recieve. However, isn't there some tweaks that should be done in conjuction with this on the 4805 or is this all that needs to be done? Also what the heck are we improving on the D1 and is there a way to go back to factory defaults if necessary?

Inquring minds want to know...................

Thanks!

Change your Color gains to 58 and your offsets to 28.5 (on the offsets when you get to 29 stop and push the down arrow until 28 appears this will put you at the 28.5 setting) Also a good idea to calibrate Brightness and contrast with a DVD such DVE or Avia. You can get DVE on Overstock.com (Hope that does not Break any rules).

Yes you can reset your player to default if you wish.

post #3629 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you change your seating distance or increase screen size?

Neither. Everything's the same. I don't know if it's the increased clarity with the pixel mapped image, but to my eyes the SDE is being percieved as a little less.

post #3630 of 8123 Old 03-24-2006, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the more visible screen door could be the change in white level. I'm guessing over component, the IRE level was too low from the original source and wasn't accounted for correctly, whereas over DVI white level is easier to calibrate.

I was just calibrating my Xbox the other day over component 480i. I had to constantly A/B the white level from my Oppo over DVI and my xbox and I had to set the 4805's contrast level to 100 on the xbox to get the white level the same as the Oppos.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus Screenplay Projector Sp4805
Gear in this thread - Sp4805 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page