post #91 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC-P View Post

Hanging around here is like hanging around in a virtual PJ shop with all the peripheral banter you would expect between the regulars. That's what makes it special.

Couldn't agree more. This thread is really not like any others for that reason - and a huge reason why I still subscribe - and rarely venture out in the other threads - the others are just too boring!!

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. (Winston Churchill)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4uxit66 View Post

No image visible when connecting SP4508 to Comcast dct-6200 using DVI port.
Comcast confirms that DVI port on the 6200 is active, they came out to my house and tried 3 different STB's, they all had the same issue. I tried a different DVI source( my laptop connected to it's docking station) using the DVI port and this working fine, I also tried another DVI source (LG lst-3510A HD Tuner/DVD) and this also works when using the DVI port. This confirms that my 25 ft DVI cable and M1 adapter is good. Anyone have any ideas what might be the issue here?
PJ is running the latest firmware.

In the old 4805 thread there was someone mentioning that the DVI in on the 4805 didn't handshake properly with some devices, namely ones that didn't force output. So it worked with the test equipment at IF but apparenlty not with the users computer. Maybe it's similar...

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #93 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretLuke82 View Post

Question:

I picked up a refurb 4805 from a "deal of the day" type website 45 days ago. Everything was going great for awhile. Now it seems as though the projector has lost a good bit of it's brightness.

The bulb counter was at 0 when I received it (could've been reset obviously), now it's around 90 hours.

What are the chances that they put an older bulb in mine and it's reaching it reached half-life ? Since I'm within the first 90 days will this be covered under warranty (I got the 12 monther as well) ? Should I contact InFocus, who should I talk to ?

Looks like we bought around the same time from the same place. I have about 75 hrs on it (35 days) and for now things look ok to me, but if you have lost some brightness in just 45 days, I would be interested in knowing how Infocus handles this.

Please keep us posted on how they respond.
post #94 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 10:34 AM

My "new" Refurbished 4805 got delivered last night. So as soon as I get some time this weekend i will start checking it out and you can be sure I will be posting my comments & questions here to all you very intelligent people on this thread.
post #95 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Hello everyone.

I'm going in on the 4805 bandwagon on Monday.

I do have a question though to ask of all you experts.

My current situation prevents me from hanging the projector from the ceiling since it is about 16 feet high and has an angle.

I don't want to mount the projector on the coffee table because I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old.

I plan on building a shelf that sits behind the couch approx. 4 feet high.

Should I mount the projector upside down or right side up?

My seatings is 13 feet back, projector will be 14ft back and my screen will be 100in.

Thanks everyone.
post #96 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahl View Post

Hello everyone.

I'm going in on the 4805 bandwagon on Monday.

I do have a question though to ask of all you experts.

My current situation prevents me from hanging the projector from the ceiling since it is about 16 feet high and has an angle.

I don't want to mount the projector on the coffee table because I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old.

I plan on building a shelf that sits behind the couch approx. 4 feet high.

Should I mount the projector upside down or right side up?

My seatings is 13 feet back, projector will be 14ft back and my screen will be 100in.

Thanks everyone.

How high (or low) do you want the bottom of your screen to be from the floor? A 4ft shelf with the projector right side up will project an image with the bottom of the picture at around 5ft high.

I'd recommend a shelf mount closer to 8ft with the 4805 upside down, which would put the bottom of the image around 3 feet from the floor.

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

My Networked Media/Music/DVD Server
post #97 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Everyone-

I finally picked up the M1>HDMI adapter (hooked up to my HTPC with a Gigabyte fanless 6600 via DVI out with an HDMI end) and my 4805 cannot seem to find the image when I switch to "computer." Basically the bottom left hand corner of the screen keeps flickering back and forth as it trys to find the computer image.

Can anyone help with this issue?
Is it a setting on my 6600 nvidia software? (I've tried clone, split, etc)
Is it the M1>HDMI adapter?

Thanks for any help and advice! (I've been waiting a long time for 1:1 pixel mapping and can't wait to figure it out)

Media Room - Martin Logan Theos, ML Stage, 4xML Motion 4, 4xML Motion FX, Denon 4520, CJ PV-14L Pre, Innersound ESL-300 Amp, PS Audio PWD, eD a5-350, Sharp Z30000, 130" Dalite JKP 1.3, Dune 3D, Sonos, Logitech Transporter, HTPC, 2xButtKicker, Darbee

Family Room: Panasonic 60ZT60, Martin Logan C2, Motion 15, Motion 2, Sunfire True Sub Jr, Darbee
post #98 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

I have recently developed a minor problem with my 4805. Occassionally (once or twice per movie) the fan will become noticeably louder than it usually is. When I flip the lamp to high power for 10 or 15 seconds then and back to low lamp it always fixes it.

Any theories?

I haven't cleaned the filter yet and I'm at about 250 hours (will do it very soon), could this be a problem?

Additionally - my dumba$$ roommate left MY projector on for 12 hours straight (by accident) while I was away for the weekend. Could this have caused any damage (related or unrelated to this particular problem I'm addressing)?

Thanks.
post #99 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahmoncool View Post

I haven't cleaned the filter yet and I'm at about 250 hours (will do it very soon), could this be a problem?

This could definitely be the issue -- take the plunge and clean your filters -- it's easy. I doubt your dumba$$ roomate has anything to do with this.

P4 HTPC, Infocus 4805, nVidia GeForce 6800 pixel mapped, Theater Tek 2.2, Bluegears X-Mystique 7.1 Soundcard, HK AVR-55 A/V receiver.
post #100 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 12:18 PM

Liked: 123
Quote:

Additionally - my dumba$$ roommate left MY projector on for 12 hours straight (by accident) while I was away for the weekend. Could this have caused any damage (related or unrelated to this particular problem I'm addressing)?

Thanks.

Man, I hope not. I use my PJ that long almost every day.
post #101 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 12:23 PM

Weird thing. I have a Samsung 451 HDTV tuner running into the 4805 via component. I keep its output on 720p, I think the 4805 does a better job with it than 1080i. Anyhow, I was attaching an FM antenna to my Sony receiver when...I don't know what happened, I heard my subwoofer reset like the power had been tripped, and I look at my screen and the 4805 picture is totally green.

Did an auto picture. Same thing. Powered the 4805 off and on. Still green. Checked all my channels; they were all green. Reset the Sammy and check the component cables. Green. Ran an S-Video cable from the Samsung to my CRT and got a perfect picture. So...I switched the signal from 720 to 1080 and problem gone! Untill I go back to 720 then it is green. And I do mean green. Worse than when you are in the Matrix.

Matt
post #102 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbrown View Post

Weird thing. I have a Samsung 451 HDTV tuner running into the 4805 via component. I keep its output on 720p, I think the 4805 does a better job with it than 1080i. Anyhow, I was attaching an FM antenna to my Sony receiver when...I don't know what happened, I heard my subwoofer reset like the power had been tripped, and I look at my screen and the 4805 picture is totally green.

Did an auto picture. Same thing. Powered the 4805 off and on. Still green. Checked all my channels; they were all green. Reset the Sammy and check the component cables. Green. Ran an S-Video cable from the Samsung to my CRT and got a perfect picture. So...I switched the signal from 720 to 1080 and problem gone! Untill I go back to 720 then it is green. And I do mean green. Worse than when you are in the Matrix.

Matt

I'd try your HDTV box on another hdtv at 720p and see if its green. So you can find out if the problem is with the box or the 4805.

post #103 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have recently developed a minor problem with my 4805. Occassionally (once or twice per movie) the fan will become noticeably louder than it usually is. When I flip the lamp to high power for 10 or 15 seconds then and back to low lamp it always fixes it.

Any theories?

Thanks.

Fan will get louder if the projector is getting too hot. Cleaning the filter if its dirty will give it better airflow and better cooling.

post #104 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Will do - I'll post back.
post #105 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule View Post

How high (or low) do you want the bottom of your screen to be from the floor? A 4ft shelf with the projector right side up will project an image with the bottom of the picture at around 5ft high.

I'd recommend a shelf mount closer to 8ft with the 4805 upside down, which would put the bottom of the image around 3 feet from the floor.

Hmm... maybe I should make the shelf 8 feet tall. The wife will probably go berserck.

How high are most screens from the floor? I don't want to have to look straight up to see the picture. 4-5 feet sounds kind of high.
post #106 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

3ft sounds reasonable. Do you have a 5.1/7.1 speaker set up? Most people make sure there's room for their center speaker.

It's recommended to have your eyes around the bottom 1/3 to 1/2 of the screen.

post #107 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I have 5.1 and was planning on having the center channel under the screen with a slight upwards pitch.

When sitting on my couch my head is about 3-3 1/2 feet high. So with the screen bottom at 3 feet that should work.

My couch is in the middle of the room. The room's dimensions are 10x25. That's why I was saying my wife was going to have a fit because an 8 foot shelf in the middle of the room behind the couch is going to be crazy.
post #108 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahl View Post

How high are most screens from the floor?

The quick answer to your question is about 30" off the floor.

The top (bottom) of the screen is generally about 12.5" below (above) the centre-line of the lens when the projector is ceiling (table) mounted. This distance is called the "offset".

The offset is completely dependent on how big your image is: it is 27.8% of your screen height.

Use this screen calculator to work it out exactly.

Finally, read THIS THREAD. Another fellow had EXACTLY the same question.

Here is an image from that thread:

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #109 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 01:53 PM

Is there supposed to be a small black border on the left and right side of the image? I have it set on 16:9 and the dvd player on 16:9 using 480i or 480p I have about 1" border around the image.
post #110 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 01:57 PM

Since no one helped me out... i did a bit of URL playing and found it.....

http://www.infocus.com//service/soft...sp4805v121.exe

Direct download for the latest update.
post #111 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 01:59 PM

Has anyone done a fan swap on the pj? Seems to me, one would be able to find a quieter fan?

Anyone happen to have a service manual for the PJ? Or know where to get one?
post #112 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBart View Post

Is there supposed to be a small black border on the left and right side of the image?

The image should be the same size as the white (or blue) "blank screen" you set when you press the "BLANK" button on the remote.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #113 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivo1 View Post

Has anyone done a fan swap on the pj? Seems to me, one would be able to find a quieter fan?

Anyone happen to have a service manual for the PJ? Or know where to get one?

People have mentioned the possibility but I don't believe there has been any success, try searching in the old 4805 thread (good luck with that). You might be better off building a hushbox.

post #114 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 02:22 PM

It is the same size as the blue screen, but even the blue screen has the border. It's like the image doesn't fill the whole projected area. It's almost like there is underscan on it. I wasn't sure if this was normal. My previous epson s1 had overscan so there was no border at all. Even if I hit the overscan button it doesn't fill in those borders.
post #115 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 02:26 PM

jdachik,

You might want to try an ND2 filter, it will cut your light output and people have reported that it reduces RBE.

Peace,

Geo

Chris in NC
post #116 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is the same size as the blue screen, but even the blue screen has the border. It's like the image doesn't fill the whole projected area.

I don't understand what makes you think there is a "border". The "blue screen" is the "projected area"! If the "blue screen" doesn't fill the display area on the wall, adjust the zoom lens so that it does!
Quote:

Even if I hit the overscan button it doesn't fill in those borders.

The overscan button does not change the overall size of the display, it just crops the image and enlarges it to fill.

" - MLK

post #117 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 02:37 PM

I understand the blue screen is the projected area, what I am saying is to the left and right of the blue area there is a 1" black area that is being projected from the projector and not filled with the blue screen. I can use the picture shift and shift the picture to the left so there is no black area but then the right black area is larger.
post #118 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a very small black border around the blank projected image, I'd suggest maximizing your screen area and having this light spill being covered by your screen's border.

post #119 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

to the left and right of the blue area there is a 1" black area that is being projected from the projector and not filled with the blue screen.

What is the EXACT measurement size of your display screen?

What is the EXACT measurement size of your blue screen?

The "blue screen" is your image area. If it doesn't fill your display area, adjust the zoom till it does.

If you are saying that there are black borders on the left/right and not on the top/bottom, your screen is not 16:9 ratio.

" - MLK

post #120 of 8123 Old 12-01-2005, 02:43 PM

Thanks Ja Phule, that is what I wanted to know.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus Screenplay Projector Sp4805
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page