post #181 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

I just got my refurb yesterday.
Other than that it's fine on my nearly 9ft diagonal Silver Torus (horizontally/vertically curved) with a gain probably around 10. It looks like a 9ft Plasma TV even with the contrast at zero. . Ambient light capability is unbelievable.
. . .

I was trying to find more info on the Silver Torus and ran across what appears to be your room, but under a different member name: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445225

Anyway - the setup looks like you've made a nice cabinet around it. I still don't quite get the Silver Torus setup. It seems odd to me because you're going back to curved screen (like old CRTs) and a rear-projection sized cabinet. I've never seen one up close though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Nothing could be further from the truth. Kyser has been more than tolerant. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean that corrective action hasn't already been taken.

Exactly.

I'm closing this for a while until the newbies get the point.
Stop questioning this thread! It's either this or nothing.

CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

All new 4805 threads will be deleted without response.
I will re-open this thread later today.

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #183 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
There will NOT be a 4805 only forum.
Post here or don't post at all.

This has worked perfectly well for the X1 and for many other projectors.

If you have a problem with that then take it up via PM with the Mods or Alan.
Do not try and change things by arguing with the mods publicly. Doing so will result in deleted threads and having your membership temporarily revoked.

It it a privelage to be a member in this forum. We do not allow trolling and flaming here.

Carry on...

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #184 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 10:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Please remember the Rules: No pricing other then MSRP. This thread will remain the dedicated thread for this model. Please do not take it off track and ruin it for others. If you have a complaint share it with the Admin or moderator. Do not start a separate post as that will do nothing to get the issue resolved.

Thank you.
post #185 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ok, back to the topics. How do you go about getting a Silver Torus screen built. I am very impress with the way it still shows with a 500 watt light straight at it.

Also, what mode do you use the 4805 with it. high or low? Thanks.

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #186 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 10:30 AM

Hi,
I just bought a Infocus 4805 and hang it on the ceiling. It's great, much better than my old epson powerlite s1+. I have several questions:

1. it seems that there is no way to "really" turn off the projector without climb up there and turn it off. The manual says that I can press the power button "twice", but all it does is to turn it back on again. If I press it once, it seems to be in a temporary off state but the led is still green. Now, I just first press the power remote button once, then pull the plug. Is it the right thing to do? Will it kill the projector or the lamp?

2. What's the difference between Low and High Power mode? One is brighter than the other, manual doesn't say much. Should I stay at low or high?

3. When I used epson powerlite s1+ projector, my room was just long enough to take advantage of the whole pull-down screen. But after switched to 4805, it can't use the whole screen. I already tried to zoom it using the ring as much as possible, but still can't. I can't move the projector any further back because the room is not long enough. Is there a workaround on this? Is there a way to zoom more besides the physically turning the ring?

Many thanks.
post #187 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Wireless AC switch. With this you can leave your 4805 hard switch to on. This device controls the on/off of the ac switch with a remote. Though, if there was a fluctuation in power, it may turn the 4805 back on. I'd recommend not sending the 4805 a picture source and turning on power save so that it will automatically power off after 20mins in case this happens.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

My Networked Media/Music/DVD Server
post #188 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 10:38 AM

In the manual, it says that I should press the power button twice to turn it off. What does it mean? I can press it once to go to off state, twice will turn it back on again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule View Post

Wireless AC switch. With this you can leave your 4805 hard switch to on. This device controls the on/off of the ac switch with a remote. Though, if there was a fluctuation in power, it may turn the 4805 back on. I'd recommend not sending the 4805 a picture source and turning on power save so that it will automatically power off after 20mins in case this happens.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

post #189 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there a reason/benefit to turn off the power from the switch or wireless remote setup? I keep mine on all the time. It is connected to a UPS but I do not turn off the PJ by using the switch so the fan still runs. Am I going to make the PJ life shorter by not turning it off? Thanks.

post #190 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedealmaker View Post

In the manual, it says that I should press the power button twice to turn it off. What does it mean? I can press it once to go to off state, twice will turn it back on again.

I believe the manual is incorrect. If you press the power button once, you will see a message stating that if you press it again, it will cancel the powering down of the projector.

post #191 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

Is there a reason/benefit to turn off the power from the switch or wireless remote setup? I keep mine on all the time. It is connected to a UPS but I do not turn off the PJ by using the switch so the fan still runs. Am I going to make the PJ life shorter by not turning it off? Thanks.

The main reason people want to do a hard power off is to stop the fan from running in standby. Letting the fan run can suck in more dust into the filters. As long as you keep the filter clean then it shouldn't be a problem. Also, if it is on standby, a power fluctuation can also cause the projector to turn back on, but this shouldn't be a problem if you are using a UPS.

However, using a cheap UPS (one under $500) can lead to problems of its own (I'm gonna let an AVS search find the answer to why).

post #192 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

well, my UPS is not over $500, it may be around $80 from APC. I guess I need to look up what the problems may be and consider switching to a surge protector only.

post #193 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Roy

Hi, Thanks for all answers to my question regarding brightness.

I have 2 more questions.

1. While projectorcentral 4805 review mentions that 750 lumen is pretty low and optimized screen size is only 90 inches, the author of 4805 FAQ said he need to use a ND2 filter to cut off 50% of the light otherwise it is too bright. I am really confused. I don't have screen yet.

2. I plan to get a M1-DVI adaptor as digital connection should provide the best quality. Last night I tried VGA-M1 cable came with the projector. I set resolution to 854X480 and video looks not great, and it does not show pixel to pixel sharpness I expected. It is not surprise as the cable is not bulky. Then I set laptop resolution to 1280x720 and let the projector to downsize the video to 854x480. It looks very good.

My question is which is better, DVI with 854X480 native resolution ourput, or VGA 1280x720 and projector to downsize to 854X480. The later solution would feed more details to 4805 and let the famous Faroudja to handle it.

Thanks in advance.
post #194 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

I'd like to repost a question that came up earlier.

Does anyone have a Service Manual for the 4805?!

Or does anyone have 3 or 4 of these PJ to be able to tear one completely apart so we can see pictures?!

Sean

Sean
"I do not like the cone of shame"
Boom Boom Room
post #195 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 11:59 AM

Anyone using 50ft M1-DVI? Are there any drawbacks to image quality due to the long length?. I actually could do with only 40ft. Thanks.
post #196 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Hi,

First, I'd like to welcome all the new owners of the 4805 to this forum. Second, I'd like to thank AVS, Alan and the moderators for this incredible resource. I knew *nothing* about projectors before I hung out on this thread.

Third, and most importantly, for those new owners, *please* read through the 4805 FAQ that is linked in JaPhule's signature. It is really helpful, and will answer a lot of the basic questions we see over and over.

I'm no expert like Kras or anything, but many of these questions have been asked literally almost a hundred times in the old thread. We have really great folks who will answer them again and again, but since JaPhule wrote up such a great FAQ, let's start there! Then you can ask a more focused question, and we (they) can give you a better answer.

Thanks, and happy watching-

Wes
post #197 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post

Hi, Thanks for all answers to my question regarding brightness.

I have 2 more questions.

1. While projectorcentral 4805 review mentions that 750 lumen is pretty low and optimized screen size is only 90 inches, the author of 4805 FAQ said he need to use a ND2 filter to cut off 50% of the light otherwise it is too bright. I am really confused. I don't have screen yet.

2. I plan to get a M1-DVI adaptor as digital connection should provide the best quality. Last night I tried VGA-M1 cable came with the projector. I set resolution to 854X480 and video looks not great, and it does not show pixel to pixel sharpness I expected. It is not surprise as the cable is not bulky. Then I set laptop resolution to 1280x720 and let the projector to downsize the video to 854x480. It looks very good.

My question is which is better, DVI with 854X480 native resolution ourput, or VGA 1280x720 and projector to downsize to 854X480. The later solution would feed more details to 4805 and let the famous Faroudja to handle it.

Thanks in advance.

If you frequent AVS enough, you will find quickly that projectorcentral's reviews aren't exactly the greatest reviews out there.

The 4805 is 600 video optimized lumens. This is the lumens you will likely get (give +-10%) out of the box since the 4805 is well calibrated out of box. Take a look at another projector like the Sony HS51 that claims 1200 ANSI lumens that only puts out 250 video optimized lumens. In a dedicated home theater set up, you really don't need that many lumens. Most people only need around 300 lumens in their set up. You may see business projectors out with 2000+ lumens, and that's because these are presentation projectors that need to work well in rooms with lots of light, requiring more lumens and at the same time killing color accuracy (as this is not needed for presentations).

The main advantage of the Faroudja is its deinterlacing processing. Deinterlacing is done when you feed the 4805 a 480i (interlaced) signal to be deinterlaced to 480p by Faroudja. Feeding a signal from dvi or vga will be sending a progressive input, meaning no Faroudja deinterlacing (but Faroudja is being used to scale). With a dvi/vga connection, your pc is doing the deinterlacing, depending on what software you use, this can be a good or bad thing.

post #198 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

well, my UPS is not over $500, it may be around $80 from APC. I guess I need to look up what the problems may be and consider switching to a surge protector only.

This is more or less true, if you are extremely anal (in my opinion). I guess if you owned a really expensive pj you may want a kick butt UPS, but I know (and have seen on these boards) plenty of people that use a standard UPS and it works just fine. In my opinion, you're better off using one than nothing at all incase of brown outs. Don't want that bulb popping on you, from the power fluctuating on and off.

I've used a $30 UPS on my PJ for quite some time now and have never had an issue. Our house seems to have a lot of power sags in the summer when the central air is running, and this UPS saved me a lot of pain from the bulb having problems.
post #199 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

DVI wins in a no contest.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #200 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena View Post

DVI wins in a no contest.

And I thought you've disappeared.

post #201 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

In the old 4805 thread there was someone mentioning that the DVI in on the 4805 didn't handshake properly with some devices, namely ones that didn't force output. So it worked with the test equipment at IF but apparenlty not with the users computer. Maybe it's similar...

I was the poster of that. What happened was the PJ broke, it would not handshake with the computer so the computer did not know there was anything attached and so the video card would not output to the PJ. It was not an issue with not handshaking with some devices, it just broke is all.

The issue was InFocus could not fix that kind of problem according to the tech because all they had was a DVI sig generator and it doesn't require handshaking to work. So they would not be able to tell a problem existed.
post #202 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4uxit66 View Post

Devedander,
from the LG to the M1 on the 4805 I get the following message only " This disc is not available for viewing using the DVI monitor without HDCP capability. You may be able to view this disc using a different connector and removing the DVI cable." I get this error with any dvd disc I try, but yet when I try the same DVD discs on my laptop outpu the DVI port to connect to the M1 on the 4805 it works. Does anyone know if the 4805 is HDCP compliant ?

From what I was told, the 4805 is not HDCP compliant nor are many displays. You'll see more and more problems like this as the future closes in on us. Hollywood just doesn't want us to copy movies and this is one way to prevent it. Windows Vista will support this standard and there will be a time when we'll all have to buy new displays including monitors for computers to show content like this.

To forgo the problem use component cables to watch your DVD for now. There is to my knowledge no solution, no hack etc.
post #203 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

projectorcentral 4805 review mentions that 750 lumen is pretty low

PC is full of it.

Quote:

I set resolution to 854X480 and video looks not great, and it does not show pixel to pixel sharpness I expected. It is not surprise as the cable is not bulky.

"Bulk", per se, has nothing to do with it.

Quote:

which is better, DVI with 854X480 native resolution ourput, or VGA 1280x720 and projector to downsize to 854X480. The later solution would feed more details to 4805 and let the famous Faroudja to handle it.

DVI is a digital signal and is far, far superior.

VGA is a progressive analog signal. Also, all connections via the M1-DA on the SP4805 bypass the Faroudja filter.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #204 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummings66 View Post

the 4805 is not HDCP compliant

The DVI input on the SP4805 IS HDCP COMPLIANT!

Where do people get this stuff??!!

Has no-one got the ability to go to the Infocus web-site and determine these things for themselves before making such fatuous statements??

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #205 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 02:05 PM

Wondering if anyone can clarify this for me.

I'm finally getting around to buying a ND2 filter for my pj. The store I spoke with will order me one but the salesman referred to it as "62mm Hoya Super HMC ND2".

I just want to make sure that that is the correct model, because I don't recall seeing the "super" part mentioned in any of the hundreds of posts on this filter.

I assume it's the same thing but want to be sure.

thanks,
jmac
post #206 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 02:06 PM
X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule View Post

The 4805 is 600 video optimized lumens. This is the lumens you will likely get (give +-10%) out of the box since the 4805 is well calibrated out of box. Take a look at another projector like the Sony HS51 that claims 1200 ANSI lumens

Is that on high or low bulb setting? Can you provide the lumens for the other bulb setting as well please?
post #207 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

The DVI input on the SP4805 IS HDCP COMPLIANT!

Where do people get this stuff??!!

Has no-one got the ability to go to the Infocus web-site and determine these things for themselves before making such fatuous statements??

Cavu,

Infocus' official statement is that the 4805 is indeed HDCP compiant, but HDCP problems are tricky to troubleshoot, because everybody pretty much claims that their DVI input or output is HDCP compiant.

Of my components connecting to the 4805 via DVI, only my OPPO dvd player will correctly handshake with it. My Zenith 318 DVD over DVI and my SA 8300 HD DVR box over DVI both refuse to work with the 4805. Now the SA is known to have HDCP issues, but SA doesn't really acknowledge that fact either.

It's possible that newer firmware on the 4805 has improved it's ability to play well with other HDCP folks, but for now I've got my HD box connected over component and my dvd player over DVI. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy as a clam with this setup, but I did need to find a new dvd player that did well over DVI, since my original plan was to connect the 318 over component (no problelm) and the 8300 over DVI, which locked up all the time. That didn't work, so I tried 8300 over component (no problem) and the 318 over DVI, which locked up. So I ended up with the OPPO over DVI, which works great, and I'm happy!

Wes
post #208 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac35 View Post

Wondering if anyone can clarify this for me.

I'm finally getting around to buying a ND2 filter for my pj. The store I spoke with will order me one but the salesman referred to it as "62mm Hoya Super HMC ND2".

I just want to make sure that that is the correct model, because I don't recall seeing the "super" part mentioned in any of the hundreds of posts on this filter.

I assume it's the same thing but want to be sure.

thanks,
jmac

The one I bought from B&H states:
62mm Neutral Density ND 2x (HMC) Multi-Coated Glass Filter.

post #209 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X View Post

Is that on high or low bulb setting? Can you provide the lumens for the other bulb setting as well please?

600 lumens is on low, it is 750 (as quoted in specs) in high.

post #210 of 8123 Old 12-02-2005, 02:38 PM

My 4805 arrived today. My initial plans may have to change a little but I wanted to check with you guys first. My wife wasn't excited about hanging it in the room so I thought I would hang it right inside my office and create a hole so it could shine through. This would be a distance of 19 feet. I would like the screen to be 6 feet wide (our wall is limited by a few things. Currently at 19 feet the image is about 9 feet wide. So... my question to you guys, is there a way to make the image smaller besides the zoom thing?

I'm projecting this on our beige wall and it is simply unbelievable.

Thanks in advance for all the help now and in the future.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus Screenplay Projector Sp4805
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page