Z2 Warranty Denied (Sound Familiar?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 165 Old 12-01-2005, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 'infamous' Sanyo warranty denial saga continues:

After noticing blue streaks across everything, I went to the Sanyo website and requested a QRP ticket. I received the fax form back the next day, was impressed, and thought that getting the issue resolved would be painless. Wrong!

After sending the projector back in its' original box along with the QRP form and a copy of the purchase receipt (from an authorized local Sanyo dealer) I waited to hear something back from Sanyo. I checked the QRP status page online the following day and was happy to see that Sanyo had received my projector and it was 'under review'. I waited several more days and checked the status a couple of times per day hoping to get some news. Since the QRP page says that most repairs are turned around in 24 hours but may take up to 72 hours I was starting to get concerned since they had already had the unit for about a week.

How could the unit ever be repaired and returned in 24-72 hours when it took much longer than that for them to even deny the warranty repairs in the first place?

I called them several times and was forced to leave a voice mail message each time for David Penrod and waited to hear something back. A couple more days went by and I called again since I did not hear anything from them and the QRP status had still not been updated. The following day (today), I came home to find the dreaded QRP Out-Of-Warranty paperwork sitting in the fax machine. They want $500 to repair the unit claiming: DUSTY FILTERS BURNED LCD PANELS.

At this point, I was ready to scream. The filter is cleaned every two weeks although it has NEVER been dirty and does not appear to actually filter much to start with. Additionally, before sending the unit for repair, the filter was cleaned and the unit was blown out and was dust free. I blew it out hoping that there was dust or something on the optic path causing the problem and it would negate the need to send it in for repair. After receiving the DUSTY FILTER warranty denial I immediately threw up a red flag as I knew that the unit was spotless when it left and that there is NO WAY they could make that claim.

I called and left yet another message with David Penrod to discuss the issue but have not heard back yet. Thankfully, I thought to check these forums before talking with him and have found the numerous threads with other owners who have the exact same issues I did and received the EXACT same song and dance from Sanyo regarding the repairs.

I purchased the Sanyo due to the excellent reviews and postings from other AVS members and the 3-year warranty. The warranty was one of the biggest considerations when the projector was purchased. I nearly went with the Studio Experience version of the Z2 instead because SE is supposed to be much easier to deal with on warranty issues and because of their dead pixel policy but in the end elected to go with the Sanyo unit. I regret that choice now but hindsight is 20/20, right?

I wish I had found the warranty issue threads prior to sending the unit in for QRP, as I would have gone through my dealer instead. I figured that going directly through Sanyo would be the fastest route esp. after reading the 24-hour average turnaround for QRP. I figured that I would have it back in a couple of days and instead a week later I am now in the boat of others Sanyo has attempted to screw over for warranty repairs.

Thankfully, I am now armed with the knowledge provided by other AVS members and have confidence to stand my ground and insist that they do the right thing by honoring the warranty. It is unthinkable that Sanyo still continues playing these same games with their customers. I can only imagine that the logic behind the warranty denial is that they probably trap a fair number of suckers who shrug off the $500 repair fee and give them a credit card to proceed. I will not be one of those people though.

I had much more respect for Sanyo before this all happened and am in awe that they are still trying to lay out the trap to unsuspecting owners. That is simply bad business and I will be very careful when considering ANY future Fisher or Sanyo purchases as a result.

Anyone considering a new Sanyo projector should seriously consider other options and be fully prepared to deal with similar insanity if they ever need to deal directly with Sanyo for repairs.

If I had it to do over again I would have gone through my dealer for repairs without question. Anyone else needing repairs is strongly advised to do the same and NOT go to Sanyo directly if at all possible. Sanyo does not seem willing to play the same games with their dealers so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 165 Old 12-02-2005, 05:05 AM

Liked: 12
Well, at least they acknowledged that the unit was defective. In my case they denied it till the end.
Persistence is the key with SANYO. After realizing i was not going away, they replaced my PJ. (with which i'm extremely happy).
I feel for ya, but I'm not sure what the dealer could have done in your case? As far as I know all repairs are done by SANYO.
good luck btw, and keep updating us !
Zed
post #3 of 165 Old 12-02-2005, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majozx3 View Post

Well, at least they acknowledged that the unit was defective. In my case they denied it till the end.
Persistence is the key with SANYO. After realizing i was not going away, they replaced my PJ. (with which i'm extremely happy).
I feel for ya, but I'm not sure what the dealer could have done in your case? As far as I know all repairs are done by SANYO.
good luck btw, and keep updating us !
Zed

Doesn't Sanyo realize how damaging reports like these are to their long-term success? Penny wise, pound foolish.

P4 HTPC, Infocus 4805, nVidia GeForce 6800 pixel mapped, Theater Tek 2.2, Bluegears X-Mystique 7.1 Soundcard, HK AVR-55 A/V receiver.
post #4 of 165 Old 12-02-2005, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC-P View Post

Doesn't Sanyo realize how damaging reports like these are to their long-term success? Penny wise, pound foolish.

Exactly. I would never buy a Sanyo for this very reason.
The authorized nationwide repair center for Panny (Heartland) is FANTATSTIC - as well as very very personable. They don't even use an automated voice system - so when you call them - you talk to a live person from the get go! They really do care for the customer (and it shows from my personal experiences).
post #5 of 165 Old 12-02-2005, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Exactly. I would never buy a Sanyo for this very reason.
The authorized nationwide repair center for Panny (Heartland) is FANTATSTIC - as well as very very personable. They don't even use an automated voice system - so when you call them - you talk to a live person from the get go! They really do care for the customer (and it shows from my personal experiences).

I like Panasonic as well but the Panasonic warranty is only a year so at least with Sanyo, there is a chance the projector will be repaired or replaced after a year. Neither warranty is particularly good given the relatively high rate of problems seen with some of these LCD projectors after the first year. I have only a little over a year on my Panasonic PT-L500U and 450 hours with no remaining warranty although it is working great so far.

Chris
post #6 of 165 Old 12-02-2005, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Chris, If you are worried why not use the rebate monies from the Panasonic to buy an extended warranty? Be sure to get one that includes blub replacement.
post #7 of 165 Old 12-02-2005, 03:12 PM

I guess I wonder if Sanyo know about all these threads here... I would personally consider Sanyo after reading all the horror stories. At least other manufacturers honors their warranty even if it is shorter...

Sorry to hear you lucked out mediastorm. Remember to give us an status update later...
post #8 of 165 Old 12-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesiulung View Post

I guess I wonder if Sanyo know about all these threads here... I would personally consider Sanyo after reading all the horror stories. At least other manufacturers honors their warranty even if it is shorter...

Sorry to hear you lucked out mediastorm. Remember to give us an status update later...

They know about them. I have called them personally and discussed it with them and I have also emailed them links to these type of threads. They know all right.
post #9 of 165 Old 12-02-2005, 05:15 PM

I've found these Sanyo threads very interesting, especially as the owner of a two year old z2 and as someone who is going tonight to help set up a relatives z4 that he bought on my recommendation. The pattern (a small but reapeated pattern) we see is that the polarizers fail and then warranty is denied because of alleged failure to clean the filter. Others have written in to state that Sonys warranty service did well by them. So, the question we should ask is: Is there anyone out there who's polarizers failed that got the repair covered? The answer to this question I think, will do a lot to settle this debate.
The question is, again, has anyone had a polarizer failure on a z2 (or z1/3/4) fail and have Sanyo repair it under warranty?

Art T
post #10 of 165 Old 12-03-2005, 11:09 AM

I'm in the exact same situation. Refusal to clean and replace polarizer plates under warranty. Try going through your dealer, they may have contacts that may be able to help you. If that fails just get a lawyer to send them a threatening letter, honestly that's the easiest solution in my opinion. Refuse to pay them for anything- cleaning included. The filter they shipped the units out with are pathetic and obviously defective. Let them pay for their mistakes not the consumers.

EDIT: This also should be acknowledged by the powers that be at AVS. At least make one of these numerous Sanyo warranty threads a sticky. AVS has enormous power to get this issue acknowledged by Sanyo and the dealers who sell them. This is a defective product and should be named as such by AVS for the benefit of the community.
post #11 of 165 Old 12-04-2005, 02:28 AM
xj8

Defective product???? This is a cheap ( in reference to price) projector with some great options and features that had been one of the top sellers for Sanyo. I have a Z2 for over a year now, 2300 hrs on the first bulb and it's still going strong. Its been left on for two days straight without damage (I have teenagers) I understand in every production line you have some defects, but to call this a defective product - not by this owner. I will probably put in the free bulb I got for this projector when the original ever dies, run it for over a year and then upgrade to the Z8.
post #12 of 165 Old 12-04-2005, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I don't believe the Sanyo projectors are defective products,however, I do believe that the service is defective. There should be a class action suite to make them honor their warranty. No one deserves this kind of treatment. The original filter on the Z2 was defective shown by the fact that Sanyo replaced it with an upgrade. This alone should make Sanyo responsible for any defect or dirt that got into the projector.
post #13 of 165 Old 12-04-2005, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Remeber, there's always Epson...with a superior warranty (with a premium...you'll pay $500 more than for the Sanyo). If you want to buy Panasonic, always remember that purchases with the American Express card give you an additional year waranty after the warranty is done.
post #14 of 165 Old 12-04-2005, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga View Post

Remeber, there's always Epson...with a superior warranty (with a premium...you'll pay $500 more than for the Sanyo). If you want to buy Panasonic, always remember that purchases with the American Express card give you an additional year waranty after the warranty is done.

Actually $625 more than the current Z4 pricing at avscience sponser. And most major credit cards now offer extra year warranty, not just AE.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #15 of 165 Old 12-05-2005, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

After calling and leaving another message late last week, I received a letter in the mail from Sanyo on Saturday.

Inside the letter was a form to decline non-warranty repairs and to have my projector returned to me for a $45 inspection fee and shipping.

If I didn't want to do that, it also include another checkbox for Sanyo to discard or recycle my projector instead.

I thought that it was odd that everything else has been sent from them via Fax except this one and more frustrating is the fact that they have not returned a single call yet.

Zip, zilch, nada.. Numerous calls to them have all been ignored entirely. Regardless of warranty status they should at least return calls to customers. It appears that they don't want to discuss the issue or even attempt to obtain any other relevant details with regards to cleaning frequency or usage of the projector.

It's hard to tell when I'll ever get my projector back and what it will ultimately cost to get it working again. It's certainly a far cry from the 24hr average turnaround QRP as stated on their website.

Their entire approach to warranty repairs of this nature seems borderline criminal and at the very least demonstrates a total lack of customer concern.

What a wonderful Christmas present from Sanyo. Not!

I'll keep everyone updated as this continues to progress. I'm going to try getting my dealer involved to see if that helps.
post #16 of 165 Old 12-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Tell them your contacting a lawyer see if that works. You never know.

Wife factor? Hell, my electronics keep me warm at night.
post #17 of 165 Old 12-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

This is insane. There needs to be some sort of legal action here.
post #18 of 165 Old 12-05-2005, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykretentiv View Post

This is insane. There needs to be some sort of legal action here.

Amen. This kind of CUSTOMER DISSERVICE from Sanyo needs to be broadcast so that future buyers will aware. Amazing how companies don't even try to return phone calls. Buyers beware indeed...
post #19 of 165 Old 12-05-2005, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Whatever I tell them it wil have to be via fax or US Mail as they still won't return any calls. That certainly multiplies my frustration by about a factor of 10.

I've contacted my dealer to see if he has any ideas and will update the thread again once I hear back from him or any other news surfaces.
post #20 of 165 Old 12-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Well, if the dealer told you that it came with a 2 year warranty they could be named as a defendant in a lawsuit. I'd tell them that and see if that doens't light a fire under thier ass to get something going with sanyo.

It sucks to be ass like that but then again, you purchased a product expecting warranty work so here sanyo is really the ass.

post #21 of 165 Old 12-05-2005, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gushy View Post

Tell them your contacting a lawyer see if that works. You never know.

If it isn't resolved quickly, I WILL be contacting a lawyer. It just so happens that we have several lawyers and a judge in the family.

I won't involve them unless it is absolutely necessary but certainly do have that option readily available.

I'm hoping that Sanyo will resolve it on their own without having to force the issue further. I am an optimist (to a fault).
post #22 of 165 Old 12-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

It's always nice to get free legal advice. Sometimes a phone call from an attorney is all it takes to scare them straight.

post #23 of 165 Old 12-05-2005, 10:47 AM

Not to be off topic here but speaking of customer service, my friend bought an Infocus 7200 sometime ago and had issues with the unit. After the 2nd replacement from the dealer died, he went directly to Infocus and explained the situation. Infocus then replaced 7200 with the new 7205 model for free. Now that's what you call a customer service. And Infocus now got a pied piper for their company.
post #24 of 165 Old 12-05-2005, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enier View Post

Not to be off topic here but speaking of customer service, my friend bought an Infocus 7200 sometime ago and had issues with the unit. After the 2nd replacement from the dealer died, he went directly to Infocus and explained the situation. Infocus then replaced 7200 with the new 7205 model for free. Now that's what you call a customer service. And Infocus now got a pied piper for their company.

If Infocus would replace my Z2, I'd have a ton of nice things to say about them too.
post #25 of 165 Old 12-05-2005, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

It should be abundantly clear to followers of this forum that Sanyo's three year warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on when it pertains to the common heat related polarizer and panel failures that will occur at some point in the LCD lifecycle. Sanyo routinely denies warranty coverage for these failures, whether they occur at 1 year or at 3 years.

So, what does that mean? If you are a light user (500 hrs/yr and under), then you may be OK with a Sanyo until you are ready to upgrade in 2 to 3 years. If you are a moderate user (500-1000 hrs/yr), then you should plan on facing this issue sometime during year 2 or 3. If you are a heavy user (the projector being your primary display), then I wouldn't buy a Sanyo, length of "warranty" notwithstanding.
post #26 of 165 Old 12-05-2005, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

There appears to be new filtration system with the Z4, including a second filter. Not sure if this was also on the Z2 and Z3. And there are the dust blow holes for cleaning the panels to help prevent heat buildup. So the Z4 is in untested water as far as the Z2 problem is concerned.

Some other pj's have their own warranty problems. Great customer service but no parts in stock or defective parts still being shipped out. It's a crap shoot for all of us.

I would always seek the dealer's support on these matters and not sure if original poster talked about any dealer assistance.

It took 5 1/2 years (out of warranty for sure) for this problem to occur on my Sony lcd, and Sony wants $5000 to repair/replace the prism block, despite the fact that their new pjs retail at $3500.

Being a light to moderate user, I took my chances and ordered the Z4, especially at the new pricing point. Even if I had to pay the $500 to fix a Sanyo warrantyless, nonservice problem in a few years, the total cost of the Z4 pj would still be closer to the selling price a month ago and more than 20% less than msrp.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #27 of 165 Old 12-05-2005, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I heard back from my dealer who is in turn contacting the regional Sanyo rep for resolution.

My dealer is great and now I remember exactly why I purchased the Z2 from him in the first place. I'll start with my dealer for any future service without question.

I'll post another update once I hear anything new.
post #28 of 165 Old 12-05-2005, 05:41 PM

???

I dont understand the reason Sanyo has chosen to disregard their customers. I really had my eyes on the Z4, but no way now. Not until David Penrod and Renee Garcia are standing in the employment office.

xj8, nice to hear your not one of the unfortunate victims. Lets hope your luck holds out.

Sanyo continues to offer a three year "warranty". They must think we're a joke.

-Ric
post #29 of 165 Old 12-11-2005, 06:53 PM

FWIW I just sent my Z2 to Sanyo this week. From Ohio to California and back in 68 hours and fixed with no problems or argument. I had the dreaded blue polarizer issue. They replaced the polarizer and the blue lcd panel. They had the unit somwhere between 2-5 hours before they had it fixed and shipped back.

I had 2500+ hours on it in 16 months.

Guess I was one of the lucky ones.

Go Bucks!!!
post #30 of 165 Old 12-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

That's good news. How often did you clean it?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page