Infocus IN72-IN74-IN76 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4269 Old 02-01-2006, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thanks Kras. You've always been spot on with your advice and better yet its free

Re this talk about color wheels and design approaches. Frankly, JeffKB hit the right note for me, a 4805 with more resolution, quieter at price that doesn't give me a nose bleed. I shopped and compared many projectors before buying the 4805, I suspect Infocus will differentiate themselves again by getting all the little things right.

From what little I've read, I can't help but think colorwheels are transitional technology to LEDs anyway. I remember reading about the breakthrough to produce a blue LED a few years back. Back then it was said that was the only thing missing from being able to produce full color images via LED.

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4269 Old 02-01-2006, 10:24 AM

Liked: 10
Interesting comments about BrilliantColor. I will point out, however that anecdotal reports of the HD72 and LF AN110 from CES were generally positive (although it is probably hard to tell in such a venue). Moreover, cene4home's review of the HC3000 was quite positive.

In particular, the cene4home review makes me think it may not be all that bad of a thing.

I suspect, like most things, personal preference will rule the day. It is nice there are going to be at least 5-6 different implementations of 720p DLP projectors out there (HC3000, AN110, xv-z3000, HD72, updated 7700, and IN76).

Ahh, we're planning on finishing the basement this spring, so the timing looks perfect for me
post #453 of 4269 Old 02-01-2006, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

BrilliantColor seems more like a personal preference. I haven't followed the HC3000 lately but I remember a lot of owners awhile back ended up turning the feature off.

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #454 of 4269 Old 02-01-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasmuzik View Post

He did say Video vs. PC DVI preset would have to wait for firmware update since the first release autodetects (likely screwey with the HTPC), But he also promised us the magic numbers from the lab. Hopefully at first release so I don't go around telling people use 66/39 only to find out the SP4805 was different!

I have some news related to this issue. The IN74 and IN76 will have a video DVI toggle control built in from the beginning of production. We did not quite make it with the IN72 (it will ship a little earlier than the others), so that will still require a software maintenance release.
post #455 of 4269 Old 02-01-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

For those wishing to blaze a trail with the IN76 and be the first on the block to own one, an authorized online dealer is showing 3/13 as the expected arrival date. FWIW.
post #456 of 4269 Old 02-02-2006, 04:39 PM

Bob i got a simple question for ya, can i use any of these projectors upside down so as to get the projection shooting down. My screen is very low so this is important. Thanks.
post #457 of 4269 Old 02-02-2006, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

FlyinngBig........

When a projector is ceiling mounted it is in the "inverted" position. This allows the offset to move the image down from the top of the ceiling or part ceiling part wall where it would probably wind up if you had this type of projector mounted let's say high on a shelf, but right-side-up.

There are some projectors with what is called a "zero-offset" which when mounted high are still right-side-up (or higher priced DLP projectors with "lens-shift"), but this projector has a fixed-offset to allow it to be table mounted (low) when right-side-up and inverted when ceiling mounted.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Use Password = AVSForum
post #458 of 4269 Old 02-03-2006, 01:50 PM

Well, looks like the first HD72s are here and the users have confirmed a 37% offset... given my shelf mount, it looks like Bob and the IN76 get my vote even before the comparison reviews are in.
post #459 of 4269 Old 02-05-2006, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams View Post

The "Letterbox" resizing mode can be used for anamorphic lenses. This mode chops the top and bottom 1/8 of the image off and stretches the remaining image to fit the 16:9 display. Typically it would be used for non-anamorphic DVDs but it stretches anamorphic content the same amount that an anamorphic lens should unstretch it. It works the same way for all input types.

Bob - just to clarify that bolded statement, are you saying that it works for all types of input AND all resolutions. I'm planning on running 720p via HDMI and I just want to confirm the letterbox mode will do the 33% vertical stretch for anamorphic content with that setup. Thanks.
post #460 of 4269 Old 02-05-2006, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKB View Post

Bob - just to clarify that bolded statement, are you saying that it works for all types of input AND all resolutions. I'm planning on running 720p via HDMI and I just want to confirm the letterbox mode will do the 33% vertical stretch for anamorphic content with that setup. Thanks.

Letterbox resize works for all inputs and all resolutions that the product supports. There were some resolutions where it did not work in the SP4805, but these have been corrected in the new product line.
post #461 of 4269 Old 02-05-2006, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdayton View Post

Do you expect OOTB calibration to be spot on again? Over component? HDMI? DVI? It would be great if you had presets built in to adjust for different DVI source types...

Or is there something in HDMI that auto adjusts input signal?

The 4805 was stunning over component out of the box. I am still using the defaults and have not needed to make any adjustments. I can't say the same for DVI. Your gain/offset settings were really on target but I still found myself tweaking.

The out-of-box calibration is better than that of the SP4805. Since we are using new ASICs for the AD converter, video decoder, and HDMI receiver, we spent a huge amount of time making sure that the blacks were black, the whites were white, and the colors were correct for every single source. We also purchased more test equipment for validating that everything is right.
post #462 of 4269 Old 02-05-2006, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Bob, if you keep this up, the IN76 is going to take a big bite out of the sales of the SP7210. I can only imagine what it's replacement will be able to do.

I have a question on the use of the zoom function of the lens. I have no doubt that the IN76 will provide a quality picture no matter what amount of zoom on the lens is used, but for optimal PQ, should we strive to use the least amount of zoom possible ? This has been stated as fact by many posters and others have said it doesn't matter.

Is it really better to use the least amount of zoom for the absolute best PQ ?
post #463 of 4269 Old 02-05-2006, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfarmer View Post

Bob, if you keep this up, the IN76 is going to take a big bite out of the sales of the SP7210. I can only imagine what it's replacement will be able to do.

I have a question on the use of the zoom function of the lens. I have no doubt that the IN76 will provide a quality picture no matter what amount of zoom on the lens is used, but for optimal PQ, should we strive to use the least amount of zoom possible ? This has been stated as fact by many posters and others have said it doesn't matter.

Is it really better to use the least amount of zoom for the absolute best PQ ?

.......... and to even make it more confusing, with some new projectors you can only get the full lumen capability of the projector by having the zoom lens wide-open... so it appears that the lens is working similar to a camera "f" stop.

How does the IN76 fit into this........ do you get the best focus with the least amount of zoom, but the most light with full zoom?

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

- Use Password = AVSForum
post #464 of 4269 Old 02-05-2006, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

How does the IN76 fit into this........ do you get the best focus with the least amount of zoom, but the most light with full zoom?

The lens has a variable f-number, as pretty much all lenses in projectors in this price class do. What this means is that, similar to camera lenses, for maximum contrast and best focus the picture should be at its smallest, but for maximum brightness the picture should be at its largest.
post #465 of 4269 Old 02-05-2006, 01:59 PM

Bob, what are you doing working on Super Bowl Sunday??
post #466 of 4269 Old 02-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Am I the only one that couldn't find this because it was finally stickied?? Anyway, thanks to the mods for doing that. Won't have to search for it from here on out.
post #467 of 4269 Old 02-06-2006, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Bob,

Since this is a new platform, have there been any major changes to the firmware and setup interface that would be of interest? Any new features or tweaking capabilities?

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #468 of 4269 Old 02-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

From the HD72 thread sounded like the HD72 did not handle mpeg compression very well at all, we need to hear more, but I can't have tons of moving little squares. I though DCDi did very well with Mpeg 2, Like I said we need to hear more than one person but if that becomes reaccuring theam, and the IN76 handles it better then I bet the IN76 sells better and the prices will drop even further. Can't wait for the first hand reviews of the IN76.
post #469 of 4269 Old 02-06-2006, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Will the three new Infocus PJ's accept a 1080p signal at 60 Hz (and other refresh rates)? Some high def. players (such as from the Blu-Ray camp) will be outputting 1080p at 60 Hz rather than just sending the original video rates right off the disc as it is decoded (I guess the chips they are using will first apply 2:3 pulldown from 24 fps encoded material, and then basically double the created video frame rate before sending it out over HDMI). I didn't see any player specs. that specified you could output native source "refresh rates" (although it's based on frame rates) as encoded on the disc over HDMI if you wanted to.

I don't count most of the HD-DVD players in my calculations because they only output 1080i.

Dan

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #470 of 4269 Old 02-06-2006, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Dan, this was posted by Bob earlier in this thread :

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Will your new projectors accept all forms of 1920x1080p signals from the new Blu-Ray and HD-DVD format players (those that properly output 1080p video, that is)?

Yes. They all accept 1080p at 60 Hz and 24 Hz.

post #471 of 4269 Old 02-06-2006, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

The lens has a variable f-number, as pretty much all lenses in projectors in this price class do. What this means is that, similar to camera lenses, for maximum contrast and best focus the picture should be at its smallest, but for maximum brightness the picture should be at its largest.

OK, since you bring it up ... I'm planning to use at minimum zoom with an anamorphic, so are the lumens outputs referenced previously at max zoom, and if so do you have any idea of the reduction at minimum? Since the zoom range is so limited (relative to camera glass) I had presumed it's a small fraction of an f-stop and therefore of relatively little impact.
post #472 of 4269 Old 02-07-2006, 12:36 AM

Hi all. This IN76 projector has REALLY caught my attention. I was looking hopefully at the Optoma HD72, but the massive 37% offset puts it out of contention for me

First, I must say, Bob - simply amazing. The amount of information you've offered is just mind blowing...I'm so impressed that I really hope I can buy from Infocus, if only to support the company for which you work!

I'm sorry to ask you yet another question, but I still need to know something about the lens offset to determine if the IN76 will work in my room...so here it is

I know people figured out that the offset is 15.59% for the IN76.

First...is this accurate? Not that I doubt the people here, but I'd really like to here the official lens offset number from the horse's mouth, so to speak

And second - let's say I have the IN76 ceiling mounted (inverted, of course). When I use the zoom, will the top of the image move higher and lower on the wall as the zoom changes, or will the bottom of the image move higher and lower? Or will both the top AND bottom move up and down as the center of the image remains constant?

I'm working with a low-ish ceiling and just need to know if I can make this projector work in my room

Thank you so very much for any reply and for all the replies you've made so far, Bob!

Jon
post #473 of 4269 Old 02-07-2006, 02:57 AM

I have the same question as Jon.

Howard
post #474 of 4269 Old 02-07-2006, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

SO,
The IN76 is 33% brighter than the 4805. It is quieter in high power than the 4805 in low power. More accurate OOTB than the 4805. A video DVI toggle switch and HDMI as well. Calibrated 3000:1 CR. An offset that allows me to have the size screen I want without the screen being too close to the floor (I MUST have my eyes 1/3 of the way up the screen - ever so slightly looking up).

And I have loved my 4805.

DAMN! The WAF has been wanting a new car. Anyone with any ideas how I can convince her we need a new PJ instead of a dependable car for her?

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. (Winston Churchill)
post #475 of 4269 Old 02-07-2006, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

AND, it's $1000 more than the 4805 was when first released.
post #476 of 4269 Old 02-07-2006, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do not believe warranty policies are ever set in stone so if there are good reasons to change them we will.

Any new news on this? We can wish can't we?

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

post #477 of 4269 Old 02-07-2006, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I'd like at least a 2 year warranty with zero-dead pixel policy like Optoma!

Dan

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #478 of 4269 Old 02-07-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealgeno View Post

DAMN! The WAF has been wanting a new car. Anyone with any ideas how I can convince her we need a new PJ instead of a dependable car for her?

How about a nice combination of IN76 / PS3. I hear there some nice new car games coming:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/image_...&sid=undefined

Who needs a new car when you can have this in 1080p ? And you get a "free" PS3 out of the deal.
post #479 of 4269 Old 02-07-2006, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Teller View Post

I know people figured out that the offset is 15.59% for the IN76. First...is this accurate? Not that I doubt the people here, but I'd really like to here the official lens offset number from the horse's mouth, so to speak

Yes. The offset from the lens centerline to the top of the image (when ceiling mounted) is 15.59% of the image height.

Quote:

And second - let's say I have the IN76 ceiling mounted (inverted, of course). When I use the zoom, will the top of the image move higher and lower on the wall as the zoom changes, or will the bottom of the image move higher and lower? Or will both the top AND bottom move up and down as the center of the image remains constant?

The first answer also answers the 2nd question if you think about the geometry a little bit. When you zoom, the image height changes so the offset changes by the same amount, but it is always 15.59% of the height of the image. To put it another way, if your projected image is 1 meter tall then the offset is 0.1559 meters. If your projected image is 1 foot tall then the offset is 0.1559 feet.
post #480 of 4269 Old 02-07-2006, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule View Post

Any new news on this? We can wish can't we?

If you go to our web site we have given the option of purchasing an additional 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years of coverage. You can also purchase a 1 year lamp warranty with no limitation in number of hours used. This is currently the way we have things structured. If you do not like it please let your dealer or retailer know.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus Sp Lamp 025 Projector Lamp For In72 In74 In76 , Infocus , Infocus X1 Video Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page