Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4269 Old 03-03-2006, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A refurb 7205 is close to the IN76.

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

My Networked Media/Music/DVD Server
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4269 Old 03-03-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoting Dijuno, "Not saying Bob is continuously lying about anything, but the genuflecting and slathering over his every word by some in this forum is getting past silly. "Bob, you're the greatest! Can I name a child after you, Bob?" " .
____________________________________________________________ _

Wow, that's a little heavy on the sarcasm there Mr. 9 posts. I've almost never seen such involved participation from the designer of a product I've owned anywhere and I get a real kick out of it. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. It so happens I've met Bob and he's cool, as for you well.. that remains to be seen.

Anyone know where the IN76 will be demoed in NYC?
post #723 of 4269 Old 03-03-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post

Quoting Dijuno, "Not saying Bob is continuously lying about anything, but the genuflecting and slathering over his every word by some in this forum is getting past silly. "Bob, you're the greatest! Can I name a child after you, Bob?" " .
____________________________________________________________ _

Wow, that's a little heavy on the sarcasm there Mr. 9 posts. I've almost never seen such involved participation from the designer of a product I've owned anywhere and I get a real kick out of it. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. It so happens I've met Bob and he's cool, as for you well.. that remains to be seen.

C'mon, comedy is nothing if not sarcasm. Also, I don't have post envy. Remember, it's not the the size of the posts... it's how you use them!
post #724 of 4269 Old 03-03-2006, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myerss View Post

The picture quality was impressive, but you could see some motion artifacts. From the specs that they put out, the refresh rate on the 7205 is about 70% faster than the IN76, and the 7210 is another 30% improved over the 7205.

Hi myerss - what refresh rate specs are those? The 7205/7210 support 48Hz playback of film content, so I would expect that they are a little smoother than the IN76 when playing that type of content, but the refresh rate is actually slower in that case.

It almost sounds like you're referring to the controller speed, but both the IN76 and 7210 use the same DDP1010 controller.
post #725 of 4269 Old 03-03-2006, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
post #726 of 4269 Old 03-03-2006, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKB View Post

Hi myerss - what refresh rate specs are those? The 7205/7210 support 48Hz playback of film content, so I would expect that they are a little smoother than the IN76 when playing that type of content, but the refresh rate is actually slower in that case.

It almost sounds like you're referring to the controller speed, but both the IN76 and 7210 use the same DDP1010 controller.

As Bob W said earlier, it's the extra segment in the 7205's colorwheel that makes the difference in the motion artifacts(dithering) and with the 7210 having the DC3 chip, the performance gap is further widened.
post #727 of 4269 Old 03-03-2006, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Smithfarmer - you're probably right about that spec referring to the color wheel. I just noticed that even though the 7205 and 7210 use the same 7 segment wheel, the 7210 mentions variable speed, so maybe that's the difference betweem the two.

I assumed myerss was talking about motion blur and not dithering when he mentioned motion artifacts, since he compared motion blur on the IN76 and the Panny 900. That's what was confusing me.
post #728 of 4269 Old 03-03-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijuno? View Post

C'mon, comedy is nothing if not sarcasm. Also, I don't have post envy. Remember, it's not the the size of the posts... it's how you use them!

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" (origin obscure)

Let's give a pat on the back to Bob. It looks like they nailed it with the new 1.3.2 firmware. Since the 4805 is pretty old in projector years, and InFocus has those sleek black QUIET projectors in the starting gate, they could easily have abandoned us.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% fatality rate.
post #729 of 4269 Old 03-03-2006, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:

Hi Smithfarmer - you're probably right about that spec referring to the color wheel. I just noticed that even though the 7205 and 7210 use the same 7 segment wheel, the 7210 mentions variable speed, so maybe that's the difference betweem the two.

I assumed myerss was talking about motion blur and not dithering when he mentioned motion artifacts, since he compared motion blur on the IN76 and the Panny 900. That's what was confusing me.

Hey Jeff, my bad. Problems arise when a few of us get our terminology wrong. I called it dithering, thinking of "motion dithering", not the dithering you see up close in the black area of an image, having read it somewhere else but that was an incorrect description.

If you go back throught the thread to where Bob answers someones query about moition artifacts during fast pans he calls it temporal contouring. I assume that is what myerss was refereing to when he speaks of motion blur. Sorry for furthering the confusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingGimp
Bob - Does the IN76 use the new DDP3020 as a DMD controller? If not, does the IN76 have anything proprietary to reduce the DLP panning dithering artifacts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams View Post

No, it uses the DDP1010 controller which is the same as we use on the SP7210. As far as "DLP panning dithering" or what we like to call temporal contouring is concerned, I will say that I believe we spend more time optimizing the bit sequences for the DLP devices than anyone, and they are proprietary to us alone. The bit sequences determine the mirror behavior during each frame of the image.

post #730 of 4269 Old 03-04-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfarmer View Post

Hey Jeff, my bad. Problems arise when a few of us get our terminology wrong. I called it dithering, thinking of "motion dithering", not the dithering you see up close in the black area of an image, having read it somewhere else but that was an incorrect description.

If you go back throught the thread to where Bob answers someones query about moition artifacts during fast pans he calls it temporal contouring. I assume that is what myerss was refereing to when he speaks of motion blur. Sorry for furthering the confusion.

Hi Smithfarmer, I'm not so sure it's your bad! I'm just curious and confused over what the refresh rate spec was that myerss referred to. Hopefully he will return and clear things up.
post #731 of 4269 Old 03-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijuno? View Post

Later this year when InFocus intros their $499 projector, they'll REALLY bring affordable projecting to the masses.

Okay.. I'll bite since no one here has. What's the deal with the $499 projector? Is this more of your sarcastic humor or does this comment have some factual basis?

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
post #732 of 4269 Old 03-04-2006, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_dilemma View Post

Okay.. I'll bite since no one here has. What's the deal with the $499 projector? Is this more of your sarcastic humor or does this comment have some factual basis?

I think they're referring to the IN24

http://www.infocus.com/Products/Projectors/IN24.aspx

which looks like a remodeled X2

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #733 of 4269 Old 03-04-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd View Post

I think they're referring to the IN24

http://www.infocus.com/Products/Projectors/IN24.aspx

which looks like a remodeled X2

Victor

Umm.. no.

IF will intro a new line of "gonzo gaming" projectors to be sold through retail chains like BB, CC, etc. before Christmas this year retailing as low as $499 with matching accessories packaged for retail, such as a DVD player, speakers, etc. Bob should be able to elaborate when the time comes, but I don't think he'd be allowed to comment on it at this time. I'd be surprised if he was even allowed to acknowledge it. IF will probably be PO'd that someone disclosed this much info.

That's all I will offer until IF unveils these, except to say, these are not HT quality projectors so don't sit around waiting for a $499 HT quality projector anytime soon. Joe Sixpack, however, who doesn't care too much about resolution, contrast, scaling chips, etc.. can just throw it in the shopping basket and go.
post #734 of 4269 Old 03-04-2006, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just thought I'd add that one would be hard pressed to tell the difference between 48, 59.94, and 72 Hz without being told which one was which. Maybe some stuttering here and there.

Surely, as you and smithfarmer pointed out, it must be the 7-segment difference.

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. (Winston Churchill)
post #735 of 4269 Old 03-04-2006, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've got an IF IN74 right now in my house and it's NICE!!! Quiet and the picture just POPS. I have a $12K Sharp 9000 right now and the IF is kicking its ass in no uncertain terms (though I suppose that is to be expected). The unit is on loan from IF for a big surround demo this weekend. Blacks are fantastic, detail is great. It doesn't dispense with endemic DLP projectors, but compared to the SP5000 LCD, this thing kills it. The longer I had the 5000 in my showroom, the more I hated LCD. I have a Gray Dove screen that is too dark, but the 74 lights it up much better than the Sharp. I really don't have a *good* projector with which to compare it and it's just some off the cuff stuff, but I really, REALLY like this projector! I can't wait to replace my Sharp with an IN76. Especially since it will finally fill my 110" screen in the new house (projector is too close) and I can get rid of the Gray Dove for a higher gain screen since black levels are more than acceptable. I'll report other observations as they come up. HDMI works great with the NAD M55 universal player. No hiccups so far!

John
post #736 of 4269 Old 03-04-2006, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Alimentall

Is there a studio/PC DVI toggle switch on the IN74? I think Bob said it was only available on the IN76.

So, how is it OTB as far as accuracy? Have you Avia'd or DVE'd it?

AND, of course, how is the noise level of the fan?

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. (Winston Churchill)
post #737 of 4269 Old 03-04-2006, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealgeno View Post

Is there a studio/PC DVI toggle switch on the IN74? I think Bob said it was only available on the IN76.

What do you mean by that? In the menu? I haven't seen anything like that. Let me know where to look and I'll let you know.
Quote:

So, how is it OTB as far as accuracy? Have you Avia'd or DVE'd it?

I haven't, but my eyes say it's damned good.
Quote:

AND, of course, how is the noise level of the fan?

Very quiet. Audible without anything playing, but amazingly quiet.

John
post #738 of 4269 Old 03-05-2006, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

I've got an IF IN74 right now in my house and it's NICE!!! Quiet and the picture just POPS. I have a $12K Sharp 9000 right now and the IF is kicking its ass in no uncertain terms (though I suppose that is to be expected).

John, why would that be expected? The IN74 is a 1024x576 pj with a $2K retail price. The Sharp 9000 is a full 720p projector and many professional reviewers said it was "jaw dropping." I realize the technology is about 3 years old, but is the lower resolution pj at 1/4 the list price THAT much better. Please tell us more.

Can't wait to start getting some reviews on the IN76.

I want a Masquerade.
post #739 of 4269 Old 03-05-2006, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mit, it's not even close. The reason it would be expected to be better is that the chip technology is so much more advanced, but I didn't think it would be so dramatic. The Sharp uses an HD1, not HD2 or HD2+, let alone DC3. I believe the chip in the IN74 is two generations newer. The picture is both blacker and whiter and the colors are *way* better than the sharp. Video processing is cleaner too, so the picture looks sharper, even with fewer pixels. The only advantage is that the IN74 was fed with HDMI, rather than component.

John
post #740 of 4269 Old 03-05-2006, 10:57 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
without reading thru this entire thread, when is the IN76 expected at retailers?

Rick
post #741 of 4269 Old 03-05-2006, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Their website says they are expected to ship in mid March.
post #742 of 4269 Old 03-06-2006, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I was hoping to hear John S's review of the IN76 that he he was watching over the weekend.

I want a Masquerade.
post #743 of 4269 Old 03-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, this thread got quiet. So quiet it fell off Sticky and off the first page. Do you think this is anticipation over first review and/or launch? Or have we literally answered all the questions? (naw!)

A friend who works for Infocus said there is a meeting happening this week in which the MAP for inital launch will be set. And then sales kits will be shipped Monday. Anyone with insight know if that sounds reasonable or am I being fed a line?
post #744 of 4269 Old 03-07-2006, 11:52 AM

I have seen this posted on a website selling for less than the HC3000U, so it looks like the street pricing will be competitive.
post #745 of 4269 Old 03-07-2006, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uliving View Post

If I input the signal in native 1280 X720 can the IN76 display the picture with NO resizing? Aka. can the IN76 display in "pixel perfect" or "one to one" mode?

Yes. That is in fact the default mode for 720p sources.
post #746 of 4269 Old 03-07-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uliving View Post

The Infocus website indicates that the IN76 has three digital inputs....DVI, M1, and HDMI. For the best performance which of the three inputs should I plan on using? My initial thinking is to use HDMI because on the Infocus web specs the HDMI input as the only one that lists it is HDCP supported.

There are 2 digital inputs available, an HDMI connector and the M1-DA connector. Both should work just as well since there are two identical HDMI receivers behind those connectors, and they are both HDCP enabled.
post #747 of 4269 Old 03-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post

I PM'ed you on this.

P4 HTPC, Infocus 4805, nVidia GeForce 6800 pixel mapped, Theater Tek 2.2, Bluegears X-Mystique 7.1 Soundcard, HK AVR-55 A/V receiver.
post #748 of 4269 Old 03-07-2006, 08:34 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams View Post

There are 2 digital inputs available, an HDMI connector and the M1-DA connector. Both should work just as well since there are two identical HDMI receivers behind those connectors, and they are both HDCP enabled.

Bob,
Will an M1-DVI adapter be included with the IN76? What is the reason for not just having an direct DVI input?

Rick
post #749 of 4269 Old 03-07-2006, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

Bob,
Will an M1-DVI adapter be included with the IN76? What is the reason for not just having an direct DVI input?

No, we do not include an adapter but they are available through our store and from others. If you prefer third party solutions there is a direct HDMI input and adapters between HDMI and DVI are common. One of the reasons to use the M1-DA connector is that it is a mutliple function input using very little projector real estate. It can be used as a RGBHV, component, DVI, HDMI, and USB connection; so it replaces all of those connectors with one multi-function connector. How you use it is up to you, thereby giving maximum flexibility for a relatively small number of connectors on this product line.
post #750 of 4269 Old 03-08-2006, 06:27 AM

Does anyone know where the center of the screen will be in relation to
the center of the lens (angle) on the IN76?
Thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus Sp Lamp 025 Projector Lamp For In72 In74 In76 , Infocus , Infocus X1 Video Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page