Infocus IN72-IN74-IN76 - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 4267 Old 03-25-2006, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found this on a website. It's copy/paste and I edited it a bit.

"InFocus has a MAP(Minimum Advertised Price) Policy. This means that InFocus does not allow resellers to advertise prices below the MAP price that is set by InFocus.

InFocus allows prices that are below MAP to be shown after the item has been added to a shopping cart.(You can easily remove the item from the shopping cart.)

Manufacturers consider companies that violate their MAP policy to be unauthorized resellers. Purchasing products from unauthorized resellers often disqualifies that product from receiving the manufacturer's warranty, service and support.

We have a close relationship with our product manufacturers and we follow their rules and guidelines regarding the listing of prices on the Internet. We do this to insure that you have full warranty coverage for the products that you purchase."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 4267 Old 03-25-2006, 10:54 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitz View Post

sunol, what type of screen are you using?

My wall! Rough finish drywall with a very flat white paint (western acoustic) that works well. I am using the wall partially because of the strange shape of the room and partially because it works and partially because I love the fact that it all 'disappears' when I turn everything off. I think of it as a '.8' screen.
With the 4805, I had trouble during the day with the low gain I get from the wall and the lack of 'total' light control (some light through the edges of the blinds). With the IN76, the extra lumens takes care of that.
Look at the 'room' link if you want to see:
http://homepage.mac.com/sunol/FileSharing7.html
The daylight in the room is making the picture look 'warmer' than it really is... but you can see the image from the IN76 is coming through just fine despite the daylight. And this on the 'low power' setting.

There is some keystoning, but not as much as you might think since the angle of the wall parallels the angle of projection. I can use the keystone adjustment to completely eliminate it, but I don't bother since it is not that bad. The image stays in focus through out as well.

One of my 'future projects' is to play with some of the paint formulas in the DIY screen section of the forum, but this paint seems to work pretty well...

Mike
post #993 of 4267 Old 03-25-2006, 10:54 PM

but the Infocus website says 2yr for the IN74. It must be a typo. The brochures say 1 yr for the IN74. Wish it was 2.

IN74
Shipping Dimensions: Not Available
Shipping Weight: Not Available
Projector Warranty: 2 Year
Lamp Warranty: 90 Days
Accessories Warranty: 90 Days

IN76
Projector Warranty: 1 Year

IN72
post #994 of 4267 Old 03-25-2006, 11:12 PM

I am borrowing a Da-lite screen. I've been painting samples using different recipes. I'm not done, but the closest I've come so far is: 2 Behr Flat White, 1 Behr Deep Base, 2 Behr Pearlescent White Opal, and 1 Miniwax Polycyrlic water base satin. I primed the drywall with some creme color primer.

Did a little wet sanding between some of the coats. I'll try spraying next.

Compared to the Da-lite screen it's very close. It's just a slight shade darker. Impressive for just drywall and paint. I can't achieve the sparkle that the Da-lite has. If I add to much Pearlescent it gets darker. Is there some metallic flakes that can be added? Maybe something made for crafts.

I'm going to use the whole wall then use masking and curtains. So multiple aspect ratios can be achieved. Roughly the max viewing is 115W x 70H. I might put the pj on a track to max out each aspect ratio from all the different sizes and media.

My other option is to buy the raw material from Da-Lite (White Matte) @ $6.20 a sqft.
I need about 73 sgft. Or about $450. And hang the screen behind the masking.

I'm considering buying th IN74EX. Can't really afford the 76. I'm hoping it can achieve the 131" diagonal size I want.
post #995 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 12:00 AM

Was watching some TV today, and while I was in the Windows MCE interface, I was just dumbfounded by how bright this thing is, even in low power mode.

I usually have the shades drawn in the room, but I'd forgotten to close them, so I had daylight streaming in. But this was totally usable anyway. 800 lumens is a LOT!

Blacks were terrible (obviously), but I'll have no problem enjoying sports & sitcoms with this guy, even with lots of light in the room.
LL
post #996 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typezer0 View Post

I'm considering buying th IN74EX. I'm hoping it can achieve the 131" diagonal size I want.

According to Bob's calculator, with a 1.0 gain screen, the image brightness would be perfect at 15.8fL.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #997 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APranger View Post

Blacks were terrible (obviously), but I'll have no problem enjoying sports & sitcoms with this guy, even with lots of light in the room.

How big is yourscreen? Have you calibrated with AVIA or DVE? I'm curious how blacks are after calibration in a darkened room. Thanks.

Steve
post #998 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 08:39 AM

Also in line with the above post.....were the blacks bad because of the extra light in the room?
post #999 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj2 View Post

How big is yourscreen? Have you calibrated with AVIA or DVE? I'm curious how blacks are after calibration in a darkened room. Thanks.

Blacks are great. We watched some of The Transporter, and the early chase scene had ample detail on the black BMW, and all of the black clothing worn by the hero and the police.

My screen is about 100" in diagonal. I haven't bothered calibrating yet, since if I had to make changes, I'd probably have to make them again after a few hundred hours. But with the Infocus projectors so dead-on accurate out of the factory, I don't think I could improve on that unless I had ISF skills and a light meter.

As an example, my SP4805 used the same settings before & after DVE. 50 contrast, 50 brightness. It may come as no surprise that these are the factory defaults. (Note: The RGB gains & offsets were adjusted to the settings that Bob Williams gave as being appropriate for RGB Video Levels coming over DVI).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigoober View Post

Also in line with the above post.....were the blacks bad because of the extra light in the room?

Lol, yes -- I suppose that should be spelled out . Sunlight is a bitch! When the lights go off, there are no problems to report.
post #1000 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 09:02 AM

Whew....almost worried me there for a minute!
post #1001 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 09:07 AM

A few other niceties:
  1. Discrete codes for power on and power off. I'm wagering that these are the same as the 72xx series, but unfortunately, there is no button on the remote to assist in learning. Infocus provides the hex codes on their support website. Lucky for me, I was able to find the IN76 already in the Harmony database, so no extra teaching was required. All I had to do was adjust the delays and the repeats in the special setup, and everything is working well.
  2. The remote has a "special" button, that can be set to do a number of useful features. The two most useful features, in my opinion, are the ability to have it display the current input information, and the ability to have it freeze the picture. This is great for screenshots, especially if your player of choice tends to leave an OSD when paused.
post #1002 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunol View Post

Couple of quirks so far just so people don't think I work for inFocus.
1) Keeps loosing sync on a 480i signal over component. Happens about every 15 minutes and then comes back. I certainly didn't buy this projector to watch 480i content, but just noting it. It is routing through my Denon av receiver and other sources over the component input are fine. So I am pretty sure it is not the cable. May be my old VCR player (which I secretly hope is breaking so I can dump all those tapes).

Mike

Mike I am amazed your VCR works with your IN76 at all........

With my BenQ 8700+ I could only get the vcr to work (and then horribly) if I ran s-video or composite direct to the projector. When I tried to route it through my Denon 3805 (which upconverts to component) the projector could not sync to the signal at all.... it would just keep flashing sync on... sync off... sync on... sync off... it would cycle like this about once every two seconds... so yours is doing much better than mine ever would.............

But who wants to watch video tapes anyway............?

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #1003 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 86
The review for the IN76 mentions the screendoor is worse than the HD2+ projectors. I have a Toshiba MT700 that I am going to replace with an IN76 (probably.) I wonder how much worse the SDE is?
post #1004 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

The review for the IN76 mentions the screendoor is worse than the HD2+ projectors. I have a Toshiba MT700 that I am going to replace with an IN76 (probably.) I wonder how much worse the SDE is?

At CES I felt the IN76 had very slightly more noticable screendoor and rainbows than the competing new 720 DLP models, but so slight that it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me...

Robert Clark
post #1005 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 12:48 PM

Will the IN76 take an m1 to dvi cable to make a DVI-D connection or will a DVI-D cable plug into the M-1 connector on the PJ. Specs say it requires a special cable but mag up a picture of the back of the PJ and it looks like it would just plug in?
post #1006 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I didn't know if it was against rules on the forum or not. I thought it might be but wasn't sure.

I was very suspicious about these sites because it had that "To good to be true" about it, but wanted to get some feedback on it.

It would be a good idea to post a warning about these sights somewhere in the forum in forewarning anyone considering doing business with them.

These companies had to of come up in discussions before at some point.

It is very easy to find out legit Infocus dealers - go to their website and look up the model you are interested in - they have a where to buy link for online authorized or locally authorized dealers. They also somewhere (or did have) up there have a link of deauthorized/unauthorized dealers. But if they are not listed as authorized, and certainly if they have a website advertising less than MAP - they are not an authorized dealer.
post #1007 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

but the Infocus website says 2yr for the IN74. It must be a typo. The brochures say 1 yr for the IN74. Wish it was 2.

IN74
Projector Warranty: 2 Year

IN76

IN72

That is correct the EX (IN74EX) are local dealer only products for the CEDIA installer market - part of that advantage is a longer warranty - Infocus feels when these are installed properly and have a local guy watching out for the install that does these all the time- there will be less returns that could have been avoided. Infocus listens to their local dealers and sometimes updates warranty plans - so some marketing materials are out of date already.
post #1008 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The website lists that this has a Darkchip 2 but I thought this projector didn't use the Darkchip. I thought it used that new cheaper hybrid chip. Which is right? http://infocus.com/Products/Projectors/IN76.aspx
post #1009 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The "cheaper hybrid" is still designated DC2. It's confusing but it is. The older HD2+ was available in DC2 and DC3 and the newer smaller HD2+ is so far only available in DC2. Where the old DC2 has a definite advantage is slightly less screedoor. From screenshots this looks to be a fairly minimal difference though, although I'd like to see a few more side by sides.
The idea is (I suppose) that the old HD2+ DC2 and the newer DC2 are comparable in contrast although from reviews it looks like it depends on the implementation more than just the chip.
post #1010 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVLP View Post

Will the IN76 take an m1 to dvi cable to make a DVI-D connection or will a DVI-D cable plug into the M-1 connector on the PJ. Specs say it requires a special cable but mag up a picture of the back of the PJ and it looks like it would just plug in?

Looks like the M1 still to me- what's up with that??. No biggie either way, I would think- you can use a stock HDMI and most IF projectors seem to ship with an M1 adapter cable... (and 4805 users are going to have plenty of adapters onhand )

Don't taze me, bro!!
post #1011 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 05:50 PM

Can I mount the IN76 right under(maybe 4" ) two AC/heat ducts? The ducts run right above the ceiling tile. That spot is about 13' from screen. If not that spot, I would have to push it back to about 16'.
post #1012 of 4267 Old 03-26-2006, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

At CES I felt the IN76 had very slightly more noticable screendoor and rainbows than the competing new 720 DLP models, but so slight that it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me...

At what distance did the SDE became noticable? Was it 1.5x and less?

I can see slight SDE on HD2+ machines (BenQ PE7700) at 1.5x.
post #1013 of 4267 Old 03-27-2006, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbawilly View Post

At what distance did the SDE became noticable? Was it 1.5x and less?

I can see slight SDE on HD2+ machines (BenQ PE7700) at 1.5x.

Yes, I am interested in this too.

I've seen the PE7700 in person and unless it was a totally white scene (like the ice cracking intro from Ice Age), 1.2x was fine. To eliminate SDE completely on the white screen, 1.4x was needed.

Also, I should be visiting a IN76 personally this or next week. I'll report back on SDE then.
post #1014 of 4267 Old 03-27-2006, 09:07 AM

I can see screendoor at 1.5x, but the conditions have to be right, and I have to be looking for it. Very, very minimal, and it is still going to be tough unless your vision is 20/20 or better (mine is 20/15).

I happily sit closer than that for movies (at about 1.3x), and it never bothers me because it is still so small.
post #1015 of 4267 Old 03-27-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Stupid question: my Toshiba has a zero offset. This says 116% and I noticed that one review says it has to be 7.5 inches above the top of the screen. Is that right? I have an extender arm on my ceiling mount, can I just take that off now?
post #1016 of 4267 Old 03-27-2006, 10:06 AM
bub
Advanced Member

Hey all,
FedEx just dropped off my IN72, thank you very much Jason and AVS. They were close behind the UPS guy who had just dropped off my Premiere wall/ceiling mount, thank you Page Computers (looks like a high quality product).

Firstly, I haven't even turned it on yet, nor have I got the mount installed. The IN72 looks very nice. Where's the owners manual though? And, no DVI>M1-D adapter! Seems like if InFocus wants to use an 'unusual' input, might be a good idea to include the adapter, just my opinion.

Will report back later. Screen material, HCCV, should be on the way. Cables and adapters will be here tomorrow via UPS, thank you very much MonoPrice. Have the Bravo D1, thank you NewEgg, and have replaced the faulty capacitor.

Gonna throw an image on a flat greenish wall until my screen material gets here. I have built a DIY frame, 50X92, and have figured out a masking system using black felt and velcro.

Good luck all, and thanks for all the help,
George -bub
post #1017 of 4267 Old 03-27-2006, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Good luck bub. Funny, I bought my 4805 from Jason, my Premier mount from Page AND use the 92" HCCV as well! Still love the DaLite HCCV screen. I'll wait a bit and eventually get the IN76 unless the IN72 comes down in price while I can still get a decent price for my 4805, then I'll just switch over.Keep us posted.
post #1018 of 4267 Old 03-27-2006, 10:49 AM

I haven't witnessed the offset on IN series but a local dealer had anohter top of the line Infocus and the screen was about 4-5" from the ceiling, and the pj was about 1' ft below the ceiling pointing up very slightly. Both In focus models were like that.
post #1019 of 4267 Old 03-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Stupid question: my Toshiba has a zero offset. This says 116% and I noticed that one review says it has to be 7.5 inches above the top of the screen. Is that right? I have an extender arm on my ceiling mount, can I just take that off now?

Yes, 16% (actually thought it was 15% on the IN76?) of the screen height is your distance from the projector lens center to the top of the screen when ceiling mounted.
post #1020 of 4267 Old 03-27-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

The offset on the IN76 is 15.59% of screen height.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus Sp Lamp 025 Projector Lamp For In72 In74 In76 , Infocus , Infocus X1 Video Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page