Sharp XR10 users: Are ye still happy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2006, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not too many postings on this projector lately. What say ye (I just read Moby Dick), mateys? Are you still happy with the projector? Are the sealed optics working out? Bulbs lasting? Speak out and let the fence-sitters know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 08:16 AM

We've all been too busy watching our PJs to comment.

I only have 112-ish hours on the bulb, so I can't really comment on bulb life.

Nor can I really give any input on the sealed optics, although I haven't had any problems. Vaccumed the other day, not much dust was on the fans. BTW, I really like the open side-vent design of the Sharp due to those sealed optics...with all the air these three (quiet) fans pull through, there should never really be any cooling issues.

Anyway, I'm still loving the image. HDTV, DVDs and Xbox 360 all continue to shine, especially after I spent time with calibration.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

The projector is Great! Building up hours rather quick on the bulb
Old 01-31-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing I have discovered about the projector is SRGB mode using the HTPC. I used to use movie mode on the projector. It looks great. However, I tried SRGB and I think the picture is much improved over the movie mode, like a different gamma mode or something. Have any other Sharp XR10-X users tried SRGB mode with an HTPC? What did you think?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:47 PM

I haven't tried my PC on it yet, but with DVD, HDTV, SDTV, and Xbox1...this PJ is still a big WOW after about 300 hours on it.
Can't wait to watch the Superbowl in HD this weekend!
As destiny would have it, my hometown team made it to the Superbowl on the first one that I have a PJ to watch it on!

And as evilboy said, a nice quick vacuum on the sides to clear any bit of dust from those awesomely quiet fans is all the maintenance I have had to do.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:53 PM

Still watching it nightly and still liking it quite well. Too well probably from the way the hours a climbing.

Michael
Old 01-31-2006, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi:
This is my post in the projector area of AVS. I used to hang out in the flat panel section of the site. However, I read a review about the Optoma H27 in the Oct 05 issue of Home Theater and that sparked my interest in projectors. I spent a couple of weeks reading threads in the under $3500 projector area of AVS until I stumble into a couple of threads that mentioned the Sharp XR-10X and I decided to take the plunge. The decision was made relatively easy as I am a Sam's Club member, which is where I got the projector. I have been tweaking it (bought the ND2 62mm filter) until it is finally at a point where I am very satisfied with it. I am currently projecting on a cut-out from a drywall sheet and the image is quite good. I get a 16:9 image about 70-inch diagonal.

DVDs are great and HD is just superb, better than my 42-inch Panny ED plasma. However, DVDs are better on the plasma, but by no means I am disastified with the DVD image from the projector. I just think they can look better if I get the right screen for the projector. I am concerned that I wil have to spend a lot to get noticeable improvements over the drywall (it is that good). I tried some dark gray and white cloth from a locall Wally and that was just no good. The drywall beat them both by a lot. Anyway, I just finished painting a side of the drywall cut-out silver and tomorrow will try it to see what it looks like.
This Sharp projectos is definitely high value. I cannot imagine anything looking better for close to its current selling price. I have completely scrapped my plans to get a 50-inch plasma. It just would not make any sense for me.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:25 AM

I am considering buying this projector, and am curious about your guys' experiences with ambient light.

This would be a replacement for my current 53" RPTV HDTV. The room isn't flooded with light or anything, but we eat in front of the tv every night, and need to be able to see our food.

So, will this be usable, in your opinions, in a medium ambient light situation?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:01 PM

I eat with one lamp on, each night, while watching.
It's plenty watchable with the lamp on.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:15 PM
DP1
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I'm sure it would be fine, Gooner. We eat in front of it every night too. The only lighting in the room is 4 sconses (sp) with low wattage bulbs that are controlled on a dimmer. They're always on but on a very low setting.

Many times when we're eating though the wife asks for a lil more light to see her food (for some reason I dont have that problem), so I'll turn them up some. I dont like doing that, but not because it really affects the picture at all as far as I'm concerned. I just like a darker setting. So I just turn them back down when shes done.

Dan

Don't confuse me with facts...
My mind is made up.
;-)
Old 02-01-2006, 01:33 PM

Thanks guys. Basically, I have the lights on in the adjacent dining room, though none of the light directly hits the screen. My wife as well likes a lamp on, but it throws all of its light at the ceiling, and can be dimmed.

But what about in the daytime? I never watch with blinds open as it washes out my RPTV as well. But even with blinds closed there is a little light. Enough to read a book by anyway. Could I watch it then too?

I just want to make sure that I can reliably replace my RPTV before I sell it, buy the projector, set it up, and then find out that it isn't great for my needs.

Please... continue to set my mind at ease please.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:05 PM

Installed our second in the bedroom today. With a 75 watt ceiling light on and projecting to the beige/yellow wall, it still looks beautiful. Im running it on econ mode so it is whisper quiet. (approx 92" 16:9).
Old 02-01-2006, 04:20 PM

Last time I checked I was passing 350 hours - in 2.5 months...don't want to check anymore since it tells me how many hours I've had my butt in the chair instead of doing something I'm supposed to be doing...like my wife's list...

This is my first projector and I think it is excellent. My only gripe is the minimal zoom (1.2) - although that is a normal number for business projectors. I want my 2.35 films to be 96" wide and 1.33 material to be about 72 " wide so I built a sliding ceiling mount to allow me to physically move the projectors distance to the wall (sortof a poor mans constant area set-up.)

I too leave the lights on and can watch most material..although something like Lord of the Rings would be tough to watch in it's darker scenes with a lamp throwing light directly on the screen.

I would recommend this approach over RPTV, LCD or plasma any day!
Old 02-01-2006, 04:44 PM
DP1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmcwilliams View Post

Last time I checked I was passing 350 hours - in 2.5 months...don't want to check anymore since it tells me how many hours I've had my butt in the chair instead of doing something I'm supposed to be doing...like my wife's list...

I hear ya there. I just looked today and have 409 hours since the first week of December.

One thing too I noticed is along with the hours it showed 89% "life left". That would equate to almost 4000 hours.

Or does it work like a fuel gauge in a car where the needle stays above half full longer than it does below it.. so when I get to like 2500 hours it'll only show 10% left.

Dan

Don't confuse me with facts...
My mind is made up.
;-)
Old 02-01-2006, 04:53 PM

I love mine.I use a HTPC setup with Zoomplayer and FFSHOW and the picture is amazing. I also have it hooked up to my Dish HDTV reciever and I notice that 1080i looks alot better than 720p,the only reason I say that is because the projector I had before this one was an OPTOMA xga projector and 720p looked better than 1080i.I guess all projectors are different.The only thing I am worried about is the component out only doing half the rez for HD-DVD AND BR.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I'm closing in on an XR10 upgrade (from SVGA BenQ DLP) and all the noise about half res HD-DVD frightens me, too. But then I realized that 540p isn't much of a step down from the 576p or whatever the 16x9 XGA equals out to be.. but then it's only 60 lines (pixels) up from what DVD is right now.
This calls for math.
Ok down-rezed HD-DVD may be only 60 lines more than DVD, but it's 172,000 (rounded) more pixels than DVD, or a 50% increase.
On the negative side, it's a 12% pixel reduction from 576p (the 16x9 XGA resolution).

So I think even if BR/HD-DVD do only give half-res via component (and component only is the reason the Sharp is so cheap) it's still 50% higher res than DVD and pretty close to maxing out the possible resolution of an XGA. That about answers my coming question, 'Are we sure there's no comparable dvi-enabled XGA in at price point close to the Sharp?'
Old 02-02-2006, 04:56 PM

I wish there was some 540p material to compare.I really like my Sharp but I still have the option to return it at any time and try the OPTOMA 745 ,which Costco also sells as it has DVI out.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmcwilliams View Post

I too leave the lights on and can watch most material..although something like Lord of the Rings would be tough to watch in it's darker scenes with a lamp throwing light directly on the screen.

I highly recommend using a dimmer on your theater room lights. Being able to adjust the lights to match the video you're watching is great. I use a X10 brand pc remote to control a lamp.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:46 PM

Hello Everyone:

I have been playing with the XR-10X for the last two weeks and I can say that I am very satisfied with the unit's performance. However, I notice that using the VGA to component cable that came with the unit I am not able to output a 480p signal from my DVD player (Panny RP-82) to the Sharp (I have already enabled progressive out at the DVD player). The Sharp indicates the signal from the DVD player (Input 1) is 480i. I suspect that the 480p can be better as I know there is some room for improvement on the DVD image displayed. Does anyone know how to get the XR-10X to displayed a 480p signal (assuming the projector is capable of doing that)? I called Sharp's customer support, but they were not able to figure it out. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:42 PM

My XR-10x switches from 480i to 480p after the DVD starts. I'm using a ps2 set to progressive mode on component out. You positive the DVD player is actually outputting in progressive? Some have to have component enabled in addition to progressive. My other dvd player was that way, there was actually a toggle switch on the back for either component or svideo out, and while pg in the menu could be turned on or off regardless of what output was used it only acutally worked when that switch was in component position.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss69camaro350 View Post

My XR-10x switches from 480i to 480p after the DVD starts. I'm using a ps2 set to progressive mode on component out. You positive the DVD player is actually outputting in progressive? Some have to have component enabled in addition to progressive. My other dvd player was that way, there was actually a toggle switch on the back for either component or svideo out, and while pg in the menu could be turned on or off regardless of what output was used it only acutally worked when that switch was in component position.

just got my 10 x took a gamble sience i only seen it on the 20 inch display screen at sams but it was the highest res dlp for a entry level price. ive seen a lot of projectors at local stores like the high dollar sharps, a sims machine ,sp 5000 ,epson homelite 50 ,and 200 and on pixel structure and on screen door effect this projector in my opinon is just as good as any ive seen the blacks probably arnt quite as good as the priceyer stuff but im blown away by this machine it doesent have digital in but when hooked up to my dvd player with composite ,s video or componet it looks about the same and the picture is awsome i can sit like 5 foot from a 106 inch image with a soft de- focus and hardly see screen door at all and much better than any lcd ive ever seen. im very sensitive to screen door and that is my number one issue and im completly happey in that department.hooked up to dish tv is not that great but thats the limitation of the sattalite signal hi def sattalite would definitly be in order for watching tv at a high quality.

bottom line if screendoor effect is your number one issue and you want to stay under a grand this is the projector to buy the only thing that would make this projector any better is digital input if you need it and maybe darker blacks but dont get me wrong for the average viewer they will never notice this.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:03 AM

Having owned a Panasonic player myself, I can indeed confirm that you need to set the player to progressive in TWO places. Not only do you have to enable "progressive out" in the video section of the main menu, but you also have to set the Video Output mode to "480p" in the Picture Menu.

Check your manual...I checked the one on Panasonic's website for the RP-82 and confirmed that this procedure is correct.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:59 AM

How fortutious that you guys are using the RP-82, as I have that one also.

So the picture looks great with the RP-82 and the Sharp?

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one.

Question... if I buy from Costco, and I decide I don't like the way it looks, can i bring it back just for that? Does there have to be something wrong with it?

See, I have some buyers on Craigslist interested in my RPTV, and i don't want to sell it until i know I am going to love the projector. So I need to be able to buy the projector, watch it for a couple of days, and then if I like it keep it and sell the RPTV, and if I don't, I can return it?
Old 02-03-2006, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Talk to Costco about it. Personally, I talked with Sam's club about it and it sounded pretty no hassle to me.... One of the reason's why I bought it at Sam's club over other places... Wouldn't want to pay one of those "return fees".... I took it home to compare with my Infocus X1. No comparison, the Sharp XR-10X blows it away....

Bikerzero, if you want darker blacks, all you have to do is buy a "cheap" 62mm ND2 filter. It actually serves as a lens protector as well. When you accidentally touch the lens, you could scratch it. If you scratch the ND2 filter, all you have to do is buy another one....
Old 02-03-2006, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Projector Central just put up a review of the Sharp XR-20X which is very, very similar to the Sharp XR-10X. The Sharp XR-20X is basically a brighter version of the Sharp XR-10X. For home use, I would stick with the Sharp XR-10X. It's too bad that Evan Powell (Projector Central Guru) didn't mention anything about using an ND2 filter on the projector to "darken the blacks" and improve the overall picture quality in movie mode.

It sounds like he really liked the idea that the projector is a 3x color wheel for improving the picture over other 2x color wheel projectors like the Infocus X1 and other "business type" projectors. Personally, I think he should have reviewed the Sharp XR-10X over the Sharp XR-20X. The Sharp XR10X can be easily purchased under a grand while the Sharp XR-20X is usually over a grand. A grand being a "Major cut-off point" for many purchasers of projectors.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
After a 100 plus hours I'm totally happy. 72 x 96 screen with a light gray surface and the blacks in ecno-mode are awesome. see my link below for some screen shots Works great with a fair amount of light at the viewer end of the room. Input 1 or 2 is the way to go for sure improves the picture to perfection off DVD's
One thing to think about if you buy from Sam's and take the extended warranty for about $70 that will cover the bulb for the full length of the manufactures warranty and then 3 more years. Well worth the $70 IMO.

Bud

Old 02-03-2006, 04:37 PM

Sams Club warranty is nice but Costco is a lifetime return policy even if there is nothing wrong with it, no questions asked.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:40 PM

Thanks to ss69camaro350 and Evilboy for their responses on how to get the RP-82 to output a 480p signal. Their responses were very helpful. I was able to get the DVD player to output a 480p signal by pressing a button on the front of the unit which also enables progressive. I immediately noticed an improvement in the picture quality (about 15% better). While playing with the DVD player, I also tried the cinema modes (accessible through the Cinema button on the remote). I selected Cinema2 and that helped with detail in dark scenes as advertised in the RP-82 manual. I still think there is room for improvement. I suspect my "screen" is the limiting factor here. I first used a section of drywall and now I am using an old vinyl blind I had laying around as my screen. Tomorrow I am going to Home Depot and Lowe's to see if I find any of those Parkland or similar sheets other posters had liked so much. If I cannot get the Parkland-like material, I will order one of the portable Da-Lite High Power screens. Has anyone with an XR-10X tried any of the Da-Lite High Power screens? I will post again after I have changed my screen with my impressions of the changes.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:07 PM

I have a Da-lite matte white and it looks awesome.High power might be too much for the Sharp.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:11 PM

stratman50:
Do you have the ND2 filter? I put one on my Sharp and it cut down on glare and improved the contrast ratio quite a bit. Maybe the ND2 and Sharp together may be a good combination with the Da-Lite HP. It would be great if someone had already tried that combination.