AE700 Power on then off then on problem - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 101 Old 11-06-2010, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Deonlr, I also feel that the lamp is likely not the issue. In fact, I talked to Panasonic yesterday and they suggested that I remove and inspect the lamp for signs of burning, smoking, and crystal fragments. I inspected the lamp last night and saw none of these issues.

So now I need to decide whether to send it in to a service center, try the P module replacement myself, or just buy a new projector.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 101 Old 11-06-2010, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
Figured I'd add to this thread rather than start a new one.

Not sure if this is the exact issue others have experienced, but would appreciate any input.

I purchased a PT-AE700U new in '05 and have around 1,800 hours on the original lamp, all at the lower lamp output setting.

I have had no issues with the projector until last weekend, when the following started to occur out of the blue.

When I hit the main power switch on the back of the unit, the power status light goes straight to green (it should go to red for standby). The fan will then cycle on and off as the power light cycles from green to flashing orange. Sometimes the green light will flicker and dim. Rarely, an image will appear briefly on the screen (the input indicator at the top right of the screen). I can also hear a mechanical clicking as the fan cycles on and off - probably the iris. The projector will cycle through these issues and will not fire up, so I kill the main power switch on the back of the unit.

Has anyone experienced this issue and determined a root cause and fix?

I have not been able to narrow down root cause and a fix based on the research I've done so far. Seems like it could be anything from an iris malfunction, to a power supply board or ballast issue, to a lamp issue.

So, I'm trying to get a feel for root cause and fix options before I decide how to proceed. Given that a new $400 lamp is in the near future anyway, if this issue is a non-lamp related and requires a significant repair (say $300-400 or more), one has to consider the value of putting $700-800 or more into a 6 year old model vs. biting the bullet and getting a new projector with better performance at the same or lower cost vs. the original cost of the PT-AE700U. However, it is very disappointing that the PT-AE700U has only lasted 5.5 years and 1,800 hours.
I experienced this with my ae700 last year. It turned out to be a capacitor. If my memory serves me, the
panasonic service centre charged me 120.00 bucks to get it fixed. Hope this helps.
post #93 of 101 Old 11-07-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostgoth View Post

I experienced this with my ae700 last year. It turned out to be a capacitor. If my memory serves me, the
panasonic service centre charged me 120.00 bucks to get it fixed. Hope this helps.

Do you recall if that capacitor was on the power supply board?
post #94 of 101 Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 AM

I went ahead and ordered the power supply board (part ETXMM519MBGB) from Panasonic. The part is returnable if it doesn't fix the issue, so I figure it's worth a shot.

For anyone who has done the power supply board replacement, could you explain the general procedure?

I've never been inside the projector (other than to inspect the lamp), so don't have a feel for what I'm getting into.

From what I've read, you have to do some significant disassembly to get to the power supply board. I assume it's a good idea to take pics of the disassembly process to ensure that reassembly goes without a hitch.

Thanks,

Adam
post #95 of 101 Old 11-08-2010, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
Do you recall if that capacitor was on the power supply board?
Sorry, no recollection...
post #96 of 101 Old 11-13-2010, 08:55 AM

Adam,

Please let us know how your repair goes. I have a AE700U I purchased around 2003 but only have 1002 hours on the first bulb. I just started experiencing exactly the same issue as you and I'm thinking about attempting the power supply board swap.

Thanks,
Jim
post #97 of 101 Old 11-13-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoshea View Post

Adam,

Please let us know how your repair goes. I have a AE700U I purchased around 2003 but only have 1002 hours on the first bulb. I just started experiencing exactly the same issue as you and I'm thinking about attempting the power supply board swap.

Thanks,
Jim

I changed my mind and returned the power supply board. I'm shopping for a new projector - looking hard at the Epson 8700 UB.

I did open the 700U's case and found the location of the power supply board (it's not immediately obvious). Getting access to the board is also not obvious. I did not have a service manual and ultimately decided the I did not want to put the time into the repair, especially since I could not be sure it would fix the issue.

Good luck.
post #98 of 101 Old 11-18-2010, 05:59 PM

Well I called Panasonic and opened a case. But unfortunately they cannot help me and said the projector will need to be serviced. But, they also said they may no longer carry parts and even if they do they will not be returnable.

So, I have a Panasonic projector with only 1002 hours on the original bulb that I can pay $130 + shipping to have it looked at and pay who knows how much more to get fixed only to have it returned and warranted for only 30 days. I'm not liking those odds. I'm also not liking Panasonic.

Unfortunately I feel forced to purchase a new projector. I really liked the Panasonic, but I'll be looking at other manufacturers going forward.

Jim
post #99 of 101 Old 11-19-2010, 08:17 AM

I had the same problems earlier this year with my AE700.

I described everything that happened here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1213830
(worth a read)

it turned out to be the power supply module and ran me like 100 bucks on ebay (new from a parts seller). took me like 20 minutes to install. no sodering needed just a screwdriver.

The projector is still running great.
post #100 of 101 Old 01-02-2014, 03:35 PM

HI all: It looks like I am very late to this discussion. My pt-ae700 is now doing the same thing. However, I have been informed that the power supply module in question is no longer being made so the service center for British Columbia can't get the part. Does anybody know of someone still selling these parts? Thanks.
post #101 of 101 Old 02-28-2014, 11:50 AM

HI again: just though I would leave an update. After much searching, I found, on "austech" forums, a PS Module modification which could be done to solve the problem. It was a little too "tecchie" for me in terms of tools and know-how, so I took the machine to a local electronics repair shop to implement the mod. He discovered no problems with the PS module's power, and suggested that it could be a lamp problem, since lamps, as they age, draw more power to maintain brightness and the PS unit might be unable to support the extra draw (he had worked on projector TVs with the same issue and a new lamp had solved the problems with those). My lamp had just under 1800 hrs on it. I ordered a new one from a company which allows unconditional returns for a $25.00 restocking fee and switched out the lamps. It worked!! I have now put just over 12 hours on the new lamp with no problems whatsoever (other than a burned plastic smell which seems to be the new lamp housing getting used to the high temperatures - researched this too, it is no problem and the smell will apparently go away soon - it is already diminishing). My recommendation: don't junk your panny if it is switching on and off as described earlier in these posts. Try to find a lamp retailer with a good return policy and try switching out the lamps. I will give an update if something changes with my projector.
Cheers!biggrin.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page