AE700 Power on then off then on problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 101 Old 03-04-2006, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had the problem with their AE700 where you turn it on then it just starts to power off, then back on then off again. Now it seems to be off for good. This projector has been working perfectly for about 1 year and 4 months and nothing has changed in the setup.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 03-04-2006, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Failed lamps or fans will create this kind of behaviour. Were you getting any failure signs prior to this?

ted
post #3 of 101 Old 03-04-2006, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Ted,
The projector wasnt doing anything funky before. My first thought was that it had to be the projector since it was powering off then on again. I guess I should go with the easiest solution first and try a new bulb before sending it back to panasonic.

If I pull the bulb out can I tell if it has gone bad somehow?
post #4 of 101 Old 03-06-2006, 09:00 AM

I have the same problem. About 16 months old with a little over 1000hrs. I never saw the lamp light come on, and I don't want to buy another lamp if that is not the problem. Have you figured it out yet? Thanks-
post #5 of 101 Old 04-05-2006, 09:26 PM

My AE700 just started doing the on/off thing. Is it for sure the bulb or the power supply as mentioned? Any way to tell the difference easily?

thx!
post #6 of 101 Old 04-06-2006, 09:34 AM

I had what appears to be the same problem. After running for several minutes, mine would shut down completely as if the power had been cut off. After waiting several more minutes I could get it to power back up, but it would shut down again moments later.

Turned out to be the power supply. Sent it in for repair under warranty about 3 months ago and have not had any problems since. Still on the original bulb (about 750 hours).
post #7 of 101 Old 04-06-2006, 11:23 AM

I had the same issue, and it too was a bad power module.

Mine was covered under warranty.
post #8 of 101 Old 04-06-2006, 01:20 PM

had the same problem and took it to Panasonic and they said it was cause circut problem I think same problem cgengler is talking about when he said power module, mine was under warrenty to thank god...
post #9 of 101 Old 04-06-2006, 07:36 PM

I had the same thing happen to mine today.it was fine last night. Took it into the shop and said it could 2 weeks. The crappy thing is my warrenty expired in January. Anybody have any idea how much this might cost?
post #10 of 101 Old 04-07-2006, 04:08 PM

Get this, my warranty had TWO DAYS left when it died!!! Talk about lucky! I shipped it off today to the national repair center in Kansas to be fixed under warranty.

I am curious what this would/will cost to replace the power supply if that's what it is.... if it only lasts one year, it's going to suck replacing it next time/year. I wonder if is a DIY job? Would just need the power supply part number...

ave-
post #11 of 101 Old 04-10-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeandher View Post

I had the same thing happen to mine today.it was fine last night. Took it into the shop and said it could 2 weeks. The crappy thing is my warrenty expired in January. Anybody have any idea how much this might cost?

I had the same peoblem and they said it was the power supply and something else I dn't remember off hand. Anyways mine was out of warranty and is going to cost me about 400 to get fixed. I don't think I am ever going to buy a projector without a two or three year warranty again.

Stephen
post #12 of 101 Old 04-10-2006, 08:11 AM

As bad as $400 seems, the extended warranty was $300 for 3years. Not a whole lot to save
post #13 of 101 Old 04-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Misery loves company and i`m in misery right now.

My projector just started doing the same thing Monday Night, and with the Stanley Cup Playoffs taking place, and my 34" HDTV in the shop as well, life could be better right now

My luck with Electronics sucks lately...Anyways, based on what you guys are describing, i assume my problem is power supply related and not the bulb, as when it fires up the first time i can see an image for about 15 seconds before it shuts off, and i would think if the bulb was bad, i wouldn't see anything?

My projector is out of warranty, but as it turns out i have an authorized Panny service center only 8 miles from me, so at least i can save on shipping cost, and hopefully get it back sooner, but the guy told me probably couple weeks range for turn around, which sucks major A**, so much so that i may just buy a Z4, get the 700u back fixed and sell it.
post #14 of 101 Old 04-26-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTAVE View Post

As bad as $400 seems, the extended warranty was $300 for 3years. Not a whole lot to save

Fortunately, my power supply issue was within the warranty (just expired a couple of weeks ago). What concerns me the most is that if you spend $400 dollars on a repair such as the power supply, you can easily end up having to spend another $350 or so within a short timeframe if your bulb blows out.

I still don't fully understand why every repair/replacement issue on the projector is about 5 to 10 times more expensive than what I would have anticipated.

I have always avoided extended warranties in the past, but I will definitely consider one on my next projector purchase, especially if I can find one that covers the bulb as well.
post #15 of 101 Old 04-26-2006, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i had the same problem with mine. took it in just before the warranty expired. i also had the blue lcd block failing at the same time. thank god that happened when it did.

i've heard of several 700 owners now who've experienced the same power problem.

"the one who has the most fun wins."
post #16 of 101 Old 04-27-2006, 12:35 PM

Power supply going out seems to be a common problem being posted by owners if you look at official thread as well. I had the same issue happen with service center horror story that goes like this:

My ae700 went out about three months ago and took it to local Panasonic service center VSS in Laguna Hills who said would charge $150 just to take a look at projector problem but would apply this charge towards fixing the projector. Well, after a month I called to follow up and they said they were waiting for ballast to come from Panasonic middle of March. 2 weeks later, again I had to follow up on my initiative and they said they got the ballast but the PBS fan is out and waiting for the fan part from Panasonic. 4 weeks later I had to follow up again and service center said yes the projector is ready to pick up and bill would be $450. Wow, this is expensive. Asked if this includes bulb and they said NO. Day later, as I was going to get my projector, technician calls (which is last Friday) tells me the lights are now powering up properly and the faulty item is power supply and told me that my cost now is $560. These guys are imcopetent and told them off that I will take it to Panasonic service center in LA who knows what their doing - hopefully. I told VSS I will pick up the projector tomorrow as is and pay the $150 to get my projector back from service center as obviously I am getting royally screwed. Probably the only thing wrong is power supply and P module I got a quote from Panasonic only costs $109. The projector is out of warranty so what the heck, I can repair it myself as I have the service manual and it's not rocket science to replace it. The fan if I need it is $20 from Panasonic but the Ballast B-Module is $200. Hopefully, the problem is just power supply as many onwer's are posting because the symtom is exactly the same as everyone is describing.

Moral of the story, if your unit is out of warranty and you have the same symtom as descirbed, it's most likely the power supply and you can replace it yourself without getting screwed by service center. I don't mind the $150 learning experience but I do mind the 3 months of wasted time.
post #17 of 101 Old 07-07-2006, 10:43 AM

For you guys losing one of the color LCD's, make sure it's not just a cracked connector mount on the back of the projector. I have these monster cables which take an ungodly amount of force to insert and this has caused the composite mounts to crack on the PC board, causing one or more of the colors to stop working. If I just wiggle and fidget with it for a while the contacts reconnect and the colors come back. I have not taken it part yet to resolder the joints, I don't know how involved that is. Might save someone a repair bill...
post #18 of 101 Old 07-15-2006, 02:25 PM

The list just keeps growing, eh? Two months out of warranty and my AE700's power supply failed. The next day it worked for one movie, albeit with a very dim picture so there goes the lamp too. Incidentally, (or not? can't help thinking it's a conspiracy) the lamp timer was at exactly 800 hours when the trouble began. This double-whammy has put me off Panasonic for good. I'll never buy or recommend them again.
post #19 of 101 Old 07-29-2006, 08:24 AM

Hey guys, I actually work at Heartland, the national service center. I replace these power supplies all the time. And yes, when the 700 does a cycle of powering on and off, it is indeed the power supply that has failed... not the ballast. If you are having trouble with this issue, send your 700 to us.. don't trust a local service center. We keep a large inventory of parts in stock, and our turn time is usually a week or less. We are located in Leawood, Kansas
post #20 of 101 Old 07-29-2006, 09:50 PM

MrFent, you guys fixed my 700's powersupply, works great, quick turn around, thanks! Still doesn't make me any happier about the premature failure, are the replacement power supplies upgraded in anyway? Or can we expect them to fail again in 6-12 months?
post #21 of 101 Old 07-29-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTAVE View Post

MrFent, you guys fixed my 700's powersupply, works great, quick turn around, thanks! Still doesn't make me any happier about the premature failure, are the replacement power supplies upgraded in anyway? Or can we expect them to fail again in 6-12 months?

we have no way of knowing if they are upgraded or not, we just order them from Japan and they send them to us. When you think about it though, the ratio of 700's we receive for that problem is very small compared to the number of working 700's that are in homes all over America. So this isn't some sort of design flaw in which we know we are going to have to replace every single power supply in every single 700 out there. So hopefully your new power supply will still be kicking hard in 6-12 months or more, but keep in mind nothing is designed to last forever
post #22 of 101 Old 07-31-2006, 09:07 AM

Mr Fent. I am in Quebec City, Canada
My PT is for a long time (40days) to a Panasonic Sercice Center exactly for the same problem describeb in this forum. I give to the repairman the link of many forums, including this forum, talking about Power Supply Problems Issues. The Sv. cnter technical peoples called Pana ingeeners and they reject the Power supply theory and tells svc. center this is a ballast problem. I have to wait again because ballast is in back-order. I doubt this will solve the problem when they will receive the new one and replace in the PT700. One month ago I was able to contact Pana USA by email and they gived me some help but as soon they realized i am in Canada ther refer me to Pana Canada who tells me (final answer) there is no Known Power supply problems with PT700. Panasonic have no trouble historics and, as I am concern, Pana Canada and Pana USA do not collaborate togetrer.

Replacing ballast is a fix i could do myself, I am technician but not specialized in that kind of stuff. But the problem is if I order a ballast by myself and replace by myself they will not refound the ballast if it dont solve the problem. The svc. center do not have this problem because the have arrangement to send back the ballast to Pana. Finally I do not have any other choice, accepting the estimate of the svc. center, 450$, to replace the ballast. They tells estimate is not guarantee, that mean if it dont work i do not have to pay... but it don't give me my PT700. As I could see, there is at least one credible man on that earth aware of the problem. Is there any way to put Service Center in contact with peoples who experienced this trouble? Maybe you??
post #23 of 101 Old 07-31-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFent View Post

nothing is designed to last forever

But is it too much to ask that Panasonic design something to last more than 800 hours?
post #24 of 101 Old 07-31-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsortor View Post

But is it too much to ask that Panasonic design something to last more than 800 hours?

Hey I'm with you guys. But we get units in that have well over 2000 hours whose power supplies have never failed. There's really no way to predict when something is going to go wrong.
post #25 of 101 Old 07-31-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointous View Post

Mr Fent. I am in Quebec City, Canada
My PT is for a long time (40days) to a Panasonic Sercice Center exactly for the same problem describeb in this forum. I give to the repairman the link of many forums, including this forum, talking about Power Supply Problems Issues. The Sv. cnter technical peoples called Pana ingeeners and they reject the Power supply theory and tells svc. center this is a ballast problem. I have to wait again because ballast is in back-order. I doubt this will solve the problem when they will receive the new one and replace in the PT700. One month ago I was able to contact Pana USA by email and they gived me some help but as soon they realized i am in Canada ther refer me to Pana Canada who tells me (final answer) there is no Known Power supply problems with PT700. Panasonic have no trouble historics and, as I am concern, Pana Canada and Pana USA do not collaborate togetrer.

Replacing ballast is a fix i could do myself, I am technician but not specialized in that kind of stuff. But the problem is if I order a ballast by myself and replace by myself they will not refound the ballast if it dont solve the problem. The svc. center do not have this problem because the have arrangement to send back the ballast to Pana. Finally I do not have any other choice, accepting the estimate of the svc. center, 450$, to replace the ballast. They tells estimate is not guarantee, that mean if it dont work i do not have to pay... but it don't give me my PT700. As I could see, there is at least one credible man on that earth aware of the problem. Is there any way to put Service Center in contact with peoples who experienced this trouble? Maybe you??

Does this service center have any power supplies in stock? If so have them install a new one real quick to test it. It should be fixed. I'm not really sure if there's anything I can say to your service center. I don't work for Panasonic, I just work for their USA national service center.
post #26 of 101 Old 07-31-2006, 08:33 PM

MrFrent.
I am sorry if you consider our opinion as a personnal attack. I think this is not intensional. As I am concern I really appreciate your help and glad to exchange with a guy aware of the problem. I also agree with you when you say there is a lot of units working well for more than 2000 hours.

I live in Quebec City and it is probably a part of the problem. There is not a lot of PT700 in Quebec CT and the Panasonic service center who have my projector is an authorized dealer having no parts in stock.

Now I just let you know why i am so frustrated!!!?*(&?%%/")((

1- The projector is at the dealer for more than 40 days without finding the problem.
2- I am electronic technician and Last month I finally contact USA Panasonic Cust. Service and they stop assist me as soon as they realized I was Canadian. They only tell (no refer) to contact my nearest Panasonic Can. service center (do you know the nearest is 200miles away) great joke... do you agree.
3-I called Canadian service center (the one 200miles away) telling I am technicianand they refuse to help me saying '' locate the nearest Aut, dealer and ask them to take a look''. I FEEL LIKE A MECHANIC WHO COULD NOT FIX IS OWN CAR.
4-In Quebec CT there is only Aut. Dealers, having no replacement parts. They order from Panasonic and it takes 1 to 4 week each times.
5- Despite the fact I gived link to many forums regarding on/off problem w PT700, the Aut dealer called Panasonic Engeneer and they tells to replace the ballast. I am still waiting for Service Center replace that... ballast and I have doubts it will solve the problem.
6- They refuse to assumate their diagnostic by refusing to ship the ballast to me and fix myself pretending that they will be no refound if it do not solve the problem. I don't have any other choice to ask Dealer to fix the projector just because Panasonic accept to make arrangement with. I doubt I will probably have to fight with the excessive 450$ they want to charge just for the ballast and suspect they will tell me that finally the power supply and the ballast was defect and charge me more$$. (Am I too suspicious)
7- I don't have any idea when my projector will be fixed.

That all for today, Goodnight I am gone
post #27 of 101 Old 08-01-2006, 05:11 AM

What version of the 700 do you have? Is it a 700U? 700E? I only know of those two. THe 700U is the US version, and the 700E is the European version, and the main noticable difference is that the 700E has a SCART connection on the back. I don't know if there's a Canadian version out there or not. We mostly service 700U's. but every now and then someone will send us a 700E. Of course we can't fix this in warranty, but sometimes the customer will go ahead and pay us for out of warranty service, and we will fix his 700E as well. Both models use the same power supply. The reason I'm asking is if you have one of these two models, and want to pay for the shipping, give Heartland a call and see if you can send it to us. Tell them you know there will be out of warranty charges since you live in Canada. I THINK the power supply costs like $70-80 and our service fee is anywhere from $130-150. There are no guarantees. Keep it in mind. Check out Heartland at http://www.heartlandsi.com/
post #28 of 101 Old 08-01-2006, 06:28 AM

MrFent,

Thanks for the link. This is a 700U

As per specified the projector at the Dealer for 40 days and having no other solutions (at this specific moment), I gived autorisation to proceed in ballast replacement. Eventually If replacing the ballast not solve the problem i will fight for the 450$ charge and I will try to contact Heartland or other Panasonic parts supplyer and probably order the power supply and fix myself.

Could you comment the 450$ for a Ballast (part and 1 1/2h manwork)? It seems to me excessive!
post #29 of 101 Old 08-01-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointous View Post

MrFent,

Could you comment the 450$ for a Ballast (part and 1 1/2h manwork)? It seems to me excessive!

I'd have to check to see what we charge, I don't think it's anywhere near that much.
post #30 of 101 Old 08-01-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFent View Post

Hey guys, I actually work at Heartland, the national service center. I replace these power supplies all the time. And yes, when the 700 does a cycle of powering on and off, it is indeed the power supply that has failed... not the ballast. If you are having trouble with this issue, send your 700 to us.. don't trust a local service center. We keep a large inventory of parts in stock, and our turn time is usually a week or less. We are located in Leawood, Kansas

Heartland fixed my 700 4 months ago. It has been perfect ever sense. They have great service.

Fent sound like you may have fixed my 700.

Stephen
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page