Official Optoma EP719/DX605 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 88 Old 03-17-2006, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If another dedicated thead exists, I couldn't find it.

As far as I've observed and read, the DX605 is a rebadged (for TigerDirect, if not others) EP719. It's been compared favorably to the Sharp XR-10X, I'll list the specs below.

XGA Resolution
DLP ('Dark Chip' for better blacks)
2000 lumens (1750 in economy mode)
2000 hours lamp (3000 in eco mode)
2500:1 Contrast Ratio
4.4lbs (2kg) - some say build quality is inferior to the XR10X, but it's half the weight so...
Color wheel speed is not precisely known. Broad speculation suggests 2x, but one review (projectors411) says it's 4x speed. 4 segments (RGB+W (clear)).
Throw is a little on the longer side (check projector central for details)
All the standard inputs for a business projector + DVI (HDCP enabled) - VGA has both input and output.
Comes with a small, reportedly good carrying case.

Ringing up well under $1k, it's a strong contender in the Budget/Light Canon group.

The consensus with these 2k lumen DLPs is that they benefit from a gray wall/ND filter/negative gain screen. The 719 supports 'window mode' which allows for a fixed 16:9 screen with 4:3 material inside the 16:9 frame with vertical bars on the sides. This is popular since much of/most 4:3 content is SD television and no one wants to watch that at 100". It's has something like Sharp's 'image shift' which enables you to choose which portion of the 4:3 image you want to move the 16:9 frame up or down to. This amounts to 1-side masking, instead of top and bottom.

I ordered mine some time back but I won't get to test it for another month or so - review forthcoming but be patient with me.

The two reports from people who've seen both the XR10X and the 719 give the 719 a slight edge, if any.

I'd LOVE to hear from other 719 owners. Problems, fixes, screen suggestions, comparisons etc. I'd also like to know if the clear segment (white) can be disabled through some setting, like it can on the XR10X.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 03-18-2006, 07:53 AM

I have had my ep719 since Christmas and love the thing. I am using it as a Home Theater projector hooked up to digital cable and a HTPC. Movies look wonderful, High def is great and standard tv is even very watchable. I am still tweaking the image from time to time (always seeing if I can't make it look better....just a little obssesive) but I am totally convinced this was a great buy. My wife is hooked as well and that is not easy to do. I compared it side by side at a local tiger direct outlet (the dx605 which is the same thing) with an infocus 4805 and the ep719 to my eye won hands down.

My only complaint has been with a slight burning plastic smell during the 1st week of owning it but it quickly went away. I also did see some rainbows at first, but only because I was really looking for them....sometimes I think having too much info can be a bad thing. Now that I am not trying to find them, I dont see them.

If you are on the hunt for a new projector, give this one a look...you won't be disappointed
post #3 of 88 Old 03-19-2006, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info CBWilliams - just 2 questions for you:

1) Do you have a lot of ambient light? Do you find the brightness over-powering (washing out) in in a totally dark room?

2) What kind of a screen are you using?

Thanks again!
post #4 of 88 Old 03-22-2006, 12:26 PM

I have an optoma 719 that I ordered through best buy before the stores were stocking them, I've been very happy with it. Anyway, I'm using a DIY blackout cloth screen and have been wanting an ND2 filter. My question is what size though. There aren't any threads for a filter so are people just taping them in place?
post #5 of 88 Old 03-22-2006, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Ian - can I assume you're using the gray side of the BOC and it's still too bright? After messing with the settings it's still too bright? I've been planning to shoot to a gray wall with a little ambient light and that it would be ok - but if that's not your experience I need to think about a ND filter, too.

My problem is that I'm in India and have friends bringing all my American goodies (including the new PJ) so I need to decide what all I need sight-unseen. No luxery of just deciding later that I need a ND filter - so I'll be very interested to hear how others respond to this question.

As for your question of what size, 3 qualifying questions:
A) How far away do you plan to have most of your seating?
B) Do you watch a lot of SD, or mostly DVD-HDTV?
C) If you do watch 4:3 SD, do you watch it in 'window' mode?

Personally I'm planning on roughly 90" wide screen while seated roughly 12 feet away.
post #6 of 88 Old 03-23-2006, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm curious if you guys proud owners of the optoma EP719 can check one small thing for me.

I'm contemplating of using a cheap, bright business-type 4:3 DLP for my family room home theatre. I already have a 16:9 screen and an anamorphic lens (panamorph 752). I need the 4:3 DLP projector to scale HDTV (720p or 1080i) and fill the whole 4:3 panel, so that after the anamorphic lens, the correct 16:9 aspect ratio is preserved.

I'm wondering if anyone of you can check whether the projector does it with an 16:9 HDTV signal through the DVI port.

Many thanks!
post #7 of 88 Old 03-23-2006, 08:27 AM

I got a EP719, its awesome.. Great color reproduction (when set correctly), very sharp picture through DVI.. But i am wondering how to improve the black levels (they seem more of a grey, rather then a deep black), i have a 1.1 gain 100" Da-lite High Contrast Matte-White screen, and i was wondering if some kind of filter (ND2?) would help the blacks..
I have plenty of slack with the whites and lighter colors, so if it dims it down some that would be okay..

The projector is sitting about 13 ft back from the screen.. This is also in a completely dark room..
post #8 of 88 Old 03-23-2006, 05:45 PM

I've got an EP719 and love it. Mine was an open box item at Best Buy so I got it for $900 around Thanksgiving. I use a SA 8300HD DVR (hate it) to run the thing. The picture is very nice but the DVR sucks. Even my ReplayTV looks pretty good with s-video. My room is not dark my any stretch of the mean. The room is about 15x25. I've got 3 60W can lights going in the room when I watch TV most of the time. One of these days I'm going to install a dimmer. The wall I project onto is a offwhite-gold (the call it "bone") painted wall. One of these days when I "finish" my installation, I'm going to paint the wall an appropriate color.

Would the appropriate color be flat white? Gray? .......

Right now, my setup is a 8300DVR, EP719 projector, and Onkyo 5.1 suround sound. So for $1200 + my monthly cable bill, I've got a pretty reasonable system. It even passed the wife test. She was skeptical.

My next project is to dump the 8300DVR. I'm building a HTPC. I'm going to try MythTV first. I've got a HD tuner on order.

Replay_boy
post #9 of 88 Old 03-24-2006, 10:48 AM

I have been using a business class projector in my home theater and if you are looking for a paint solution for black enhancement/brightness reduction - Paint your wall/screen with Behr Silverscreen - (Behr Ultra pure white tinted to swatch 7702E) - see the DIY screen forum for more details - this will darken your black levels and cut down brightness - you also get ambient light rejection as well - 3 for the price of 1 quart of paint. Forget the ND2 - you won't need it.
post #10 of 88 Old 03-24-2006, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Metablob! I posted a 'what paint for 719' in the XR10X DIY screen thread (they're very similar by all reports) and that's what Bud helped me conclude - something like silverscreen (I'm not the US so don't have the exact option) however when I looked online at the Behr website the SS looks a lot darker gray than what I was expecting. He checked it out and said yeah go a couple shades lighter than the SilverScreen on the Behr Website (hard to get it - have to do a flash pop-up to find SS color sample).

Any other users want to share their DIY screen/paint results?
post #11 of 88 Old 03-28-2006, 06:44 AM

Silverscreen does look dark, but the true test is to fire up the projector zomm in a little and fire a black screen to it - pause a DVD. You will more than likely see the projector field dimmly displayed within a darker frame . This field should be as black as the surrounding screen that does not receive any light.

Try printing a greyscale on a sheet of paper and use that as your guide to the ammount of gray that you need. Once you have the appropriate shade of gray, then try to match that to your paint.
post #12 of 88 Old 04-15-2006, 04:30 PM

Hiya folks, I've got a EP719 also. Been using it for a week now and I find it way black. I went the Behr SS route as everyone in many threads all over seemed to recommend and it looks quite nice. Black is black, white is white. The problem is that dark grey, dark red, dark blue, dark ... ; it all seems to blur into black. Really nice dark black.

Thus movies like Sin City, Spiderman, Hunt for Red October, Emily Rose, and so on, the ones with really dark scenes and lots of them. They all blur into black so much, that I find it nearly unwatchable. Bright light on one side of a face is great, dark shading on the other just goes to black with no in between almost.

Any ideas on what to change? If it helps, I'm running via Svideo from my older Sony reciever till I can upgrade to a newer Yamaha upconverting reciever with HDMI/DVI. At this place returning it to Best Buy is what will happen since half of what I watch is unwatchable.

Quietas
HT in the Far North
post #13 of 88 Old 04-30-2006, 06:25 PM

on optoma's site, the dx605 is 1800 lumens and the ep719 is 2000 lumens according to the specs. How much diff does 200 lumens make?
post #14 of 88 Old 04-30-2006, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not on broadband so I don't want to spend too much time double-checking the 1800 lumens claim on the website but all of the literature I've seen from the few stores selling this unit (btw it's got an extra $100 rebate 'today' from Tiger) says 2000 lumens. I think the most telling confirmation that it's the same unit with the same brightness is the fact that both require the exact same replacement bulb.

Interestingly the manual from Tigerdirect.com (from Optoma) gives no listing of the lumens - http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/Op...5%20Manual.pdf

Worst case scenario they somehow drive down the brightness via software and it's only 1800 lumens - I'd say it's an imperceptable difference. 2000 lumens is only when all the settings are maxed out for brightness - you'd have a horrible picture at 2000 lumens. This is the same with all projectors, so buying this one gives you more flexibility to use it in well-lit situations - you can always dial the brightness down for darker situations, but you can only go up as far as the bulb will permit.

Also sorry guys for not doing a review. I only got my unit in my hands a week ago and have been extremely busy. Used it (with very little calibration) for a kids Vacation Bible School thing and it was quite good - brighter than my last PJ and better looking, but I haven't done anything in my HT yet so will have to get back to you all.
post #15 of 88 Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 PM

Hmmm... maybe I should save the 200 bux and get the 605 if 200 lumens won't make too much diff... but now I am concerned about the darks fading to black issue. Would a projector with a higher contrast ratio help this or is this about the dark chip on optomas? I want it not only for presentations from a laptop in a moderately lit conference room, but also for doing indie film fests by low-fi local filmmakers. Movietime maybe? But 1000 lumens seems like it would be too dim...

Thanks for the advice
post #16 of 88 Old 05-03-2006, 05:15 PM

Hi all, I'm new to HT but not to computers. I've had my ep719 for a few months now. Today I played my xbox360 for a couple of hours. The 719's fan is supposed to stay on for a few seconds after turning off the projector, but mine is still running now, 30 minutes after shutting it off. Should I be worried?
post #17 of 88 Old 05-04-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3bgrl View Post

Hmmm... maybe I should save the 200 bux and get the 605 if 200 lumens won't make too much diff... but now I am concerned about the darks fading to black issue. Would a projector with a higher contrast ratio help this or is this about the dark chip on optomas? I want it not only for presentations from a laptop in a moderately lit conference room, but also for doing indie film fests by low-fi local filmmakers. Movietime maybe? But 1000 lumens seems like it would be too dim...

Thanks for the advice

You should not have to worry about that (I do not have that problem).
Just make sure you play around with the settings until you get what you want..

Also, i would not recommend using S-video or Composite video (single rca), i would use at least Component (red,green,blue rca's), VGA, or DVI if possible..

The results i got with S-video were pretty horrible, so i got better cables (using VGA to component, and DVI) and it looks wonderful.
post #18 of 88 Old 05-04-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietas View Post

Hiya folks, I've got a EP719 also. Been using it for a week now and I find it way black. I went the Behr SS route as everyone in many threads all over seemed to recommend and it looks quite nice. Black is black, white is white. The problem is that dark grey, dark red, dark blue, dark ... ; it all seems to blur into black. Really nice dark black.

Thus movies like Sin City, Spiderman, Hunt for Red October, Emily Rose, and so on, the ones with really dark scenes and lots of them. They all blur into black so much, that I find it nearly unwatchable. Bright light on one side of a face is great, dark shading on the other just goes to black with no in between almost.

Any ideas on what to change? If it helps, I'm running via Svideo from my older Sony reciever till I can upgrade to a newer Yamaha upconverting reciever with HDMI/DVI. At this place returning it to Best Buy is what will happen since half of what I watch is unwatchable.

Get better cables, S-video looks horrible because this projector doesen't do well with interlaced signals (this includes s-video, composite, and coaxial).
post #19 of 88 Old 05-04-2006, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I finally got 10 hours on my PJ, 8 hours of kids movies in a well-lit room (via S-Video - not much visible improvement from my old PJ there) and 2 hours of 24, along with a test 5-10 minutes of LotR:FotR in 720P and some web browsing. The latter tests were from my HTPC via DVI and oh my I am pleased! I researched this for ages and had my two most-techie friends over for 24 at long-last. Still shooting to a white-ish matte wall, will start testing coats of gray soon. Blacks were way better. This was straight 350mb XVID torrents from HDTV sources and there was a LOT more shadow detail. The DarkChip works. I had the brightness dialed way down (brightness around 40% and white peaking at 0 - good to have it through for presentations) and it was PLENTY of pop and great blacks and shadow detail.

The 720P .ts movie clip was amazing. Not sure I could tell the difference between the 576P and the native 720P - there was WAY more detail than on DVD. Pixel mapped DVI is just the best looking image I've ever seen. XGA web-surfing was also really great. In all the excitement we were just marveling at how great web pages looked, how fun it is to browse at 90" and were saying, 'Wow 500 lumens and 64% more pixels sure makes a HUGE difference... oh yeah and it's got better contrast (2500 vs 2000:1 on the old PJ)...' but it took me about 30 minutes to clue inL: 'Ah! Guys the reason it looks so freaking incredible is because it's over DVI, not VGA like the last one' and immediately we recognized the same difference we've seen in LCD displays with VGA vs DVI - way way way crisper, better contrast, popping text. Down to $800-ish (after rebate, migthe be gone now but it'll come again) this is totally the PJ to beat IMHO for multi-tasking and even a very strong contender for dedicated HT in over-lit situations.

The 576P looked SO much better than 720P scaled down to SVGA's 450P (did I just make that resolution up?). At 450P (vga connection) I could see a slight increase in detail over DVD, at 576P I feel like I'm watching full-on HD and makes me look upon my DVD library with scorn.

Had the burning plastic smell but it wasn't crazy-bad like some people have said - almost gone now I think. It's very small and light - and I wouldn't say badly built at all - the case is nice too but not room for any long cables or many goodies.

All in all, a VERY worthy upgrade from 1500 lumen SVGA DLP. Does everything better, can't wait to push my Keynote Presentations to XGA, should be a great all-rounder.
post #20 of 88 Old 05-09-2006, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 View Post

Well I finally got 10 hours on my PJ, 8 hours of kids movies in a well-lit room (via S-Video - not much visible improvement from my old PJ there) and 2 hours of 24, along with a test 5-10 minutes of LotR:FotR in 720P and some web browsing. The latter tests were from my HTPC via DVI and oh my I am pleased! I researched this for ages and had my two most-techie friends over for 24 at long-last. Still shooting to a white-ish matte wall, will start testing coats of gray soon. Blacks were way better. This was straight 350mb XVID torrents from HDTV sources and there was a LOT more shadow detail. The DarkChip works. I had the brightness dialed way down (brightness around 40% and white peaking at 0 - good to have it through for presentations) and it was PLENTY of pop and great blacks and shadow detail.

The 720P .ts movie clip was amazing. Not sure I could tell the difference between the 576P and the native 720P - there was WAY more detail than on DVD. Pixel mapped DVI is just the best looking image I've ever seen. XGA web-surfing was also really great. In all the excitement we were just marveling at how great web pages looked, how fun it is to browse at 90" and were saying, 'Wow 500 lumens and 64% more pixels sure makes a HUGE difference... oh yeah and it's got better contrast (2500 vs 2000:1 on the old PJ)...' but it took me about 30 minutes to clue inL: 'Ah! Guys the reason it looks so freaking incredible is because it's over DVI, not VGA like the last one' and immediately we recognized the same difference we've seen in LCD displays with VGA vs DVI - way way way crisper, better contrast, popping text. Down to $800-ish (after rebate, migthe be gone now but it'll come again) this is totally the PJ to beat IMHO for multi-tasking and even a very strong contender for dedicated HT in over-lit situations.

The 576P looked SO much better than 720P scaled down to SVGA's 450P (did I just make that resolution up?). At 450P (vga connection) I could see a slight increase in detail over DVD, at 576P I feel like I'm watching full-on HD and makes me look upon my DVD library with scorn.

Had the burning plastic smell but it wasn't crazy-bad like some people have said - almost gone now I think. It's very small and light - and I wouldn't say badly built at all - the case is nice too but not room for any long cables or many goodies.

All in all, a VERY worthy upgrade from 1500 lumen SVGA DLP. Does everything better, can't wait to push my Keynote Presentations to XGA, should be a great all-rounder.

If you do not mind me asking, what kind of screen have you settled on? I'm looking at a few issues with my projector and I do not know if it is the fact I am shooting it against a "bone" colored wall or if it is the projector.

*** EDIT ***
Guess I should put in what my issues are =-)

When the wife and I were watching History of Violence, which is a dark movie, we would not be able to see anything in the dark areas and in instances where a guy in a black(i think it was black) suit was in a semi-lit room he would POP from the screen also like the contract was wrong (or how it looks when you look at an LCD from a wonky angle). Also the wife kept commenting that all the BLUEs on the screen would pop out. After she said it I did notice his blue jeans would show crystal clear while other areas of the screen looks like utter crap.
post #21 of 88 Old 05-09-2006, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't have my final screen going yet. Right now I'm shooting to a near-white wall, actually slightly, faintly rose pink color, but very close to white. Probably not too different than our situation. I didn't play with the setttings for long, but I did drop the 'white peaking' all the way down to 0 and still had plenty of juice left over. That's my guess for lack of dark detail, too bright. Remember that it's best to think of the 'brightness' setting as 'brightness of black' and 'contrast' as 'brightness of white' when adjusting. A little weird but that's helped me to make sense of my settings and get them to respond the way I'm expecting as I adjust them. Any ambient light hitting directly onto the screen? That'll also kill shadow detail.

Good luck!
post #22 of 88 Old 05-09-2006, 10:42 PM

The projector is a native 4:3 correct? How does the projector look in 16:9, do you lose any image quality?

Rock Chalk
post #23 of 88 Old 05-09-2006, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

4:3 correct. In 16:9 you still have an image that's 1024x576, so yes you lose some resolution, but what you're left with is pretty stinking good - in my brief HD demo it was indistinguishable to me vs HD and WAY better than DVDs. DVD look good at this res also because there's a relatively lot of pixels to scale the image up cripsly.
post #24 of 88 Old 05-10-2006, 06:25 AM

i took a few pictures of the room and I will get them posted later.

When I post the pictures I will make sure some of my menu settings are taken to gie you an idea of what I did to make it look ok.
post #25 of 88 Old 05-10-2006, 07:34 AM

I think there may be something wrong with my EP719... I was wondering if anyone else has noticed or had this problem? My projector appears to be losing lumens... I bought the 3 year warranty from best buy when I bought this puppy becuase they provide free bulb replacements... so I've not used ECO mode at all and I have almost 700 hours on this bad boy now.

However, the lumens are more like 500 now than 2000. It used to be bright and enjoyable, but now that summer time is almost here and the sun stays out late at night, it's really hard to see my flat white zero gain electric screen.

Has anyone else had this problem? It looks very much like the old days of having a CRT monitor going bad almost... like there is no red gun or something. It's lacking a lot of power. I've cranked up the brightness and gamma on my HTPC but that just washes out the picture and it really doesn't make it brighter.

Last night it really bugged me because we were watching normal TV around 10PM long after there is no ambient light and it was STILL hard to see with absolutely no lights in the room... That's when I knew something was up. Does anyone else here have more hours on their projector than me and NOT use ECO mode? I'm wondering if that has something to do with it?
post #26 of 88 Old 05-10-2006, 10:28 AM

I have less then 20 hours on the projector so I could not speak to this. have you tried optoma support? They were not very helpful to me at first but they have gotten better.
post #27 of 88 Old 05-10-2006, 12:35 PM

You have less than 20 hours and have had to contact their support more than once? How come? That kind of worries me
post #28 of 88 Old 05-10-2006, 12:39 PM

i opened a ticket first thing out of the box because I actually got a bad projector out of the box. White wasn't white. So I contacted support and after about a week they responded with "Send it in with an RMA form and we will send you a replacement." If the item is new we will send a new item, otherwise a refurb would have shown up. Anyway I took it back to Fry's and they gave me another one out of stock and that one worked great.

The second support request to them was my being ignorant. Suffice it to say once I found this forum my question was answered =-)
post #29 of 88 Old 05-11-2006, 09:08 PM

just an update... I brought it back to best buy and exchanged it under their warranty program... got it home, hooked it up - OH MY GOSH WHAT A DIFFERENCE... this thing had to be losing it's power since day one... it is so bright it lights up my 22x26 room easily - even with all 600 watts of lights on - you can still easily see the screen.

Does this mean I had a bad model from the get-go? Or does this mean that these projectors are made to fade over time? I'll be honest - I wasn't even sure if it was getting dimmer or if I was just going crazy here at the end - but something tells me I would not have been happy with it if I had gotten it and it were that dim from the start - and I remember being really happy

So for all of you with new projectors - try taking a picture of it late at night on a tripod with no flash and remember (write down) the settings of your digital camera so you can compare one month from now and see if it's just as bright or not... that's what I plan on doing tomorrow after I get the place tidy'd up a bit.

I hope it was a fluke - I'd hate to replace my projector every 688 hours like this last one.
post #30 of 88 Old 05-13-2006, 11:26 PM

Has anybody put silverscreen on a parkland (textured side) like me? If so, try the value '6' for the degamma setting. It looks much better than my wall.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page