InFocus 4805 (854x480) and Vinc. Bravo D1 Specific Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2689 Old 04-21-2006, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bub,

Maybe you just have a bad drive? Any chance you could return it for a new one? You guys have me very gun-shy about replacing my fuss. I bought a 16P9S at Wally World the other day but I have not had the time to change it. I have had very little trouble with the fuss so far (ie pops when manually changing chapters open and close the door once in a while otherwise it has been fine) but my Sony DVD does that on occasion. I sure hope it is just a bad unit and the next one might take care of the issue.

Good luck Bub

Home Theater is a great way to check your Wife's Blood Pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2689 Old 04-21-2006, 08:46 PM

I replaced my Fuss loader with the Lite-on 16P1S after doing the cap mod and gluing the caps.
I wasn't having many issues with the Fuss, I just wanted a more dependable drive. I put in the 16P1S after patching the speed to 4x. After installing I was having some pauses on a couple DVD's that were not random, they were repeatable at the same spots. I opened the D1 and attached the drive to my computer and played with PowerDVD and was having the same problems at the same spots on the DVD's. I reflashed the firmware back to the stock firmware and the problems stopped.
Anyone that has this drive installed at 4x speed and has the movie The Brothers Grimm, I was getting pauses just after 21 minutes into the movie. After changing back to stock firmware the pauses stopped.

Tradewinds, are you just playing DVD+R , or have you tried many DL original disks? The DVD played fine on my other DVD players.
post #633 of 2689 Old 04-21-2006, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I have not played anything other than original DVDs. Just finished King Kong with absolutely no problems and that is a long movie. I'm not sure where you got your 4x firmware from (i.e. did you patch yourself using Omnipatcher?) but you can try downloading the one I had posted which is the exact one that I am using:

16P1S GS02 4x Firmware

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #634 of 2689 Old 04-22-2006, 04:58 AM

Add one more to the 4805 + Bravo D1 user crowd. This thing blows my previous DvD player out of the water (modded Samsung 841HD). I recieved the D1 new from Newegg this week and on first use (stock with the 72 custom res settings) through 2 movies it played flawlessly. It has a slighty longer load time than the 841 but as said before its worth it. The only bummer for me was the problems with remote signals overlapping with my pioneer reciever.

Whenever I think I found the correct answer some wiseguy decides to change the question.
post #635 of 2689 Old 04-22-2006, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

I have not played anything other than original DVDs. Just finished King Kong with absolutely no problems and that is a long movie. I'm not sure where you got your 4x firmware from (i.e. did you patch yourself using Omnipatcher?) but you can try downloading the one I had posted which is the exact one that I am using:

16P1S GS02 4x Firmware

I used the 4x firmware you posted. I even went back to Code Guys for the stock fw and used omnipatcher with the same results. I played King Kong without problems at 4x. It was my DL backup copy of King Kong that I first noticed the pauses and again on a rented disk of The Brothers Grim (it may be a rare occurrence). It played most movies without a hitch. I hope yours doesn't have any problems. It may be an issue with mine only but now that I am back to stock fw it is playing fine. I do have another 16P1S in my other computer so I may test it as well or if I have problems with the faster speed I may just go back to the Fuss. The Fuss was only a little slow to load and slow to return to play after pause.
post #636 of 2689 Old 04-22-2006, 06:57 AM
bub
Advanced Member

Homer,
My exercise in futility with the D1 and 16P9S ended up costing me the $4 shipping from NewEgg. When I called them regarding the 16P9S (I had read that this drive does NOT have the 512kb buffer that Lite-On claims, but only 256kb -I forget where I read this but there is talk on the internet about it.), I mentioned I was having problems with it skipping and the talk about the buffer specifications being wrong. NewEgg immediately offered to either refund my money and send the drive back or give me a $20 credit good on my next purchase and I could keep the drive. I opted for the latter so this little fiasco with the Lite-On 16P9S drive only cost me the shipping charge from NewEgg, I think $4.

I'm not sure what my next course of action will be. Since putting back in the FUSS loader, I've watched Godfather 1 and 2 and last night, Ice Age with the kids, without one single glitch. What's the point then? The drive is flaky when it comes to loading DVD's and sometimes after being paused for extended periods of time, but once you get the DVD to load, you are good to go. Layer changes have been quick and sure.

It seems on the extended pausing issue, that after you un-pause the video is frozen for a few seconds while the DVD continues to play, and then it will 'snap' back into sync. It IS annoying and I wish it wouldn't do this but for generaly pausing, it isn't an issue, only when you pause for an extended period.

I might try to find the 176T, or is it 167T, or I might just live with it. One thing I feel good about is that I re-did the cap mod. The last time was my very first time at soldering and I was never 100% sure I did a great job at it. This time, I cleaned the old solder off really good and placed a bunch of silicone down underneath and surrounding the replacement cap. My solder job underneath was much cleaner this time. That cap is like a rock now. Even that and the fact I sat the 16P9S on top of the FUSS loader on a soft cloth folded over many times was not enough to get the 16P9S to perform without problems, weird.

Thanks all for the help and good luck. If anybody has any advice for what to do next, let me know.
George -bub

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1963 View Post

Bub,

Maybe you just have a bad drive? Any chance you could return it for a new one? You guys have me very gun-shy about replacing my fuss. I bought a 16P9S at Wally World the other day but I have not had the time to change it. I have had very little trouble with the fuss so far (ie pops when manually changing chapters open and close the door once in a while otherwise it has been fine) but my Sony DVD does that on occasion. I sure hope it is just a bad unit and the next one might take care of the issue.

Good luck Bub

post #637 of 2689 Old 04-22-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bub View Post

It seems on the extended pausing issue, that after you un-pause the video is frozen for a few seconds while the DVD continues to play, and then it will 'snap' back into sync. It IS annoying and I wish it wouldn't do this but for generaly pausing, it isn't an issue, only when you pause for an extended period.

I might try to find the 176T, or is it 167T, or I might just live with it.
George -bub

I still do have the picture freeze after extended pause issue with LiteOn 167T just as I did with FUSS. I doubt that this is loader related. Just so that you know.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #638 of 2689 Old 04-22-2006, 08:16 AM
bub
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

I still do have the picture freeze after extended pause issue with LiteOn 167T just as I did with FUSS. I doubt that this is loader related. Just so that you know.

Thanks Alex, that little piece of information is very useful to me. What is the point of all this loader mods if there is no benefit? Am I missing something?

George -bub
post #639 of 2689 Old 04-22-2006, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bub View Post

Thanks Alex, that little piece of information is very useful to me. What is the point of all this loader mods if there is no benefit? Am I missing something?

George -bub

bud, before I replaced the FUSS with LiteOn 167T I was having all sort of problems even after the cap mode. Picture freeze, image breakup, blank screen with audio only and having extremely difficult time playing my burned DVD-R and +R albeit not all of the time and of course the slow loading. The LiteOn cured all of these problems except for the picture freeze after an extended pause. That little glitch is annoying but how many times do I pause for extended time? Beside with Liteon 167T fast loading, I find pressing stop and then play key far better than using the pause key for extended pause. The 167T is very hard to find but for me it was a Godsend for all of my D1/FUSS problems.

post #640 of 2689 Old 04-22-2006, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

also, I prefer the replaced LiteOn too since at least for me it is much faster at loading and opening and again, works flawlessly. The FUSS to me was slow in all ways and did have at least a couple of stutters during a movie.

post #641 of 2689 Old 04-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

after eXtended PAUSE...gone 2 bathroom...cooking PoPcorn
action for about 1/2 second (probably the BUFFER)
then WAIT until the DRIVE regains Speed 3-4sec (it Shuts Down--Stops Spinning)
this is a GOOD thing i think....Y leave it spinning while your ON-the phone--doing Laundry??

i have the LiteOn 167T in my Bravo D1
but i have a LiteOn 16P9S in my Momitsu V880DX (almost same player)
and NO problems either machine

all though it looks TRUE about Buffer size

LiteOn 167T == 512kb Buffer
LiteOn 16P9S = 256kb Buffer
LiteOn 16P1S = 256kb Buffer

LiteOn SOHD-167T Specs
post #642 of 2689 Old 04-23-2006, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the Buffer sizes are correct, but for DVD Video I don't think the buffer size comes into any real play to make a difference.

post #643 of 2689 Old 04-23-2006, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Just another data point:

Prologue: I've been using the D1 (with cap mod and silicone damping on the caps) with the original FUSS loader with no problems other than slow loading, slow layer change, 5 second freeze after a lengthy pause, and very occasional need to power cycle to get a disc recognized. So I wasn't unhappy at this point.

But, I got a 16P1S anyway to try to eliminate at least a few of these annoyances. I finally had the time to give it a go today. My result were disappointing. Here are the steps I followed:

1) Flashed the DVD drive with the 4X patched firmware, and set to region 1 (I don't care about region-free).
2) Removed the disc tray nosepiece and front bezel from the drive.
3) Removed FUSS loader from D1 and installed its tray nosepiece onto the 16P1S tray.
4) Using thick double-sided ahesive foam tape, installed the new drive in the D1 for clean open and close function.

From the first movie I tried, I saw frequent stutter and skips, even in the menu sequences.

I didn't use rubber washers or anything else on the PS board - I just don't think a proper loader replacement should require this.

I did notice that when the drive spun up, it was quiet but the vibration was quite noticable.

I put the FUSS loader back in and I'll live with it as is. Only one of two things would make me give it another shot:

1) if someone creates a firmware for the drive that reduces the speed to 1X (hopefully reducing the vibration as well).

2) the original FUSS loader dies. Then I'll be forced to work on it until I find a solution that works.

Anybody think a 1X firmware is possible for the 16P1S?

"If you're not passing anyone, get the hell out of the passing lane!"
post #644 of 2689 Old 04-23-2006, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

And in related news, I think I may have realized why I wasn't as "wowed" as some of you guys were with the D1's picture. If I watch a DVD with a different player, then watch it with the D1, I can see the difference pretty easily.

But the thing is, I watch more HDTV on my 4805 than I do DVD's. A lot more. So that was the standard that was in my head when I first viewed the D1's picture. I should've watched some DVDs on my previous player just before setting up the D1 - the difference would have been more apparent to me had I done so.

post #645 of 2689 Old 04-23-2006, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post

I had asked the CodeGuys for this to be included in Omnipatcher but we concluded that it would not make much difference than 4x which ended up at least for me with not a single problem. They had indicated not to expect 1x in Omnipatcher but you can always try your luck.

Quote:

I didn't use rubber washers or anything else on the PS board - I just don't think a proper loader replacement should require this

I really don't know what to say about those that have had no luck with the 16P1S or similar but other than insisting on the rubber washers (I guess) which at least is the one difference I have along with the removal of the loader entire face plate, I cannot understand the difference. The root cause of all the problems is in fact the vibration to the PS, if you can find some way to remedy this you "should not" have any issues.

Maybe posting some pics could help in seeing any other differences.

post #646 of 2689 Old 04-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

And in related news, I think I may have realized why I wasn't as "wowed" as some of you guys were with the D1's picture. If I watch a DVD with a different player, then watch it with the D1, I can see the difference pretty easily.

But the thing is, I watch more HDTV on my 4805 than I do DVD's. A lot more. So that was the standard that was in my head when I first viewed the D1's picture. I should've watched some DVDs on my previous player just before setting up the D1 - the difference would have been more apparent to me had I done so.

Well yea the D1 on it's very best day will never look as good as HDTV - NEVER. Having said that when the new HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players arive in bulk Xmas 06, they will be a nice improvement over HDTV that you will see. D1 vs HDTV = disappointment for sure, but the D1 is one hell of a DVD player.
post #647 of 2689 Old 04-23-2006, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

This may help some of you with loader vibration issue. I have always used Blu-Tack to isolate vibration under all some of my AV gear. I use it secure my speakers to the stands, whenever I stack up DVD or CD players and so on. I used Blu-Tack under my LiteOn 167T, in conjunction with the 4x speed I didn't notice any vibration. Even if there was any, I am confident that the blu-tack will isolate it and thus prevent it from reaching the PS. Blu-tack is so cheap and has so many application it would hurt to try. Invaluable accessory to have around the house. I know most professional AV reviewers and audiophiles use blu-Tack to isolate any vibration between speakers and stands.
This is where I get my Blu-Tack supply. Blu-Tack
I usually get two packs for $7.75 shipped.

post #648 of 2689 Old 04-23-2006, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Good tip Alex. I know if I place my had on top of my D1, I could feel the vibration quite noticeably (I am using industrial strength velcro which does not eliminate vibration). Since I have the rubber washers, I guess it does not get to my PS to cause any issues. However, I may give the blu-tack a try to eliminate the vibration to the rest of the D1.

post #649 of 2689 Old 04-23-2006, 06:59 PM

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhomes View Post

Well yea the D1 on it's very best day will never look as good as HDTV - NEVER. Having said that when the new HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players arive in bulk Xmas 06, they will be a nice improvement over HDTV that you will see. D1 vs HDTV = disappointment for sure, but the D1 is one hell of a DVD player.

Early reports on the HD-DVD/4805 thread haven't been too encouraging..at least not enough for me to justify $550 for a 10-20% improvement in picture over the D1 with the 4805. We'll have to see what the other players can do, but I'm not convinced we're going to see that large a difference with this PJ anyway.
post #650 of 2689 Old 04-23-2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:

J

I had issues with the 16P1S at 4x speed but now that I have it flashed back to stock fw it has been flawless. I don' t think it is necessarily a vibration issue.
post #651 of 2689 Old 04-23-2006, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia1956 View Post

I had issues with the 16P1S at 4x speed but now that I have it flashed back to stock fw it has been flawless. I don' t think it is necessarily a vibration issue.

Well maybe if I get ambitious next weekend, I'll get some of that blu tack and give it a go...

post #652 of 2689 Old 04-23-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Well maybe if I get ambitious next weekend, I'll get some of that blu tack and give it a go...

The stock fw is 8x and playing fine on my D1. I used RTV blue silicon adhesive available at auto parts places and pieces of foam washers that come on cd cake packs to support the drive. Also used aluminum duct tape to help hold the drive in place until the silicon dried. The drive vibrates but has not caused any pauses since I changed the fw back to stock. Good luck if you try again. Tradewinds is having good luck at 4x speed but for whatever reasons it did not work for me, but 8x has been working great.
post #653 of 2689 Old 04-23-2006, 10:28 PM

Liked: 123
Introducing the new Sybil D1...with more personalities than you can count! Seems like everyone is getting a different personality with it.

If you've never seen Sybil, go rent it immediately. That show is completely whacked-out. "And the people...and the people...and the people..."
post #654 of 2689 Old 04-24-2006, 07:18 AM

OK, this is my first post so take it with a grain of salt. I have had my 4805 for a few months now and I just got a D1 from "that egg place" (not supposed to use supplier names I hear). Anyways, after much reading about the power supply vibration being one of the potential reasons for all of the problems I decided to just make the power supply external. I went to RS and got a small project box, lengthened the power switch cable, and the flat mutliwire cable that runs from the faceplate to the PS and the power cable for the loader. Now my power supply sits on a separate shelf just above the D1 and so far, so good. I still need to do the cap swap, but I just have not had the time. This also required me to cut a hole in the back of the D1 for all of the wires to run out of, but that was a small price to pay for the added stability. I now refer to it as "The Frankenplayer".
post #655 of 2689 Old 04-24-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgt6 View Post

I now refer to it as "The Frankenplayer".

Interesting idea. Note that the power supply produces its own high frequency vibrations and the caps still need to be secured with glue or else the vibration can cause unclean power output.
post #656 of 2689 Old 04-24-2006, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

lilgt6, I notice that my D1 can get quite hot to the touch at the top of the cover over the side where the PS is. With your external PS, does your D1 remain cool all the time?

post #657 of 2689 Old 04-24-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

lilgt6, I notice that my D1 can get quite hot to the touch at the top of the cover over the side where the PS is. With your external PS, does your D1 remain cool all the time?

To be honest, I have not really paid any attention with regard to temps. I have only watched one movie all the way through since I got the D1. I'll try to remember to check the temps and post back.
post #658 of 2689 Old 04-24-2006, 07:19 PM

Liked: 11
I recently connected my 4805 to the D1 via a 35' DVI/M1 cable from Monoprice.
I made all the recommended adjustments...native, RGB gains...offsets, etc. custom resolution with correct values. Unfortunately, my set-up screen and image is pink and missing color. I do not have this problem via the component or s-video inputs. The image via the other inputs is excellent.

Any thoughts? Do I have bad cable? Any insights are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

post #659 of 2689 Old 04-24-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post

I recently connected my 4805 to the D1 via a 35' DVI/M1 cable from Monoprice.
I made all the recommended adjustments...native, RGB gains...offsets, etc. custom resolution with correct values. Unfortunately, my set-up screen and image is pink and missing color. I do not have this problem via the component or s-video inputs. The image via the other inputs is excellent.

Any thoughts? Do I have bad cable? Any insights are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Probably bad cable....see this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ed#post7233117
post #660 of 2689 Old 04-24-2006, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post

Check the connectors/adapters at each end of the cable for bent pins. It's worth a shot.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page