Optoma HD6800 - Is this new? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the help with the DVI question...

I've had the Graywolf 1 previously, hooked up the 6800 for a few days wehn i first got it last week. Then yesterday put up the Graywolf 2. They both lack for ceiling mounting because of retroreflective qualities. I don't really see the difference between the two, maybe the grain of the GW2 is a bit smaller. They both make the image darker when viewing from a seated position, and it really bugs me during dark scenes. I worry that it will only get worse as the bulb dulls off a bit after a few hundred hours.

It strikes me as odd that they would put this package together (ceiling mount, screen, projector) when they seem to work poorly together. However, i have not seen a high contrast white screen in action to compare.

Has anyone with a ceiling mounted 6800 switched to a white screen for this reason? DId it make a difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 09:44 AM

Hey there fellow Vancouver Islander! Today should be the day that our projector arrives!!!!

Cheers,
Jay
post #453 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 10:57 AM

With all the talk of the GWII not being that fantasic maybe I should just stay with my DIY 118" Black Out Cloth screen I have as just love the size of it.

Now wonder what happens if I sell the GWII and end up returning the 6800 for some reason in the months ahead. Most likley not let me return it at Costco.
post #454 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post

With all the talk of the GWII not being that fantasic maybe I should just stay with my DIY 118" Black Out Cloth screen I have as just love the size of it.

Now wonder what happens if I sell the GWII and end up returning the 6800 for some reason in the months ahead. Most likley not let me return it at Costco.

I would expect CostCo to want the whole bundle returned - given the generous return policy, it would seem only fair
post #455 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe thinking too far ahead, but has anyone looked into how much a replacement bulb is going to cost us Canadians for the 6800's ?

Re the GWII screen, if you're thinking about using another screen I suggest placing the GW back in the box and storing somewhere safe, unless you want to give up your option of returning to costco.
post #456 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiBz View Post

Maybe thinking too far ahead, but has anyone looked into how much a replacement bulb is going to cost us Canadians for the 6800's ?

Re the GWII screen, if you're thinking about using another screen I suggest placing the GW back in the box and storing somewhere safe, unless you want to give up your option of returning to costco.

I was also wondering about the price of bulbs after using 1/1000 of its life in 1 night.

I think they are $400+
post #457 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I have and use the Costo Amex Platinum for all my purchases at Costco, online and instore.

I was just reading the Costco Amex card benefits and it extends the manufacturers warranty by double for a max of 1 additional year.

So it would only stand to reason that Amex doubles the warranty on the bulb too !

Costco Amex Benefits

Buyers Assurance Protection Plan details
post #458 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Flying_Fox, dude i think i got your screen ! Together we can make a home theater.

Guess what? The screen was delivered today! And I've heard yesterday on the phone from Optoma that it hasn't been sent yet.

Well, maybe they will send me yet another one...
post #459 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 01:06 PM

Reads

"Proof of purchase, a copy of the manufacturer's warranty and a description of the product are required to register your purchase."

Now do we need to register it when we buy or just if we have an issue later on, there is phone number provided also on the Amex site also for the plan, will call and double check myself in next couple days.

1-800-225-3750
post #460 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 01:27 PM

Third unit got here this morning before noon, as promised. UPS rocks.

- No whine. Pure silence. As quiet as my first unit, if not quieter.
- No smudges in optics.
- About the same brightness as second unit, so not as bright as first.

Watching Desperate Housewives on HD right now and the image is HEAVENLY.

So far so good. I am a happy man.
post #461 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reads

"Proof of purchase, a copy of the manufacturer's warranty and a description of the product are required to register your purchase."

Now do we need to register it when we buy or just if we have an issue later on, there is phone number provided also on the Amex site also for the plan, will call and double check myself in next couple days.

1-800-225-3750

We must think alike, I called that same nbr about an hour ago and got a really nice woman who was very helpful. According to her;

1. Amex doubles the manufacturers warranty up to an additional year. The limit is if the original warranty is 5 years, you get 6 yrs, no longer than this.

2. You don't need to register anything but you need to keep copies of your amex statement proving you used Amex to buy it. Your purchase receipt and manufacturers warranty details.

She also said if we buy an expensive item we always have the option of registering it so we don't have to look for paperwork(receipts etc) if a problem comes up later. She faxed me a form to fill in and fax back anytime I purchase something at my option. The warranty is automatic, you don't need to do this.

3. In the case of the 6800 I read her the warranty on the 6800 she said they will double the term on the bulb to 6 mths and the PJ to 2 yrs. So if your color wheel starts whinning at 16 mths, you're covered.

4. The Amex extended warranty covers purchases made outside of costco at other stores too.

5. No extended warranty on cars tho !

All in all not bad for a free warranty.
post #462 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats Rosso ! I'm glad you got it all sorted out and quick too.
post #463 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay0001 View Post

Hey there fellow Vancouver Islander! Today should be the day that our projector arrives!!!!

Cheers,
Jay

Guess what? The package was delivered yesterday already! Including everything(ceiling mount, screen, projector). What about ya?

post #464 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeo View Post

Guess what? The package was delivered yesterday already! Including everything(ceiling mount, screen, projector). What about ya?

Hey,

UPS tried to drop it off today, but of course I wasn't home and they won't leave it. So.....if I can make it to their wharehouse before 5:30 then I'll be laughing.

Jay
post #465 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Congrats Rosso ! I'm glad you got it all sorted out and quick too.

Thanks MiBz!

Hmm... I left it running for about 5 hrs and by the end, it seemed louder than when it powered up....

I wonder if it gets louder as you keep it on. That seemed to be the case with the 2nd one also.

I wish I had a sound level meter for some concrete numbers. Can you guys try and listen for that? See if your projector's whine gets louder as you keep it on.
post #466 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Sam,

I was all set to congratulate you after your second last post but now you've got me a little concerned.

Keep an eye, er uh, I mean an ear on that noise. I have an idea. You might want to take a portable dictation unit or something and make a recording so that you've got something that Optoma can listen to should it come to that.

If it's starting out quiet and then progressively getting louder, this is definitely not the way projectors work and I'd be getting the Umpire to call strike three on Optoma. And this is coming from a guy who has owned three Optoma models in a row now and is generally happy with the company. But you've gone through a ridiculous amount of aggravation and it's time for you to get some value for your money.

Or..... You may be paranoid now and hearing things that aren't there. We almost expect bad news when we've had a string of bad luck. I say give it a good workout and carefully observe through watching and listening, what the unit is up to at any given time. I really hope that this will work out for you but the same saying that we guys (and gals too) have applied in times of romantic distress I think can work in this case. In other words, there are plenty of projectors in the sea!

Wayne
post #467 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post

If it's starting out quiet and then progressively getting louder, this is definitely not the way projectors work and I'd be getting the Umpire to call strike three on Optoma.
Wayne

Actually it's quite normal Wayne. There is a temperature sensor in the HD72/6800 that monitors ambient temps to prevent overheating. After running many hours the ambient temps can increase as the projector is constantly outputting BTU's and heating up surrounding air. If it is ceiling mounted it is more common, as heat rises right to where the projector is installed. The sensor will detect this temperature rise and increase the fan speed (and hence noise) to ensure the lamp stays cool.

It's not just the Optomas, most if not all do this. It's smart design that keeps lamp life long...

I found this out this summer, as it only happens to me during these months when my house temps are significantly warmer (no A/C for me).

Mike
post #468 of 889 Old 08-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

I can confirm my fan gets gradually louder throughout a viewing session which is fine with me. I haven't noticed the colour wheel much if it all since placing the projector in it's final resting place inverted on a shelf above my couch.

Live GT: Destructorbot PSN: BassTek
post #469 of 889 Old 08-31-2006, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I appreciate the fact that a projector's fans will sound louder or softer dependent on the air temperature in the immediate vicinity. I haven't really heard this in my experience with my present projector though. Perhaps it's because my projector is in a cool basement and we have central air conditioning. But my H78DC3 is a REAL hot projector and it's fans run extremely quietly. I've added two computer fans on the outside of the casing at both air vents in order to facilitate pulling out hot air which I'm sure helps because I've measured the temperature difference with and without the fans and it's fairly significant.

I can honestly say though that with my previous projectors, the X1, H31, and H57, I sometimes have heard the fans almost rhythmically at times go loud and then quiet but it hasn't been the case with the H78 for some reason.

But I think Sam, if you go back to his post a few entries previously, wasn't referring to fan noise per se but color wheel whine.

This is what I was referencing when I made my comment that it's not normal. Color wheel whine shouldn't be there at all, let alone get louder as the projector is on longer.

Wayne
post #470 of 889 Old 08-31-2006, 05:32 AM

The screen stink ! does it get better over time ? What is the plastic on top of the screen, shuold be removed ?
The projector that i got is quiet no smuges, picture from the computer -family fotos- looks great (just WOW & using only the beige wall)

Rosso_Corsa

Quote:

I suggest you speak to Optoma to get the cable replaced. My cable is a DVI-I single link and there was someone else who got the lesser cable as you did on another forum. Optoma gave him the correct one.

I belive he (someone) got the DVI-I cable that gave him problems and the replacment was DVI-D the one that i got. My cable warks very goog with the computer, but i could use the amalog DVI. My Dvd-player has the RGB 15pin pc connection so it needs the analog pins on the cable.
How is your cable, does it work (the digital & analog connection)?
post #471 of 889 Old 08-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I appreciate the fact that a projector's fans will sound louder or softer dependent on the air temperature in the immediate vicinity. I haven't really heard this in my experience with my present projector though. Perhaps it's because my projector is in a cool basement and we have central air conditioning. But my H78DC3 is a REAL hot projector and it's fans run extremely quietly. I've added two computer fans on the outside of the casing at both air vents in order to facilitate pulling out hot air which I'm sure helps because I've measured the temperature difference with and without the fans and it's fairly significant.

Perhaps this explains the premature lamp failures at 300-500 hours with that line!

Hopefully you don't fall into that camp with your cooling alteration...
post #472 of 889 Old 08-31-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I can confirm my fan gets gradually louder throughout a viewing session which is fine with me. I haven't noticed the colour wheel much if it all since placing the projector in it's final resting place inverted on a shelf above my couch.

What happen to those projector boxes designed to reduce noise and light escaping the projector!!!!
post #473 of 889 Old 08-31-2006, 02:05 PM

Thanks, Wayne. You understand me completely. And thanks to others for chiming in, but fan noise is not what Im referring to. If you don't hear anything other than fan noise, consider yourself lucky and enjoy the relative silence. Fan noise is easy to ignore, like Wayne's central air conditioning which makes me a bit jealous.

But then again, he also lives out east. We get our cold wet winters but during the summer we aren't cooked alive, either

I watched Poseidon last night (2nd time with the projector on) and it stayed quiet through the entire film and even after the DVD player was shut off. I don't think Im hearing things. I'm very sensitive to high frequencies (in my right ear, anyway) and I know what I'm hearing. I just wished I had data to show Optoma, if it comes to that, instead of them having to take my word for it... a third time.

Im starting to wonder if it's the colour wheel at all. Could it be a power supply noise? Although you've had a power supply replaced but that never remedied the noise on your H57.

lubmar,

I will test the cable today or tomorrow with my PC and see how it goes. Its a 5m one.

Quote:

I can honestly say though that with my previous projectors, the X1, H31, and H57, I sometimes have heard the fans almost rhythmically at times go loud and then quiet but it hasn't been the case with the H78 for some reason.

But I think Sam, if you go back to his post a few entries previously, wasn't referring to fan noise per se but color wheel whine.

This is what I was referencing when I made my comment that it's not normal. Color wheel whine shouldn't be there at all, let alone get louder as the projector is on longer.

Wayne

post #474 of 889 Old 08-31-2006, 06:52 PM

Hello all,

I'm a huge movie fan and always owned rear projection TV's. Saw the deal on Costco, found this forum through Google, and decided the time was right for me to take the plunge to digital projector!

The projector and screen just arrived today, so I'm ecstatic! (no ceiling mount yet)
The room I'll be using is completely bare - bare walls and bare floor. There's a huge echo in there so I think I'll have to get some carpet or throw rugs laid down, and then maybe put some drapes put up along the walls to *hopefully* cancel the echo.

I downloaded the Excel file that somebody posted on this forum for the HD72, but not quite sure how to use it.... I have a small room - 166" long x 110" wide x 83" high.

Should I ceiling mount it or table mount it? Because its a small depth I'm thinking ceiling mount? Looking at the sheet, I think the 166" length is ok but I'm worried about the height? Do I have enough height for celing mount?

Hopefully one of you kind souls can give me some advice....
I'm happy to (hopefully) join the projector club!

Shawn
post #475 of 889 Old 08-31-2006, 08:11 PM

MibZ,

I'm assuming by your subsequent posts that you did in fact receive your unit the next day. I hope so, as I just had the same experience.

UPS guy shows up at 5 minutes to 8pm,

Him: "Here's your package"
Me: "There should be 2 pieces"
Him: "Ya I know, I uh, couldn't find it. It'll probly come tomorrow. Sign here"
Me: I hate you.

I called UPS and it wasn't scanned at the destination, which she feels was "probably" just a mistake and should be out tomorrow. If not, they'll do a trace.

Maybe some thief at UPS has been reading the thread and figures he got himself an even better deal.

Not happy, as I'm heading out of town for 5 days starting tomorrow.

Oh well, I guess I'll grab a lamp and go make shadow puppets on the GW II.

Wish me luck,

B.

Quote:

Just as I was hitting the post button about the GW screen, doorbell rings, heart starts racing...ITS UPS ! Joy !

Open the door, there's the brown suited guy holding a GWII screen box only ...hmmmm.
Where's the other box I ask ? He looks at me with a 'moose in the headlights' kind of look.
Goes back to his truck...looks around, shrugs his shoulders and comes back.
We both look at the label that says pkgs 2 of 2. Sign for this and call UPS later, maybe it's on another truck, he says before he leaves. Wahhhh

Flying_Fox, dude i think i got your screen ! Together we can make a home theater.
heh.

Anways... the wait continues.....guess I'll go open the box and inspect the screen. Who knows maybe out of desperation I can use a flash light to project hand puppets onto it.

post #476 of 889 Old 08-31-2006, 08:15 PM

Some quick number I came up with

With the 92" screen projector has to be anywhere from 10'6" to 12'7" from screen. At a projector distance of 10' 6" from the screen itself the top screen will be around 12" to 14" below the height of lense.
post #477 of 889 Old 08-31-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Some quick number I came up with

With the 92" screen projector has to be anywhere from 10'6" to 12'7" from screen. At a projector distance of 10' 6" from the screen itself the top screen will be around 12" to 14" below the height of lense.

OK, I think I get it... that means that according to that spreadsheet, my 83" ceiling means:

screen diag 92
ceiling ht 83
lens center 77

Throw min max
ratio 1.58 1.9

distance ft 10.6 12.7 ft
shift drop 14.3 17.2 "
screen top 62.7 59.8 "
screen bottom 17.6 14.7 "
1/3 from btm 32.60 29.70 "

It says eyes should be 1/3 from bottom, avg eye height on couch is 36"
So I guess I should try and and keep it somewhere as close to 10.6' as possible to keep the eye height close?
post #478 of 889 Old 09-01-2006, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

If you set the display to 16:9 for 1280x720 does the blue blank screen show 1280x720 or 1280x768? I'm trying to get the image to fit and it doesn't seem to be 16x9,. I suspect the blue screen is always 1280x768 (16x10). Friggin annoying that the menu doesn't work unless you have an image on screen.

Also, can anyone tell me how much vertical shift you can get for a 92" screen? I'm going to try and put the pj at 12ft or so.
post #479 of 889 Old 09-01-2006, 07:12 AM

Did anybody got rid of the smell that comes from the screen ? how long does it take ?
post #480 of 889 Old 09-01-2006, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubmar View Post

Did anybody got rid of the smell that comes from the screen ? how long does it take ?

For me it lasted a matter of hours, no big deal. I have had it unrolled since I got it.]

Al
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page