Sanyo Z2 owners, HDCP is faulty but a fix is on the way! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 223 Old 06-10-2006, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
To all Sanyo PLV-Z2 owners, enough is enough. The list of DVI or HDMI products that will not work with our projector is endless. I personally have experienced this with the Scientific Atlanta 3250, 8000 and 8300 cables boxes and now the Toshiba HD-DVD player.

HDCP is the issue. The Z2 is NOT NOT NOT HDCP Compliant, no matter what they say. They know this.

Can all Z2 owners who have ever had any DVI or HDMI issues, or those who do not yet use DVI or HDMI, please post here or send me contact info via PM? Just an email will do.

I am going to call Sanyo on Monday and try to get them to admit that there is an issue. They won't, of course, but I will then inform them that they are obligated under the warranty to do something.

At that point it would be best if we all sent them a registered letter and an email (each of us) that we demand they dix the HDCP issues with the projector.

If we do nothing then nothing will be done by Sanyo sand eventually you will run into a device that will not work on your projector. Anyone who wants HD-DVD or Blue-Ray will be in that camp.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 223 Old 06-10-2006, 08:09 AM

Liked: 10
I plan on writing a letter when I find the time; hopefully this weekend.

So much for making sure I bought an HDCP compliant player.
post #3 of 223 Old 06-10-2006, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hi Matt I'm sure you already have this but just in case you don't.

Mark Holt
Vice President
(757) 564-8070 (Voice)
(818) 693-6923 (Mobile)
(757) 564-6826 (Fax)
mholt @ sfc.sanyo (dot) com

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 223 Old 06-10-2006, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, Legairre.

post #5 of 223 Old 06-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Tup

My Z2 (actually a SE2HD) would work with my Starchoice (canada) high def PVR via DVI but randomly it would flash the blue screen for a second...sometimes it would be 10-20 minutes between flashes and sometimes 2 minutes. Then sometimes it would lock on the DVI input....would not change inputs or respond to the remote.....the only way to shut it off would be via the switch at the back....I hated doing that to the bulb but it did allow you to watch DVI without the periodic blue flash.

I assumed it was due to my older firmware (1.03)

So are people still having HDCP problems with say 1.06 firmware or newer?

Anyway, my new Z4 has no trouble at all with my starchoice....no flashing or anything....just had to get a DVI-HDMI adapter.
post #6 of 223 Old 06-11-2006, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Apparently even 1.09. Basically, the projector is not HDCP compliant and Sanyo knows it.

post #7 of 223 Old 06-11-2006, 10:40 AM

Yep, can't use my Toshiba DVD recorder hdmi out, here. As mentioned, thought I read elsewhere that it's a firmware issue tho.
post #8 of 223 Old 06-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Apparently even 1.09. Basically, the projector is not HDCP compliant and Sanyo knows it.

Could this be corrected with a firmware update or does it require a hardware modification?

Thanks!

Beer. So much more than just a breakfast drink!
post #9 of 223 Old 06-12-2006, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Probably hardware, which is why they are washing their hands of it.

Can everyone post the make and model of the equipment they have tried to use with the Sanyo Z2 but ran into HDCP trouble with?

post #10 of 223 Old 06-12-2006, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

I have not had the HDCP problem but I am watching this carefully.

I don't have any HDMI devices to try on the Z2. Everything in my theater was bought at the same time (Z2, Bravo D1, etc...).

I own the Z2 and bought it because it was supposed to be HDCP compliant.

I plan on buying a 1080p pj and, until now, had planned on buying the first Sanyo 1080p pj in the <$3500 price range.

If they cheated me I will wash my hands of everything Sanyo.

Not just their display devices but everything.

I am usually brand loyal but I will pay more to avoid being cheated.

Although I have not had the problem I am willing to join in an email campaign if it would help.

I am hopeful that Blu-Ray will not have this problem. I will probably wait to buy Blu-Ray due to this.

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
post #11 of 223 Old 06-12-2006, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

With one exception, I've not had HDCP problems either and, except for HD-DVD, have tried much of the equipment that you listed.

The one place I have an HDCP problem is with the Monoprice 5X1 HDMI switcher with my Scientific Atlanta cable box. The box works perfectly well plugged directly to my Z2, but through the switcher it doesn't work. This is a problem with the SA box, not the projector. The box is notorious for this, and it's compounded by my cable provider (Videotron) in Quebec who seems to be behind the time with firmware updates. Anyway...

I'll be following this thread closely. Sanyo's response to this issue, if indeed it is a problem with the projector, will directly influence my next purchase decision (and I'm getting the upgrade bug now). I'm already seriously not impressed with the way they've dealt with owners' blue polariser issues.

If they don't treat their customers with the respect they deserve again, then I will not consider another Sanyo product any time soon.

XBOX Live / PSN: Choocheroo
post #12 of 223 Old 06-12-2006, 07:14 AM

Samsung SIR-T165 Settop box
SA 8300HD.

Mike
post #13 of 223 Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 AM

Toshiba RD-XS54SU
post #14 of 223 Old 06-12-2006, 10:55 AM

With my HD-Tivo HR-250 it causes an error where the TIVO thinks it is overheating and shuts down. Yet, another well documented problem with the z2. I just got updated firmware when I had to send the unit back to get the Blue LCD replaced, and haven't tried the DVI yet. In about 2 weeks, I hope to get the time to test it.

Don
post #15 of 223 Old 06-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.cf View Post

Samsung SIR-T165 Settop box
SA 8300HD.

That's odd. I tried my SE2HD with my friends' T165 a long time ago and didn't have a problem sync'ing it up.

RG
post #16 of 223 Old 06-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Last night I sent an e-mail to the company whom I purchased my Z2 from. This morning I received an e-mail from them stating I should telephone and we would have a 3-way telecon with Sanyo. The technician from Sanyo wanted to know the firmware and serial number of my Z2; unfortunately I was at work and did not have the info handy. He offered to call me at home after I got home from work. He actually called back and I gave him the info. The tech said he would personally check into this and get back with me (hopefully tomorrow).

The point is Sanyo is aware of the problem and they (well at least the technician whom I spoke with) genuinely seemed to want to help. I'm not sure if Sanyo will be able to correct the problem, but at least they didn't just blow me off and they were very polite.

BTW my firmware version is 1.06 (purchased in March 2004) and no I haven't purchased the HD-A1 yet -- was waiting for confirmation from others that the Z2 and A1 would work together! I do not own any DVI/HDMI equipment so I can not compare as to whether it is the Z2's HDCP problem or not.

Beer. So much more than just a breakfast drink!
post #17 of 223 Old 06-12-2006, 08:17 PM

Let's see....

Denon 5900
Pioneer Elite DV-59avi

Neither worked. However, HD TV from my Dish 811 works but I don't know if there is any HDCP handshaking with that use.

Thanks for following up with Sanyo. Like many, this issue has been bugging me for a couple of years now.
post #18 of 223 Old 06-12-2006, 08:29 PM

SA 8300HD - will synch up but will give errors after a few minutes
HD-A1 - got it to synch up once for about 45 seconds
post #19 of 223 Old 06-12-2006, 08:44 PM

HD-A1, never works with movies. Non HDCP setup screen displays fine.

I called Sanyo and the tech wanted the serial # and a copy of the receipt of purchase faxed to him. I'll be doing that in the morning.
post #20 of 223 Old 06-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Do these HDCP problems exist with the Z4?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke
post #21 of 223 Old 06-12-2006, 11:14 PM

I haven't needed HDCP support yet for my Z2, but one day I may. I'll PM you my contact info.
post #22 of 223 Old 06-13-2006, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shugazer9 View Post

Do these HDCP problems exist with the Z4?

I have not heard of any. That goes for the Z3 also. Both seem just fine.

post #23 of 223 Old 06-13-2006, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thank you all for participating in this post. This is a big help. Maybe we will be able to convince Sanyo to do right by us if we stick together.

That's a lot of equipment above. Far too many devices, really. I talked to Sanyo yesterday and gave them the serial number to my projector, purchased 6/29/04. I'll be talking to them later this week and am compiling a list of equipment known not to work with the Z2.

My thinking is if there is not much more than "we will look into it" over the next two weeks that everyone here writes a letter to them and sends it either registered mail or delivery confirmation. I know that is a pain in the rump, but it will let them know we are serious. I paid $1795 for my Z2 and that's a lot of money to me.

By the way, Johnnykretentiv, your theater rocks. Nice!

post #24 of 223 Old 06-13-2006, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Guynn View Post

That's odd. I tried my SE2HD with my friends' T165 a long time ago and didn't have a problem sync'ing it up.

RG

Hmmm. Firmware difference? Both these units have a number of versions out. Maybe I just didn't have the right combination. Could also be cable related although I was able to sync up with my computer perfect pixel.

Mike
post #25 of 223 Old 06-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

By the way, Johnnykretentiv, your theater rocks. Nice!

Thanks Matt!

I like the way you are going about things here. Stay civilized and methodical. You guys have a valid concern here. Best of luck.

post #26 of 223 Old 06-13-2006, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I sould add that the attitude there seems to be that they may be able to get the Z2 working with some devices, but not all and that is just the way it shall be, deal with it. They seem to want to convince us that they are not obligated to get the Z2 working with any HDMI devices because the Z2 is DVI. This is a load of hogwash, but trying to prove it in court would be very difficult.

post #27 of 223 Old 06-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

To play the devil's advocate. They said it was HDCP compliant. They did not say it's HDCP compliant with all devices, including those produced after the Z2 was shipping?

But where are the standards here you would think HDCP compliant means HDCP compliant.

Hollywood forcing all this crap on us make me WANT to start burning dvds just to spite them. But that is a whole other topic. Sorry to dilute the impact of your thread .

post #28 of 223 Old 06-13-2006, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I just had a less than friendly conversation with a guy at Sanyo in CA. It ended OK, but was near nasty for a bit. Won't get into it. But here is what needs to happen...

IMPORTANT: If you have had HDCP issues please PM me and I will give the number and extension of this guy. He wants to hear from anyone that is having HDCP problems. He wants to have the units shipped into CA so they can be tested with new firmware. Please only call him if you have personally run into problems.

My Z2 ships out Monday (I need it for this weekend). And he said 3 to 6 business day turnaround (I know that to be the case from when I sent it in for VB back in 2004).

post #29 of 223 Old 06-13-2006, 04:28 PM

Damm, not in the middle of World Cup.

Mike
post #30 of 223 Old 06-13-2006, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You can just wait. I am waiting until Monday so that I can watch HBO's boxing in HD this Saturday.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page