post #2461 of 2476 Old 02-05-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

Not in the PJ itself but there are a few methods of creating that kind of thing for playing back on your HTPC or dvd player.

Thx, also, it is wise to use a vaccum cleaner to clean the vents, mine has dust in it and I'd rather not get dust blobs.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2476 Old 02-05-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

Thx, also, it is wise to use a vaccum cleaner to clean the vents, mine has dust in it and I'd rather not get dust blobs.

I would only use a manual squeeze bulb or a battery operated computer vacuum to try to gently remove any dust. A normal vacuum cleaner will create problems more often than not.
post #2463 of 2476 Old 02-07-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Got to say after installing new bulb at the beginning of the month....I'm loving my HD70 again. I should have replaced it long ago....The Super Bowl was awesome are are BD and HD movies....loving life again...can easily live with this for another 18m as the 1080p's continue to drop in price.
post #2464 of 2476 Old 02-07-2009, 05:51 PM

Liked: 11
I have to ask:
How many hours did you get from your last bulb?
When did you notice a dramatic change in output?
Did you run yours in low or high power mode?

Inquiring minds want to know.
post #2465 of 2476 Old 02-08-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
actual lumens put out by a projector normally decreases by up to 50% in the first 200 hours of bulb life......I too loved the output of my hd70 when it was new but noticed the brightness drop and lack of pop i now get from the picture....its gradual so hard to notice sometimes....thats why I just sold mine and decided to upgrade to the hd65 which is much brighter even when calibrated and after bulb breakin with still provide the "pop" my hd70 had when new.....plus after setting an hd65 up for a friend last week i noticed the colors are way better and newer brilliant color really works better with the newer colorwheel.....and you can get refurbes for just over twice the price of an hd70 replacement bulb....
post #2466 of 2476 Old 02-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Hi guys,

Question re: HD70 bulb replacement.

Mine is past the 2,000-hour mark now, and I'm beginning to consider my options (new bulb v. new display device).

In the meantime --

Is there any danger in letting the bulb run out its full life in the projector? That is, I've heard of bulbs "popping" or "exploding" when they expire. Is this an event that can harm the projector in any way?

(Just noticed a thread here about bulb explosions, but would like feedback specific to the HD70.)

Thanks for any insight -

J.
post #2467 of 2476 Old 02-16-2009, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is there no service menu on these? I bought an HD70 recently that was sold to me as only having 35hrs on the bulb. Lamp counter shows 35hrs but the reset button is right there in view and would be very tempting for a dishonest seller to reset. Was hoping there was an hr meter somewhere that would reveal total projector time.

A friend just had a local tech replace the color wheel on his HD70. He said he watched him go into a service menu to do a calibration after the new wheel was installed. I was hoping someone here had the info on this
post #2468 of 2476 Old 02-16-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyler View Post

Is there no service menu on these? I bought an HD70 recently that was sold to me as only having 35hrs on the bulb. Lamp counter shows 35hrs but the reset button is right there in view and would be very tempting for a dishonest seller to reset. Was hoping there was an hr meter somewhere that would reveal total projector time.

A friend just had a local tech replace the color wheel on his HD70. He said he watched him go into a service menu to do a calibration after the new wheel was installed. I was hoping someone here had the info on this

AS you may have guessed that service menu is not supposed to be consumer accessible item (if it was the dishonest seller could likely really do some damage) It is for the service guys (and gals). this is a reason buying used is a risk with these....you could alway pull the bulb and look at it....its easy to see if one has a lot of hours on it or is fairly new....they look dark and the reflective material flakes off and looks flat and dull when they are old
post #2469 of 2476 Old 02-16-2009, 01:13 PM

good idea - thanks
post #2470 of 2476 Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 AM

I realize this is an old thread however I had the exact same issue with dust blob on my HD70 and was unable to locate instructions or a tutorial on how to remove them. After reading forums on tons of people having the same issue, I figured I would try and fix the problem and create a tutorial for everyone. Please check out my blog at http://tantht.blogspot.com/ for instructions on how to remove dust blobs from a HD70 as this process worked perfect for me and I no longer have these annoying spots when watching movies!!
post #2471 of 2476 Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 AM

I now have about 3200 hours on my HD70 bulb. For those of you who have replaced a bulb, how much difference did you see when putting in the new bulb. I was still pretty satisfied with my HD 70 picture until I recently purchased a new LCD tv for my bedroom. I was amazed how bright the picture is on it compared with my projection setup. I am only throwing an 80 inch screen so the picture should still be pretty bright. Just wondering if I should upgrade or go the new bulb route. I have a bulb warranty so I should be able to get a new bulb. Question is, should I sell the unit with a new bulb or upgrade? Thoughts? Thanks.
post #2472 of 2476 Old 02-28-2009, 10:21 AM

I just happened to see 5 five of these on fleabay all ending in a few hours and currently the bidding looks pretty reasonable. Seriously considering pulling the trigger. thoughts?
post #2473 of 2476 Old 02-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLW65 View Post

I now have about 3200 hours on my HD70 bulb. For those of you who have replaced a bulb, how much difference did you see when putting in the new bulb. I was still pretty satisfied with my HD 70 picture until I recently purchased a new LCD tv for my bedroom. I was amazed how bright the picture is on it compared with my projection setup. I am only throwing an 80 inch screen so the picture should still be pretty bright. Just wondering if I should upgrade or go the new bulb route. I have a bulb warranty so I should be able to get a new bulb. Question is, should I sell the unit with a new bulb or upgrade? Thoughts? Thanks.

I would keep the unit and new bulb. A new bulb is like night and day (pun intended). Like someone else said, let 1080p mature and prices go down.
post #2474 of 2476 Old 03-27-2009, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know the remote code for this? I'd like to program my Comcast DVR remote, and the paperwork for that listed 10887 for an Optoma TV- they have no projector listing.
post #2475 of 2476 Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

After over 4000 hours, my bulb is finally shutting off af after about 30 minutes.
So where is everyone buying their bulbs? Who is reputable? Any good deals?

"The well-placed coin changes much - even itself." - Lao-Tse
post #2476 of 2476 Old 04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 146
My HD70 is still going strong but I can't seem to get it to handshake properly with my new receiver (VSX-03TXH). the receiver and the 360 handshake just fine. I am able to get audio with the projector turned off! ARGH! When I power on the PJ, it breaks the "friendship" and well, I get Stereo and no more audio and definitely no video.

I'm so frustrated but there might be hope. what is the newest firmware version for the projector? Right now, it has C.0.6 and I'm hoping that a new version that will fix my issue.

Anyone else experience the same thing? (p.s. I connect the 360 to the HD70 and get great video and use optical from the 360 to the AVR; I really wanted to use HDMI from the 360 for both audio and video and then HDMI out to the PJ (along with upconversion of component Comcast box to HDMI out for video)

I've asked this on the Pio forum but things are pointing towards the PJ (my old receiver Sony 820 didn't give a rats arse about handshake stuff, it just let it through no problems)

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page