Holy Crap CHECK THIS OUT!!!! A SCREEN THAT enables front projection in lit rooms!!OMG - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 04-26-2007, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There's a review of the Xscreen over at ProjectorCentral.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/planar_xscreen.htm

Let me know if you have any questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 04-26-2007, 10:19 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

100" - $2799

Well, let's remember the lesson technology taught us in the last ten years:

2799 today = 279.95 in a couple years, maybe 3.

They won't fool me with this, I can wait :smile:
post #33 of 52 Old 04-26-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A fixed frame screen with a protective glass cover may seem expensive - but you want to know what is even more expensive?

A Vutec SilverStar with an unfixable dent in it - smack dab in the center of the screen. Or buying yet another vinyl fabric replacement because of kitty claws or kiddy crayons...

My demo screen stock is running low - Bob I'll take a free replacement
post #34 of 52 Old 04-26-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Developed by AVS members in the DIY Forum--you can get the forumla there for free too

http://www.xtreme-fusion-screens.com/galleries.html
post #35 of 52 Old 04-26-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Similar name - but not even remotely the same thing.
post #36 of 52 Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

So this is a Da Lite HP in a format that has good WAF? Half the lumens gone at 22 degrees.
post #37 of 52 Old 04-30-2007, 05:06 AM

"Uhhh.... how do you figure? If you know where I can find a 100" LCD or plasma for under 10k please do tell."

Exactly, the 100" is $2,700. I have a decent projector paired with it and in all it costs less than $7,000. Obviously you can go down in price by going with an 80" model and a lower end projector and have a great setup for about $4000. Not bad at all.
post #38 of 52 Old 04-30-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasmuzik View Post

A fixed frame screen with a protective glass cover may seem expensive - but you want to know what is even more expensive?

A Vutec SilverStar with an unfixable dent in it - smack dab in the center of the screen. Or buying yet another vinyl fabric replacement because of kitty claws or kiddy crayons...

My demo screen stock is running low - Bob I'll take a free replacement

kras - the glass isn't a protective layer over the screen. It provides a completely flat surface and the 'screen' is mounted on the surface of the glass. The reflective surface is very thin, it almost looks like it is painted on the glass. There is a small border (about 1") from the screen surface to the edge of the glass. Any light that spills over the screen is absorbed, giving a clean edge to the image.
post #39 of 52 Old 05-03-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 42
My local AV shop used to have one of the Mirage models on display...whites were gray and colors were just never right on it...they chunked it for a matte white Stewart.

You almost need to be watching outside in the daytime for this to be a good option.
post #40 of 52 Old 05-04-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

My local AV shop used to have one of the Mirage models on display...whites were gray and colors were just never right on it...they chunked it for a matte white Stewart.

You almost need to be watching outside in the daytime for this to be a good option.

I prefer the xscreen in a completely dark room over my original matte white screen.

I think you might be impressed...
post #41 of 52 Old 05-06-2007, 11:14 AM

I recently got a hold of the Xscreen 80" and I'm very happy with it, but I would like to know how it compares to a Supernova.. anyone ever compared the two? I would say the reason I choose the Xscreen over the high-power da-lite is because of color reproduction in light controlled environments. I was happier with the high-power. In any case, maybe Bob Williams or anyone can elaborate on Xscreen vs. DNP supernova/ Mirage..
post #42 of 52 Old 05-07-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo77 View Post

I recently got a hold of the Xscreen 80" and I'm very happy with it, but I would like to know how it compares to a Supernova.. anyone ever compared the two? I would say the reason I choose the Xscreen over the high-power da-lite is because of color reproduction in light controlled environments. I was happier with the high-power. In any case, maybe Bob Williams or anyone can elaborate on Xscreen vs. DNP supernova/ Mirage..

You chose the xScreen but were happier with the high power? What did you like better about the high power?

People looking for a big screen experience without converting their room into a cave should demo these screens to see if they would suit their needs. I have a dedicated theater room that is completely light controlled, but I like to entertain and watching sporting events in a dark room is not appealing to most people. What I didn't expect was how much more I like the xscreen in a completely dark setting. Even my wife is impressed with the picture and admits that the investment was worth it. My projector is only 900 lumens so the 2.0 gain makes the image pop.

When I first built my theater 4 years ago, one of the biggest 'bang-for-buck' improvements was painting my walls and ceiling to prevent light reflection back at the screen. I've helped several others put front projection in their homes since then and most did not have the luxury of 'redecorating'. The result is that contrast is diminished even with the lights off, as reflected light washes out the image. The xScreen -and other ambient light screens - goes a long way toward solving this problem and makes front projection a viable option under less than ideal conditions. Is it perfect? No, but I would encourage people to demo these screens before they buy because some -like me- might find that the pros greatly outweigh the cons.
post #43 of 52 Old 05-07-2007, 09:50 AM

I did a typo.. actually I was gonna say I was happier with the Xscreen than the hi-power! (I would be pretty stupid to get the Xscreen if I like the high-power better..) so sorry for that.
post #44 of 52 Old 05-07-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Shouldn't this thread be in the screens section?

Also, while I'm being picky, can we rename it to Xscreen Review instead of HOLY CRAP?
post #45 of 52 Old 05-07-2007, 10:29 AM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post

My projector is only 900 lumens so the 2.0 gain makes the image pop.

I saw an XScreen locally and it looked very good with low ambient light, after it got cloudy out and was getting late in the day, but it was washed out when I first got there and there was a small amount of sunlight in the showroom.

BTW, I talked to the person at Planar who knows the most about the XScreen and he told me there is no gain in a completely dark room.
post #46 of 52 Old 05-07-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd View Post

I saw an XScreen locally and it looked very good with low ambient light, after it got cloudy out and was getting late in the day, but it was washed out when I first got there and there was a small amount of sunlight in the showroom.

BTW, I talked to the person at Planar who knows the most about the XScreen and he told me there is no gain in a completely dark room.

If the screen focuses light back at the viewer (gain) why should it matter whether the lights are on or off? I have a matte white screen as well and I can tell you that the xScreen looked to be the brighter of the two in a dark room. I set the white screen up next to the xScreen so the image was displayed on both simultaneously. This was just a subjective test though. I'd be interested in understanding why there would be no gain in the absence of ambient light.

I agree, this should be in the screen forum.
post #47 of 52 Old 05-07-2007, 10:52 AM

HRD, have u seen the DNP supernova as well? thanks
post #48 of 52 Old 05-07-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Be better if Bob started an official Xscreen thread in the screen forum.
post #49 of 52 Old 05-12-2007, 08:11 AM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo77 View Post

HRD, have u seen the DNP supernova as well? thanks

No, I haven't. After viewing the XScreen, I went back to my original plan of buying a High Power. After see a High Power in action recently, a 139-inch wide 2.35:1 screen belonging to a forum regular, I have decided to go with a High Power. I have a Sharp 12K on order and plan to run it at all different screen sizes before making a commitment as to size and whether to get an electric or a fixed frame.

The weak contrast in the pics in this review below was another reason for me to go with the High Power. If screens such as the XScreen and the Visage could give the plasma-like image in high ambient light that manufacturers and some users claim, I would spend the money on it, but I didn't see that in the pics and I didn't see that in the showroom.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/Manu...ions/index.asp
post #50 of 52 Old 05-12-2007, 08:51 AM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post

I'd be interested in understanding why there would be no gain in the absence of ambient light.

I suggest calling Planar and asking for the specifics if you'd lke to know. When I called, I talked to someone named Alan, and I think he gave me the reason why.
post #51 of 52 Old 08-10-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

at the cost of that thing it should.....when you enter the cost of the projector you could find an lcd or plasma for around the same cost.

I just checked...Panasonic's 103" plasma is still $80K...but great news, its on sale for $60K...I think I'll take my chances with Planar.
post #52 of 52 Old 08-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page