Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 400 Discussion Thread, MSRP 1599 available now - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1356 Old 10-31-2006, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Projectorreviews.com (Art aka Presenter) gave this projector "Hot Product Award" - so PJC's giving it 3-stars doesn't add up. Reading through Art's various posts, it looks like he would prefer AX100U over Epson due to smoothscreen; and Epson over Z5 due to lumens (Z5 review should be up by tomorrow he mentioned somewhere). Besides, I am not sure if PJC's review was for an out-of-box unit or they calibrated it well before reviewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1356 Old 11-01-2006, 05:18 AM

Hmmm. Like Wiebe said, they may have gotten lazy and used an uncalibrated unit. It is frustrating to have everything ready to go, the costco deal in place, and then see a crummy review. Hopefully they were just lazy cuz I want this thing! Videogames would be the number one use for it
post #183 of 1356 Old 11-01-2006, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J. View Post

To Sloth:

I guess it depends on what is really important. If you plan on watching in only a dark room, then the Sanyo Z5 might be a better choice.

The blacks on the Epson are decent, even with the iris turned off. As far as color goes, I have not noticed the green tint that Projector Central was referring to. The picture colors are very accurate. I've played around with the settings a little, but have not had to make any major changes. My kids and my wife were very impressed with the picture quality. I like the picture better than any of the large screen projection televisions that I have seen in the stores.

If you plan on playing any video games or watching football games, the Epson would probably be a better choice. The fan gets noisy in its two brightest settings, but makes very little noise in its lower light level settings.

Thanks for the reply by the way. I'm thinking the fan noise isn't such a huge deal for me because i use the xbox 360 and that thing sounds like the space shuttle taking off. Besides, how loud can it really be?
post #184 of 1356 Old 11-01-2006, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S L O T H View Post

Hmmm. Like Wiebe said, they may have gotten lazy and used an uncalibrated unit...

No, I didn't mean to imply that. To be fair, we should also see what Art said in his review of this projector in the "Image Quality" section :

Quote:

Although the out of box color accuracy isn't bad at all, it's not as good as some other projectors, either. I was in a rush when testing, with less time than usual due to leaving on a family vacation, so I didn't spend quite as much time calibrating. (I usually have a projector for about a week, in this case, though, only 2+ days.)

And..

Quote:

Normally, I also have the time to go over the images I shot, and reshoot occasionally when unhappy with the exposure. (I always bracket though). In this case, the projector was returned and I was travelling.

We probably need more inputs from the actual users as well.
post #185 of 1356 Old 11-01-2006, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Something is fishy about PJC's review of the 400. By all other reports the 400 is a slightly improved (and cheaper) 550 which they gave 4.5 stars to for performance last year.

I think he got a seriously abused unit, just look at the lumen numbers that he got and compare them to Art's:
PJC: 1365 lumens in Dynamic
Art: 1979 lumens in Dynamic
Thats no small difference,

Also the bit he was complaining about haw there was to much green, mabe his "Skin Tone" control was jacked up. For those that don't know in the epson the skin tone function controls the green-cyan balance, see cene4home.com's review of the 550 for details on how it works. Its like a second dimension in color temperature.

At this point after the "Perfect" review of the ax100 and this one for the epson, I have lost all confidence in PJC's reviews.
post #186 of 1356 Old 11-01-2006, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
"At this point after the "Perfect" review of the ax100 and this one for the epson, I have lost all confidence in PJC's reviews."

Give me a break. I can't believe what I am reading. The Epson 400 should have gotten a better review because the AX100 got a perfect score? Even if the Epson is not as good as the AX100 or the Z5, the reviewer has to give it a perfect rating anyway?

Equally ridiculous are the excuses for why the Epson got a poor rating. "The reviewer must have gotten a bad projector." "It must have been abused." "UPS must have dropped it and broke something inside." "His power line must have been dirty and caused the poor picture quality." "The temperature in his room must have been too hot." "He is biased."

Although I am disappointed that the Epson 400 did not do as well as I had hoped, I appreciate the review and wouldn't want the reviewer to do anything differently.
post #187 of 1356 Old 11-01-2006, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

...The Epson 400 should have gotten a better review because the AX100 got a perfect score? Even if the Epson is not as good as the AX100 or the Z5, the reviewer has to give it a perfect rating anyway?...

No, not at all. I don't care for the rating because I neither own it nor am I considering it for buying.

This review raises some issues not consistent with others experiences/reviews with the same model. That doesn't mean these issues don't exist. Also, Epson 550 is predecessor of Epson 400 - so generally, one can expect at least not so apart review results/rating unless Epson really messed up. Also, sometimes the reviewer can make mistake. See the following by the same reviewer where he discovers his error in his review of Sanyo PLV-Z4 but he realized it when he was reviewing Sanyo PLV-Z5. Mistakes happen and it was very nice of him to acknowledge it.:

Quote:
In the original PLV-Z4 review, deinterlacing was identified as a noteworthy flaw. However, when testing the Z4 again side by side with the Z5, it became apparent that we had made a set-up error in testing during the original review, because deinterlacing is excellent on both the Z4 and Z5, especially in "Film" mode.

post #188 of 1356 Old 11-01-2006, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
This is why I like Cine4Home's reviews best, as they tend to concentrate more on objective results based on measurements. They also do a good job of testing how well it can be calibrated. Now, good out of the box calibration is a good thing, but I'm more interested in the potential of the projector.

The two main flaws that PJC seemed to point out is the green bias, and black crush. I assume this is why they scored the performance so low.

The 550 had extensive colour space controls, and I assume the 400 inherits this, so if PJC couldn't eliminate this then perhaps ( as they suggested ) it is an isolated lamp issue.

The 550 also has very extensive gamma correction controls, even allowing you to adjust the curve manually at 10 different points. I would assume that this would allow you to tune-out any or most black crush, and still maintain lowest absolute black ( or dark grey, as heh - I'm a CRT'er ).

Cine4home's review of the 550 stated that the Theatre modes had a green bias, but they later tuned the colour space to be absolutly perfect. I hope they review the 400.

Now, not too many people buying a $1,600 projector will probably want to have it ISF'd, but it would really be interesting to hear if an AVS member with this unit has it calibrated, and what the results were.

Jonathan
post #189 of 1356 Old 11-01-2006, 01:16 PM

Has anyone heard, as of yet, if the Epson 400 exhibits the same left-side green tint/right-side red tint or vice-versa symptoms as the Epson 550? That ruined the 550 for me.

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world.........people who are intolerant of other people's cultures.........and the DUTCH."
Nigel Powers, "Goldmember"
post #190 of 1356 Old 11-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

"At this point after the "Perfect" review of the ax100 and this one for the epson, I have lost all confidence in PJC's reviews."

Give me a break. I can't believe what I am reading. The Epson 400 should have gotten a better review because the AX100 got a perfect score? Even if the Epson is not as good as the AX100 or the Z5, the reviewer has to give it a perfect rating anyway?

Thats not what I am saying, all I was just trying to say that I thought both of the reviews were independently bogus. Theres no way that the zx100 (or the z5 for that matter) is without fault, and I along with many other people on this forum don't think it deserved a perfect review. As far as the epson 400 goes compare it to the review he gave for the 550 a year ago, and you will see what I am getting at. Remember the 400 is the replacement for the 550, and according to all other reviews is an improvement.
post #191 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 08:02 AM

From the different sources that I have read. The Epson 550 picture qualilty was better than the Panny 900 and the Sanyo Z4 and had a brighter picture( was an issue with the 550 being tested red tint to green tint that was thought to be misaligned LCD panels on unit that were tested).

The Panny AX100 picture was improved by being sharper than the 900 with the advantage of brighter picture settings for use in lighted situations. The Epson 400 was an all around improvement over the Epson 550 and very close to the light out put of the Panny AX100.
The Sanyo Z5 slightly sharper than the Panny and slightly better contrast in low or no light situations.

All three are good as far as lens shift, slight advantage to Panny for lens zoom, and slight advantage to Epson 400 for lens shift.

They are all very close in regards to picture qualilty. If you have the desire to sit closer than 1.3 the width of the screen from picture, then the Panny is the practical choice.

You want the one that has a slightly better picture at 1.3 or greater the width of the screen from the picture in a dark room setting than the Sanyo Z5 would be a good choice.

If you want one performs well in brighter light situations and are willing to give up a slight loss in picture quality in dark room situations then either the Panny or Epson 400 will work well, with a slight advantage to the Panny at the brightest light setting.

I think the Sanyo warranty is 3 years, Epson 2 years and Panny 1 year.
post #192 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

An excellent summary, Peter.
post #193 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr27440 View Post

As far as the epson 400 goes compare it to the review he gave for the 550 a year ago, and you will see what I am getting at. Remember the 400 is the replacement for the 550, and according to all other reviews is an improvement.

It seems to me that PJC rates projectors against their direct competition. The Epson 400 can be better than the Epson 550 and still not quite match up with the Z5 and AX100. I don't see a problem.

You're comparing a year-old rating to a recent one. The market changed a lot during that year.
post #194 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J. View Post

From the different sources that I have read. The Epson 550 picture qualilty was better than the Panny 900 and the Sanyo Z4 and had a brighter picture( was an issue with the 550 being tested red tint to green tint that was thought to be misaligned LCD panels on unit that were tested).

The Panny AX100 picture was improved by being sharper than the 900 with the advantage of brighter picture settings for use in lighted situations. The Epson 400 was an all around improvement over the Epson 550 and very close to the light out put of the Panny AX100.
The Sanyo Z5 slightly sharper than the Panny and slightly better contrast in low or no light situations.

All three are good as far as lens shift, slight advantage to Panny for lens zoom, and slight advantage to Epson 400 for lens shift.

They are all very close in regards to picture qualilty. If you have the desire to sit closer than 1.3 the width of the screen from picture, then the Panny is the practical choice.

You want the one that has a slightly better picture at 1.3 or greater the width of the screen from the picture in a dark room setting than the Sanyo Z5 would be a good choice.

If you want one performs well in brighter light situations and are willing to give up a slight loss in picture quality in dark room situations then either the Panny or Epson 400 will work well, with a slight advantage to the Panny at the brightest light setting.

I think the Sanyo warranty is 3 years, Epson 2 years and Panny 1 year.

Don't forget about screen size, the Z5 will have trouble with large screens, even in dark rooms.

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #195 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptychair View Post

Don't forget about screen size, the Z5 will have trouble with large screens, even in dark rooms.

Define 'large' please.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #196 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

Define 'large' please.

120" and up.

post #197 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

120" and up.

Thanks. So, it's good right up to 120" though?

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #198 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wait for more feedback from users if you can. Early indications are that 100" is ideal, maybe stretch it to 110". Screen surface also plays a factor in how big you can go.

post #199 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 02:45 PM
BaN

My 400 should be here sometime next week. I just couldn't resist the great price from Target with 10% discount on top. I'm upgrading from a Panny 500. I'll let you all know my impressions.
post #200 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 02:58 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I used this projector with a 121'' screen in a light controlled room on theater modes and it was sufficent. I liked natural the best. It is a matte white, 1.0 gain screen. I returned because of all the background noise ( 120'' size screen?)
post #201 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wait for more feedback from users if you can. Early indications are that 100" is ideal, maybe stretch it to 110". Screen surface also plays a factor in how big you can go.

Will do. I'm looking for a 100" + screen and am deciding between the 400 and the Z5 right now and was leaning towards the Z5 w/the $200 rebate since they would both be about the same price and from the sounds of it... the Z5 would be the way to go if $$ was equal.

Jer

post #202 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Will do. I'm looking for a 100" + screen and am deciding between the 400 and the Z5 right now and was leaning towards the Z5 w/the $200 rebate since they would both be about the same price and from the sounds of it... the Z5 would be the way to go if $$ was equal.

Sounds good...just to clarify for the sake of others, in my earlier comments about "it" being too dim for 120" screens, I was referring to the Z5 not the 400. The 400 has the edge in brightness.

post #203 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 06:35 PM

bill1908, were you talking about Z5 or 400?
post #204 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds good...just to clarify for the sake of others, in my earlier comments about "it" being too dim for 120" screens, I was referring to the Z5 not the 400. The 400 has the edge in brightness.

In a light controlled room will tis be as big a concern going big?

Jer

post #205 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 07:28 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by snagis View Post

bill1908, were you talking about Z5 or 400?

Sorry about the misunderstanding, I was refering to the 400.
post #206 of 1356 Old 11-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In a light controlled room will tis be as big a concern going big?

Not as big a concern in a light controlled room but still a concern. Also there is a difference between light controlled with light walls and light controlled with dark walls. Your screen size should be determined based on the projector's calibrated lumens, seating distance, the projector's resolution, its operating environment, and the screen surface type/gain. I'm sure others will add factors I have missed. Anyhow, you should be fine with 100" in a light controlled room with either the Z5 or the 400.

post #207 of 1356 Old 11-04-2006, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What's the max screen size for the espon 400 from 16' to screen. I have the ax100 and having over temp problems with it and thinking about returning it.

post #208 of 1356 Old 11-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

What's the max screen size for the espon 400 from 16' to screen. I have the ax100 and having over temp problems with it and thinking about returning it.

With 16ft throw you can get 107-160inch diag image depending on zoom.

post #209 of 1356 Old 11-04-2006, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks emptychair for the reply. What about SDE at 11' from a 120" screen.

post #210 of 1356 Old 11-05-2006, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

You're welcome, jsil. SDE at 11' from a 120" screen will be noticeable to most people. Whether or not it is bothersome is a personal choice. General rule of thumb is to sit 1.5 times the screen width (horizontal not diagonal) back or further. For those who can see SDE very easily or are very bothered by SDE they would have to be 1.75x - 2x back. Personally, once I get immersed in a movie the SDE doesn't bother me. Same goes for rainbows (RBE) on DLP projectors, I see them but they don't really bother me once the movie gets going.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page