post #4531 of 4553 Old 11-24-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post

I'm on my third bulb. The one generic I bought was DOA. Usually get 3000 hrs per bulb (and I save the oldies just in case). I just live with the flicker. I know it's not the bulb, and vacuuming the filter doesn't really help either. I get my bulbs from B&H.

So I cleaned my filter and it was dirty. The flicker seems a little better, but it's still there. Dang it's annoying. I'm running the bulb on Normal now to see if I can burn the flicker out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 4553 Old 10-30-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethagized View Post

I've just taken hold of one of these projectors but have noticed when looking into the lens there are dust particles inside. Has anyone taken it apart and cleaned the lenses without messing up the alignment etc?

If it's not affecting the picture quality it's best to leave it alone.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4533 of 4553 Old 01-19-2013, 05:07 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethagized View Post

Does anyone know anything about this motorised filter that slides in front of the lamp? I can hear a motor running momentarily, but nothing happens. After opening up the case, i've noticed that the gears that engage with the sliding filter is missing. What does this filter do?
Only just now noticed this thread. You have the same problem as I do: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452868/pt-ax100e-loose-parts-gears-of-some-sort-of-motorized-filter
My investigation so far has only determined, that the part it moves is the Cinema Filter. But I don't know more than that wink.gif
post #4534 of 4553 Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 AM

Liked: 12
Hey guys, I've recently purchased a used AX 100 used that worked great for the first couple of hours then died on me and I could really use some help.

The unit looks really good on the outside and had good maintenance (filter cleaning,etc and I trust the guy) but the second time we used the pj (turned switch on, then power button,etc) I noticed that inside I could hear a noticeable click, every second or so. The image lights up normally, the clicking seems to die down but then comes back again a minute or two later and the image goes from normal brightness, to dim, back to normal then goes black. I check the unit and it's now in cool down mode (solid orange light) and then goes to solid red (standby, power down).

The unit's temp lights are never lit, and there's no message about the lamp, plus this is smoke free home and again has only been used for a couple of hours so far.

I pulled the bottom cover and followed the wd 40 lubricating procedure for the iris issue but it seemed fine before application, and after the pj is doing the same thing.

I only went w/the Panny because I needed the flexibility of the 2x zoom and only wanted 720p without spending alot of money right now due to the economy.

So if anyone has any thoughts, experience etc, it would be appreciated. Off to do research!

Thanks!

Jeremy
post #4535 of 4553 Old 04-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Just put my fourth new bulb in last week. Original Panasonic bulb which works perfectly. Yesterday when turning it on it only ran for about four minutes before shutting down. No temp or bulb lights, just orange on the standby/off which soon changed to red. This happened every time I fired it up (4-5 times) during the course of the evening. Could only turn it back on by shutting it off completely. This has been a very reliable unit that I don't want to part with so soon. Any ideas as to what might be the problem? New bulb, new filter. ????

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #4536 of 4553 Old 04-30-2013, 05:32 PM

Mine did that when the filter was dirty but you probably thought of that. Or was that the other issue that requires the oil of the little area? One of those.
post #4537 of 4553 Old 04-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allene222 View Post

Mine did that when the filter was dirty but you probably thought of that. Or was that the other issue that requires the oil of the little area? One of those.

Brand new filter, and this projector has never suffered from the iris issues that seemed to have affected so many. Gettin' down inside with some lubricant has never been necessary in my case. I'm still in shock that things could go from good to bad so quickly and with no advance warning.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #4538 of 4553 Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 PM

If it is a new filter, clean the old one and try it. I mean, if this problem started with a new bulb and a new filter it is probably one of them. Try the old ones and see if you can isolate it.

I assume you have checked the help screen and don't see the dreded red OK?
post #4539 of 4553 Old 05-10-2013, 10:14 AM

Does anyone know if it's possible to find spare parts for these things anymore? I have unit that wont start the lamp (fans ok, green power led and LCDs show picture when checked with other light source) and P-module gives 384 and 14VDC to ballast so it should be ok so quite likely the problem is in the ballast. I tried to search for the ballast part number TNPA4048 but found only one site that sells it and they're out of stock (wont even allow to order).
post #4540 of 4553 Old 05-11-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is there anyone running an AX100 with over 2,500 hours on it who doesn't have polarizer issues? Mine is starting to get pretty bad. Was going to upgrade to a new unit this past fall, but there seems to be a real lack of options these days imo.
post #4541 of 4553 Old 05-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

Is there anyone running an AX100 with over 2,500 hours on it who doesn't have polarizer issues? Mine is starting to get pretty bad. Was going to upgrade to a new unit this past fall, but there seems to be a real lack of options these days imo.

What would be the characteristic symptoms of a defective polarizer? I have over 21,000 hours on mine, and the picture is still quite satisfactory.

post #4542 of 4553 Old 05-12-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post

What would be the characteristic symptoms of a defective polarizer? I have over 21,000 hours on mine, and the picture is still quite satisfactory.

color blotches that are always there, even if they might only be visible against a uniform background. My previous panny started getting blue creep on the lower left corner as it aged, and it got progressively worse over time, spreading up towards the middle of the screen. My AX100 has been showing a yellow image that is mostly noticeable during dark scenes. unless i'm mistaken, this is due to these models having organic panels which degrade over time. newer LCD units use inorganic panels which do not suffer from this degradation. something like that anyway. lol

see some examples here...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/837613/sanyo-plv-z3-large-blue-area-on-screen-help
post #4543 of 4553 Old 11-27-2013, 07:50 AM

Hi, I'm trying to do the lighting area adjustment on my pt-ax100u

Panasonic, heartland, global, and canada s service center have been all unwilling to help me get the service kit cables.  This is something I can easily do and have a fast turn around.  Any thoughts on how and where I can find a set of these cables?

post #4544 of 4553 Old 11-27-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted View Post

Joe,

Whether you care to believe it or not, the 700 service manual (and the 900 is easier in this respect - this from a Panasonic engineer) clearly shows the method whereby a *single* LCD panel can be removed (by cutting the mount posts in the optical block) and replaced and converged should you have the equipment patience and expertise with the internals of such devices (Jimmy does), whether it is wise, as JHouse infers, is another issue. For the average end user, replacement of the entire optical block is certainly more desireable but there are more than a few around here who are capable. Would *I* personally do it it with about 30 years of dealing with various electronic and optical toys - many of whose guts I've spilled onto my workbench? No! Prime reason is that the 300 dollars for a Service Kit (required) goes along way to having someone else do it.

ted

Any thoughts on where to get the service kit.  I've tried Heartland, Panasonics part dist. Global and Canadas service number.  Nobodies willing to sell these. And the cost of the kit, would probably equal shipping and labour to get this down. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.   I am fully capable of doing this lighting area adjustment.  I needed to give my eight year old mirrors a good cleaning and now I'm looking at the hassle of not being able to readjust without sending it into the service center.  I'm playing around and getting it close, but this hooking up and unhooking ribbon and cables is getting old.  Please help...

post #4545 of 4553 Old 11-27-2013, 08:05 AM

Hi everyone,

I have just replaced my 100 with a newer model due the iris issue (this will be my second iris) and the bulb is almost done.

I will sell it to anyone who wants to use it for spare parts or to refurb for $50 plus whatever it costs to ship it to you. This model is the Japanese version, exact same hardware

I am in Montreal.

Mods, sorry if this is against policy but I've been following and using advice in this thread for many years and just want to help anyone out if they could use it.
post #4546 of 4553 Old 11-27-2013, 11:04 AM

Hi Casey,

You could try Steve's TV in Kitchner Ont. http://www.stevestv.com

They are a nice bunch, replaced my Iris many years ago and are very knowledgable about the Panny.

Good luck.
post #4547 of 4553 Old 02-14-2014, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

OK, so the temp light keeps coming on even though I vacuum the filter regularly. Any ideas out there as to what might be causing this. Usually it eventually shuts down the projector and requires a shut off, restart. Bothersome at the least. It's on right now. Thanks for any suggestions.

post #4548 of 4553 Old 02-15-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, so the temp light keeps coming on even though I vacuum the filter regularly. Any ideas out there as to what might be causing this. Usually it eventually shuts down the projector and requires a shut off, restart. Bothersome at the least. It's on right now. Thanks for any suggestions.

First thing I would suspect is a bad cooling fan or fans.

Edit: Here are instructions on how to get into the service menu, it may shed light on whether the fans are running or running at optimum speed.

http://misterslimm.blogspot.com/2007/03/panasonic-pt-ax100e-hidden-system-menu.html

-

post #4549 of 4553 Old 02-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

First thing I would suspect is a bad cooling fan or fans.

Edit: Here are instructions on how to get into the service menu, it may shed light on whether the fans are running or running at optimum speed.

http://misterslimm.blogspot.com/2007/03/panasonic-pt-ax100e-hidden-system-menu.html

-

I haven't done that yet but plan to shortly. The normal fan noise is there. Thanks for the link.

post #4550 of 4553 Old 02-18-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't done that yet but plan to shortly. The normal fan noise is there. Thanks for the link.

I'm not sure what the service menu will show since I don't own the AX100, just remember that the projector has 5 fans so hearing fan noise doesn't ensure the one cooling the lamp is running or running correctly.

post #4551 of 4553 Old 03-08-2014, 11:32 PM

I just turned on my projector to just a white screen. It flickers briefly when I push the input select button, but otherwise nothing. No picture, no menu, just a white screen.

Any idea what might have gone wrong?

I should mention, usually it's a blue screen when there's no input and can see in out icons when Input select is pressed, and of course menu when menu is pressed. Now it's all white all the time???
post #4552 of 4553 Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretin View Post

I just turned on my projector to just a white screen. It flickers briefly when I push the input select button, but otherwise nothing. No picture, no menu, just a white screen.

Any idea what might have gone wrong?

I should mention, usually it's a blue screen when there's no input and can see in out icons when Input select is pressed, and of course menu when menu is pressed. Now it's all white all the time???

LCD timing ic's on mainboard needed to be replaced or something along this line. There is a component failure and beyond your basic DIY repair.

If you are interested in salvaging this projector find a repair shop to give you an estimate, cost could be as little as $200 for replacing small parts like capacitors, resistors, etc.

Anything other than that would make the expense not worth it.

post #4553 of 4553 Old 03-10-2014, 04:10 PM

Thank you Mr. G. I was guessing it is probably a board fault.

Ringing the service co. today.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ax100u Home Cinema Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page