Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4553 Old 09-14-2006, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbacos View Post

Ditto! I've been on the 2-year upgrade cycle with my Pannies. My first PJ was the Panny 300, then my current Panny 700. My next step will be to full HD - most likely either the Panny AE1000, the Mitsu HC5000, or the Sony Pearl. That should hold me for a couple more years.

Ya think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4553 Old 09-14-2006, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I must admit I am very intrigued by this unit. I am in the market for my first projector as some of you know =). The potential of this projector for partially lighted viewing has me very curious. The problem is that the projector is a bit overpriced compared to the DLP's, or should I say it appears to be. I realize that the features are more flexible but for someone who knows they are buying an already obsolete technology thats not enough. I demand the rebate and low street prices be enacted on this projector NOW!!!! lol....... lower the 900's price to compete with the optoma hd-70 and lets play ball. Overall Panasonic should come out about even and add even more pressure to the DLP camp! Hahahaha this is much better that a vinyl vs. digital debate because I am too biased in that regard.

Love,

Moondog
post #93 of 4553 Old 09-15-2006, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I for one am much more excited about the AX100 then the up-coming Panny 1080p projector.
As a long time projector junkie my main issue has always been wishing for a brighter picture even though I have always had total light control with every projector I have owned.
HD-DVD on my AE900 is stunning, with the doubled lumens of the AX100 Im thinkin I will be really really happy.
I would rather have the extra lumens that I think will be much more of an advantage than any improvment a 1080p will offer at this time.
When the Panny 1080p projector is 2000 lumens then I will buy it, and by then it should be much cheaper as well, with much more 1080p content available to justifie having the 1080p projector.

Davyo
post #94 of 4553 Old 09-15-2006, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I for one am much more excited about the AX100 then the up-coming Panny 1080p projector.
As a long time projector junkie my main issue has always been wishing for a brighter picture even though I have always had total light control with every projector I have owned.
HD-DVD on my AE900 is stunning, with the doubled lumens of the AX100 Im thinkin I will be really really happy.
I would rather have the extra lumens that I think will be much more of an advantage than any improvment a 1080p will offer at this time.
When the Panny 1080p projector is 2000 lumens then I will buy it, and by then it should be much cheaper as well, with much more 1080p content available to justifie having the 1080p projector.

Davyo

Well said! I've been wondering if I should be looking more closely at 1080p for my next upgrade...but your statement captures my own thoughts about lumens quite well. Sometimes it helps when someone else puts your thoughts into words for you. If I do anything in the next year or so, it would make a lot more sense to go with the AX100 over a 1080p variant with less lumens.

Evil thought. The AX100 is similar enough in appearance to it's predecessor that it could almost replace an AE700/AE900 in ones setup without being noticed.
post #95 of 4553 Old 09-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm surprised at the $3k sticker price. I was expecting this one to be Panny's "bargain" unit at ~$2k and the AE1000 to be the higher-end unit at ~$4k, but with only $1k difference in MSRP, price is obviously less of a differentiator. I can only guess that Panny intends this PJ to be the "living room option" - where there is more ambient light and the high lumens is necessary - and their AE1000 to be the basement option, where light control is easier and resolution is deemed more important.

It's an interesting marketing strategy. My guess is that competition will drive the price of both units down pretty quickly - unless the AE1000 can really stand toe-to-toe with the Pearl and Mitsu. Either way, I think the days of mass-market $3k 720p LCD's are over.

At least that's how I read the tea leaves...

-tony
post #96 of 4553 Old 09-15-2006, 12:18 PM

Which projector will look the brightest, the AX100 or the new Mitsubishi HC5000?
post #97 of 4553 Old 09-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, the Panny specs show twice the lumens of the HC5000 (2000 vs 1000), so I'd be surprised if it didn't produce a brighter image. The Mitsu should have better CR, resolution, optics, and video processing. In a light controlled environment, it *should* win hands-down...
post #98 of 4553 Old 09-15-2006, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone at CEDIA with a quickie review?

Ken Elliott
post #99 of 4553 Old 09-16-2006, 08:48 AM

Bump...

If anyone at Cedia could check this thing out and tell us how well it does with all the lights on. OR at what point the picture really starts to wash out. I have to buy a projector in 6 weeks or less and I'm torn between all the options available. But if this thing can deal with allot of light it may be the way for me to go. I would be really nice to be able to watch football and not have to control the lighting completely!!

PPPUUUUHHHHLLLLEEEAAASSSEEEEEE !!!

0_o!
post #100 of 4553 Old 09-17-2006, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea, Cedia is ending today and I have yet to see anything from anyone anywhere saying anything about seeing this projector up and running and comments on the picture and so forth.
I did see the AE1000 review over on the $3500 and up forum, it was the review saying the Panny 1080p was not a working model so it could not be reviewed.
Im wondering why the reviewer didnt glance over at the working AX100 that was most likely sitting very close to the non-working AE1000 and post some thoughts on the working AX100 projector,,,,,,,,, perhaps the over $3500 crowd does not like us under $3500 folks and they feel we are not deserving enough to get a review.
There are also reviews of other projectors on the over $3500 forum, while we, the under 35'ers get nothing.

Davyo
post #101 of 4553 Old 09-17-2006, 05:17 AM

Quote:

Yea, Cedia is ending today and I have yet to see anything from anyone anywhere saying anything about seeing this projector up and running and comments on the picture and so forth.
I did see the AE1000 review over on the $3500 and up forum, it was the review saying the Panny 1080p was not a working model so it could not be reviewed.
Im wondering why the reviewer didnt glance over at the working AX100 that was most likely sitting very close to the non-working AE1000 and post some thoughts on the working AX100 projector,,,,,,,,, perhaps the over $3500 crowd does not like us under $3500 folks and they feel we are not deserving enough to get a review.
There are also reviews of other projectors on the over $3500 forum, while we, the under 35'ers get nothing.

Davyo

I think panny has no workin model's as of yet.They are all static versions at the show/Won't be long though to they have them out for reviews.THANKS BUDDA
post #102 of 4553 Old 09-17-2006, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

I think panny has no workin model's as of yet.They are all static versions at the show/Won't be long though to they have them out for reviews.THANKS BUDDA

Hummm,,, my bad then.
I assumed since the AX100 was shipping anyday now (release date said to be mid Sept.) that Panasonic had a working AX100 at Cedia.

Perhaps Panasonic just forget to pay Cedia the extra money to run a power cord over to their booth.

Davyo
post #103 of 4553 Old 09-17-2006, 05:25 AM

A few reports say this thing is ready to ship. The well respected Projector Reviews has a few comments

(I can post add the linky yet until i hit five posts)

I called a couple AVS Sponsors and they say they expect them any day.

For what it's worth...
post #104 of 4553 Old 09-17-2006, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Davyo

On one of the stickies (too lazy to search) Daniel or Jason mentioned seeing the 100 with one of the Panasonic reps. He said the light modulation thing worked extremely well and overall he was impressed.

I'd probably look it up, but football is about to start and I still haven't had my hot dog.
post #105 of 4553 Old 09-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

I saw the ax100 Friday at Cedia. The projector was displayed in two rooms. In one room I believe it was marked "family room" to simulate a non-light controlled room. They turned the lights on and off. With the lights on the picture was fairly bright. At first I thought they we showing some kind of light control screen. The projector has a light sensor which automatically reduces the 2000 lumen output as the ambient light reduces. I was impressed with the picture with full on lights. From what I saw I would say it is definitely an major improvement over my Hitachi during daytime viewing. Colors looked good probably helped due to their filter system. Screen door was good but then I haven't viewed their smooth screen technology (or what it's called) before. At the time I wasn't interested in buying a 720p lcd so I didn't spend much time viewing the new Panasonic projector. Today after coming home I found out that my PJ-TX100 isn't working. Hopefully it's just a burnt out bulb but I won't know for sure until I get a replacement bulb and give it a try. My Hitachi has almost 2k hours on it so it might be time for a replacement. I had planned to wait another year for the 1080p projectors to come down in price some before upgrading. If my pj-tx100 is dead I might buy the AX100 for my family room, I think it might fit in my mount and with it's lense shifting it might just be a plug in play swap.

BTW, the bright lamp is reallly nice if you need it and that might just sell me on it. The picture is good but I think most of the 720p's I've seen are in the same class. I don't think it's going to blow away the last generation lcd's. Maybe a little better contrast. I didn't notice the iris movement at all but my Hitachi doesn't have it so I can't compare it. Alll I can say it worked well to my eyes. For $2,000 it's a nice machine.
post #106 of 4553 Old 09-18-2006, 02:28 PM

This is a really interesting projector for me. Extra light output can mean a real improvement in picture quality for people with an environment that is not completely light controlled. Take a look at the specs on the AX100 vs the Sanyo PLV-75. Now take a look at the price difference. If it arrives at the prices being touted then I'm in.
post #107 of 4553 Old 09-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarmuid View Post

This is a really interesting projector for me. Extra light output can mean a real improvement in picture quality for people with an environment that is not completely light controlled. Take a look at the specs on the AX100 vs the Sanyo PLV-75. Now take a look at the price difference. If it arrives at the prices being touted then I'm in.

As far as I know the AX100 is shipping and the street price $2k. As these machines continue to improve and come down in price, I think there is a huge market for machines that can be setup in a family room environment. I'd rather have a 10' screen over a 50" plasma any day.
post #108 of 4553 Old 09-18-2006, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the updates on this projector. I for one am trying to do the projector in my living room. I have the space and layout to integrate it but lighting is going to be somewhat interesting. I must say despite all the LCD naysayers I am still very interested. Just curious if any of you might have an idea of a store around Dallas/Fort Worth that might have both on display. Again, thanks for the updates.
post #109 of 4553 Old 09-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Don't worry about LCD, I have been living with an lcd for 3 years now and am very pleased with it. Sure DLP has some advantages but so does this projector. If you are trying to intergrate a projector into a living room without light control especially viewing during the day light you are not going to be happy with a 800 to 1200 lumen or so projector. It is going to be washed out excepting evenings when you can down all of the lights. I have friends view my lcd and they are impressed, but what do they know. I have a tx100 and my biggest complaint is its black levels, this projector has much better black levels due the the variable iris. Sure I would like to buy a 1080p dlp Optima for 5 times the cost. It is stunning in a light controlled room but given the light output of the panasonic and its low cost I wouldn't hesitate buying this one because it really isn't that far behind.
post #110 of 4553 Old 09-19-2006, 07:05 AM

I'm a little confused. Panny and Sanyo are supposed to offer the best 720p bargains out there. After looking at the competition rolled out at CEDIA, this is absolutely no longer the case.

Unless Panny gets extremely agressive with their new AX100, they will be competing directly with numerous PJ's that either fall in line with their pricing or fall significantly below. Here's just a quick list of what Panny is up against in the 720p catergory (I know there are more):

Optoma HD70 DLP Darkchip2 (lower price)
Optoma HD7300 DLP Darkchip3! (similar price)
Mits HD1000U DLP Darkchip2 (lower price)
BenQ WS500 LCD (lower price)
Epson Cinema400 bright LCD (lower price)

I don't know about you guys but I'll remove my drop-ceiling and put up gyprock if the Panny comes out with the same street price as the Optoma HD7300. No matter how good they make their LCD, they cannot compete against a Darkchip3 DLP unless they come in at a significantly lower price.

Of course, this could be very good news for us consumers as this competition may force the Panny and eventual Sanyo Z5 to scale down their prices significantly. I can't see them giving up the title of "best bargain/bang-for-the-buck" 720p projector that easily.
post #111 of 4553 Old 09-19-2006, 07:13 AM

Maybe...

But the AX-100 has 2000 lumens, lens shift, a nice zoom, some type of ambient light sensor system, and no rainbows.(compared to the DLP's)

I think we should be able to buy one for around 1500 IMO.

I'm not willing to pay much more than that.

Anyone have one of these yet?

If only DLP didn't have the rainbows for some people, I'm not sure if it would affect my friends or family but for me it is a deal breaker. I bet I'm not alone in that regard.

Nevertheless I do agree if they want to stay on top they have some major price adjustments to do for those who don't think like I do. Otherwise they are going to be sitting on shelves for a long time =(.
post #112 of 4553 Old 09-19-2006, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=KeithfromCanada]Here's just a quick list of what Panny is up against in the 720p catergory (I know there are more):

Do you mean Optoma HD7100 or has HD7300 taken a nose dive?

Rainbows are an issue for me and H+V lens shift, 2.0 zoom, and a nice bright picture are still of value to some (myself included), but I do agree that they cannot price themselves much higher than their 720p DLP equivalents.

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #113 of 4553 Old 09-19-2006, 08:01 AM

[quote=emptychair]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithfromCanada View Post

Here's just a quick list of what Panny is up against in the 720p catergory (I know there are more):

Do you mean Optoma HD7100 or has HD7300 taken a nose dive?

Rainbows are an issue for me and H+V lens shift, 2.0 zoom, and a nice bright picture are still of value to some (myself included), but I do agree that they cannot price themselves much higher than their 720p DLP equivalents.

I believe he's talking about the HD73 (DC3) which is supposed to stree around $2k per Optoma's press release.
post #114 of 4553 Old 09-19-2006, 09:46 AM

[quote=nbpc]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptychair View Post

I believe he's talking about the HD73 (DC3) which is supposed to stree around $2k per Optoma's press release.

Oops...my apologies. Yes, it's the HD73 that's replacing the HD72 under $2K. The HD7300 will have a MSRP under $3K.
post #115 of 4553 Old 09-19-2006, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithfromCanada View Post

I'm a little confused. Panny and Sanyo are supposed to offer the best 720p bargains out there. After looking at the competition rolled out at CEDIA, this is absolutely no longer the case.

Unless Panny gets extremely agressive with their new AX100, they will be competing directly with numerous PJ's that either fall in line with their pricing or fall significantly below. Here's just a quick list of what Panny is up against in the 720p catergory (I know there are more):

I don't know about you guys but I'll remove my drop-ceiling and put up gyprock if the Panny comes out with the same street price as the Optoma HD7300. No matter how good they make their LCD, they cannot compete against a Darkchip3 DLP unless they come in at a significantly lower price.

Of course, this could be very good news for us consumers as this competition may force the Panny and eventual Sanyo Z5 to scale down their prices significantly. I can't see them giving up the title of "best bargain/bang-for-the-buck" 720p projector that easily.

Sorry Keith but you post does not make sense, you are comparing apples or oranges.
All these projectors have their different pros and cons, to buy a projector based on price alone would be less than wise.
3 of the projectors you list are DLP, myself and a few other out there do not like DLP or suffer from rainbows but yet your trying to compare DLP to LCD.
Panasonic and Sanyo are still the best bargins (most of the time) because of the many features they offer and their pricing, its not just about how much it cost.

Davyo
post #116 of 4553 Old 09-19-2006, 07:32 PM

The well respected (IMHO) Projector Reviews will have a review readied no later than 9/27. He says he has a unit iin transit!

Can't wait!

It's either this or the IN76...
post #117 of 4553 Old 09-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

I can't wait for this thing to be released. My HD6800 that I'll be replacing is borderline bright enough for daytime viewing. Having the extra brightness from the AX100 should be amazing for football.

Live GT: Destructorbot PSN: BassTek
post #118 of 4553 Old 09-19-2006, 07:57 PM

I talked to Denver at projectorbundles who had seen and compared both the ae900u and the ax100u. Panasonic let him play with the projector before they showed it at cedia.

He said that not only the specs are much better than the 900u but it is much more user friendly. He also stated that people may not like the size difference since the 100u is quite a bit bigger than the 900u. He did say the casing does look fancy like a new car instead of so square like the 900u.

I am glad the color is white because the silver color of the 900u doesn't always make me to happy when my ceiling is white.

I hate how technology changes so fast. I would love the little extra brightness. I change projectors to many times. I am getting addicted to new projectors like poker.

The real question is, sell my 900u on ebay with 500 hours to buy the ax100u?

Denver thinks so, although he didn't pressure me I know he would love the sale.

Do you think his idea is right?
post #119 of 4553 Old 09-20-2006, 05:39 AM

That kinda depends on how much you can sell if for and if you need the extra lumens. It sounds to me like ultimately the biggest difference is the light output between it and a 900. I would think if you have a true media room environment you should be fine with the 900. If I weren't putting the thing in my living room I would go for the 900 and I may still depending on what this thing streets for. Just check and see what you can get for your current unit and if you can accept the loss and the AX-100 will improve your situation then go for it.
post #120 of 4553 Old 09-20-2006, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Having seen the projector at Cedia, I can say the extra lumens is not trivial especially in a non light controlled environment.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ax100u Home Cinema Projector
Gear in this thread - Ax100u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page