Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4553 Old 09-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI all,

I like some of you were going to go the 1080P route but after seeing this new projector and thinking about what improvements over my current Sony HS51 that I wanted which are the following:

1. More Lumens ( I have a 122" DIY Grey Screen or BFLF for those that spend any time in the DIY screen threads)
2. Less SDE
3. Improved shadow detail - Jury is still out on this, but a brighter projector usually improves this.
4. Improved resolution and detail would be nice but this is not huge when you go from 720 to 1080 lines.

I think this new lowered priced Pani will fit the bill.

With all this said the glowing review from Projector Central has me hopeful but I don't value their reviews much because they are inconsistent. They don't review all the qualities I am interested in such as shadow detail which is fairly important to me.

I am awaiting projector review's review as they will typically compare how the projector performs in all categories fairly consistently and use the same reference screens and give us the chance to at least compare screen shots, I like the shadow detail shot over exposed for instance. He always talks about over all color balance, skin tone, brightness, black levels, shadow detail, fan noise, etc. I can count on it.

I am sure that Projector Central is correct that this is a great projector but then again the last generation was great this should only be better. I am pretty sure this will be my next projector and I am really pleased to hear it sounds like they have improved the smooth screen technology and gotten rid of the softness that the 900 produced while eliminating SDE for the most part.

I believe that this projector may revolutionize the projector industry when it out sells every other projector on the market by a large margin. Why do I think it will do this? Because many people value a bright projector in the average home where the projector may be replacing the Rear Projection TV. This projector gives us bright while still being able to be turned down for optimal CR and black levels when watching in a dark room. Combine that with the ease of placement and mounting options compared to low priced DLP with high fixed offsets and this projector will be a grand slam again for Panasonic. I only wish they would have given the new Panasonic 1080P the same level of brightness, but I think we may see that in the next generation from Panasonic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4553 Old 09-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Did I read the ProjCntrl review correctly where it stated that this unit will display at 48hz/72hz for judder free playback??? If so I think I just found my new projector.
post #183 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 04:00 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangc View Post

HI all,

I like some of you were going to go the 1080P route but after seeing this new projector and thinking about what improvements over my current Sony HS51 that I wanted which are the following:

1. More Lumens ( I have a 122" DIY Grey Screen or BFLF for those that spend any time in the DIY screen threads)
2. Less SDE
3. Improved shadow detail - Jury is still out on this, but a brighter projector usually improves this.
4. Improved resolution and detail would be nice but this is not huge when you go from 720 to 1080 lines.

I think this new lowered priced Pani will fit the bill.

With all this said the glowing review from Projector Central has me hopeful but I don't value their reviews much because they are inconsistent. They don't review all the qualities I am interested in such as shadow detail which is fairly important to me.

I am awaiting projector review's review as they will typically compare how the projector performs in all categories fairly consistently and use the same reference screens and give us the chance to at least compare screen shots, I like the shadow detail shot over exposed for instance. He always talks about over all color balance, skin tone, brightness, black levels, shadow detail, fan noise, etc. I can count on it.

I am sure that Projector Central is correct that this is a great projector but then again the last generation was great this should only be better. I am pretty sure this will be my next projector and I am really pleased to hear it sounds like they have improved the smooth screen technology and gotten rid of the softness that the 900 produced while eliminating SDE for the most part.

I believe that this projector may revolutionize the projector industry when it out sells every other projector on the market by a large margin. Why do I think it will do this? Because many people value a bright projector in the average home where the projector may be replacing the Rear Projection TV. This projector gives us bright while still being able to be turned down for optimal CR and black levels when watching in a dark room. Combine that with the ease of placement and mounting options compared to low priced DLP with high fixed offsets and this projector will be a grand slam again for Panasonic. I only wish they would have given the new Panasonic 1080P the same level of brightness, but I think we may see that in the next generation from Panasonic.

Alot of good points their'That is why i will wait on the 1080p.More lumes and lower price.This new ax100 should be a great FP for many homes and light conditions.It will sell like hotcakes.BUDDA
post #184 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 05:39 AM

For those seriously interested in this Panny, AVS does sell them. Daniel was one of the first to post about what he saw at Panny's office.

Contact Info
post #185 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I also was going to buy a 1080 p (Sony Pearl, Mitsubishi 5000, new Panasonic), but I think I'd rather have the ability to get higher lumen output so that I can have some lights on should I choose to do so. I would also like the ability to choose a lower gain screen. The new 1080p projectors still don't produce much light output, so I'm now leaning toward the ax100u.

Bob
post #186 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just read the review too: http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ax100.htm

Sure gives me pause for thought. Lumens and flexibility are a powerful combination in a 'I just can't decide which' world.
post #187 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
It's only been a year since I bought my AE-900U and it still wows me. From the review, this new projector sounds great all around. I trust Projector Central as I used them for the basis of buying my projector last year. The only new feature I'm envious of is the sharper picture, although I don't notice the soft image from the AE-900U. Alas, as much as I'd like to upgrade to this one, I'm not planning to until the AE-1000 so I can have true 1080p. In my opinion, anyone considering a new projector probably can't go wrong with a Panasonic, as my experience has been very positive.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

post #188 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 09:22 AM

I now have to decide if I'm going to fully return my HD6800 package from Costco ( $1745 Canadian after tax) or just swap the projector for another HD6800. (my dvi doesnt work properly) This Panasonic is really tempting & the flexibility in mounting would be great for easy setup in almost any room. I wonder if this panny is a worthwhile improvement over the HD6800.
post #189 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 09:41 AM

Can't wait for some forum member reviews b/c it looks fantastic.
post #190 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 AM

Well, being the impulse buyer I am, I decided to wait til the 1080p projectors mature a bit more and have 2000 lumens ones under 5 grand, and get the ax100. I just called up one of the dealers listed off projectorcentral and got everything setup with the 5 year warranty for cheap, and should have it on Friday. I've been reading countless posts on here about the Pearl, but dang... 2000 lumens just kicks my old mitsubishi's butt so many ways it's not funny. Going from 300:1 current to 6500:1 (advertised) should be a nice step up. I'll post layman's impressions Friday night.
post #191 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is the range of the zoom lens the same as on the AE900? That would make it quite easy for me to replace my AE900 with this new unit...
post #192 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 11:08 AM

I will also wait for the Projector Reviews look at the AX-100 to be posted, but I am already about 85% sure I am returning my Optoma 6800 package to costco, in favour of the AX-100. The 6800 still blows me away watching it for HD content, but the black levels are alittle less than I expected.

I am very excited to see how it will look on my new 92" Severtson HC screen.
post #193 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Can someone explain this part of the review, in English:

"However, if you wish to ceiling mount, you can shift the lens such that, once the projector is inverted, the top edge of the image is below the centerline by about 25% of the picture height. So for example, if you are projecting a 120" diagonal image, the picture height will be 59", and the maximum gap between the top of the image and the centerline will be 14.25". In practical terms, after adding a few inches for the ceiling mount itself, if you have an 8 foot ceiling, the 120" image will appear on the wall about where you want it. If you are going for a smaller image, say 100" diagonal, or if you have a much higher ceiling, the range of the lens shift will not be able to compensate for such a radical offset. In these cases, you may wish to use an extension tube with the mount to keep the image from appearing too high on the wall."

I'm looking to ceiling mount a projector where the ceiling is 7' 8". I am going with a minimum of a 110 inch (diag) screen and a maximum of possibly 118 inch (diag) screen (1.78 -- HDTV screen format).

So where will the bottom of my screen be (in relation to the floor) with this projector? Will I need a long pole for the ceiling mount or what?

Help!!!!!!!!!!

And where exactly is "where you want it" -- when the review says "... the 120" image will appear on the wall about where you want it."

Where do YOU want it?
post #194 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYROGliFiX View Post

I will also wait for the Projector Reviews look at the AX-100 to be posted, but I am already about 85% sure I am returning my Optoma 6800 package to costco, in favour of the AX-100. The 6800 still blows me away watching it for HD content, but the black levels are alittle less than I expected.

I am very excited to see how it will look on my new 92" Severtson HC screen.

Did you ever use the 92'' greywolf2 with the bundle?? How much did you get your 6800 Package for?? I really want the panny even just for the zoom range..... but I'm not sure if I can justify paying $480 more to get it... plus I would have to buy another screen.
post #195 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 11:57 AM

I would be nice to get some measurements in addition to lumen output. You can get high lumen output on many projectors without being close to D6500 spec.
post #196 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 11:57 AM

djjaeger, would you mind sending me a pm regarding where and how much you purchased the projector for?
post #197 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Ceaser1, find out what the height of the screen will be. Take 25% of the height. That's the maximum height above the top of the screen the centerline of the projector can be mounted. If you mount the projector lower than that, you'll have a margin of error.

Bob
post #198 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Can someone explain this part of the review, in English:

"However, if you wish to ceiling mount, you can shift the lens such that, once the projector is inverted, the top edge of the image is below the centerline by about 25% of the picture height. So for example, if you are projecting a 120" diagonal image, the picture height will be 59", and the maximum gap between the top of the image and the centerline will be 14.25". In practical terms, after adding a few inches for the ceiling mount itself, if you have an 8 foot ceiling, the 120" image will appear on the wall about where you want it. If you are going for a smaller image, say 100" diagonal, or if you have a much higher ceiling, the range of the lens shift will not be able to compensate for such a radical offset. In these cases, you may wish to use an extension tube with the mount to keep the image from appearing too high on the wall."

I'm looking to ceiling mount a projector where the ceiling is 7' 8". I am going with a minimum of a 110 inch (diag) screen and a maximum of possibly 118 inch (diag) screen (1.78 -- HDTV screen format).

So where will the bottom of my screen be (in relation to the floor) with this projector? Will I need a long pole for the ceiling mount or what?

Help!!!!!!!!!!

And where exactly is "where you want it" -- when the review says "... the 120" image will appear on the wall about where you want it."

Where do YOU want it?

My interpretation of it was that you can have the centerline of the projector up to 25% ABOVE the total height of the screen.

So, for your circumstance, you have 92" of wall height and are are looking to project a 110" diameter screen which has a height of ~55". From my understanding, you could position the centerline of the projector ~14" above the top of your screen.

-j
post #199 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

ctviggen- So if I went with a 92" screen, 45" high, then the projector can only be max 11" above the screen's top edge?
post #200 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schottjy View Post

My interpretation of it was that you can have the centerline of the projector up to 25% ABOVE the total height of the screen.

So, for your circumstance, you have 92" of wall height and are are looking to project a 110" diameter screen which has a height of ~55". From my understanding, you could position the centerline of the projector ~14" above the top of your screen.

-j

Define the "centerline of the projector".

Is that the box itself -- the lens or what?
post #201 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

Ceaser1, find out what the height of the screen will be. Take 25% of the height. That's the maximum height above the top of the screen the centerline of the projector can be mounted. If you mount the projector lower than that, you'll have a margin of error.

A 110 inch screen is 54 inches high.

25% of 54 = 13.5

So are you saying that the "centerline" (whatever that is), can be, at a max, 67 inches?

My ceiling is 92 inches. So if I want this, it has to hang down from the ceiling 25 inches? We would bang our heads on that then? Is that right? I'm confused.

What happens if you mount if lower than the max calculation -- you say you have a "margin of error". But does that mean you have to lower image quality by keystoning?
post #202 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schottjy View Post

-j

What about height above floor?

So if the screen height is 55 inches, and I have the screen 30 inches above the ground (which is what we want, right?), that's 85 inches total.

Or is 30 inches above the ground too high?
post #203 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by festivalman View Post

Well, being the impulse buyer I am, I decided to wait til the 1080p projectors mature a bit more and have 2000 lumens ones under 5 grand, and get the ax100. I just called up one of the dealers listed off projectorcentral and got everything setup with the 5 year warranty for cheap, and should have it on Friday. I've been reading countless posts on here about the Pearl, but dang... 2000 lumens just kicks my old mitsubishi's butt so many ways it's not funny. Going from 300:1 current to 6500:1 (advertised) should be a nice step up. I'll post layman's impressions Friday night.

I'm trying to do this as well - please PM me with which dealer you went with - I'd like to get one soon and I haven't seen anyone advertising this 5 year warranty. I'd like to know how much that cost too, if you would.

Thx

Dan
post #204 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post

It's only been a year since I bought my AE-900U and it still wows me. From the review, this new projector sounds great all around. I trust Projector Central as I used them for the basis of buying my projector last year. The only new feature I'm envious of is the sharper picture, although I don't notice the soft image from the AE-900U. Alas, as much as I'd like to upgrade to this one, I'm not planning to until the AE-1000 so I can have true 1080p. In my opinion, anyone considering a new projector probably can't go wrong with a Panasonic, as my experience has been very positive.

I agree on all counts. The Projector Central review came very close to saying the AX100 "blows away" the AE900 without actually saying it, which is an amazing testimony in my opinion considering how pleased I am with the AE900!

I see no reason to upgrade yet (darn it!), but if I were going to buy a pj today, the AX100 would be a slam dunk decision for me based on what I already know about the AE900.

I'd buy it through an AVS Alliance Member Vendor, PURCHASE THE EXTENDED WARRANTY, buy a spare bulb in 90 days (replace it for the original to test it for another 90 days), shoot it on a bare wall for a week or so to determine the biggest screen size and style that suits me and off I'd go on Home Theater Nirvana without giving it a second thought!!
post #205 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 01:11 PM

I want one.....

Can't wait for the second review and to hear what the rest of you guys think about yours.

To all of you who have already ordered, CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW PJ's!!!!

This unit is shaping up to be a wonderful deal.
post #206 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

By "centerline", he means centerline of the lens. So, in your example where the screen height is 55 inches and the screen bottom is 30 inches above the floor such that the screen top is 85 inches above the floor, the maximum height the centerline of the projector lens can be is 98.75 inches. In your case, that's higher than the ceiling is, which means you can mount the project right next to the ceiling and still hit the screen correctly.

Bob
post #207 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 01:54 PM

If I knew that panasonic was coming out with a 2000 lumen version of their most popular pj, I would have waited a few weeks.
Oh well...maybe I can use my AE900 as a spare for night time outdoor or bedroom viewing.
post #208 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

By "centerline", he means centerline of the lens. So, in your example where the screen height is 55 inches and the screen bottom is 30 inches above the floor such that the screen top is 85 inches above the floor, the maximum height the centerline of the projector lens can be is 98.75 inches. In your case, that's higher than the ceiling is, which means you can mount the project right next to the ceiling and still hit the screen correctly.

So the projector can't be too low then, only too high?

In other words, it can't be above the max height, but it can be anywhere below the max height?

Also, what is the typical height of the bottom of the screen off the floor -- is 30 inches pretty standard?
post #209 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 02:18 PM

According to the AX100 brochure (pg. 10), the unit can lens shift up/down +/- 63% of screen height and left/right +/-25% of screen width. Note, you cannot shift by the maximum in both horizontal and vertical directions.

Source: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni..._PT-AX100U.pdf

Projector Central seems to claim there is more shift than this, if my calculations are correct. Anyone care to comment?
post #210 of 4553 Old 09-27-2006, 02:25 PM

WOW 5 stars across the board from PJC.
Now i'm seriously considering selling my ae900.
I don't think anything in the same price range comes close to the ax100 in terms of placement flexibility, image quality, and added features.
That light sensing ability would definitely come in handy for my living room.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ax100u Home Cinema Projector
Gear in this thread - Ax100u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page