AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

What could cause this?

One cause can be the alignment of the dichroic mirrors in the optical path. (They split the light and pass it to the panel for the specific colour). Slight rotation can cause brightness differences hitting the panel.

ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 105 Old 10-30-2006, 07:12 PM

is there a procedure involved in aligning them?

seems that without service extensions theres no way to move them while the projector is on for optimum alignment.
post #93 of 105 Old 10-31-2006, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenaria View Post

is there a procedure involved in aligning them?

seems that without service extensions theres no way to move them while the projector is on for optimum alignment.

Didn't I create controversy by stating that it is possible to field change an individual LCD and converge it - though I recommend it should be done only by the qualified or insane?

Per the 700 Service Manual - I'm assuming the chassis is the same.

Yes, its part of the Analysis Block. Each mirror is individually adjustable. Two screws affix the "Reflectors" and a lever rotates the mirror. You would need a Service Kit as you suggest.

Good idea? Only if you've the equipment, comfort level, and another projector.
I'd recommend a service tech.

Was your optical block recently replaced? Is it possible this occurred during repair - assuming this was not apparent prior to repair?

btw. It doesn't necessarily follow that this is the issue that your pj is exhibting - though I can only think of a relationship with the Analysis block or the polarizers, I ain't no expert. I do know some pjs can be software adjusted for uniformity - I would imagine this is done by offsetting the LUTs for various regions of the panels. The 700's Service Manual does state
Quote:

Uniformity Data Transmission:
Reads the color unevenness correction data from the file and transmits it to the
projector.

So some of this could be corrected in software if it were available. Talk to your tech

ted
post #94 of 105 Old 10-31-2006, 12:16 PM

Hi,

The issue I have with my 900 is when the PJ is on a level surface (as in the shelf I have it mounted on), the picture is not level, I had to adjust one of the front feet about half an inch to get the picture to look level. Has any one else seen this, can it be adjusted? Is it an issue at all?

I have not looked closely at the convergence issues yet - scared to look deeper. Over all the picture is very good.

M.
post #95 of 105 Old 10-31-2006, 02:34 PM

have you adjusted your lens shift? its that little silver joystick on the front.. just turn it a bit clockwise and use it to center the pic.. im assuming that the lens shift might be pointing up a bit right now.
post #96 of 105 Old 10-31-2006, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machaibar View Post

Hi,

The issue I have with my 900 is when the PJ is on a level surface (as in the shelf I have it mounted on), the picture is not level, I had to adjust one of the front feet about half an inch to get the picture to look level. Has any one else seen this, can it be adjusted? Is it an issue at all?

I have not looked closely at the convergence issues yet - scared to look deeper. Over all the picture is very good.

M.

I suppose that lines that are supposed to be horizontal do not look horizontal?

Before you dismiss this as a defect, I suggest that you try the following:

Check that the lens is indeed parallel to the screen. If it is not, then rectangles will look like trapezoids and you may be trying to adjust for this by raising one side.
Put up a grid pattern using AVIA (or some other dvd) and make sure that with the PJ levelled everything looks correct. Swivel the PJ if needed to make lines look horizontal and center the image on the screen using the lens shift joystick. Even a slight deviation from the parallel can make rectangles look odd! Swiveling the projector is easier than using the lens shift lever (a pain on the AE900 if you ask me!), but it is NOT a substitute to using the lens shift to center the image on the screen. It will mess up the geometry.

Let us know how this turns out!
post #97 of 105 Old 11-01-2006, 07:16 AM

Guys, thanks for the responses. I am using the lens shift to adjust the image because the projector is not entirely centered on the screen.

The issue is not keystoning, if the projector was not paralell to the screen I would see a picture without parallel sides or top/bottom depending on how the PJ is off from the screen. What I am seeing is actually a perfect rectangular screen but with the entire thing tilted to one side - specifically the right side tilts down while the PJ itself sits on a perfectly level surface.

Hope this makes sense.
post #98 of 105 Old 11-01-2006, 09:00 AM

put a level on the projector and make sure your screen is level.. if both are level but the image is tilted then I think I would send it to heartland...
post #99 of 105 Old 11-21-2006, 09:24 PM

I live in Bothell and I am interested in fixing the convergence on my AE900.

Thanks

-Patrick Rogers

Patrick Rogers
post #100 of 105 Old 11-21-2006, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Rogers View Post

I live in Bothell and I am interested in fixing the convergence on my AE900.

Thanks

-Patrick Rogers

If you are within the warranty period, your best bet may be to send it in to Heartland. It may indeed be an extremely difficult operation to adjust the convergence on these ...
post #101 of 105 Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 AM

I had my optical block replaced recently, I had a green blob and bad convergence.
It is much better now, but something to check is the air temp.
Since getting it back I have been monitoring the air temp by the fan intake on the side and have noticed my convergence is best at 74 or 75F. Out of this range it gets worse.
post #102 of 105 Old 04-11-2007, 08:26 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stowey View Post

I had my optical block replaced recently, I had a green blob and bad convergence.
It is much better now, but something to check is the air temp.
Since getting it back I have been monitoring the air temp by the fan intake on the side and have noticed my convergence is best at 74 or 75F. Out of this range it gets worse.

Can you please describe a little more this green blob?
I might be experiencing the same...

Right at the middle of the screen at dark all black screens you can see 2 greenish blobs... they are there at all times, but when scenes of color are playing its hard to tell...

Thanks
post #103 of 105 Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like it may be dust. I would take your projector out of focus in both directions while looking at it. If the edges become more defined, it's dust.
post #104 of 105 Old 04-12-2007, 07:20 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF Ghost View Post

It sounds like it may be dust. I would take your projector out of focus in both directions while looking at it. If the edges become more defined, it's dust.

I wasn't quite sure if you where reffering to me or not....

I've cleaned the lens but I'm guessing you're suggesting dust inside the lens, creating the green blob as a shadow?

I'll check it tonight...

N
post #105 of 105 Old 04-13-2007, 06:38 PM

it would not move with the lens, it looked like a splat, with a random wavey edge, greener than the black around it, located in the top left area, about 1/16 the width of the screen by 1/10 the height, I would say it was dust inline with the green lcd light path.

If yours is visible in dark scenes and under warranty, I would send it in for repair, mine looks like new now. I now run an air filter directed up at the back of my projector.

stowey
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page