Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2274 Old 12-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bluto how long have you had your IN72?

iF YOU JUST GOT IT THEN CALL INFOCUS AND DEMAND a new unit ( advanced Exchange ) you buy another one with your credit card and you are reinburts when they receive your older modle with the 1amper .Demand they pay for shipping both ways ( they will ) and the good news is your warrantee starts the day you charged the new one and you are ceratin to get the newer modle with the 2 amp fuse .

You cant go wrong .

good luck\\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2274 Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 PM

ia bestpricecameras an authorized seller, is the warrantee and rebate valid? Time to swap out the 4805.
post #63 of 2274 Old 12-08-2006, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post

Mupi wrote

Mupi, only a special kind of idiot can't figure out that surge a protector/power center protects ALL their equipment, so a $300 investment for what might be a $2000-$10,000 system that includes a projector makes a lot of sense.

I dont have a need for a power conditioner for any of my equipment. I just have a
surge protector for my gear.

You might want to keep your sarcasm to the other thread. If I also start calling you names this thread will soon be closed. so stay in that thread where you belong.
post #64 of 2274 Old 12-08-2006, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mupi wrote

Mupi, only a special kind of idiot can't figure out that surge a protector/power center protects ALL their equipment, so a $300 investment for what might be a $2000-$10,000 system that includes a projector makes a lot of sense.

and also hooking up a power conditioner for all the equipment in the house is not going to be an easy task. It would need a lot more than $300.
All my life I never ever had to use a power conditioner for any of the houehold equipment like fridge, washer/dryer, oven etc.
so why would I spend $300 just to protect a $599 system. All the projector needs is a surge protector for $20 bucks.

Like I said before this thread seems like it is mostly for beginers who have IN72
and have basic questions regarding set up etc.

So It would be better that folks like you stay in that thread and not come here and ruin this one.

We are only interested in spending some $599 and may be some $50 more for
adapters, surge protectors etc. Nothing more.
post #65 of 2274 Old 12-08-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyAgain View Post

bluto how long have you had your IN72?

iF YOU JUST GOT IT THEN CALL INFOCUS AND DEMAND a new unit ( advanced Exchange ) you buy another one with your credit card and you are reinburts when they receive your older modle with the 1amper .Demand they pay for shipping both ways ( they will ) and the good news is your warrantee starts the day you charged the new one and you are ceratin to get the newer modle with the 2 amp fuse .

You cant go wrong .

good luck\\

I just got mine a few days ago (no problems yet, knock-on-wood) but I do see that the reseller I purchased it from received it from Infocus in September. More than likely I have a 1A fuse? Either way, I'll give Infocus a call (looks like their free tech support is only open M-F).
post #66 of 2274 Old 12-08-2006, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
the 1-amp fuse issue is directly releated to ceiling mounted installations. it is a heat issue. i also believe (although infocus will not adknowledge) that the last 2-3 firmware upgrades that addressed fan speed and noise have increased heat, which has thus increased the risk for 1 amp fuse owners to have it blow. if your unit is less than 30 days, you should be able to get a new unit under doa policy through your reseller if this problem occurs. if it's older, you will be able to get a refurbished advance exchange for $99 with a guarantee of less than 600 hours on the bulb. you should be able to find out which fuse you have by calling tech support. all refurbished units leave the factory with the latest approved spec (2 amp fuse). if i didn't love my in72 and in76 so much, i'd be pretty upset as my in72 died last week a week after upgrading to the latest firmware. i jumped 3 steps. it died a week after the upgrade while in high lamp mode for about 2.5 hours. i normally run in low lamp mode, but at 1600 hours i wanted a little more pop with my hd-dvd player. i have yet (and am hesitant) to upgrade my in76. in my case, all it really does for me is give me a full 16:9 splash screen--something i can live without. infocus will address the issue as a fix-on-fail basis only.

"the one who has the most fun wins."
post #67 of 2274 Old 12-08-2006, 08:15 PM

I got two of these for 4xx, x=0, After rebate. Not bad ! Both have original firmware & with issues of 1 or 2 amp fuses I'm reluctant to upgrade it. My seller told me that both were 2 amp. It's connected to a HDDVR receiver with hdmi & bravo DVD player, dvi. The picture is wonderful. Moving from the 4805 the difference is very apparent. I do notice that the better optics show the screendoor a bit more at 13' on a 92" screen. It is alot brighter but then again also has a new bulb. If I try I can notice a little rainbow effect on movies with the bravo. For instance where dark images have a bright background light. This really is not an issue for me after a few minutes of watching. I know the 72 does 48 on the bravo. Not to badly compressed hd looks really great. Standard looks fine. Black levels are indeed better & will improve I think with a dimmer bulb. I need to do some more thread searches to get the film-like smoothness of the 4805 with the better optic/dvi.connection that I now have. In my limited opinion this projector is a really great deal. I can watch all the programming I want & not worry about lamp hours. It's always nice to have a back-up projector.
post #68 of 2274 Old 12-08-2006, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoting Mupi: "What kind of an idiot would spend some $300 on a power conditioner to save a $599 projector" "We are only interested in spending some $599 and may be some $50 more for adapters, surge protectors etc. Nothing more."

Mupi, what "we" are you talking about? I'd appreciate it if you didn't assume everyone thinks as you do. I think when you make statements like the above you speak only for yourself. I've never found the InFocus users who participate in the forum here particularly cheap. They know a good bargain when they see it, but often have components and speakers that are far from the low end. They're looking to maximize their home theater and power management is part of that equation. Something like a basic Monster Power conditioner (not my recommended brand) can be quite effective at lowering audio haze, helping dialogue to be more intelligible. It can prevent a whole system from a lightning surge ( that actually happened to me), some notice less hash in their picture making blacks more solid and colors pop. How much people notice depends on the AC quality in their area. The benefits go on and on, but the point is, peace of mind is a valuable thing and if a power conditioner prevents someone from having to wait a month or more while their projector is getting fixed, it's more than worth the original cost.

Second, a price of $599 is deceptive. The 4805 I had cost me $1400 and the IN72 is superior and strangely underpriced for some reason only the InFocus execs know. Many people gladly paid $1299 and then $999 and I bet most of them have a DVD player and a receiver and cable box and speakers and all of them are affected by the quality of the AC they receive, and could benefit from a power conditioner. Who said anything about a whole house?

If you want a very inexpensive system, I can appreciate that. You made a great choice in the IN72 because it's is not a low quality product, despite the relatively low price. So I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I think I'm quite welcome here and will happily stick around and enjoy this thread.

Now back to the IN72, if my DVD player is on when I'm watching TV, I lose the signal when changing from standard def to high def. It switches to the DVD source. Anyone else find this?
post #69 of 2274 Old 12-09-2006, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprro1 View Post

ia bestpricecameras an authorized seller, is the warrantee and rebate valid? Time to swap out the 4805.

do not do business with these shysters.
Quote:

bestpricecameras

the price i saw was at a different place.

I have sent you a pm
post #70 of 2274 Old 12-09-2006, 07:03 AM

I am also reluctant to upgrade my firmware in fear of poppimg a fuse.
The fan is quite loud.
Mine is ceiling mounted and about 3" behind the seating area.

At least I said sorry.
post #71 of 2274 Old 12-09-2006, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quoting Mupi: "What kind of an idiot would spend some $300 on a power conditioner to save a $599 projector" "We are only interested in spending some $599 and may be some $50 more for adapters, surge protectors etc. Nothing more."

Mupi, what "we" are you talking about? I'd appreciate it if you didn't assume everyone thinks as you do. I think when you make statements like the above you speak only for yourself. I've never found the InFocus users who participate in the forum here particularly cheap. They know a good bargain when they see it, but often have components and speakers that are far from the low end. They're looking to maximize their home theater and power management is part of that equation. Something like a basic Monster Power conditioner (not my recommended brand) can be quite effective at lowering audio haze, helping dialogue to be more intelligible. It can prevent a whole system from a lightning surge ( that actually happened to me), some notice less hash in their picture making blacks more solid and colors pop. How much people notice depends on the AC quality in their area. The benefits go on and on, but the point is, peace of mind is a valuable thing and if a power conditioner prevents someone from having to wait a month or more while their projector is getting fixed, it's more than worth the original cost.

Second, a price of $599 is deceptive. The 4805 I had cost me $1400 and the IN72 is superior and strangely underpriced for some reason only the InFocus execs know. Many people gladly paid $1299 and then $999 and I bet most of them have a DVD player and a receiver and cable box and speakers and all of them are affected by the quality of the AC they receive, and could benefit from a power conditioner. Who said anything about a whole house?

If you want a very inexpensive system, I can appreciate that. You made a great choice in the IN72 because it's is not a low quality product, despite the relatively low price. So I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I think I'm quite welcome here and will happily stick around and enjoy this thread.

Now back to the IN72, if my DVD player is on when I'm watching TV, I lose the signal when changing from standard def to high def. It switches to the DVD source. Anyone else find this?

I very much doubt someone with a $10,000 worth of audio gear would
hesitate to for a $3000 projector. If they have a 10K worth of gear I am sure
they would have already invested on a $300 power conditioner! So for
them the fuse may not be an issue.

Anyway... like I said before leave your name calling and sarcasm etc from this
thread. As you can see so far people are not ranting about D65 or gray scale
or all the dealership crap. I am sure most of the beginers dont care about them
as much. So I might be able to speak for others. There are many who live in an apt and they cant be banging a subwoofer in an apt. The big picture matters more to them than a 12'' sub which would risk them being evicted!

No more debates on this.
post #72 of 2274 Old 12-09-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Different strokes for different folks there Mupi No sarcasm intended . That "D65, grey scale dealership crap" might prove interesting and informative to many beginners, so why suggest limiting the input here? I'm no pro when it comes to projectors and I for one really appreciate it when the pros drop by our humble little threads and drop some science on us. I know of no other forum where the actual designer of a product (Bob Williams/InFocus) participates. So let's all just enjoy ourselves and help each other get the most from our hobby, eh?

No answer yet on the sync question from standard def to high def? What's the most current firmware? Thanks.
post #73 of 2274 Old 12-09-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyAgain View Post

do not do business with these shysters.
the price i saw was at a different place.

I have sent you a pm

Yeah i saw that too, thanks though. I was surprised too see it for less. So Bestpricecameras is shady i guess, not really surprised.

Is the other place shipping the 2a fuse units?

thanks,
g
post #74 of 2274 Old 12-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Different strokes for different folks there Mupi No sarcasm intended . That "D65, grey scale dealership crap" might prove interesting and informative to many beginners, so why suggest limiting the input here? I'm no pro when it comes to projectors and I for one really appreciate it when the pros drop by our humble little threads and drop some science on us. I know of no other forum where the actual designer of a product (Bob Williams/InFocus) participates. So let's all just enjoy ourselves and help each other get the most from our hobby, eh?

No answer yet on the sync question from standard def to high def? What's the most current firmware? Thanks.

Hi Martin, visited your website and enjoyed your music.

2.8 is the latest firmware, here's the history:

Play Big IN72 Firmware Revision History
Version Date Notes/Enhancements
v2.8 26-Oct-2006 · System lockup on boot-up when only first item in Source Enable menu (HDMI) is enabled (all others disabled). · Offset the menu from the top and left edges by a few pixels (5% of native horizontal resolution).
v2.7 18-Jul-2006 · For manufacturing reasons only
v2.6 23-June-2006 · Improved fan control and audible noise · Keystoning improved in ceiling mode · Resolved image shift with 480i/576i signals · Resolved compatiblity issues with Panasonic DVD-297 DVD player with HDMI. · Splash screen expanded to fill 16:9 space. · Fixed issue where the projector would stop sub-source searching on the M1-DA connector if all sources except M1-DA are disabled. · Fixed a hue shift issue with some 1080p component sources. · Computer does not go into Power Save mode while upgrading software.
v2.5 14-April-2006 · Improvements to video syncing table · HDMI video codes corrected (1-34) · Fixed interlaced computer sources image shift. · Fixed no image issue after 4 hour sleep mode was initialized. · Added M1 and HDMI in HDMI DDC option. · Fixed lockup issues when disabling all "source enables" except for one, then power cycling unit. · Corrected hue shift in the black levels for component video inputs. · Removed fan speed increase during power down. · Fixed vertical position jump, when aspect ratio is set to crop top and bottom of the image.
v2.2 N/A · Initial release

Regards,
sgibson
post #75 of 2274 Old 12-09-2006, 05:06 PM

if your unit is less than 30 days, you should be able to get a new unit under doa policy through your reseller if this problem occurs. if it's older, you will be able to get a refurbished advance exchange for $99 with a guarantee of less than 600 hours on the bulb. you should be able to find out which fuse you have by calling tech support. all refurbished units leave the factory with the latest approved spec (2 amp fuse).

I am looking at a IN72 to replace my x1 which is ceiling mounted, are you saying that the 1 year warranty is not valid on the fuse issue?
Thanks, Mike
post #76 of 2274 Old 12-09-2006, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

no, the one year is valid. i'm simply saying it it blows within 30 days, you should be able to get a new replacement. after 30 days, you either get a repair option, or a $99 advance exchange refurb. the refurb is not new.

post #77 of 2274 Old 12-09-2006, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd think twice before getting the refurb. When I got my 4805 it had a problem, so InFocus exchanged it. the second model never seemed quite as sharp and clear to me, although it was probably within spec. That one had to be sent back twice for repairs and finally looked great after they replaced the light engine. It turned out that I was one of the first to discover an issue that was eventually fixed by firmware, so they didn't know what to do except give me another one at that time. If you're happy with the IN72 I'd let them fix the one you have. In two weeks it'll all be over. As Mike said though, if you've had it less than 30 days, by all means get a new one. Good luck.
post #78 of 2274 Old 12-09-2006, 08:48 PM

i know this was an issue in the 4805 original thread, but I'll bring it up hear too. Do you thinks its ok to hard power off the 72 or let the fan cool it for a while, i guess this thing get hotter than the 4805?

In last months perfect vision there was a question about using upc's on a dlp telivision, a manufacture replied saying yes, as a single unexpected power outage could reduce bulb life up to 20% due to the bulb filament overheating after a hard power off. This is counter to what was said in the 4805 thread.
post #79 of 2274 Old 12-09-2006, 09:10 PM

seems abes of main is offering a free fixed "mustang" screen also. Any idea what a mustang screen is, guessing it's a mat white?
post #80 of 2274 Old 12-10-2006, 07:09 AM

Like an idiot, I lost the piece of paper that I wrote down the default settings. I did change a keystone setting. I would like to change it back to default, but I can't recall what it was.

Anyone have a list of the default settings.
post #81 of 2274 Old 12-10-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

there should be an option in the menu to return to defaults.

post #82 of 2274 Old 12-10-2006, 09:51 AM

Is there any data yet to show if the IN72 suffers from the color wheel bearing or light tube issues that were common with the X1 and SP4805? The color wheel issue presented as a loud buzz saw kind of noise and the light tube issue appears as a yellow stripe down the right side of the screen.

These kind of issues concern me because failure of either after the warranty turns the projector into a doorstop because the parts are not available for reasonable cost.

-Mike
post #83 of 2274 Old 12-10-2006, 12:59 PM

Why is it that a throw distance of 11' calculations show that the screen on a LCD projector won't be much bigger than 55" while a DLP at the same throw distance is more like 75-80"?

I'm comparing the IN72, IN74EX, and the Sanyo PLV-Z5. I can't see paying $2k for a 55" screen when I could just get a plasma and not have to worry about the BS bulb warranties projectors come with.
post #84 of 2274 Old 12-10-2006, 02:06 PM

Anyone else have a problem with their component/HDMI input on IN72? Mine is only showing in shades of pink. Tried a 360 + component as well as a computer + DVI<-->HDMI cable. O_O

Anyone know what I could have screwed up to cause this? Or know what might be busted on my projector?
post #85 of 2274 Old 12-10-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

When I tried shifting from "AUTO" to RGB settings, as was recommended earlier in the thread I got a totally green picture, so I switched back to AUTO. Luminus, perhaps the same thing might be affecting your picture. I use DVI to M1 from my OPPO DVD player and component from my cable box. Should I be set at RGB for DVD and if so, why can't I switch? I want to be sure I'm using the proper setting for video DVI, not for computer like the 4805 came with.
post #86 of 2274 Old 12-10-2006, 03:04 PM

Liked: 13
Got the IN72 a few days ago and am thinking about pairing with a Bravo D1. Any advice on what kind of cable for the connection? The M1 to DVI cable at the Infocus store costs more than the D1. Thanks for the help!
post #87 of 2274 Old 12-10-2006, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style= has cheap and quality cabling.

Huey ;-]
post #88 of 2274 Old 12-10-2006, 03:23 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks, Huey!
post #89 of 2274 Old 12-10-2006, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Mike

Mechanical design quality and reliability were part of the new case design improvements - it is not just a plastic shell. That is not to say there will be no issues - just that the previous models used portable biz projector cases that were not designed for permanent installs.
post #90 of 2274 Old 12-10-2006, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Martin - you should have RGB video and RGB PC settings - if not upgrade your firmware. If your player is sending out digital component YCbCr (more common with HDMI players) rather than RGB - then you want REC601.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus Sp Lamp 025 Projector Lamp For In72 In74 In76

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page