Infocus IN72 Specific Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2274 Old 12-10-2006, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well, I officially pulled the trigger on the In72 today. I couldn't pass up the deal. Even the cheapest HD-ILD set I found was $1800. I will be giving my living room a makeover now. I had intended on just putting a plasma or RP up on the credenza, but with the money saved on the In72, I will be able to a ceiling mount with wire track, screen, new dvd player, amplifier, speakers, the works and even do some curtains and control the lighting even further for $600 less than JUST the tv the other way. My main reasons were that there is just not enough HD content yet to make a 1080p set worth it at this time. Face it , a Blu-Ray player would have set me back another thousand on top of that. I primarily watch DVD's and SD content right now (although Time Warner will upgrade me to an HD converter for no charge to watch my shows on) That coupled with the input I garnered talking to people here made helped make the decision. Now, I can't wait until it arrives!!!

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2274 Old 12-10-2006, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dledmo View Post

Thanks, Huey!

x2 Thanks, I just ordered one. Then i noticed they have teh adapter for M1 to DVI .
I have a nice DVI cable and really only needed the adapter, but ir was the same price.

At least I said sorry.
post #93 of 2274 Old 12-11-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Well, I officially pulled the trigger on the In72 today. I couldn't pass up the deal. Even the cheapest HD-ILD set I found was $1800. I will be giving my living room a makeover now. I had intended on just putting a plasma or RP up on the credenza, but with the money saved on the In72, I will be able to a ceiling mount with wire track, screen, new dvd player, amplifier, speakers, the works and even do some curtains and control the lighting even further for $600 less than JUST the tv the other way. My main reasons were that there is just not enough HD content yet to make a 1080p set worth it at this time. Face it , a Blu-Ray player would have set me back another thousand on top of that. I primarily watch DVD's and SD content right now (although Time Warner will upgrade me to an HD converter for no charge to watch my shows on) That coupled with the input I garnered talking to people here made helped make the decision. Now, I can't wait until it arrives!!!

You won't be sorry. Just make sure you can control the light in your room.
It seems sporting events can be watched in quite a bit of light (or lights on at night), but TV shows seem to fade in the same amount of light. So you will need to darken the room during the day for best results.

At least I said sorry.
post #94 of 2274 Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Light control is not an issue. I should be able to almost "blackout" the room. The other plus is that all the light is behind the screen versus behind the projector and shining onto the screen. Right now, I have to shop for a decent surround setup, hopefully a reasonably priced one with HDMI switching. I think I am going to fore go the Bravo and get the JVC combo because it suits my needs. That and my 8300HD both will put out signal via HDMI, so I should be able to get a top quality image (both can be set to 480p). The other pain I have to deal with is running wires. Can anyone suggest a place to get inexpensive raceways/cord covers. I need some that will screw on or stick to the wall so I can run cable up from under the screen to the ceiling and down to the projector. Thanks for everyone who has and is giving input, it definitely makes the buying experience a better one.

post #95 of 2274 Old 12-11-2006, 07:42 AM

I purchased an IN72 with a 92" mustang screen for about $800 CDN and I am wondering if I should have spent the extra $500-$600 and got a 720p projector. All the reviews I have read say the IN72 is a fantastic projector and displays HD content very well. I only have HD satellite (maybe 12-15 channels), XBOX, upconverting DVD player and a Wii. Will this projector display at least as good as DVD quality pictures on a 92" screen for about 14' away?

Also, how do I find out what fuse my projector has? They are currently on backorder and will be shipped to me on Dec 12th. I put in a dedicated ceiling outlet with a surge protector on it. Will this help with the fuse issue?

Thanks for all the help!
post #96 of 2274 Old 12-11-2006, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Better than DVD quality from a high def source! My high def cable channels look fantastic!
post #97 of 2274 Old 12-11-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey, quick question on the In72 and HDMI cables. I'm going to need at least a 25ft. cable to go from under the screen to the back of the room where the projector is located. I heard that runs this long will impact the PQ. I plan on using an amplifier with dual/switching HDMI inputs and run a single HDMI cable out to the projector, but I don't want the image to suffer. Also, anyone know where I can get a decent 5.1 channel amp/receiver with HDMI. I've found several 7.1's but didn't really want to wire up the extra speakers seeing as most everything is broadcast in 5.1 and will be for some time.

post #98 of 2274 Old 12-11-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Hey, quick question on the In72 and HDMI cables. I'm going to need at least a 25ft. cable to go from under the screen to the back of the room where the projector is located. I heard that runs this long will impact the PQ. I plan on using an amplifier with dual/switching HDMI inputs and run a single HDMI cable out to the projector, but I don't want the image to suffer. Also, anyone know where I can get a decent 5.1 channel amp/receiver with HDMI. I've found several 7.1's but didn't really want to wire up the extra speakers seeing as most everything is broadcast in 5.1 and will be for some time.

If you get a 7.1, you don't have to wire the extra speakers. Only wire the 5 that you have.
post #99 of 2274 Old 12-11-2006, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

True, but I don't have a problem adding the two side channels if they are there. Most of the amps I'm looking at have some kind of decoder to utilize them. I'll see how everything comes out and try to post some pictures when its all done. Probably have the whole thing done in January when I'm off work.

post #100 of 2274 Old 12-11-2006, 01:07 PM

My best friend has the IN72 and I was thinking about getting him an Oppo for Xmas.

Which would be better the 970 or the 971. Is there a noticeable difference? His screen is 80 some inches.

He wants to use the DVI input for the cable box. Any advice?

Thanks!
kempo
post #101 of 2274 Old 12-11-2006, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

KRASMUSIC:
Quote:

Martin - you should have RGB video and RGB PC settings - if not upgrade your firmware. If your player is sending out digital component YCbCr (more common with HDMI players) rather than RGB - then you want REC601.

Thanks Kras, I'll check my firmware later tonight. I bought mine from AVS, but feared I'd probably get an earlier firmware. No big feal with a PC, but I use a mac. Is there a way to get mac compatible firmware upgrades? I'm using the OPPO 971 via DVI with the M1 adapter. Does the "AUTO" function find the proper video DVI settings, even though my RGB setting is all green?
post #102 of 2274 Old 12-11-2006, 04:27 PM

how can you find out if a retailer is authorized and carries the full warantee and rebate offer, specificaly Abes of Main?

and, any good way to get an extended warantee and /or bulb warrantee?

thanks,
g
post #103 of 2274 Old 12-11-2006, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got my screen today, an Elite manual, and now when I put in the signal from my Directv reciever I can see white waves going across the screen. I am thinking than maybe it is a low refresh rate. I have looked through the menu and can't find a refresh option. On the source info vertical refresh is 60hz. I am using composite cables. Any advice?
post #104 of 2274 Old 12-11-2006, 09:10 PM

Hey, I have some dumb questions, just want to make sure i get the rebate right, where the rebate form says reseller information you just list the place where you bought it right? Also, it says the company name is a required field under the your information section, I am assuming I can leave that blank? thanks
post #105 of 2274 Old 12-12-2006, 02:55 AM

Jumped on this projector as an interim fix for the next year or so.

Upgraded (or should I say "side-graded") from the SP4805

I wasn't expecting much difference but all I can say is WOW.

The image has more "punch" to it. The colors are more vivid. And the blacks deeper.

The HD content looks great also and the quieter fan is the icing on the cake.

Looks like a winner.

I'll keep the 4805 as my "spare bulb" for now.
post #106 of 2274 Old 12-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

wow..
I'm one of those guys that refuses to pay extra FOR local HDTV in my area .
So I did some reading in the HDTV area in AVS and came across news of the USDIGITAL hd receiver from Wal-Mart. Sure enough I found a dusty box on the self and ask the manager if he would take $50 bucks for it and went home with my new box .
I hooked up the USDIGITAL to my IN72 and WOOOOW .The IN72 with HD really shines

what a picture I cant believe this is going over the air for free .( with the right gear ) .

I now need to learn more about Hd antennas and such but boy am I ever hooked .And I like the price FREE.
post #107 of 2274 Old 12-12-2006, 11:38 AM

Hey guys, been lurking these forums for about a year now. Finally took the plunge and got my first front PJ. I'm moving from an old tweak-out 36" SONY XBR 400 capable of 1080i (which still has incredible picture, BTW).

Got a IN72 and a make-shift 77" screen from white cardboard (until I decide the size I want). I'm sitting maybe about 10 ft away in a fully light-controlled room.

The image looks as good as I imagined. Doesn't have the crispness of plasmas (both good & bad) rather, it's smoother like real film. The size definitely adds impact and immersiveness to the material!

However, even with the cardboard screen (which probably has a gain of less than 1.0) I find the image a tad bright. According to the projector calculator pro, I'm generating about 32fL! Good news is that RBE is not really an issue for me unless a scene has super high-contrast like in SIN CITY...

So, my question is... Has anyone tried an ND2 filter on their IN72? What size will I need?

I know that the IN72 doesn't have a threaded lense for a filter. But I'm willing to tape one if I have to.
post #108 of 2274 Old 12-12-2006, 12:56 PM

So a certain Big Box store has the IN72 w/an instant rebate - could the Infocus rebate be added (or subtracted from, if you will) to that instant rebate?
post #109 of 2274 Old 12-12-2006, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

No, I too was temped to pick one up at the same Big Box store I think you are referring to, but it was still $100 more than buying it online with sales tax on top of that and no mail in rebate.

post #110 of 2274 Old 12-12-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post

So a certain Big Box store has the IN72 w/an instant rebate - could the Infocus rebate be added (or subtracted from, if you will) to that instant rebate?

If you read the rebate form closely you will see that they exclude BB from the list of eligible places for the rebate.
post #111 of 2274 Old 12-12-2006, 05:00 PM

Could some owners here post a pic or two of the IN72 playing HDTV? Mine is mounted, but my HD cable box won't be in for a week. I'm getting anxious about not getting a 720p unit with the upcoming bowl games almost here. Please put my fears to rest. BTW, DVD playback has been stellar.
post #112 of 2274 Old 12-12-2006, 05:42 PM

Pictures don't really show the quality of HD, unless you are using a great camerea and know how to shoot in a dark room bright subject setting.

But here are some crappy pictures. The Greys Anatomy is a standard cable shot and an HD cable shot. The Bee dude is HD. These look nothing like the actual picture quality.

Digital Cable (Not Standard)
Notice the wide screen in comparison.
HD CABLE
Bee Dude
Bee Dude.1

At least I said sorry.
post #113 of 2274 Old 12-12-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyAgain View Post

do not do business with these shysters.
the price i saw was at a different place.

I have sent you a pm

refering to Best Price Camera's

they claim their products cary full warrantee and rebates?
how do these resellers say they are when some are saying different. I called infocus and waited on hold for 25 min then hung up. what happens if you buy from a place that says they have warratee, but turn out to not be authorized?
post #114 of 2274 Old 12-12-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartseff View Post

Anyone have any experience purchasing an IN72 from TofuDealers.com for $499 AR?

Hopefully implied message was recieved.

I think I would not mess with them and go with JumpinRhonda.com for $449 AR.
post #115 of 2274 Old 12-12-2006, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post

KRASMUSIC:

Thanks Kras, I'll check my firmware later tonight. I bought mine from AVS, but feared I'd probably get an earlier firmware. No big feal with a PC, but I use a mac. Is there a way to get mac compatible firmware upgrades? I'm using the OPPO 971 via DVI with the M1 adapter. Does the "AUTO" function find the proper video DVI settings, even though my RGB setting is all green?

Boot your mac into PC mode - it might work if a modern intel mac. Infocus drivers/software for doing the updates are Windows XP only.....you need a friend you can con into loaning out a PC laptop otherwise.

I recall BobWilliams saying there where some cases that AUTO may not work - HTPC for example - so they added the manual override.

Your Oppo must be putting out digital component YCbCr - in that case choose REC601 or REC709 if RGB PC or RGB Video is clearly wrong.

Sadly digital is a mess - just try what looks closest to right when auto does not work!
post #116 of 2274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Kras. I think I can borrow a friend's pc laptop, although it's a pain in th a**. Funny, I never had to upgrade firmware for my 4805 because it happened that as firmware was changing I had sent it in for repairs and they did it. I'd look at the disc they sent for instructions, but it's for a pc, isn't that nice? So, any general instructions for downloading firware would be most appreciated, thanks in advance.
post #117 of 2274 Old 12-13-2006, 06:05 AM

bluto, thanks. Bad pictures or not, I can still see a difference between SD and HD. I appreciate it.
post #118 of 2274 Old 12-13-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartseff View Post

Anyone have any experience purchasing an IN72 from TofuDealers.com for $499 AR?

Hopefully implied message was recieved.

I got mine a few days ago from the famous Tofuya you speak of. Got it fairly quickly. (Of course, I live near a UPS hub...) Looks like a fresh unit. Had v2.6 firmware out of the box. Dunno if that's with the 2A fuse or not...

I've only put about 4 hours on my lamp. No full movies yet. Just setting-up and testing, etc...

Mailed in my rebate form too.
post #119 of 2274 Old 12-13-2006, 10:04 AM

Mine is also a TD unit and has v2.6 (I'm guessing it's a 1A and have yet to hear back from Infocus email support). So far, so good.
post #120 of 2274 Old 12-13-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twehttam View Post

Mine is also a TD unit and has v2.6 (I'm guessing it's a 1A and have yet to hear back from Infocus email support). So far, so good.

If it's got a 1A fuse, will they somehow address it? (Is it a ticking time-bomb? I missed the discussion about that issue.)
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus Sp Lamp 025 Projector Lamp For In72 In74 In76

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page