AVS Forum banner

Infocus IN72 Specific Thread

247K views 2K replies 289 participants last post by  kneedrag32 
#1 ·
Hey All,

With the IN7X series being out for a while, I feel it's time to diversify and specify! To get things going, I'm running an IN72, casting an 84" image (no screen, white wall) with an OPPO 971 and Comcast HD (see below for settings). Seating distance is at about 11'. This set-up has been up and running for about 2 weeks and has not disappointed, although tweaking is still in progress! Screen door is noticeable with light backgrounds and credits. Just wondering what set-up others are running? For questions, I've noticed that the "Natural Wide" does not stretch a 4:3 image to the 16:9 aspect ratio, is this correct? Are people using different projector settings (i.e., RGB gains) for DVI/HDMI settings versus component input?

Oppo settings:

DVI-MA1

Brightness: +5

Contrast: 0

Saturation: +1

Comcast HD: Component connection

Happy viewing,

bmrr

See less See more
#1,828 ·
Bruce Wayne

All I can say is just wait until you have your HTPC set up properly. I hope you have DVE or Avia (my vote for DVE). Calibrate and make sure your video levels are correct (the IN72 is supposed to do this automatically).

You will want to pixel-map via dvi as well. Trust me, your effort is worthwhile.

#1,830 ·
You have a PM! Yes, they are expensive. I heard someone was working on a way to get just the bulb so one could take apart the lamp and replace a blown one for under $200. Haven't heard much on this recently though.

#1,832 ·
So the 72 is pre-cal to 6500k, right. And I am not supposed to do anything but plug it in and let it roll. So what about all the diffrent video sources, I have two DVD players that I swap in and out just for the sake of doing it I

#1,833 ·
CRAP,,,,,, HIT THE WRONG BUTTON. Anyway, my question is this, do I calibrate the source or the projector, some dvd players dont have contrast and brightness adjustments, so I have to adjust the unit inthis reguard , but what about color, does the projector automatically correct the color from a video source?

#1,835 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David HT guy /forum/post/12028281

Has any body found a way to secure an ND filter to the IN72. The last time I checked it seemed like the Hoya 62mm was a good bet, but they were not holding. Any way other than a dab of glue or silicone?

Never fitted a ND2 to the IN72, but if I did it certainly wouldn't be with glue.
What about a small amount of that tacking "putty" used for hanging pictures?

#1,836 ·
I could try the putty. I have not bought a filter yet. I was waiting to see if someone found one that fit well. Your probably right that glue is not a good idea. I was thinking silicon because it won't permanently stick to the plastic case of the IN72 (I would test it first), but would probably hold well enough so that the filter would not come off by itself. Posters who have used a ND2 filter on the 72 said it improved the picture. I am curious to try one. I will have to find a camera store that will let me return it, but most stores near me will not allow returns for filters.

#1,837 ·
I have one from my old 4805. I have been trying to figure if it would make a difference in picture quality if I used it on the IN72. I tried using it initially, but it fell to the tile within hours. I have some removable plastic packing tape I could use, but I am concerned of what it would do to the case with the adhesive with the heat produced by the projector? I would assume it would not come of all the way, or it would eat away at the finish of the projector case.

#1,840 ·
I bought a generic 62mm filter for my 4805 and I am using the same for IN72 also. It fits the space but it wont be a tight fit like 4805. I just put a scotch tape and it holds it well. I have not changed the tape in 3-4 months.

It is PROMASTER ND2X Filter $15 from a local camera store.

I have some 800 hrs on my In72 since last december and even now I sometimes wonder if the filter has fallen as the image is so bright.

Also there has not been any change in fan noise. Still it is like a white noise. No sign of any of the high pitch noise. I was wondering if it is worth buying the extended lamp warranty or upgrade for a 720P when the lamp dies. I have not been abusing the projector. I am single and no pets. So my place is clean and I also keep it cool. I turn it on once in the evening and watch some 2-3 hrs either DVD or HD/SD TV and turn if off using the remote and also turn off the surge protector to which the IN72 is plugged.

I know there are some cheap projectors like Optoma HD70 but I was wondering what the IN72 owners have upgraded to. I would prefer a projector that has similar fan noise like IN72. I read that HD70 is a bit more noisy than HD72 in the projectorcentral review.

Mits 1500 also doesnt seem to have a quiet fan.

Other than IN76, is Infocus/Planar planning on releasing a cheaper 720P unit with the same chasis as the IN72. BTW I also didnt have the fuse issue on IN72 as I bought it directly from Infocus. Needless to mention the picture quality. I have been using the remote mainly to turn on/off the unit. No tweaking at all.

Basically I am looking for a 720P unit just like IN72. All they have to do is swap the 480 chip with a 720 chip :) and I dont mind paying $1000 for it.

#1,841 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi /forum/post/12038028

...Basically I am looking for a 720P unit just like IN72. All they have to do is swap the 480 chip with a 720 chip :) and I dont mind paying $1000 for it.

Unfortunately, the only thing "just like" the IN72 in 720p right now is the IN76. The Mitsu is probably the next closest thing right now in 720p, though, perhaps arguably, not the next best.

#1,846 ·
First, I learned that a "x2 ND" filter is the same as a ".3 ND" filter. This may save someone some time.

I got an ndx2 filter to test, and for me the results were not worth adding the filter to the projector. It was sort of hard to do an "A/B" test because I run the projector at about 40 brightness. I use the projector in a near dark room, projecting about 12 feet. When I use the filter, the best restults for my set up seemed to be at about 60 brightness. The filter made some of the colors darker. It was really hard to tell if the picture became sharper. But, the whites were somewhat greyed, and the filter gave an overall impression of a duller screen. Perhaps under a different set up the filter would be an improvement, but not for mine. Maybe the filter would work better if other settings were adjusted, but for me turning down the brightness makes for a darn good picture with DVD's (my only use with the projector). Anyway, the filter was worth the try just to know what it would do.

#1,847 ·
Does an ND2 filter crush the blacks like turning down the brightness does? I have noticed that the black bars at the top and bottom change very little in regards to the brightness setting. This tells me that the brightness setting is adjusting the gamma curve instead of the lamp. Is this a correct assumption? And if it is, then I should be able to use a filter to correct light output for a higher contrast image and bump the gamma up to keep from crushing the blacks. Do I make any sense or do I need to get another hobby? (Dont answer the last question)

#1,848 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne /forum/post/12060034

Does an ND2 filter crush the blacks like turning down the brightness does? I have noticed that the black bars at the top and bottom change very little in regards to the brightness setting. This tells me that the brightness setting is adjusting the gamma curve instead of the lamp. Is this a correct assumption? And if it is, then I should be able to use a filter to correct light output for a higher contrast image and bump the gamma up to keep from crushing the blacks. Do I make any sense or do I need to get another hobby? (Dont answer the last question)

Not sure I understand the question. A while back someone answered one of my posts by stating that an ND filter reduces the light output in a different way than turning down the brightness. That might answer your question. I also read some place that a purpose of an ND filter on a projector is to get the right "balance" between blacks and brightness. If you figure out how to use the ND filter and get back the whites and get rid of the "greyed-out" effect, then please let us know. But then, if you change the settings on the projector to completely compensate for the ND filter, then perhaps the filter would have no effect?

#1,849 ·
I think the right amount of light blockage would be just enough to get a fade to black to actually go black. My 72 is more like fade to dark grey. The opening scene of CARS would be a great test.

#1,850 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne /forum/post/12060981

I think the right amount of light blockage would be just enough to get a fade to black to actually go black. My 72 is more like fade to dark grey. The opening scene of CARS would be a great test.

I'll check that out this weekend. There are obviously a lot of variables to this. Screen size, distance between projector to screen, ambient light, screen gain. I have a near completly dark HT, about 11' or so distance from the projector to the screen, 92" diagonal screen, and about 1.0 gain screen (elite).

#1,851 ·
nd2 filters cut the light output across the entire spectrum by half. The black levels will be half as bright, and the white level will be half as bright. The main use for nd filters is to bring really bright projector/screen combinations closer to cinematic specked brightness. As a side benefit, when your bulb begins to dim, you can pop off the filter. So ideally you have a pj and screen combo that can use an nd2 for a 500-1000 hours and then pop off the filter and be bright for another 500-1000 hours.

nd filters will not improve contrast ratios. It would be cool if there was a filter that would lower only the lowest black levels, but preserve the whites and colors, but nothing like that exists as far as I know.

oh yeah, and i'm using masking tape to hold the filter on. 62mm that I used with the 4805

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.