Infocus IN72 Specific Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 2274 Old 02-01-2010, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone used a Wide Angle 0.5 Lens 72mm for any of the Infocus IN7x models? Just moved to a new home and projector is 12ft from screen resulting in 82" screen. I already have an expensive 92" 16:9 fixed screen and it looks "funny" not to mention loosing 10inches from my previous setup. I was told that this lens may help. Don't want to spend too much otherwise I'll just purchase a new short throw projector. Sorry if posting in the wrong forum.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2274 Old 02-05-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman-x View Post

For the IN72

Check out my screen build thread in my signature.

20Fan
Ohio State Buckeyes- GO BUCKS !
My Aluminum frame build
post #2253 of 2274 Old 02-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I'm having a weird problem with my IN72 (which until now has given a number of years of stalwart service!).

The problem is that when I connect my laptop via the M1-DA cable, which I've been doing with no problems for over a year, it's suddenly developed a problem in which the extended laptop desktop has a very noticeable blue tinge.

Anything that plays on the extended desktop, such as movie, also looks very blue.

I've been through all the IN72's menu setting, particularly anything to do with colour settings and it makes no difference.

I've just bought another M1-DA to VGA cable and the problem is still the same. I've tried a different laptop and the problem is still the same. So with a sinking heart I've realised it must be the IN72.

What is really weird is that the IN72 still looks absolutely fine on the other input settings. I use Composite for TV and HDMI for DVD signals, and both are totally normal. Only the M1-DA input has this blue cast over the entire picture.

Has anyone come across this before? Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Steve
post #2254 of 2274 Old 02-22-2010, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Sort of like how a computer monitor looks when the vga cable is not pushed in all the way.. maybe the connector on the projector has gone bad. Not sure if your laptop has it or not, but the newer ones have what they call a "Display Port" which looks like an HDMI but slightly different shape. They sell an adapter that will change display port to hdmi and it works very well. This would allow you to use a known good import on the projector.
post #2255 of 2274 Old 02-22-2010, 02:47 PM

Hi Airscapes,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sadly, I don't have a 'Display Port' on my laptop. VGA is my only out and only way of getting into my projector. If anyone else can suggest a fix for the IN72, or another work around I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Steve
post #2256 of 2274 Old 02-27-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys, I have an emergency request for help.. I've been keeping my pj in the closet for months now. I took it out a month ago, plugged it all in and everything was fine. Tried setting it up tonight to watch a movie and something's really wrong., everything's set up the same, but I'm getting a vertical white stripe projected on the screen that travels the whole screen, it's about 4" wide, straight down the screen, about a foot from the center. Anyone have a clue what the heck it is?
post #2257 of 2274 Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I calle InFocus and they think it's the chip. That will teach me to move my pj instead of just leaving well enough alone I guess.
post #2258 of 2274 Old 03-21-2010, 02:00 PM

Hi all,
Has anyone been able to get a newer Bly-ray player to work with the IN72.
I have tried it with a Samsung BD-C6500 and a Sony BDP-S360 and with both of them I get nothing but a black screen.

I also have a HTPC with a Blu-ray drive, using Total Media Theater 3 I also have the same Issue, only TMT does pop up a dialog stating my display is not HDCP compliant. Is this true? I thought the IN702 was HDCP compliant. I am able to get the Blu-ray to play in the HTPC if I use AnyDVD-HD so I have to assume it really is a HDCP issue.

I do have 2 IN72s and the issue is the same on both, any ideas if it is possible to make this work or is it just time to upgrade to a 1080p projector?

Thanks
Al
post #2259 of 2274 Old 03-21-2010, 02:26 PM

I have been able to use a blu ray player (Sharp), disable the auto select for the inputs. I had a problems with the sources changing, but when I disabled it, I could select HDMI without any problems. I hope that helps.
post #2260 of 2274 Old 03-22-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedyj View Post

I have been able to use a blu ray player (Sharp), disable the auto select for the inputs. I had a problems with the sources changing, but when I disabled it, I could select HDMI without any problems. I hope that helps.

Thanks,
I gave that a try and still nothing, I also did a reset but stil have the issue.
I recallo a year or so ago a friend came over with his PS3 and hooked it up via HDMI because he wanted to see how Blu-ray would look on the IN72 and it worked fine.

Thanks again
Al
post #2261 of 2274 Old 04-07-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman-x View Post

For the IN72

Happy with my fixed screen. Check out my screen build in my sig.

20Fan
Ohio State Buckeyes- GO BUCKS !
My Aluminum frame build
post #2262 of 2274 Old 12-15-2011, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The reliability of my Bravo DVD player is fading. I got it because of the high praise on this forum that it matched very well with the IN72. The picture looks great, but many times I have to eject the disc, turn it off, turn it back on and hope everything works ok. (I did replace the capacitor when I first got it.) The main problem now is a loud popping noise when a disc is first played. The off/on procedure solves this problem, most of the time. Are there any new (newer) DVD players that will look as good as the Bravo with the IN72? Thanks
post #2263 of 2274 Old 12-15-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Get the OPPO 983.
post #2264 of 2274 Old 12-27-2011, 02:04 PM

Has anyone's Component input stopped working on the InFocus in72? I've tried different Component cables, lowered the sync threshold and even tried different DVD and Cable boxes to no avail.

I'm running firmware 3.0 and can't determine if that's the latest version. Also, HDMI works fine.

Sidebar: Yes, I realize it HDMI is the way to go, but my theater was hard-wired with Component video cables only. Temporarily I have the cable box sitting on a chair below the in72 connected with HDMI and other various cables all strewn about. Pretty unsightly and I'm bound to knock the whole mess over!
post #2265 of 2274 Old 12-27-2011, 03:36 PM

I don't use my component, but I can test it in a day or so. One solution, albeit not the most elegant, is that you can get a component/HDMI converter and put it on top of the projector (or underneath with velcro), with a short HDMI cable to the projector. The converters are relatively inexpensive on ebay, when I checked a few years ago. The converter I used had a power supply (they come with a little transformer), so I think you would need to put a Y adapter on the power cord that currently goes to the projector, and run one to the projector and the other to the power transformer for the converter.
post #2266 of 2274 Old 12-29-2011, 01:16 AM

Thanks! I didn't realize there was an adapter. I'll consider it.

My neighbor is an electrician and he swears we can get an HDMI cable routed... its worth a shot! If that fails... I'll get the converter.

Thanks again!
post #2267 of 2274 Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK, it seems like whenever I change a video component I get amnesia and forget everything I ever knew about video resolutions, especially related to my IN72. And now I've added three new pieces to my HT setup: Pioneer VSX-1121-K AV receiver, Dynex DX-WBRDVD1 Blu-Ray player, and a new video card for my HTPC (ATI HD 6450), all capable of slinging HD content at my creaky old 480p PJ (which I love, and which is running well after 4200 hours).

It seems like a few years ago people thought that the IN72 did a better job of downconverting than most DVD players, so that one should just send whatever resolution the player and source material were at and let the IN72 deal with it ... and it seems like maybe that's changed now. Do I have that right? Should I set my Blu-Ray player to send 480p - through the AVR - to the IN72 and let the IN72 handle it natively?

Are there any other settings I should be thinking about to make things run smoothly/brightly/crisply?

I mostly watch SD DVD's but have started getting Blu-Rays occasionally, plus a fair amount of recorded or downloaded content watched through my HTPC. Live cable TV is by far the least important to me in terms of PQ.

Side question - I just realized that my firmware is old (2.7 I think). Is it vital to upgrade it to 3.0? I don't have the cable, and I'm not aware of any problems that could be FW-related, so I'd rather not bother if I can help it, but if a FW update would, say, make the fan quieter, I'd probably go for it.

Thanks for any assistance...
post #2268 of 2274 Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 AM

I realize your post is old, but I'm another proud owner of the creaky old IN72, so I'll chime in.

Based on my perceptions, sending 1080i or 720p to the IN72 gives marginally better PQ than 480p. That's not to say that there's no difference between SD and HD with this projector; HD content actually looks great considering the 72's resolution.

My experience may be dependent on the equipment I'm using. The IN72 has always seemed to both upscale and downscale quite well, so you probably won't notice a huge difference either way.
post #2269 of 2274 Old 02-29-2012, 10:23 AM

If you are mainly watching SDDVD content on the projector, then isn't that 480p? So, I don't see how upscaling the signal on the DVD player or the receiver, and then having the projector downscale it to 480p would improve the picture quality. Does the DVD player have a "native" output, so that it outputs whatever is the recorded format?
post #2270 of 2274 Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 AM

Sending upscaled SD content to a 480p projector probably won't make much of a difference, but I was referring to HD content (specifically Blu-Ray) at resolutions > 480p.

HD has PQ benefits beyond resolution, and the IN72 seems to scale very well with HD sources at 720p or 1080i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David HT guy View Post

If you are mainly watching SDDVD content on the projector, then isn't that 480p? So, I don't see how upscaling the signal on the DVD player or the receiver, and then having the projector downscale it to 480p would improve the picture quality. Does the DVD player have a "native" output, so that it outputs whatever is the recorded format?

post #2271 of 2274 Old 02-29-2012, 03:58 PM

Agree, and I now understand your point. I notice a huge difference between SD and HD TV on my in72, but that probably has more to do with the TV signal. I only have an SD DVD player connected to my projector, the Bravo, but you now have me curious about how blu-ray would look. For SD, based on these forums the Bravo with certain settings is the best. I might want to borrow a friend's blu-ray player and see how it looks. To do a fair test, I would probably need to rent the same movie in SD and in blu-ray to compare.
post #2272 of 2274 Old 06-23-2012, 08:19 AM

After nearly 6 years of use, my IN72 has developed a strange problem. The bulb is going strong, but suddenly, since last week, the projector will start up, and after 7-12 seconds, it will become unresponsive. I see red infocus logo, but after that nothing happens. None of the buttons on the projector works after 7-12 seconds, I can't even power it down by the on/standby button. The only way to do it would be to pull the cord out. Can anyone help me out? I understand that this thing is outdated.....
post #2273 of 2274 Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 AM

You could take the case apart and look at the board and see if there are any burnt marks. I had a burnt out part on mine. I was lucky enough to find a dealer who was willing to sell me the part. For mine, the blown part was 510-2111-00, replaced it with a 510-2111-02 and it worked again.
post #2274 of 2274 Old 09-11-2013, 07:35 PM

My IN72 just died. When it's plugged in, it makes a high pitched buzzing noise and will not power on. No LEDs light up. To stop the buzzing, I have to unplug it - the buzzing noise increases in pitch and fades away after about two seconds. Any ideas?

I realize this thread is pretty well obsolete, but perhaps someone has historical knowledge of the IN72 and could help. THANKS!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus Sp Lamp 025 Projector Lamp For In72 In74 In76

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page