Infocus IN72 Specific Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2274 Old 09-15-2006, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All,

With the IN7X series being out for a while, I feel it's time to diversify and specify! To get things going, I'm running an IN72, casting an 84" image (no screen, white wall) with an OPPO 971 and Comcast HD (see below for settings). Seating distance is at about 11'. This set-up has been up and running for about 2 weeks and has not disappointed, although tweaking is still in progress! Screen door is noticeable with light backgrounds and credits. Just wondering what set-up others are running? For questions, I've noticed that the "Natural Wide" does not stretch a 4:3 image to the 16:9 aspect ratio, is this correct? Are people using different projector settings (i.e., RGB gains) for DVI/HDMI settings versus component input?

Oppo settings:
DVI-MA1
Brightness: +5
Contrast: 0
Saturation: +1

Comcast HD: Component connection

Happy viewing,
bmrr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2274 Old 11-30-2006, 06:22 AM

Bmrr,

Are you using upconversion + digital (HDMI/DVI) hookup from the DVD to IN72? If so, have you compared the PQ from a 480P component output?

I am currently using a 480P component video (via a 3-1/2 yr old Tosh DVD player, 35ft run) - and considering using an upconverting DVD player (Oppo, Bravo or even the upconverting Toshiba available at Costco). Wondering if there is a significant difference in PQ .
post #3 of 2274 Old 12-01-2006, 09:55 AM

Hello, I don't currently have an In72, but I am very close to buying one. My only issue is whether I'd be able to get a good picture in my setup.

Like the first poster, I'll be sitting about 11 feet from the screen. According to the review at "Projector Reviews" the screen door effect of a 100" screen viewed from 11' is barely noticeable. This would be perfect for me, since I was hoping to get between a 90 and 100" screen.

But now you're saying with an 84" screen you still have screen door. I assume since you are happy with the picture the SDE doesn't "get in the way"? I think I can live with some SDE, but having no way of testing out a projector before I buy, I have no clue how bad the screen door effect can really be.

Thanks for any insight you may be able to give me with the projector.
post #4 of 2274 Old 12-01-2006, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i own an in72 and an in76. they're both awesome. both on 92" diag screens.

sde sensitivity is somewhat relative to each individual. i'm willing to put up with a little, others are not. anybody just getting into fp, should buy the projector, get it setup and then decide what size screen they can live with. 92" is pretty much the sweet spot for the IN72, but not set in stone. each individual's environment and personal taste plays a big role. a good rule of thumb that most here go by on a 480p pj is 2X screen width for seating distance. i actually sit about 1.5X and and am very happy. i like to feel a little more immersed in the image and live with a little sde.

"the one who has the most fun wins."
post #5 of 2274 Old 12-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post

i own an in72 and an in76. they're both awesome. both on 92" diag screens.

sde sensitivity is somewhat relative to each individual. i'm willing to put up with a little, others are not. anybody just getting into fp, should buy the projector, get it setup and then decide what size screen they can live with. 92" is pretty much the sweet spot for the IN72, but not set in stone. each individual's environment and personal taste plays a big role. a good rule of thumb that most here go by on a 480p pj is 2X screen width for seating distance. i actually sit about 1.5X and and am very happy. i like to feel a little more immersed in the image and live with a little sde.

bmrr, thanks for starting the IN72 Specific thread:

Based on the lower prices and all the positive buzz here, I just upgraded my SP4805 with the IN72 and am very pleased! I setup as per Cavu's recommendation, here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8949797
Projecting onto a 96" untreated Parkland screen from seats 11ft away, it's much better than the Movie houses. This size and distance really puts you in the film. Here's a pic from the IN72+Bravo D1. I'm amazed at the black level.

regards,
sgibson
post #6 of 2274 Old 12-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post

bmrr, thanks for starting the IN72 Specific thread:

Based on the lower prices and all the positive buzz here, I just upgraded my SP4805 with the IN72 and am very pleased! I setup as per Cavu's recommendation, here:
Projecting onto a 96" untreated Parkland screen from seats 11ft away, it's much better than the Movie houses. This size and distance really puts you in the film. Here's a pic from the IN72+Bravo D1. I'm amazed at the black level.

regards,
sgibson

Sorry ,pic didn't take on above post. My digital camera doesn't do the actual screen image justice...it's that much better!
BTW, Video is thru Bravo DVI to Monoprice HDMI switch.
LL
post #7 of 2274 Old 12-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrr View Post

Hey All,

With the IN7X series being out for a while, I feel it's time to diversify and specify! To get things going, I'm running an IN72, casting an 84" image (no screen, white wall) with an OPPO 971 and Comcast HD (see below for settings). Seating distance is at about 11'. This set-up has been up and running for about 2 weeks and has not disappointed, although tweaking is still in progress! Screen door is noticeable with light backgrounds and credits. Just wondering what set-up others are running? For questions, I've noticed that the "Natural Wide" does not stretch a 4:3 image to the 16:9 aspect ratio, is this correct? Are people using different projector settings (i.e., RGB gains) for DVI/HDMI settings versus component input?

Oppo settings:
DVI-MA1
Brightness: +5
Contrast: 0
Saturation: +1

Comcast HD: Component connection

Happy viewing,
bmrr

IMO, the best IN72+Bravo D1 combo thru DVI-HDMI image possible uses Cavu's settings:

BTW, Since the IN72 doesn't have a physical on/off switch how are IN72 users powering-down? I was using this remote power switch on my SP4805. It would cut the current completely off.
LL
post #8 of 2274 Old 12-01-2006, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

sandun:

I'm running the OPPO at 480p from the DVI, seems to work the best (component from the player doesn't look as good, then again it's only 480i). I run component cables from the cable box at 480p I and notice that there's a slight red shift in the color, but PQ seems to be dictated by the feed.

ACidiC74:

billymac's got some good advice there.

sgibson:

Glad to see some turnout here. Thanks for the link to CAVU's post. For powering down, I just shut off via the remote, no hard power off, like with the 4805.
post #9 of 2274 Old 12-02-2006, 06:41 AM

Good to see this thread; joining in as I just brought home an IN72 this week. It will be replacing my X1, which my friend has decided to take. Right now I'm waiting for ceiling mount to be shipped, so I've only tested a temporary table setup.

My current X1 setup is ceiling mount (Premier Mounts PBL-110) 13.5' throw to a DIY Parkland plastic 92" screen. I don't want to change the mount location or the screen, so this was a definite factor in deciding on the IN72 (and the low cost). Most all other DLPs have shorter throws. I have ordered Premier Mounts PBL-UMS, hoping the UMS universal adapter should mate with my current ceiling bracket - should not need to disturb the ceiling attachment that way. My friend will take the new ceiling bracket and my old X1 adapter plate and will be in business.

Plan to feed the IN72 with my current DVD Zenith DVB318 upconverting 1080i via component. Anyone have experience with IN72 this way? This has been a great combination with the X1.

Observations/questions from my quick test:
1) I have firmware v2.6. Does this suggest my board still has the 1A fuse? Any need to upgrade to v2.8?
2) Noticed a faint, round light spot above and outside of the image area, only noticeable with dark image. Could it be a dust blob? I assume when inverted for ceiling mount it will be below the image, but did not try this yet. Anyone have something similar? I will evaluate this after ceiling mounting to decide if I should return it - hopefully next weekend's project. Will post an update then.

Compared to X1 this baby is bright but also generates a lot more heat!

Steve
post #10 of 2274 Old 12-02-2006, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Steve R H,

Welcome to the club! Best bet would be to call customer service about the fuse. I'd caution that this could be an exercise in patience, it took two calls and over 40 minutes of being on hold, to be told I have the 1 amp fuse... Mine shipped with v2.7. I too have the faint round light spot. It is just below the lower left part of the screen (I'm ceiling mounted and the spot inverted when changing from the table setup). Prior to your post I was assuming a dust blob, but now I'm intrigued by the coincidence. I don't have experience with 1080i, we'd be interested to know your impressions. Also, I'm curious to hear about the PQ with the Parkland, once you ceiling mount.

cheers!
post #11 of 2274 Old 12-02-2006, 08:02 PM

Well I bought one acouple of days ago... and so far I think it was a good buy.
I owned a sony crt projector for the last 3 years, I love the sony but it's limited on inputs. Plus getting tired of the monthly tweaking of convergence.
I have a 100" DIY screen with blackout cloth.
I was using the component for dish hd and the picture is really good. I have DVI out on the dish hd so I tried my dvi to hdmi cable out 1080i ... Wow its even better. HD looks great, very bright vivid colors.
So for now I have my old dvd player hooked up with component in. It looks ok but not as good as the sony crt did. I just got done ordering a D1 dvd player off of newegg and the dvi/m1 to hdmi cable from monoprice hoping to inprove on the dvd's.

Not sure about the fuse but I do have ver.2.2... is there away to upgrade the firmware?
Hope to here good things and good tweaks for the in72 here
Brian
post #12 of 2274 Old 12-03-2006, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post

IMO, the best IN72+Bravo D1 combo thru DVI-HDMI image possible uses Cavu's settings:

BTW, Since the IN72 doesn't have a physical on/off switch how are IN72 users powering-down? I was using this remote power switch on my SP4805. It would cut the current completely off.

thats to expensive Go to Radio Shack And grab this RF remote ( ir sucks )

Model: 61-2416
Under $10 bucks
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2036303

dam i'm a cheap bastard

I wonder if i can tech my Pioner Reciver remote (TX14 ) TO learn the RF code .

A little help please.
post #13 of 2274 Old 12-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyAgain View Post

thats to expensive Go to Radio Shack And grab this RF remote ( ir sucks )

Model: 61-2416
Under $10 bucks
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2036303

dam i'm a cheap bastard

I wonder if i can tech my Pioner Reciver remote (TX14 ) TO learn the RF code .

A little help please.

Dammit Murph,
You beat me by $5 bucks!
Santa came early and left a ups package at my front door. Opened it up and lo and behold...it was a Harmony 880 remote. Now all I do is press one key and it turns on IN72 and selects the input, AV Receiver...selects the right audio input, selects the Monoprice HDMI 5X1 switch, and selects Bravo D1, Directv HR20-700, or Xbox 360+HD-DVD. Perfect gizmo for the couch potato...but it ain't cheap. I'll bet it could learn any remote code out there.

regards,
sgibson
post #14 of 2274 Old 12-03-2006, 12:06 PM

Hey guys i'm new to all this projector stuff so bare with me. I have a question about the in72. I was looking to buy it but can't see where it says it is HD. I thought I read the resolution was 800x600 if this is the case how are you guys getting HD on it.
thanks
post #15 of 2274 Old 12-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawsy View Post

Hey guys i'm new to all this projector stuff so bare with me. I have a question about the in72. I was looking to buy it but can't see where it says it is HD. I thought I read the resolution was 800x600 if this is the case how are you guys getting HD on it.
thanks

The IN72 native rez is 854x480p, but this explains how it can display higher rez, straight from the horse's mouth:

http://store.infocus.com/escalate/st...ewToProjection

"There are several factors you'll need to consider when choosing a home projector including video resolution, projected image size, your budget, and what devices you want to connect to your projector:

Video Resolution

Video resolution is measured in lines - for example, standard TV signals are made up of 480 lines of resolution while HDTV signals contain either 720 or 1080 lines of resolution.

If you will use your projector mostly for gaming or watching DVD's, a 480p projector such as the InFocus Play Big IN72 will be more than satisfactory for your needs. However, if you have HDTV or plan on investing in the new HD DVD formats soon to be released, you may want to look at a 720p projector such as the InFocus Play Big IN76.

All of our Play Big projectors have advanced video scaling technology that allow various input signals to be output in the projector's native resolution. For example, you can run 1080i HD content into a projector with 480p native resolution, and it will look great. Likewise, you can do the opposite and run 480p signals into a native 720p projector and the projector will scale that image to look best with the projector. "

Bottom line: The Infocus scaler does a fine job at displaying both 480P and Hi-Def 720P,1080i.

hope this helped.
post #16 of 2274 Old 12-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

What's the issue with the 1A fuse? Can I change it if I end up buying one with the 1A fuse? Thanks in advance.
post #17 of 2274 Old 12-03-2006, 07:36 PM

yeah that did help, I thought the projector could only do that resolution. I guess its kinda like a computer monitor, where the native is the best, but you can use other resolutions that will still look good. I just thought it was like a tv where it only has certain resolutions that will work. Basically it just upscales everything.
post #18 of 2274 Old 12-03-2006, 09:53 PM

Liked: 13
I'm looking to order an IN72 in the next few days, any better price than Tiger Direct for $499? I can do a 17' throw for about a 110" screen. Merry Xmas to me !
post #19 of 2274 Old 12-04-2006, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have an important question about the In72 seeing as I'm convinced to get one now. Will it display/accept HDCP content. My cable provider says that it must in order to display it otherwise I have to use component. I want to use HDMI for all my components (DVD/VCR combo and STB running through the HDMI in my amp. Any help?

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #20 of 2274 Old 12-04-2006, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
any better price than Tiger Direct for $499?

your kiding Right ?
post #21 of 2274 Old 12-04-2006, 05:14 AM

Thanks everyone. You kind of eased my mind about the projector at my distance/desired screen size. but my wife and I decided to risk missing out on the current great prices, wait until after the holidays, and reevaluate everything before we finally decide on which projector to get.
post #22 of 2274 Old 12-04-2006, 05:39 AM

Hey all, Pretty much new to AVS Forum and definitely new to the IN72. I have a mounting location question.

The projectorcentral calculator states that the IN72 should be 16'3" away for a 106" screen. However, the contractors for my house put the power box/conncection box a little closer. If I mount the projector at 15'10", will this be a problem?

Thanks in advance.
post #23 of 2274 Old 12-04-2006, 06:29 AM

j_oak, that should be OK assuming your screen is 106" diagonal. According to the Infocus screen calculator for IN72, the range for that size is 13.55 ft to 16.32 ft. Remember that's measured from lens to screen. You can verify at Infocus website under support/resources. Good luck!

Steve
post #24 of 2274 Old 12-04-2006, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_oak View Post

Hey all, Pretty much new to AVS Forum and definitely new to the IN72. I have a mounting location question.

The projectorcentral calculator states that the IN72 should be 16'3" away for a 106" screen. However, the contractors for my house put the power box/conncection box a little closer. If I mount the projector at 15'10", will this be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Not a problem, just mount it and use zoom to fill the screen. Shouldn't take much, it's only inches.
post #25 of 2274 Old 12-04-2006, 06:36 AM

Thx guys, I appreciate the quick response!! I'm sure I'll have more newbie IN72 questions.

Thx again!!
post #26 of 2274 Old 12-04-2006, 06:45 AM

I'm looking at this projector too, and have some questions

1. Since this does 480p, with a dvd player the picture is at its most optimal viewing resolution right? I mean a 720p projector would look no better, I think.

2. Using an HD tuner outputing at either 1080i or 480p would the image on the IN 72 look better or as good as dvd? Does anyone have any real world input. The projector central review states that HD fed into this projector looks no better than std def broadcasts. Does that mean it looks as crappy as std cable and worse than a Dvd played at 480p?

Can someone post a screen shot with HD content?

3. And lastly anyone think that the IN76 will take a big drop in price to compete with the Mitsu 1000U and Optoma HD70? I mean maybe it will, and the prices across the board will fall again.

There is a spread of about $500. now, with the rebate against the price of the mitsu and optoma. Does this make anyone pull the trigger for the In72 being 480p vs 720p for the other two.

Thanks

Angelo
post #27 of 2274 Old 12-05-2006, 07:04 PM

What ceiling mounts did you guys use for your IN72?

I tried to use the vantage point CGUPM06-S , but universal doesn't apply to the IN72.

http://www.vanptc.com/projector/large_proj_6.jpg

post #28 of 2274 Old 12-05-2006, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo M View Post

I'm looking at this projector too, and have some questions

1. Since this does 480p, with a dvd player the picture is at its most optimal viewing resolution right? I mean a 720p projector would look no better, I think.

2. Using an HD tuner outputing at either 1080i or 480p would the image on the IN 72 look better or as good as dvd? Does anyone have any real world input. The projector central review states that HD fed into this projector looks no better than std def broadcasts. Does that mean it looks as crappy as std cable and worse than a Dvd played at 480p?

Can someone post a screen shot with HD content?

3. And lastly anyone think that the IN76 will take a big drop in price to compete with the Mitsu 1000U and Optoma HD70? I mean maybe it will, and the prices across the board will fall again.

There is a spread of about $500. now, with the rebate against the price of the mitsu and optoma. Does this make anyone pull the trigger for the In72 being 480p vs 720p for the other two.

Thanks

the in72 will scale 1080i and 720p hd material very well. yes it will look better than dvd.

the best mate for dvd's with the in72 is the bravo d1. it's available at newegg for $35+shipping. you'll have to bust out the soldering iron though as there is a known issue with one of the capacitors though. once modified it produces a perfect pixel mapped 1:1 image over dvi on the in72 at 48Hz and the picture is as good as dvd gets. some hardcore htpc'ers will argue their pictures are better, but only one's who have pretty beefy systems and whom have spent countless hours reading and tweaking. go find the enormous 4805/bravo d1 thread to find out all the details.

if you're getting started, there's really no better value atm. the in72 is gorgeous out of the box and requires little if any calibration for a beautiful image.

good luck!

post #29 of 2274 Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_oak View Post

What ceiling mounts did you guys use for your IN72?

I tried to use the vantage point CGUPM06-S , but universal doesn't apply to the IN72.

http://www.vanptc.com/projector/large_proj_6.jpg

premier mounts. their universal with spider legs. you'll never have to buy another mount again--even when you upgrade.

this is the one i bought
http://www.premiermounts.com/product.asp?partID=1104

the channel extension comes out if you don't need it to get closer to the ceiling.

good luck

post #30 of 2274 Old 12-06-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post

premier mounts. their universal with spider legs. you'll never have to buy another mount again--even when you upgrade.

this is the one i bought
http://www.premiermounts.com/product.asp?partID=1104

the channel extension comes out if you don't need it to get closer to the ceiling.

good luck

billymac,

Do the screws that attach to the projector fit, or did you have to buy smaller ones? It looks like the screws in the picture are two big to fit in the holes on the bottom of the IN72?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus Sp Lamp 025 Projector Lamp For In72 In74 In76

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page