HD70 Tweakers Thread. - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2474 Old 10-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Tooling around Radioshack I came across this cool idea.

Photo2

Photo3

Photo4

Photo5

nice little Right Angle IEC Plug from RS

V.X.Donique

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2474 Old 10-30-2006, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwade View Post

I got my new projector (HD70) and it looked like this when hooking it up. Can I do something about it or do I have to return it. Rather not return it, long shipping, costly and time consuming...

Can someone please help me, Tom or someone with good Optoma knowleadge.

Thanks..

Yeah I had that on my NEC HT1000. The shadowing is a DMD/light chamber problem. I hope you can do a quick swap rather than slower repair.
Good luck, it's worth it, it really is a unique projector. I use mine all day as a giant TV. Plasma TV

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #543 of 2474 Old 10-30-2006, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Well bought the Projector today the picture & blacks are great but noticed right away the SDE, this screen door I have never Experience with my Panny AE500, was far away as 10' and could still noticed it. Do not know if it can be corrected but will give it a shot.

So finally have Experience what some threads are talking about as far as the SDE, and in my thoughts it will affect the PQ.

Ralph
post #544 of 2474 Old 10-30-2006, 09:42 PM

Liked: 10
This is the first time I've heard anyone complain about SDE on the HD70. I can't see it unless I walk up to the screen.
post #545 of 2474 Old 10-30-2006, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I was hooked up with my HDMI and the Oppo player, I still can't believe it either?? and I don't think that anything besides returning the projector back and getting another make,

Ralph
post #546 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Well bought the Projector today the picture & blacks are great but noticed right away the SDE, this screen door I have never Experience with my Panny AE500, was far away as 10' and could still noticed it. Do not know if it can be corrected but will give it a shot.

You've got to be kidding.

Throwing a 110" diagonal picture the pixels on my screen are like...1mm each. From 3 feet away I have to stare at a solid color to even hope to make them out...from 1 foot away I can see them, beyond 3 or 4 feet I cannot. DLP's are generally better than LCD's in this regard, too.

Are you sure the efffect you are seeing is screendoor and not something else entirely?

I can't see the individual pixels from 3 feet away unless I squint and look really hard. From 10' away, what are you throwing a 300" Diagonal Image?

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #547 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Throwing a 110" diagonal picture the pixels on my screen are like...1mm each. From 3 feet away I have to stare at a solid color to even hope to make them out...from 1 foot away I can see them, beyond 3 or 4 feet I cannot. DLP's are generally better than LCD's in this regard, too.

Are you sure the efffect you are seeing is screendoor and not something else entirely?

I can't see the individual pixels from 3 feet away unless I squint and look really hard. From 10' away, what are you throwing a 300" Diagonal Image?

agreed.....

Ain't nobody so bad that the Lord can't save them
Ain't nobody so good that they don't need Gods love
-Rich Mullins-
post #548 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wished that I was wrong, but can see the SDE 2-3' away just like my front door screen and from far away what I see is like a grainy picture and the closer I get it shows as the SDE.

My screen is a Carada 100" diag. and I am seating about 15' away the projector is currently placed on a table since my Panny is on the ceiling mount and that projector is about 12' away from the screen and have never seen a SDE with the Panny.

Will retry to calibrate and tweak it to see if it gets better. Surprised that reviews don't mention the SDE???

Ralph
post #549 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 10:21 AM

The reviews don't mention screendoor, I guess, because you're the only one who can see it. No one has agreed with you about this.
post #550 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wished that I was wrong, but can see the SDE 2-3' away just like my front door screen and from far away what I see is like a grainy picture and the closer I get it shows as the SDE.

My screen is a Carada 100" diag. and I am seating about 15' away the projector is currently placed on a table since my Panny is on the ceiling mount and that projector is about 12' away from the screen and have never seen a SDE with the Panny.

Will retry to calibrate and tweak it to see if it gets better. Surprised that reviews don't mention the SDE???

From 2-3' away I can believe that you're seeing SDE, but from 12' away - wow, you must have some killer vision. Are you sure you're not seeing film grain?
post #551 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Try to defocus a bit and you'd have simulated "smoothvision"

Huey ;-]
post #552 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Throwing a 110" diagonal picture the pixels on my screen are like...1mm each.

Sorry! That would be (96/1280) 0.075" or 1.9mm - twice the size you suggested!

The acuity of the human eye is such that it can detect elements as small as 1-second wide. You should be able to see the individual pixels of a 1080p image on a 110" screen from 14.4 feet!

If you can't see the 2.25 times larger pixels of a 720p image on 110" screen from 30% closer (10 feet), you should get your vision checked or focus your projector.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #553 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Surfer View Post

The reviews don't mention screendoor, I guess, because you're the only one who can see it. No one has agreed with you about this.

Well I must be nuts, but I do know what the screen shows.

The movie that had on was Seabiscut, it has excellent film. and on my panny no problem. Have to tweak, tweak the projector.

Ralph
post #554 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

The acuity of the human eye is such that it can detect elements as small as 1-second wide. You should be able to see the individual pixels of a 1080p image on a 110" screen from 14.4 feet!

If you can't see the 2.25 times larger pixels of a 720p image on 110" screen from 30% closer (10 feet), you should get your vision checked or focus your projector.

I hope you aren't saying that being able to see individual pixels is akin to being able to notice SDE. Please show me where and how someone will see SDE with a 1080p image on a 110" screen from 14.4ft, I really would like to witness this.

As for the HD70, I have no idea how you see SDE from where you are sitting frankly because it isn't noticeable unless very close, it's really that simple.
post #555 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:

So finally have Experience what some threads are talking about as far as the SDE, and in my thoughts it will affect the PQ.

That's impossible unless you have a defective unit or poor source...what source and connection are you using? Do you have an HD feed? On my 100" scrren, it is IMPOSSIBLE to see SDE beyond 8 ft.
post #556 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneylim View Post

That's impossible unless you have a defective unit or poor source...what source and connection are you using? Do you have an HD feed? On my 100" scrren, it is IMPOSSIBLE to see SDE beyond 8 ft.

My source Oppo dvd player with HDMI connection. So what you are saying is that you also have SDE but cannot see it beyond 8'? yet someone posted that no one has had problem as far as SDE on the HD70, go figure.

Ralph
post #557 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:

You should be able to see the individual pixels of a 1080p image on a 110" screen from 14.4 feet!

Which you might with great eyesight but you would not be able to detect the black inter pixel lines which make up screen door which is the point HeadRusch was trying to make.
post #558 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post

Which you might with great eyesight but you would not be able to detect the black inter pixel lines which make up screen door which is the point HeadRusch was trying to make.

Don't have that great of a eyesight, and I'm in agreement with you as far as not to be able to to detect the black inter pixels lines.

Realized what my problem is, last night was having a few brewski's and might have one to many when tweaking the system, he, he. just joking or perhaps should try that approach and see what happens.

Ralph
post #559 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:

Realized what my problem is, last night was having a few brewski's and might have one to many when tweaking the system, he, he.

I always find that a few beers helps the picture a great deal
post #560 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:

My source Oppo dvd player with HDMI connection. So what you are saying is that you also have SDE but cannot see it beyond 8'? yet someone posted that no one has had problem as far as SDE on the HD70, go figure.

All dlp are going to have sde if you get close enough, but at any normal viewing distance you should not notice it. Try the HD70 with a HD feed, and you won't have any problem up to 6' maybe 5' with your 100" screen.
post #561 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Try the HD70 with a HD feed

What "feed" he is using has no bearing whatsoever on SDE!

The accepted minimum viewing distance recommendations for 720p projectors is 1.33 x the screen width. For a 100" screen, the recommended minimum viewing distance is 9.6ft, not 5-6ft !

This distance generally eliminates SDE for most viewers.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #562 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Don't have that great of a eyesight, and I'm in agreement with you as far as not to be able to to detect the black inter pixels lines.

Realized what my problem is, last night was having a few brewski's and might have one to many when tweaking the system, he, he. just joking or perhaps should try that approach and see what happens.

Um I always thought that those lines are what tricked you'r eyes into seeing a larger looking grid of lines like an optical illusion kinda like wathing a wheel spinning real fast and the spokes creating an illusion that the spokes are turning much slower....either that or just seeing the black between the pixels themselves making up a screen door effect. so if you can't see these than what kind or screen are you seeing....are you sure it not the image source of something...I just can't see where your comming from on this one...grainyness in the picture is not SDE.
EDIT Didn't read for enough ahead to see that beer played a role in impressions
post #563 of 2474 Old 10-31-2006, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The accepted minimum viewing distance recommendations for 720p projectors is 1.33 x the screen width. For a 100" screen, the recommended minimum viewing distance is 9.6ft, not 5-6ft !

This distance generally eliminates SDE for most viewers. End Quote

Ya like superman himself....
post #564 of 2474 Old 11-01-2006, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Its a generalization.

Anyhow, as Cavu has decreed they are almost 2mm wide, double my estimate.
And I still can't see them and can't image anyone seeing them from that distance,
of course everyones eyes are not equal. I dont have Navy Fighter Pilot eyes so maybe its possible, I still find it surprising.

Quote:

Manners, Cavu, Manners. We all know you don't have any, but you can stop reminding us with every post you make.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #565 of 2474 Old 11-01-2006, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

This distance generally eliminates SDE for most viewers. End Quote

Ya like superman himself....

I'm just inferring that sde is very difficult to see unless you get right up on the screen , I'm not recommending sitting at 5-6 ft.
post #566 of 2474 Old 11-01-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:

What "feed" he is using has no bearing whatsoever on SDE!

This distance generally eliminates SDE for most viewers.

I know that, but if he is using a grainy source, by using an hd feed he will realize he is not seeing sde. And again, not recommending 5-6' viewing distance!
post #567 of 2474 Old 11-01-2006, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genro View Post

I hope you aren't saying that being able to see individual pixels is akin to being able to notice SDE. Please show me where and how someone will see SDE with a 1080p image on a 110" screen from 14.4ft, I really would like to witness this.

As for the HD70, I have no idea how you see SDE from where you are sitting frankly because it isn't noticeable unless very close, it's really that simple.

With binoculars!
post #568 of 2474 Old 11-01-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:

With binoculars!

Nah, my eye sight is so bad i use a telescope .
post #569 of 2474 Old 11-01-2006, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm just inferring that sde is very difficult to see unless you get right up on the screen , I'm not recommending sitting at 5-6 ft.

did you miss the sarcastic remark i posted under the quote? I was agreeing with you
post #570 of 2474 Old 11-01-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

did you miss the sarcastic remark i posted under the quote? I was agreeing with you

Oops...sorry.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page