Post Sanyo PLV-Z5 Review Links! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 10-22-2006, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages_b/plvz5.html (new)
-
http://www.projectorcentral.com/sanyo_plv-z5.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-22-2006, 09:18 AM

I've read both reviews. The pc review is mostly fluff the other review appearing more factual. Still debating on either the Z5 or possibly the Mit HC3000. Both are formidable projectors selling at similar price points. Any opinion?
post #3 of 24 Old 10-23-2006, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Here is the link to Projector Reviews (Art = presenter) review of the HC3000: http://www.projectorreviews.com/Manu...3000/index.asp. He is in the process of reviewing the Z5, so we will have to wait, a week or so, for that one. Art gives a more thorough review than PJC does.

The HC3000 seems to be more expensive (street prices) than the Z5 (unless AVS Sales can give us a better price). The problem, for me, is the short zoom range (1.2:1) and fixed offset (about 30%) which just won't work in my HT/LR. Even though the HC3000 throws an apparently excellent picture, I can't use it (it would have to go on a 16" high shelf and would have to project through the middle of my couch, unless I completely redo the LR furniture). With the 2:1 zoom and wide offset adjustment of the Z5, I can put it virtually anywhere in my room (including my favorite spot on the shelf behind my couch) from my preferred shelf to the back wall (10' further back and 4' higher).

The Z5's waranty is 3 years vs. 2 years for the HC3000, if that makes a difference.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #4 of 24 Old 10-23-2006, 11:11 PM

Here is german cine4home:
http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projek.../Z5Preview.htm

NOTE: it is a preproduction model!
Use babelfish or something to translate.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-25-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

Here is the link to Projector Reviews (Art = presenter) review of the HC3000: http://www.projectorreviews.com/Manu...3000/index.asp. He is in the process of reviewing the Z5, so we will have to wait, a week or so, for that one. Art gives a more thorough review than PJC does.

The HC3000 seems to be more expensive (street prices) than the Z5 (unless AVS Sales can give us a better price). The problem, for me, is the short zoom range (1.2:1) and fixed offset (about 30%) which just won't work in my HT/LR. Even though the HC3000 throws an apparently excellent picture, I can't use it (it would have to go on a 16" high shelf and would have to project through the middle of my couch, unless I completely redo the LR furniture). With the 2:1 zoom and wide offset adjustment of the Z5, I can put it virtually anywhere in my room (including my favorite spot on the shelf behind my couch) from my preferred shelf to the back wall (10' further back and 4' higher).

The Z5's waranty is 3 years vs. 2 years for the HC3000, if that makes a difference.

I was all set with selecting either the HC3000U or HD1000U until "we" decided not to spent extra bucks for a ceiling mount/installation. Now, I am back at square one and deciding between the Z4, Z5 or Epson 400. My budget $1,500 or less any other suggestions?

The Student
post #6 of 24 Old 10-25-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student of A/V View Post

I was all set with selecting either the HC3000U or HD1000U until "we" decided not to spent extra bucks for a ceiling mount/installation. Now, I am back at square one and deciding between the Z4, Z5 or Epson 400. My budget $1,500 or less any other suggestions?

I am choosing between these projectors too. I think they are best values in lcd projectors right now. Having said that, I think Sanyo offers the best bang-for-the-buck with the longest warranty in the business. Now I am just waiting for the BF discount from the retailers before buying.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-25-2006, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I went for the Z4 + free lamp, which I got for $600 less than the new Z5. I'm sure the Z5 would be an improvement, but I must say that the Z4 has more than met up to my expectations. Absolutely stellar, spectacular image, much more vivid, punchy and sharp than my old Z2. Difference was truly night and day.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-25-2006, 10:47 AM

I am very tempted to order a Z5 to replace my perfectly functioning Z2 (3 years old, 2500 hrs on original bulb, spare bulb on hand).

In a way it seems wasteful, but it is tempting with the rebate offer to "retire" my Z2.

But, a louder fan, as reported in the reviews, certainly seems a step backwards.

I wonder how much of an improvement the PQ would be over my Z2?

Terry Danks
Nature & Wildlife Photography
http://danks.netfirms.com/home.htm
post #9 of 24 Old 10-25-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawziecat View Post

I am very tempted to order a Z5 to replace my perfectly functioning Z2 (3 years old, 2500 hrs on original bulb, spare bulb on hand).

In a way it seems wasteful, but it is tempting with the rebate offer to "retire" my Z2.

But, a louder fan, as reported in the reviews, certainly seems a step backwards.

I wonder how much of an improvement the PQ would be over my Z2?

As I said earlier, I have owned a Z2 for two years, and just got a Z4. The difference in PQ was astounding. Two totally different worlds.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-25-2006, 11:41 AM

My very modest semi-educated option never owning a projector before is to go with the Z5. Possibly with a Toshiba A2 and a Da-Lite 106" High Power. This is an expensive toy but besides the laser projectors coming out next year. Which will possibly revolutionized FP. This is a great combination.
post #11 of 24 Old 10-25-2006, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawziecat View Post

The fan in the Z5 won't be louder, one review mentioned the fan was at a fixed speed but due to a fault. The cine4home preview confirmed a quiet fan. Have you seen other reports of the fan being louder?
post #12 of 24 Old 10-26-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
the specs I saw for the Z-5 list the fan noise at 22 db but it specifically mentions this is not with a ceiling mount which implies the figure will differ with a ceiling mouint. Ofcourse the specs didn't list the db with a ceiling mount which is sneaky...
post #13 of 24 Old 10-26-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

the specs I saw for the Z-5 list the fan noise at 22 db but it specifically mentions this is not with a ceiling mount which implies the figure will differ with a ceiling mouint. Ofcourse the specs didn't list the db with a ceiling mount which is sneaky...

I have had both the panny 100 and the z5 here at home ceiling mounted and the z5 is NO louder than the panny 100. Dont worry at all about the sound of the fan! Its fine and I had loud fans! Ive decided to keep the Z5 over the 100 as I like my blacks! The panny 100 just doesnt deliver the blacks like the Z5 does.
post #14 of 24 Old 11-03-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post

I have had both the panny 100 and the z5 here at home ceiling mounted and the z5 is NO louder than the panny 100. Dont worry at all about the sound of the fan! Its fine and I had loud fans! Ive decided to keep the Z5 over the 100 as I like my blacks! The panny 100 just doesnt deliver the blacks like the Z5 does.

Any farther performance comparison between the two? PQ, vid. noice, SD performance, etc. Please share. Thanks!
post #15 of 24 Old 11-03-2006, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post

ANy issues with SDE with the z5? I'm concerned about SDE at 11 feet from a 118 inch screen. What do you see?
post #16 of 24 Old 11-03-2006, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
That depends on how sensitive you are to SDE. According to Art's review (http://www.projectorreviews.com/Manu...LVZ5/index.asp), SDE could be visible at 1.3 x screen width, if you look for it (you're sitting at 1.28 x screen width). He recommends a maximum of 110" diagonal screen (if I read his review correctly) unless you have a high gain screen. It (the SDE on that size screen) wouldn't bother me, although sitting that close to a 118" screen would, just from a visual perspective standpoint. Also, depending on your screen gain, the Z5 may not be bright enough for you on that big a screen.

You should also read the following thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=736150.

NOTE: Art's review was just posted last night. It sounds like the Z5 fits my HT/LR use just fine. I have a 106" diagonal, Da-Lite High Power screen (gain = 2.8, for shelf mount, sitti), so I don't need (or want) a light canon like the AX100 (I can't afford any of the more expensive DLPs and the offsets of the under $2K ones won't work either, I'm sitting at 11' also). The other alternative, for me, is the Epson Cinema 400, but it's too bright too, and doesn't throw as good a picture (Art reviewed that one, and the AX100, too).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #17 of 24 Old 11-04-2006, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

Also, depending on your screen gain, the Z5 may not be bright enough for you on that big a screen.

Is this true even in a totally 100% light controlled room?

I thought in that case, screen size wouldn't matter as much.
post #18 of 24 Old 11-05-2006, 07:07 AM

One interesting thing from http://www.projectorreviews.com/Man...PLVZ5/index.asp), the scene from the fifth element.

Two pictures were taken, one with the iris on that gives superior black levels. If you look at the pictures you will see many more stars when the iris is turned off. So, you get darker levels with the iris at the expense of detail in the picture.
post #19 of 24 Old 11-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRI59 View Post

The fan in the Z5 won't be louder, one review mentioned the fan was at a fixed speed but due to a fault. The cine4home preview confirmed a quiet fan. Have you seen other reports of the fan being louder?

Possible the reviewer had the projector settings in "Highland" mode for operation at higher altitudes. The fan will run constantly at high speed regardless of the lamp power settings.

Ignore them, m'dear: They're beneath your dignity.
post #20 of 24 Old 11-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Is this true even in a totally 100% light controlled room?

I thought in that case, screen size wouldn't matter as much.

I have a Z5 ceiling mounted in a light controlled (total) HT projecting on a Carada BW 102" screen. I have the lamp set at low power, and with the preset luminance at "Creative Cinema" which outputs at around 180 lumens. The picture is awesome.

Unless you have badly controlled light, or a screen much larger than 102" I can see no possibility of running into a problem, even with a screen as large as 120"+. There is LOTS of headroom for installations in a light controlled environment.

post #21 of 24 Old 11-05-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningBengal View Post

I have a Z5 ceiling mounted in a light controlled (total) HT projecting on a Carada BW 102" screen. I have the lamp set at low power, and with the preset luminance at "Creative Cinema" which outputs at around 180 lumens. The picture is awesome.

That figures out to 8 foot-Lamberts. That seems awfully dim for a brand new projector.

Moe
post #22 of 24 Old 11-06-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J. View Post

One interesting thing from http://www.projectorreviews.com/Man...PLVZ5/index.asp), the scene from the fifth element.

Two pictures were taken, one with the iris on that gives superior black levels. If you look at the pictures you will see many more stars when the iris is turned off. So, you get darker levels with the iris at the expense of detail in the picture.

That's why you have to be careful when viewing screenshots -- it's too easy to forget about the role the camera is playing. In this case, what you're actually seeing is that the camera (given the exposure settings Art was using) simply couldn't capture the dimmer stars when the scene was as dark as it was supposed to be. They were there, the screenshot just doesn't show them because, well, the black levels were too good!

In other words, all the same shadow detail was there in both cases, it just wasn't apparent from the screenshot. Note, however, that it is possible for better black levels to result directly in reduced shadow detail in situations where one doesn't have good light control, simply because the detail will be easier for ambient light to wash out.

-spc
post #23 of 24 Old 11-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipplemeyer View Post

That figures out to 8 foot-Lamberts. That seems awfully dim for a brand new projector.

Moe

My error. You are correct. It is more like 400-450 lumens.

post #24 of 24 Old 04-04-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/sa...-z5-1029.shtml

Also reprinted on the Audiophile Audition site.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page