Optoma HD70 vs. Mits. HD1000 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 298 Old 12-20-2006, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's up with the warranty thing. Most credit cards offer a program to double the warranty, so the 1 year warranty on the Mitsubishi becomes two years. I have put several claims on my master card warranty, and got paid without any delay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 298 Old 12-21-2006, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Rachel, how does the credit card warranty work? Have you needed to use it with a projector repair?
post #273 of 298 Old 12-23-2006, 09:18 AM

I have not used it for a projector, but I have used it for several other items, including a digital camcorder. The mfg warranty is doubled, up to 1 year. You contact the customer service dept for your credit card, and ask for the phone number to put a claim for the extended warranty. Not all, but most credit cards offer this service. For Mastercard, the phone number is 1-800-mcassist. They will take some basic information over the phone and send you a claim form. Essentially, you send them a copy of the mfg warranty, sales receipt, and credit card statement showing that you paid for the item on the credit card, and a repair estimate. Depending on your credit card, some will send you a check for the amount of the repair cost, and some will send the check to the repair company. The procedures for Visa may differ than from MC. This involves a little work, but I think it is one of the "best secrets" of most credit cards. The claims are processed very fast, usually within a few days after you fax them the documents.
post #274 of 298 Old 12-24-2006, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

does the HD-70 have the same pea-soup green affliction of the HD1000u ????

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #275 of 298 Old 12-24-2006, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

does the HD-70 have the same pea-soup green affliction of the HD1000u ????

What pea-soup green affliction?? I've got an HD1000U and the thing looks great. Colors look very natural. I haven't calibrated it yet, but I am used to an AVIA calibrated image so I think I would notice any significant color shifts.

-Mike
post #276 of 298 Old 12-24-2006, 10:47 AM
TSO

Liked: 13
I agree - what pea soup?
I have the 1000, and its calibrated (easy job) and it looks great. Take a look at the pictures from Art's review at projectorreviews.com. The images he put up of the 1000's output look fabulous. In fact, you can cut and paste them side by side with others, and IMHO they look better. If anything, I would say that the reds need slight toning down to match up with NTSC standards.

Otherwise, the thing is VERY close right out of the box. Look at the screenshot comparison earlier in this thread.
post #277 of 298 Old 12-24-2006, 11:03 AM

No pea soup on my HD1000 .Maybe your cable is faulty.
post #278 of 298 Old 12-24-2006, 08:57 PM

May be a dumb question, but how do you get cable through the projector? I don't see a coaxial input on the back.
post #279 of 298 Old 12-24-2006, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

You don't want analog cable on a huge screen I guess might be able to do a reverse of the FM Modulator trick to get DVD players to work on old TVs, but not sure it works in reverse. You probably want digital cable or satellite (or HD!).
post #280 of 298 Old 12-25-2006, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekiel 4:12 View Post

May be a dumb question, but how do you get cable through the projector? I don't see a coaxial input on the back.

Coax from cable, ota, etc must go through some kind of tuner ie, cable box, sat box, vcr. From one of these tuners devices you can use , composit, svhs, component, dvi or hdmi out to the projector.

A projector is just a monitoring device with no tuner.
post #281 of 298 Old 12-25-2006, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
[quote=hmcewin]Coax from cable, ota, etc must go through some kind of tuner ie, cable box, sat box, vcr. From one of these tuners devices you can use , composit, svhs, component, dvi or hdmi out to the projector.

A projector is just a monitoring device with no tuner.[/QUOTE
does svhs mean svideo...? if so being he seemed new to this I thought I should clarify. if you have the options...hdmi or dvi from cable box is the best way..then component (red, blue, green rca's) then svideo ....the worse is the yellow composite which even the cheapest of vcr's and cable boxes have..
post #282 of 298 Old 12-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=augiedoggy]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcewin View Post

Coax from cable, ota, etc must go through some kind of tuner ie, cable box, sat box, vcr. From one of these tuners devices you can use , composit, svhs, component, dvi or hdmi out to the projector.

A projector is just a monitoring device with no tuner.[/QUOTE
does svhs mean svideo...? if so being he seemed new to this I thought I should clarify. if you have the options...hdmi or dvi from cable box is the best way..then component (red, blue, green rca's) then svideo ....the worse is the yellow composite which even the cheapest of vcr's and cable boxes have..

SVHS = svideo
post #283 of 298 Old 12-25-2006, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

"SVHS = svideo"

actually, this is a very often made mistake.....

s-video is an analog video conection that uses two paths, one for luminence (black&white video), one for chromanence (color information) and is normally associated with a 4 pin mini-din connector

SVHS is a recording format used on VHS tape which actually records the luminence and chrominence seperately.... it's one of the few uses for s-video where it will actually yield a superior picture over single path Composite.... most video devices which have an s-video output (such as cable set top boxes) fake it and simply supply the composite signal to the s-video's luminence path and high-pass couple (capacitive) the composite signal into the s-video's chrominance path.

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #284 of 298 Old 12-25-2006, 03:36 PM

I'm 19 and bought my first projector being the HD70 and I must say I was blown away. Going from a non hd 50 rptv to this is awesome. I'm positive that if anyone decides on ether of these for thier first projection experiance no one will be disipointed.
post #285 of 298 Old 12-25-2006, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

"SVHS = svideo"

actually, this is a very often made mistake.....

s-video is an analog video conection that uses two paths, one for luminence (black&white video), one for chromanence (color information) and is normally associated with a 4 pin mini-din connector

SVHS is a recording format used on VHS tape which actually records the luminence and chrominence seperately.... it's one of the few uses for s-video where it will actually yield a superior picture over single path Composite.... most video devices which have an s-video output (such as cable set top boxes) fake it and simply supply the composite signal to the s-video's luminence path and high-pass couple (capacitive) the composite signal into the s-video's chrominance path.

So just to clarify you're saying S-video makes little to no difference unless you're using a S-VHS deck (in comparison to composite)? I guess it's possible that I've had years of placebo effect improvements using S-Video for other purposes (DVD on older TVs, to a projector etc.).

Heh I think that might explain why when I used my new dish box here in India (only coax cable or composite out) I was impressed with how good the composite was, because it was exactly the same as my svideo I normally use
post #286 of 298 Old 12-26-2006, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 View Post

So just to clarify you're saying S-video makes little to no difference unless you're using a S-VHS deck (in comparison to composite)? I guess it's possible that I've had years of placebo effect improvements using S-Video for other purposes (DVD on older TVs, to a projector etc.).

Heh I think that might explain why when I used my new dish box here in India (only coax cable or composite out) I was impressed with how good the composite was, because it was exactly the same as my svideo I normally use

ya thats interesting to know....
post #287 of 298 Old 12-26-2006, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

"modern" PC Video cards also output true s-video but who would notice .... not too many s-video output users here

I had the same thought when I hooked up an alternate composite path to one of my widescreens and noticed no degradation over s-video

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #288 of 298 Old 12-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

I have two questions about HD70:

1. On the specs. of Mits. HD1000 it mentioned sealed optics, so no filter needs to be cleaned. Does this apply to HD70 as well, even no memtion on its specs? On HD70's manual I didn't see the filter anywhere. Are all dlp projectors filter free?
2. Both projectors have H and V shift on their control manual, which are very convenient for fine picture adjustmant. Can someone tell me what's the principal for this control? Does it affact picture quanlity (like keystone)? Are these fuctions also for dlp projectors only?
post #289 of 298 Old 12-27-2006, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

1) Yes. Both have sealed optics and more similar than dissimilar
2) This allows people to mask out the black bars on 2.35:1 films as you can put the image on top or bottom of your 16:9 panel. It also gives a little flexibility on mounting of PJ to allow more mounting error as image can be moved via software a little (no degradation in image quality). LCD can have this function and/or optical lens shift where image can be moved by redirecting the lens. LCD in general has more flexible mounting (easier to mount), but has other disadvantages like contrast, durability, convergence, dust blobs, dead pixels, vertical banding, etc.

Huey ;-]
post #290 of 298 Old 01-05-2007, 05:51 AM

Hi Folks,
anyone using a ISCO II lens with either the HD1000U or HD70?
I currently have the NEC LT150 with ISCO II and Firehawk 100" screen.
Please let me know if it is going work, ok?
Thanks,
Rodrigo
post #291 of 298 Old 01-08-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA View Post

No question about it. Those HD70 images lack calibration. Since all three show the notorious "green" push, it has to be the PJ.
The BIG benefit will be the extra lumens offered by the 1000. Art mentioned it even bested the Panny ax100 light cannon, which is paramount for members wanting a BIG screen...like me.

The reason for the "green" push is the the setting of Color Temp.
Setting 1 gives the green push and setting 2 gives a more natural color.
I have the HD70 and love it. Can't beat it for $999
post #292 of 298 Old 01-08-2007, 06:54 PM

[quote=gwlaw99]Did you look at the gandalph pictures? The HD70 has way more green push.

The reason for the "green" push is the the setting on Color Temp.
Curious what your Color Temp setting is at?
post #293 of 298 Old 01-08-2007, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I wonder why Optoma has not reduced the price of the HD70 to compete better with the HD1000?
post #294 of 298 Old 01-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I wonder why Optoma has not reduced the price of the HD70 to compete better with the HD1000?

I'm only guessing here, but I don't think they need to. The HD70 is everywhere (speaking in terms of B&M's). The Mits is much more difficult to find. Even if the HD70 is the lesser (by a small margin) in terms of overall quality, it's most likely selling more.
post #295 of 298 Old 01-08-2007, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=tomlaq]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Did you look at the gandalph pictures? The HD70 has way more green push.

The reason for the "green" push is the the setting on Color Temp.
Curious what your Color Temp setting is at?

that and the fact that the man who took that photo said he had his camera set up wrong for that photo and changed it after that....People just can't seem to let that picure go even though the guy who took it said the photo looked nothing like the image colorwise. it does seem to be true that color temp 1 in order to achieve a slightly punchier brighter picture has altered the color curve and it results in a slight green push and red faces ...at least it did on mine when I got it ....now that I used Art's settings for the starting point for my calibration the color issues a absolutly no more for me...I'm thrilled with the image. those who chose to use color temp 1 should not complain that the colors are off as thier is the atenative there. color temp 0 seems to result in a dimm lower contrast picture but is still better than 1 which ironically with the rest of the numbers being at factory default tricks you into thinking its the best. Just compare it to a properly calibrated moniter or tv. Thats what I did ...I have an sgi lcd monitor that cost thousands back in the day because of its percise colors and great contrast that was actually sold for graphics arts and photography use, and along with its proprietary video card and settings set to 6500Kcolor temp it looks closest by far to Art's settings with color temp 2 than Any of the others I've tried. I had to alter the red a touch to compinsate for the "perfect strawberry "walls in my livingroom but only a touch and thats it. BTW you'll notic his settings are actually a typo on the green and blue I believe...if you look at the photos he provided the two are reversed from what he stated.
post #296 of 298 Old 02-28-2008, 11:32 AM

Hey all.

I have an opportunity to purchase the HD70 for a ridiculously low price (under $600 delivered with a 16' HDMI cable). I'm currently running the Infocus 4805 (and love it). The major issue for me with the 4805 is shadow detail and, to a lesser extent, black levels. Would the HD70 improve upon these?

Also, I've recommended and installed several HC1000/1500's and I'm always impressed with them (with the exception of video noise...which is far worse than on my 4805). Would a properly calibrated HD70 look as good as a calibrated HC1500?

FYI - My room is a batcave so higher lumens aren't necessary. My 4805 in low lamp mode (600 lumens) looks just fine so I think the Optoma would have more than enough horsepower for my needs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
post #297 of 298 Old 03-11-2008, 04:37 PM

is there a thread on how to calibrate the hd70?
post #298 of 298 Old 03-11-2008, 04:50 PM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthegrill View Post

is there a thread on how to calibrate the hd70?

One of the stickies at the top of this forum.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page