HD1000U Ceiling Mount - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 129 Old 12-26-2006, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the link. Very helpful, but I have a few questions:

1) Am I reading that it has 4.1" for the height of the HD1000U?
2) What's the furthest left/bottom figure that it's posting?
3) I basically put in my ceiling height, the diagonal screen size, and the bottom of the screen height, right?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 129 Old 12-26-2006, 06:40 PM

1) Correct, the projector is 4.1" high
2) The bottom left position is the maximum distance from the screen to the projector lens. The farthest left position is the actual top of the projector to the floor
3)You're correct. I plugged in my numbers in this order:
-after selecting the HD1000 in the drop down box, I plugged in diagonal screen size-width and height were calculated
-I confirmed normal and 16:9 were selected and as well as "reverse" to put the projector on the ceiling
-I then plugged in ceiling height at the very top
-Finally, I plugged in my top of screen. You can plug in the bottom dimension, whichever is easier
post #93 of 129 Old 12-26-2006, 07:02 PM

Here's a pic of my settings:

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that on mine I could mount it from 124.5" to 150.8" from the screen and use the zoom to make it fit correctly. If that's true do I want to essentially place it in the middle so I have adjustment either way or are there advantages of having closer or farther away from the screen?

Chris
post #94 of 129 Old 12-27-2006, 08:46 AM

you're correct on the dimensions. (note the red "76.9" is the exact height to the middle of the lens. ).

I placed my HD1000 as far back from the screen as possible for two reasons: 1) I have a drop down screen that lowers itself from a soffet I built to hold the screen and I feared that by having the projector too close to the screen would prevent the light beam from the projector to clear the soffet edge and 2) there is some general feeling that the more conical the beam to the screen the brighter the image. That is, with the projector far from the screen the beam leaving the projector is more narrow so when it bounces off the screen it bounces at the audience more directly. If the projector is closer to the screen, the beam is wider and 'scatters' more of the picture to the surrounding walls. Not sure if any of this is true but it does seem to make sense.

All I know is that the first movie I watched on this Mits was a Christmas Carol with George C. Scott. The DVD is a horrible recording and last year on my older, and very well reviewed projector it was a mess. Dark, flat, bad screendoor and almost black and white in nature. This year, my wife looked at me and said "wow, what did you do to this picture?". Projector: $900. WAF (wife acceptance factor)= High:Priceless. I'll be posting a more thorough review later next week when I measure this thing...
post #95 of 129 Old 12-27-2006, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the info. I was talking with Mike Norton at Projector People yesterday when I ordered mine, and he was basically saying the same thing if I remember correctly. I've heard that mounting it closer makes it brighter, but because it's closer the angles are wider and the potential for pixelation is higher. He said mount it further back I think for the same reasons you're talking about, but leave a tad bit of focus in either direction to fine tune it. I'm so new to all this.

Chris
post #96 of 129 Old 12-27-2006, 10:28 AM

Okay - an obvious newbie question here but I have not seen it addressed in this thread so i will ask it....

I am installing this in my basement which has a "drop ceiling" - what is the best mount to use in this case? I am assuming I will need to remove a panel from the ceiling and then attach a mount to the joists and then hang a mount down thru the ceiling panel?
post #97 of 129 Old 12-27-2006, 11:51 AM

Correct. Earlier in this thread is a picture of someone's install that has a single pipe protruding through the ceiling. Very sharp.
post #98 of 129 Old 12-27-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post

Exactly what looks cheap with the $20 solution? I mean, I guess you could glue some goldleaf on to make it look expensive, but I'd rather not ;-)

LMAO@Bedazzled. "When is that sun ever going to set!?!?!?"
post #99 of 129 Old 12-27-2006, 07:06 PM

I have my mount built. It is a customized version of the monkey man mount. I have it so that I can adjust height, skew and angle. However, I will not be able to adjust left, right, forward or backward. I assume this is the same issue you have had as well.

So, I have my screen mounted. I have my projector on a mount. I can lift the projector, which is on the mount, to the ceiling and get a rough approximation to the screen. But, before I put any holes up there, I want it to be as close is humanly possible.

I know that I have some adjustment in height and skew. I want to set my holes in the ceiling once.

How did you guys determine the exact middle of your screen for the projector lens? Considering mine is about 15 feet away, I can only think of option, and I am not sure how well it will work. My thought process is something like this:

I have two small holes on the screen mount. I tie string to each hole and stretch it out to the mount location. If the strings are each the same length, I know I am in the middle of the screen. I may then need to adjust for the height of the lens, and mount. Does this sound reasonable?

Either that, or eyeball it.. I could hold the projector up and try to get it close to perfect on the screen and have someone mark the holes for the mount. But, I have tried stuff like that before and it is just error-prone. For me, anyway.

How did you determine the right mounting location for your mount?
post #100 of 129 Old 12-27-2006, 10:10 PM

For people who have your HD1000U ceiling mounted, can I ask what screen you are using? I can't afford the time so I won't consider DIY. I have pondered the 108" screen monoprice for a few days. Before I pull the trigger, I'd like to learn what other options I have, so I'd appreciate if you can provide the model and from where you purchased it. Besides, I don't really need a electric screen, but monoprice's price, as always is tempting. Reviews so far are good too.

Here I saw discussion that the monoprice screen works better than the graywolf II mainly because of viewing angle.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=767460
post #101 of 129 Old 12-28-2006, 07:47 AM

I had a question about the HD1000U. My room is 14x14, with a 7'10 ceiling height. Would I be able to fill a 108" screen with this room size and ceiling height? How far from the floor would the image start? That screen is a hard bargain to pass up. I'm horrible when it comes to figuring out these calculations. Thank you in advance.
post #102 of 129 Old 12-28-2006, 09:46 AM

I am looking for a light mount to hang a HD1000U...

I found this one on that auction site... item number: 220065600757

Anyone own it? looks cheap, but also is cheap, and very light. I will be hanging my projector from the ceiling that has 1/2 drywall (no joist to drill into) .... The universal mount I have right now weighs more then my 4805 projector, and get worried about all that weight above my head.

If that one is to silly, which is lighter of the other two affordable options.... NPL or PMS, neither say how much the mount itself weighs...

Thanks!

Dale Jacobs
post #103 of 129 Old 12-28-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeradin View Post

I am looking for a light mount to hang a HD1000U...

I found this one on that auction site... item number: 220065600757

Anyone own it? looks cheap, but also is cheap, and very light. I will be hanging my projector from the ceiling that has 1/2 drywall (no joist to drill into) .... The universal mount I have right now weighs more then my 4805 projector, and get worried about all that weight above my head.

If that one is to silly, which is lighter of the other two affordable options.... NPL or PMS, neither say how much the mount itself weighs...

Thanks!

Dale Jacobs

Wow, for that price, you might as well buy it and try it. If it isn't stable enough, throw it in the trash and try again.

On the other hand, I'm not comfortable hanging a projector from drywall, even with the anchors. It will probably work, and even if it does break loose, chances are the cables will save it from falling on the floor (not the HDMI cable, though).

I used the Mountdirect NPL mount to mount mine (earlier this week), using the 11" extension. I reinforced the ceiling by screwing some MDL into the ceiling joists above the drywall - easy to do in this case because it was easily accessed from the attic. The mount is heavy-duty, and solid as a rock - and heavy. Looks good too - I've got power, HDMI and component video cables all completely hidden in the pole. I'd highly recommend it.

-Reid
post #104 of 129 Old 12-28-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeradin View Post

To answer at least part of your question: for what its worth, the UPS shipping weight of the NPL mount was 6 pounds, including the 11" extension pipe, which probably accounted for at least half of the weight.

You ought to just call Mountdirect and ask. I called em, and I was under the distinct impression that the person who answered the phone was the CEO, chief engineer, sales force, support, and marketing team all-in-one. Good guy.

BTW, I got it slightly cheaper by ordering directly from mountdirect, rather than the ebay route. I think it worked out that shipping was cheaper.

-Reid
post #105 of 129 Old 12-28-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baum Threat View Post

Okay - an obvious newbie question here but I have not seen it addressed in this thread so i will ask it....

I am installing this in my basement which has a "drop ceiling" - what is the best mount to use in this case? I am assuming I will need to remove a panel from the ceiling and then attach a mount to the joists and then hang a mount down thru the ceiling panel?

For my drop ceiling i cut a 2 foot square peice of 3/4 inch plywood and put it above the ceiling tile. I then traced the mount base on the tile and cut it away so the thing screws directly into the wood. The wood is supported by the metal frame of the drop ceiling and is not going anywhere.
post #106 of 129 Old 12-28-2006, 12:30 PM

Ideally how should the screen be positioned? I have a 4x8 screen that will be cut to 48x85 and was curious, mainly, with the heighth of the screen mounting. I guess it's all with what you're comfortable with, but i'm sure there is some sort of standard positioning.
post #107 of 129 Old 12-28-2006, 01:56 PM

TMCQuitty, if your question is about positioning the projector in the dead center of the screen, yes, I did what you did but used two tape measures. That gave me dead square to the screen. I hung a string from the ceiling at the distance away from the screen I wanted and approximated its center. When I pulled the two tape measures I was off by 3/4" to the right which was easy to adjust on the ceiling in relation to the string.
post #108 of 129 Old 12-28-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekiel 4:12 View Post

Ideally how should the screen be positioned? I have a 4x8 screen that will be cut to 48x85 and was curious, mainly, with the heighth of the screen mounting. I guess it's all with what you're comfortable with, but i'm sure there is some sort of standard positioning.

The general rule of thumb is to strive for having your eye level when seated in your viewing position 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the screen. This projector has a pretty steep offset angle so if you have low ceilings or want a big (110"+) screen, this could affect where you can put the screen.

Cheers!
post #109 of 129 Old 12-29-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDayFall75 View Post

LMAO@Bedazzled. "When is that sun ever going to set!?!?!?"

Thankyou!! For days I have been trying to figure out which movie that was on his screen. Now I can sleep
post #110 of 129 Old 12-29-2006, 02:16 PM

Has anyone found a compatible wall mount for the projector?

I'm currently looking a using this mount with some dry wall anchors:
Link

Does anyone forsee any problems I might have with this mount or have other recommendations?
post #111 of 129 Old 12-29-2006, 02:40 PM

I've been using my home-made mount which is pretty much 100% identical to monkey mans except I used a sheet of brush aluminum instead of acrylic and its been great. I have looked into a different mounting system but this one is easily adjusted, rock solid and hey its dirt cheap!
post #112 of 129 Old 01-11-2007, 09:41 AM

I want to put my projector on a shelf in the back of the room about 9ft high .. so I'll need to put the projector up side down on that shelf. How is the best way to do that? is there a special shelf I can buy that would have an opening to access the control on the projector from under or this is a custom job ?

I have Cathedral ceiling with no access from the ceiling to run cables, that is why I'm looking at a high shelf mount in the back.

Also, as for the power, do you guys install an AC outlet by the projector on the ceiling and plug it in or is there another solution? I would like to plug the projector to a Power Center like Monster HTS 3600 located in my cabinet .. how can I do that .. running an extension from the projector does look like a good solution,

as you can see I'm having lots of question on how to mount my projector and any help would be appreciated,

Thanks
post #113 of 129 Old 01-11-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pay-pay View Post

I want to put my projector on a shelf in the back of the room about 9ft high .. so I'll need to put the projector up side down on that shelf. How is the best way to do that? is there a special shelf I can buy that would have an opening to access the control on the projector from under or this is a custom job ?

I have Cathedral ceiling with no access from the ceiling to run cables, that is why I'm looking at a high shelf mount in the back.

Also, as for the power, do you guys install an AC outlet by the projector on the ceiling and plug it in or is there another solution? I would like to plug the projector to a Power Center like Monster HTS 3600 located in my cabinet .. how can I do that .. running an extension from the projector does look like a good solution,

as you can see I'm having lots of question on how to mount my projector and any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

What you'll want to do is put the shelf on the wall like a normal shelf, then you have two options
1) Buy a normal ceiling mount for the PJ and mount it to the shelf just as you would mount it to a ceiling.
2) Build your own custom mount into the bottom of the shelf to attach the PJ to.
There are plenty of other posts of people with pictures of their PJs installed like this.

As for the power, the correct way to do it would be to have an AC outlet near the PJ and run power from your PJ to the outlet. Now when you're talking about connecting it to a power center I don't know if there is any way to do that without being "out-of-code" when it comes to electrical runs... to my understanding as to what you are saying that would involve a VERY long "extension cord" that would run inside the walls...?

Mark
XBox 360 Gamertag: Y2KFirehawk
post #114 of 129 Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 AM

Thanks .. I didn't think about Mounting it under the Shelf as if the shelf was a flat ceiling .. this is a great idea .. I'll search for other post with solution like that.

Yes, for the Power, I was thinking about an extension in the Wall but it cannot be done because of Electric code as you mentioned .. but I think I could just have and outlet by the projector and another one in my cabinet that won't have any electricity attcahed to them (act as an extension) .. I would plug my projector in the ceiling outlet and plug a power cord from the Power Center to the other outlet in the cabinet. That should work right ? ...

Now .. I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to plug a ceiling mount in a power center/surge protector and not directly to the electrical outlet (basically to project for electrical surge and clean the power to the projector). Does it sounds like a crazy idea, if you have a ceiling mount projector plug to a power center/surge protector .. how did you do it ?

Thanks
post #115 of 129 Old 01-11-2007, 11:03 AM

I finally got my projector and mount "mounted" last night. I had an impossible time finding the acrylic sheet in 1/4" and the metric bolts locally. I ended up ordering both from internet suppliers. So my mount ended up at the $30 mark. I can't remember the place I ordered the metric bolts and nuts from, but they charged $5 or $6 for shipping bringing my total to $10 for that order alone. The acrylic I got from www.delviesplastics.com which was $10 shipped for a 12"x12"x0.25" sheet. It's a great design though. I'm using the HC3000 which has the same footprint as the HD1000 I think.

The mount let me adjust for tilt and pitch which is nice. I had some little plastic levels that I put on top of the projector to check it's alignment. I mounted the screen after I put the image on the wall. I used the Mitsu projector calculator to get me the distance from the front wall back that I needed to mount the projector based on my screen dimensions. Lateral adjustments are tricky at best. Basically just turn the projector or pipe at one of the flanges. It takes a few tries to get it right but be carefull if you are just using those sheetrock screws as you can pull thing out of the ceiling if you are really hamfisted. My theater room is still under major construction or I would post some screen shots. It should all be together though by the end of the month and post some pictures then.

Steve
post #116 of 129 Old 01-11-2007, 12:07 PM

I am making my own mount for HD1000. What is the screw size for mounting holes in the projector base?
post #117 of 129 Old 01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psraj View Post

I am making my own mount for HD1000. What is the screw size for mounting holes in the projector base?

They are metric #4 screws.
post #118 of 129 Old 01-11-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaugans View Post

They are metric #4 screws.

Thanks a lot Bmaugans.
Is there any place I can look for the layout positioning and distance measurement between the screw holes. I am awaiting the delivery of the projector, but trying to get the mount ready before I get it. So that once I have the HD1000 I can replace my H31 without much downtime.

Thanks again.
post #119 of 129 Old 01-11-2007, 02:18 PM

psraj,

Here is how I did it. Place an 8.5x11 sheet of printer paper on top (bottom) of the projector. Take a pencil and lightly scribe over the holes. Make sure you hold the paper steady for this or use some scotch tape to hold the paper in place. There are 3 holes. When you are finished take the paper off the projector and tape it to your mounting plate (either acrylic, aluminum, wood). Now drill a small pilot hole in the center of each of your traced holes. Then drill the hole to the correct size. Take the paper off and your done.

My acrylic sheet had protective paper on both sides that had to be peeled off. I left the paper on for all of my drilling operations. The most difficult part is drilling the large hole for the cables to pass through. I drilled a large hole and then used my dremel to open it up a little more.

Make sure that your power cord and your video cables are able to pass through your pipe before you mount everything up. I ended up having to shave a small piece off of each corner of my power cord before it would fit through the pipe.

Steve
post #120 of 129 Old 01-25-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Heads up guys,
Mountdirect has a good price with their ceiling mounts (pms, npl)
but try not to deal with STEVE he is very rude and does not have any phone
etiquette at all. I called to follow up my order on pms ceiling mount
I ordered yesterday I am just making sure that they will ship it today like
they told me before I ordered mine in their website. He sounds like
he is not interested talking with me or customers. Very poor customer service so far
hopefully I get my ceiling mount in timely manner.

Peter

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page